Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is anypony else in it for the fandom?

Shamira

If I'm being all that truthful, I don't like the show that much. Don't get me wrong, I can see the show is good and can have great episodes, it's just not the sort of show I would watch above others. The only reason I started watching the show was so I knew what everypony was talking about in the fandom, and so I could have more enjoyment when watching analyst ponies reviews on the episodes. I got into this fandom through the Mysterious Mr Enter's reviews, which led me to finally checking out the show, which led to me checking out other pony reviewers such as Firebrand and Silver Quill. And it is because of these reviewers that I'm still watching the show, if it wasn't for the comedy and effort of reviewers like Silver Quill and Firebrand I probably would have lost interest in the show and stopped watching, but I continue to watch so I can get more enjoyment and understanding out of their reviews.

• Brohoof 1

i was. But at the time i really liked the show. now that i finished i just care so much less about the show, and don't even really call myself a brony nomore. but i still like talking to people. :)

BEECAUSE FRIIENDSHIP IS MAAAGIC!!!

I used to absolutely love the show during seasons 1 & 2, but when season 3 rolled out it started to diminish a bit to me. Now don't get me wrong I still like the show (I'm actually rewatching it on Netflix) but it isn't as much as I used to. Fandom wise it's been really fun for me over the past 5 years and I'm pretty certain it's helped me keep more interest in the show than if I wasn't in the fandom.

I guess I'm somewhat on the same boat as you, or at least a similar looking one anyway. 

At this rate, yes. I am no longer interested interested in the show itself because I just want to find other shows I want to enjoy. That, and I am not too crazy about the path this show has taken from Season 5 onwards. But I still stay in the fandom because I've met many great friends here. I'll also gladly draw MLP:FiM fanart and have discussions with other people regarding the show.

I don't actually really know, what i should do with this fandom, once my interest in the show is weakening, or once the show is actually finished. I really like to discuss episodes of the show, whether they are good or bad, but i find speculation, or creating headcanons a waste of my time, because there is a big chance that it's not true in the first place and people like to think that the show is deeper, then it actually is. Same goes for fanons.

I also don't really like Brony Music and my interest in Pony fanfiction is also getting weaker, because there are hardly any original ideas, or if their are, it has mostly something to do with gore or anything, something that dosen't fit in the universe for me. The Fanart is nice, but it's nothing that would make me stay in the fandom.

I think once the show is over, i will also be gone. Not because i will hate the fandom then, but because i want to close this chapter of my life then, since being a part of a fandom my whole life, isn't really something i have planned.

I dunno, I think I wouldn't joined pony if not were for the existence of male adult fans, so, I guess I am. The fandom is what keeps me in pony? Well, not mainly, I still love the show, and seeing what stuff my favorite horses will go through, but thanks to the fandom, it keeps my interest in the show during hiatuses and stuff. I mostly consume fan art, some games and fics. I think I don't need the fandom to keep me interested in horses, it just wouldn't be as fun without it 

I'm as fervent a supporter of the fandom as you can find, but I'm in it for the show. The fandom is a bonus where I talk to others; discuss or review objectively good, average, and bad episodes; and publish my content.

for the actual fandom, no , the show is decent but the fandom ruins it in alot of ways.

The fandom does a lot of things, but you're wrong to say it ruins the show regardless of capacity. To say the fandom helps ruin FIM is like saying Teen Titans Go! helps ruin Young Justice because TTG! replaced it. It's classic scapegoating. Fans are a bonus and affect neither the product itself nor the person's enjoyment of it thereof.

• Brohoof 3

I'm as fervent a supporter of the fandom as you can find, but I'm in it for the show. The fandom is a bonus where I talk to others; discuss or review objectively good, average, and bad episodes; and publish my content.

The fandom does a lot of things, but you're wrong to say it ruins the show regardless of capacity. To say the fandom helps ruin FIM is like saying Teen Titans Go! helps ruin Young Justice because TTG! replaced it. It's classic scapegoating. Fans are a bonus and affect neither the product itself nor the person's enjoyment of it thereof.

I was referring to the fact there are alot of people in the fandom who take it to the extreme, and that is just basing off videos I have seen, YT / twitter / social media comments, it puts me off a show because I would not want to be associated with such people in some cases

No, it never really was about the show even though I still love watching it and I wouldn't be here had I not been forced to watch it five years ago or the fandom even though it's great, but something much more worthwhile.

Edited by Rainbow Dashe

I was referring to the fact there are alot of people in the fandom who take it to the extreme, and that is just basing off videos I have seen, YT / twitter / social media comments, it puts me off a show because I would not want to be associated with such people in some cases

Then what would you do if any, many, or all of these same "crazies" "infect" other fandoms? Would you abandon or refuse to take part of those products, too? If the answer is yes, then rather than running away from the stereotypes, you build yourself under one, and you tell me you have no solid interest in anything you claim to like.

Every one of us has to deal with people we don't like, but to take the ball and run away in hopes of staying away from stereotypes is a lazy way to do it. In fact, it doesn't work. In general, people don't have one interest, but a multitude of 'em. Bronies are no exception; a good chunk of them are Whovians, Potterheads, SU fans, sports fans, etc. By scapegoating fanbases, you're pandering to the stereotypes and encouraging them to continue. Don't run away from the stereotypes, do speak out against the stereotypes.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

I'm in it for both. Though I still have a lot of catching up to do on the show. I usually become a fan of the thing first, and then I look into the fandom to see what's they're like. And usually I become a "fan" of the fandom too. :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm still very much into watching the show. I've become less interested in analysis, more interested in fan art, only just made my own videos parodying the show. I've only joined these very forums and gotten involved with other fans at all since july.

• Brohoof 1

Both. This show changed my life in a great way. I wouldn't be on the career track that I am now without it. In addition, the fandom is how I've made friends I never would have met without it.

To me, there is no separating the better aspects of the show and fandom, they are one in the same. It hurts a little inside when I see people no longer call themselves bronies yet still linger in the fandom because I feel like they're missing out or missed the point, or had a bad experience I wish I could show them doesn't have to define their view of the fandom.

To me, being a brony is something I wear like a badge, a title, a central part of who I am along with being an idealist, spiritual, and a patriot. (In fact, my inherent patriotism might be why I'm so loyal to the show and fandom. One can be patriotic to more than just one's country after all.)

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really active in the fandom, the only thing I really have is this forum account (that I'm active in at least... I have a tumblr but I don't post anything, I only go on it for looking at fanart).  I really love the show and I watch it all the time.  I don't feel a lot of excitement during breaks between the seasons, but I definitely feel the hype when the new season comes and a new episode comes out.

I mean I watch YouTube videos of ponies and get my daily dose and all that but I don't do much other than that.  But I like being in the fandom.

Edited by shy0wl

Of course. I came for the show and stayed for the fandom.

There are some parts/groups/people in it that I steer clear from for one reason or another, but you'll find bad apples in any community, especially larger ones such as this. And I don't think anyone would deny the majority of the fandom is, if anything, passionate. If there is something we have to say, we're going to make you hear it. It's both a blessing and a curse.

But in the end, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with this fandom, with everyone here. There is no one I'd go so far as to call an enemy within it, even the people I may disagree with, because I respect their opinions, and those are something we definitely have a lot of.

If I'm being all that truthful, I don't like the show that much. Don't get me wrong, I can see the show is good and can have great episodes, it's just not the sort of show I would watch above others. The only reason I started watching the show was so I knew what everypony was talking about in the fandom, and so I could have more enjoyment when watching analyst ponies reviews on the episodes. I got into this fandom through the Mysterious Mr Enter's reviews, which led me to finally checking out the show, which led to me checking out other pony reviewers such as Firebrand and Silver Quill. And it is because of these reviewers that I'm still watching the show, if it wasn't for the comedy and effort of reviewers like Silver Quill and Firebrand I probably would have lost interest in the show and stopped watching, but I continue to watch so I can get more enjoyment and understanding out of their reviews.

Hi, as this thread is more about the fandom than the actual show, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.
  • Brohoof 1

I am in it for both. To me the show and the fandom have a symbiotic relationship. The show provides ideas, and inspiration for the fandom who create numerous works of art, writings, and other things that I enjoy. Then all of the ideas, analysis, and headcanons made by the fandom have helped me to look at the show itself in different ways, and find more enjoyment in it.