Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship Games

WubBeast

I liked this one slightly better than the other 2,but that doesnt mean it has its problems. Which I found watching a livestream of the movie,but I am getting ahead of myself. 

The Bad

• Okay one thing I absolute hated was the songs; Yes I didn't like the sings,sue me. The reason is why is because there were generic as hell. I mean Twilight's was "the character wanting more in life" song.  Heck I would consider this movies music to on par with Tom and Jerry the movie, yes I went there. I don't even remember one song as I type this 
  • Two glaring plot-holes, that annoyed me thought, that I am noticing no one here is bring up.   The first one is that EQG Twilight invented a machine,she herself doesn't how it works , WTF. That would be like Tony Stark inventing the Iron Man armor and not know how it works. Two, Twilight is still in high school, WTF. If can can invented something like device she made she should be going to university 
  • Principal for Crystal Prep sucks and she's on par with the villains from Catwoman, yes that movie

The Good

• I loved both Sunset and Twilight character throughout this film and they portray anti-social behavior really well, kudos
  • I absolute loved the climax,now thats how you do a climax. I even say its on par with the likes of Doctor Who's climaxes. Yeah I mean  when Twilight rips space and time and turns evil,yes and Sunset turning something like Greek Goddess yes that is what I have been waiting for
  • The rivalry was somewhat fun to watch,but I am glad the film didn't turn out the way I thought it would.
  • The mid credits,funny as hell.

Overall

78/100

C+

Edited by COBLoneWolf

I gotta say, as happy as i am seeing Shining Armor in Equestria Girls, he seemed......out of character for me. He seemed like an arrogant snobby jerk, rather than the laid-back loving big brother he's supposed to be. Heck, even calling his sister Twiley sounded condescending to me.

Edited by ggg-2

Okay one thing I absolute hated was the songs; Yes I didn't like the sings,sue me. The reason is why is because there were generic as hell. I mean Twilight was "the character wanting more in life" song.  Heck I would consider this movies music to on par with Tom and Jerry the movie, yes I went there. I don't even remember one song as I type this 

I agree, I still like Rainbow Rocks more than Friendship Games, especially for music. The Friendship Games music wasn't as good as I expected.

Also, would have liked to have more dialogue and overall screen time and interaction between the mane 6 and the crystal prep girls.

The only real bad thing about it is that now I can't use my antagonist idea (Well-intentioned human scientist tries to combine magic and technology, only to end up threatening the dimensional balance.) in a fanfic without looking like a big, fat plagiarist.

Edited by A.V.

I'm one of the few who absolutely detested Rainbow Rocks, mostly because of how predictable everything was. But Friendship Games felt a lot more engaging, and is IMO the best Equestria Girls movie so far. Seeing Twilight steal everyone's magic while having good intentions made her a much more interesting antagonist than another generic "Take-over-the-world" villain.

The best part about the movie, however, is the lack of Flash Sentry. It seems like the writers realized that they messed up any chance of having the fandom accept him, so they just gave him a few small cameos and nearly no hints of love between him and Twilight.

My biggest complaint would be that the ending felt like a repeat of EQG1. Please, if you make another movie, go in another direction than "Someone turns into a demon and shoots lasers everywhere" for the climax.

Another problem would be that the motocross race was not immediately cancelled when the evil plants showed up. What kind of principal are Celestia and Abacus if they do not intervene when their students' lives are put at risk?

As for the songs, they were pretty meh. But at least they tried to do different genres than generic radio pop, unlike the last two movies. I'm also in the minority of those who don't like the musical numbers, and this movie did nothing to change my mind. I have to admit that "Unleash The Magic" was pretty cool, though.

• Brohoof 3

OMG

This was just amazing. I wonder what's gonna happen to Cinch...

And...there's a break in the time-space continuum...

But...the last battle scene was too predictable...could've done something else...

Edited by C. Thunder Dash
  • Brohoof 1

Ughhh, I hope the EQG series ends with this Twilogy. It seemed so paint by numbers, the songs were incredibly weak, and villain so cliche. Just focus on the ponies in Equestria now that everything has been "righted" in the "human" world. :okiedokielokie: Stop trying to make MLP a Monster High rip-off. :lie:

I did. Did you notice that one of the students on the Crystal Prep bus was Trenderhoof? Wow, I'm not usually one to notice small details like that. Nice cameos were one of the things I liked about this movie and I'm also glad Cadance and Shining Armor made their EQG debut. Having EQG Twilight learn about friendship and having Sunset be the one to show her the way is also kind of neat, if a little cliched. I also like that magic is now tied to the Mane Six's elements, not just music, and that actually does make more sense than music activating it, though I have long since resigned myself to the writers moving the goal posts regarding how magic works in this world. The songs aren't bad either.

Now for what I didn't like as much. Principal Cinch is a very cliched villain, and I fail to see how losing once at a competition that somehow only exists between two schools for some reason would affect her reputation that much. Come to think of it, if it's such serious business why aren't any other schools in on it? While the songs aren't bad, I also don't think they're that great. Usually there is at least one tune that sticks out to me, and I just can't say that's the case here. Overall though, I enjoyed it. I don't think it's my favourite EQG film but I didn't hate it. Hopefully the BluRay/DVD cut will add some nice additional scenes.

Yes I noticed tenderhoof. I also noticed the bitch who stole rarity's fashion line from the season 4 episode in mane hasten (I don't remember what it's called.) It wasn't coco, it was who coco was assisting for.

DHX continues to impress, and that's no different with this title. I could make a page long essay over this review, but to keep it brief, ill just choose 3 pros, 3 cons, and then my final thoughts. Spoilers Obviously.

Pros:

-Animation. My god was the animation fantastic! The sheer amount of camera pans, cinematic shots, and background movements made this movie easily one of the most impressive animations in MLP history. Seriously watch it again (you were going to anyway), and just pay attention to the animation.

-Writing. This has always been a hallmark of the My Little Pony series. The characters felt so real. Remember when Twilight was crying during the archery segment, because her friends were yelling at her? Or when Sunset #rekt Twilight when she said she didn't know anything? I bet you Sunset was really yelling at herself, but unleashed it on Twilight. Those are Everest levels of writing, writing that you won't find in many other places.

-The ending. Remember when Sunset used Deus Ex Machina to defeat Twilight? Me neither, because it didn't happen. Far are we away from the times of yelling "friendship" and the problems go away. Sunset picked up that device, sucked in energy, threw it down like a grenade, then actually fought Twilight, Harry Potter Style. Sunset came full circle. She used to be on the other side, but now she finally understood friendship and wielded it like a complete bada**. She finally fulfilled what Celestia saw in her all those years ago.

Cons:

-Explanation Pinkie. This was a problem in the first EQG. Pinkie would just spout out everything everybody needed to know, and everybody would just accept it as fact. There's really nothing else I can out, it's just annoying.

-Crystal Prep. The students were advertised so heavily pre-premiere, but they were reduced to minor speaking roles, and basic bully personalities in the actual movie. Principal Cinch got a lot of the attention, but the students hardly felt like characters at all. The only exceptional thing they did was sick burn Principal Cinch at the end of the movie.

-Pacing. This, again, was a problem in the previous movies as well, even the show proper. The show creators have such ambitious ideas, but that 90 minute period really constricts them. It felt like some scenes just jumped from one to the next. I'm glad it didn't turn into a songfest like MMC, but unless they can get an extra 30 minutes, I don't think this issue will ever be resolved.

Final Thoughts:

I have a super heavy bias, becuase I love everything Equestria Girls, and am tempted to give the movie a 1000/10 IGN, but I will refrain.

I think this movie deserves respectable: 8.3/10.

The cons weren't as serious as they could have been, and the pros were quite powerful. EQG: Friendship Games had great writing, superb animation, the perfect combo of songs, but with a few cons holding it back, mainly pacing.

It was okay. Twilight is what saved it. Sunset is also a good character and the contest is fun to watch. And of course the ending was pretty cool (although I think it could have lasted longer). The rest however is just uninteresting. And I still want Flash to die. 

Twilight didn't answer their messages because she was in caught in a time loop? This has to be a sting.

TIME TRAVEL LOOP?!?!?!?!?!!? WTF TWILIGHT????

Yup, Season 5's finale involves time travel

-

And once again, an omnicidal maniac is forgiven with ease

Edited by The Nth Doctor

Wow! I really enjoyed Friendship Games.

I don't know if I like it as much as Rainbow Rocks, but at least by the end of the movie it is close.

My favorite parts were Unleash the Magic and that awesome climax with portals to equestria opening and Midnight Sparkle vs Sunset Shimmer.

I am a little disappointed that Discovery Family cut out Dance Magic and Right There in Front of Me, but besides that I had a pretty good time watching the movie.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

It is good, if anything and I love Shimmer all the more from the movies!  Also human Twilight was a win and a good shout back to the first season of Twilight in how she was and how it all started out!

The part where Twilight becomes evil basically just became an Anime.

The Sunset Shimmer vs Twilight Sparkle was really awesome. Twilight's villain design was just so badass and then Sunset Shimmers Golden Phoenix Design. A beautiful angel by god.

This angle really blew me away:

z2LCWoY.png

This angle= Anime. Never seen before in these movies with the beautiful white backround, basically heaven like.

The way Sunset approached Twilight saying "Take my hand Twilight, Let me show you there's another way". To me religiously, Sunset is one of Gods precious angels. Giving her a second chance at life the right way just like she had.

• Brohoof 9

Celestia and Luna laughing it off when Cinch is going to get the school board involved. Yes, laugh while you can when the safety of the students is brought up on those three separate incidents.

If Cinch is going to do it, she'll need actual evidence like video.

Human Twilight following in Princess Twilight's footsteps. *Sigh.*

Edited by Singe

Yes I noticed tenderhoof. I also noticed the bitch who stole rarity's fashion line from the season 4 episode in mane hasten (I don't remember what it's called.) It wasn't coco, it was who coco was assisting for.

It's called "Rarity Takes Manehatten", and that bitch that stole (actually Rarity gave it to her, but whatever) is called Suri Polomare. And I'll have to watch again to see if I spot her ( I'm watching again anyway, but I'll look for her this time). I also got Trenderhoof. I'm pretty sure that the one with goggles was Lightning Dust, even had lightning earrings.

SPOILER ALERT! I got my chance to see "Equestria Girls: Friendship Games". I liked it. I thought Sunset Shimmer and human Twilight were great. One thing I noticed right away was that Josh Haber seemed to keep the story on focus much more effectively. I love Meghan McCarthy's writing but her way of writing EG seems to have a lot of extra stuff in it that doesn't need to be there. I loved how human Twilight was definitely her own character. She had the brains and drive of pony Twilight but she is more shy, scared and reserved. I liked how the magic appeared when the mane 5 used their 'elements'. Sunset was definitely fulfilling the role that pony Twilight usually has. I think if there are any more EG movies Sunset Shimmer will be like the new element of magic. I know some of my followers must be relieved that Sunset is still in the human world. I hate the Crystal Prep principal for manipulating human Twilight the way she did. The transformation sequence was cool. I'v heard human Twilight's "creature" is called "Midnight Sparkle" or something like that. Tara Strong does good evil voices. As soon as I saw Sunset Shimmer and Twilight transform I asked myself one huge nagging question "WHY DO THEY HAVE HORNS IN THIS MOVIE BUT NOT THE OTHER MOVIES?" See? post-26379-0-48524200-1443384236.png  post-26379-0-62423000-1443384255.png I mean I know the magic was released a different way but come on! Really? It was super touching how Sunset Shimmer helped Twilight. I also loved how pony Twilight popped through the portal at the end. Super cute! At least that proves pony Twi and human Twi are indeed separate individuals. I noticed pony Twilight mentioned a time travel vortex or something so I wonder if this movie takes place during the season 5 finale with Starlight Glimmer?? If Twilight and the pony characters were time traveling or something that would explain why they never noticed giant holes in Equestria! The things I didn't like were that principal Celestia said they were "all winners" when the movie originally seemed to suggest a neat comment on how phony public schools are about creating "unity" when it's all contrived. That line was a buzz kill. I wish it was something like "friendship is more important than winning" etc. I also felt that Rainbow Rocks was more exciting and had better music.   And this isn't really a fault with the movie but I wish we saw the human characters go to Equestria and end up with pony bodies. They ended up in Equestria almost after all. 

• Brohoof 1

It's called "Rarity Takes Manehatten", and that bitch that stole (actually Rarity gave it to her, but whatever) is called Suri Polomare. And I'll have to watch again to see if I spot her ( I'm watching again anyway, but I'll look for her this time). I also got Trenderhoof. I'm pretty sure that the one with goggles was Lightning Dust, even had lightning earrings.

The one with goggles was Indigo Zap....who might as well just been Lightning Dust(LD even had a prototype doll :P)

large.png

• Brohoof 1