Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Naming Your Children After MLP Characters?

SticksLikeGlue

110 users have voted

1. 1. Would you name your child after a MLP character?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Explain)

Hecky no.

I would completely understand if my children hated me if I gave them a MLP name. That's something that is going to stick with them for life...

That would also set up your poor little ones for being teased DX

• Brohoof 1

One should at least be given a chance to be normal before they go off the grid, though. Giving a child a legal name that is anything but normal is going to send them immediately into the outcast group.

Maybe the problem is that not everyone is treated as equals. Being normal sounds like owning another person's interpretation of the world.

Edited by Silver Letter

Yeah, as much as I love this show, I wouldn't do that. If I were a famous celebrity I would practically be mandated to name my kid something that will sound stupid to the majority of people, but alas, I'm not a famous celebrity so I plan to name my kids something normal sounding. As a casual otaku I once mused that if I had a girl I would probably give her something Japanese as a middle name after a normal Western style first name, such as Samantha Ayumi, but the difference there is that Japanese names are names used in real life, and I think Ayumi sounds pretty. That and I doubt my daughter would get bullied for something like that.

This is all conjecture on my part as I don't plan on having kids for a long time, but I most certainly wouldn't give my kid a pony name unless it was something that could pass as a normal name, such as Lyra or Luna. I've already kind of decided what I plan to name a son if I have one, as long as my future wife will be ok with it, and it will be a normal sounding name, trust me. I'll most certainly continue to show my affinity for this series in other ways, but naming my kids after characters in the show is a little much for me.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna have to go with Other.

I mean, as someone who is an athiest, I see naming a child Jesus, Mohammed, or Hercules to be just as silly as naming your child Rainbow Dash. I know Jesus, Mohammed existed, but to me, what they're remembered for is legend. Like Hercules probably existed, but he never actually did the things he did. He was probably just a really strong man who was kept alive through story. Like our John Henry, stories that become exaggerated and become myths. And at the end of the day, I see people naming their children after what I consider to be fictional characters.

And we often name our kids after such important figures. My name comes from a soccer player my dad admired, Carlos Alberto.

So, if someone named their child Twilight, I don't think it would be weird. We do it all the time. I want to name one of my kids Ness (if not first, then at least middle name), because I feel the name represents bravery, good-will,kindness, and independence.

But I didn't choose yes, because I can't think of an MLP name that sounds well in real life. Rainbow Dash just doesn't seem like it would be convenient. Too long, too, I guess, pressuring. Haha I mean, imagine being a slow person named Rainbow Dash. The name is already too descriptive. Luna is the only name that MAYBE I would consider, but even that one is a bit off for me. The other names I couldn't take seriously.

To each their own.

My cousin named her son Zen and my other cousins and I thought it was a silly name, but it's not our call.

I guess you just gotta pick a name that isn't too silly. Like Jimmy Buttlicker.

Edited by pollo20x6

I entered "other" on this, because it really does depend what the name is.

I can see someone naming their child Celestia, Luna, Maud, Cadance, or Lyra. These are actual human names, and a kid wouldn't get teased for having one of these. I personally wouldn't name them after a pastel pony cartoon, and certainly wouldn't tell them they were, but it's not that bad.

But if anyone thinks naming their children Pinkie, Rainbow, Rarity, you get the idea, why do you have kids in the first place? It's not cute, because they aren't pets. They're going to get bullied, and I'm almost entirely sure that most people would not enjoy being so explicitly named after a cartoon show for kids. (And as an example, that unfortunate person who has to announce they are getting engaged to Pinkie Pie).

• Brohoof 2

I SWEAR I remember hearing that Britt McKillip, who voiced Princess Cadence, has a daughter named Cadence who (this blew my mind) is the singing voice for Cadence. I can't remember where I heard that, I've been trying to look it up, but I remember hearing that somewhere.

I'm pretty sure Britt does the singing and speaking for Cadence. I Googled her just to be certain.I know she's in a band with her sister, who is named Carly. I saw no mention of her having a daughter.

Edited by Aurora Storm

There have certainly been weirder names. In fact, I read about a child who was placed in foster care because his parents named him Adolf Hitler. However, it does seem more like they are a pet if you name them after a pony. Names like Lyra or Octavia would probably work though.

Edited by FlutterFly761

I don't believe that you should name a child after any fictional character. Honestly I'm even iffy on naming them after family members. Your child should see their name as giving them their own identity, and I think that naming someone after someone else gives you these sort of subconscious expectations of them.

As for whether I think that "Twilight" is an appropriate name for a person in and of itself, outside of the relation to a certain purple horse, ehh. I think it's fine, as far as names go I don't think it's any more or less absurd than "Ashleeghy" or whatever special snowflake alternate spelling of an extremely common name is popular these days. (Yeah, could rant about that but it's not entirely on topic)

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if anybody's said this or not, but Frank Zappa named two of his children Moon Unit and Diva Muffin. I've known people with names like Talon, Tilsen, and Rook. Naming your children after characters with names like Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash isn't unheard of. It's not something I would do, but I'm not necessarily saying I have any problems with it.

I believe that CERTIAN names are (or can) ok, if used correctly ... example Amy Lyra Smith ... I know its a shitty example, but I'm still making a point.

When its not a good way would be for example ... Bulk Best Pony Biceps ... even though Bulk isnt best pony xD

While saying all this, I know I dont want kids so I think I'm in the clear. But if I ever did want kids, I would pick John (if male) or Ashely (if female)

Lyra and Luna are already names, so those would work. I could also sort of see using Celestia, and maybe you could use Rarity in a pinch.

Any of those are better than the recent trend of giving kids last names as first names.

Last names that may not work as a first name

Do

Hooves

Pie

Heartstrings

Whooves

Scratch (thou I think that's a good name for a cat xDDDD that pun thou xDDD)

Melody

Gummy (I know gummy has no last name but I wanted to add him to the list :D)

Blood

Need I continue?

Anyways, only certain names can work, like how Scootaloo Is Best Filly has said

Dash COULD be a good boys name, BUT ONLY if the middle name and last name do it justice

Nope. Naming my son if i father an heir to the Campbell family throne after myself.

As long as it's not used as the first name ... For example ... Campbell Ashely xDDDDD

And I should know that as my last name actually IS Campbell as well :/

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna have to go with Other.

I mean, as someone who is an athiest, I see naming a child Jesus, Mohammed, or Hercules to be just as silly as naming your child Rainbow Dash. I know Jesus, Mohammed existed, but to me, what they're remembered for is legend. Like Hercules probably existed, but he never actually did the things he did. He was probably just a really strong man who was kept alive through story. Like our John Henry, stories that become exaggerated and become myths. And at the end of the day, I see people naming their children after what I consider to be fictional characters.

And we often name our kids after such important figures. My name comes from a soccer player my dad admired, Carlos Alberto.

So, if someone named their child Twilight, I don't think it would be weird. We do it all the time. I want to name one of my kids Ness (if not first, then at least middle name), because I feel the name represents bravery, good-will,kindness, and independence.

But I didn't choose yes, because I can't think of an MLP name that sounds well in real life. Rainbow Dash just doesn't seem like it would be convenient. Too long, too, I guess, pressuring. Haha I mean, imagine being a slow person named Rainbow Dash. The name is already too descriptive. Luna is the only name that MAYBE I would consider, but even that one is a bit off for me. The other names I couldn't take seriously.

To each their own.

My cousin named her son Zen and my other cousins and I thought it was a silly name, but it's not our call.

I guess you just gotta pick a name that isn't too silly. Like Jimmy Buttlicker.

My father originally wanted to call me Cassius after his boyhood hero Mohammad Ali, I would say it's a little different as Mohammad Ali was a real person and a very inspirational figure, MLP characters are just 22 minutes of entertainment. My mother vetoed the name and eventually I was named Kurtis, very debatable if that's a good name or not.

Yikes, some people are getting pretty upset about all this. o.o

Personally, I think it's okay to an extent. I like unique names, but if it's too out there, it may be better to choose something else and use the pony name as a nickname instead of a legal name. :P

Like, I wouldn't name a kid Pinkie, but Cadence is a pretty normal name. If I wanted to name a kid after, say.... Applebloom, I'd probably find a way to make a subtle hint towards it. Like, maybe I'd give her a common flower name, and find baby outfits that resemble Applebloom's color scheme.

I guess it just depends on the situation. There are kids out there named Espn and Moon Unit, so names that are out there have been done, and they can seem kinda odd. But sometimes they work, like the girl I know who's name is Rhythm. I think that's really cool!

So... yeah. I guess I don't know for sure. I'd have to decide on a case by case basis. :P

• Brohoof 1

As a kid I wanted a daughter named Scootaloo because I liked her a lot... then I realized how bad of an idea that was... now Isabelle if a girl and Austin if a guy (or if twin guys Rex and Ray)... tis if I marry or if the wife agrees.

• Brohoof 1

Coming back to this.

I tried to put off thinking about it, but I couldn't help cooking up potential names.

If I ever have a daughter, Luna Cortana or Lyra Zelda sound like good name candidates (C & Z being middle names).

For a son, I'd say Soren (gotta spell it normally :P ) or Tristan.

Tristan obviously isn't a pony name. That's the name of my best friend from years ago.

I actually chose Soren a good while ago, as that is the name of two fictional characters I like from Halo and Guardians of Ga'Hoole.

Luna, same story (Harry Po-po). Lyra I just settled on because it sounds so beautiful. I bet you can guess where I pulled the other two names from. :D

I reiterate, I don't plan on having kids, and even if I did, I wouldn't have a problem with the mother deciding the names.

As a kid I wanted a daughter named Scootaloo because I liked her a lot... then I realized how bad of an idea that was... now Isabelle if a girl and Austin if a guy (or if twin guys Rex and Ray)... tis if I marry or if the wife agrees.

Scootaloo would definitely be a name that would ruin a child's self-esteem.