Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E04 - On Your Marks

Jeric

What did you think?  

145 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT!!!!!

(edited)

Spike might finally get the development he deserves.

After how much Spike did in the premiere, it just made this episode even more promising! Josh knows what he's doing!

Also yeah, the season's going GREAT so far! Could use a little more Mane Six, but we still have 22 more episodes to go! ^_^

Edited by MegaSean45

Even though CMC episodes are usually just tolerated by me, this episode was really good. It's good that Bulk Biceps didn't end up being the focus of this episode. I think that developing background characters should be reserved for the episodes used for fanservice (such as Slice of Life). It's good to feel like this will actually be a great season, despite the blandness of the episodes prior to this one.

Pretty good episode. I enjoyed it.

Who knew Tree Hugger was a nude model in her spare time.   :awuh:

Kinda hit close to home for me on this episode as well. I have different groups of friends based on different activities. Sure, I've got a couple friends I do almost everything with. But y'know I'm into some stuff they're not, so I don't do said stuff with them. I've got other friends to do it with.Which is perfectly fine.

Like, none of my brony friends are into or get Mountain biking...but a few are gamers.  Yet some of my gamer friends are mountain bikers as well. Like we're all still friends despite not doing everything together.

• Brohoof 2

A decent start to the CMC's new arc, though it arguably could have been better. 

I can understand Apple Bloom's concerns, but at the same time, it's not like it was ever a guarantee that the CMC would each get a shared destiny. She really should have been preparing herself for the possibility that their paths could ultimately lead them in separate ways. And hell, wasn't this point even brought up in Bloom and Gloom? Why wasn't it addressed there? 

I do find something depressing about the notion that the CMC have apparently never thought to do things simply because they enjoy doing them, and have only done them for the sake of getting marks. That makes it seem as though they put their own childhoods aside in the search for cutie marks. So even when we've seen them playing before, was that just an attempt to get a cutie mark as well? 

Also, why is the idea of travelling Equestria to help ponies with cutie mark problems immediately shot down? That's exactly what they need! How much can they truly expect to be able to put their talent to good use while they're contained within Ponyville? They need to be getting out there, even if they have to bring their sisters along with them. Those could easily make for some fun episodes for their arc, while also tying into the Explore Equestria theme for this season. 

Furthermore, it definitely seems to me that the CMC are going to need their own "cutie map"--- a device to let them know exactly where a cutie mark problem is so that they aren't relegated to simply stumbling upon them completely at random, like in this episode. So who knows, maybe that'll come later on. 

Oh, and subjecting herself to public humiliation for the sake of helping a pony get his cutie mark is easily the most thoughtful and generous thing Apple Bloom has ever done, so good on her for that.  :grin:

In any case, this was a fairly good episode: decently paced with a rather heartfelt song. 

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah well, they should've just disband in the first place for Celestia's sake!

Go rewatch Bloom and Gloom

Actually, go back to Season One's "Call of the Cutie" and then rewatch every CMC episode after that

Your mindset is against everything the CMC stand  for

attachicon.gif 1128502__safe_on+your+marks_spoiler-colon-s06e04_tender+taps.png

LOOK AT IT!! LOOK AT IT!! ALL OF YOU LOOK AT IT 0_o lololol

NOTICE ME SENPAI!

Edited by The Nth Doctor

I do find something depressing about the notion that the CMC have apparently never thought to do things simply because they enjoy doing them, and have only done them for the sake of getting marks. That makes it seem as though they put their own childhoods aside in the search for cutie marks. So even when we've seen them playing before, was that just an attempt to get a cutie mark as well?

I would like to answer this question for you. :P

Getting a cutiemark is like growing up, or atleast getting into a teenage age.

I know alot of kids who can't wait to grow up, because it sounds really amazing. You can stay up as long as you want, can watch movies and play games you usually can't and you can stay on your own, without any parents.

But once they growup, they suddenly realize how much they miss their childhood. You had no care in the world, your mom and your dad took care of you and food was always on the table. Now that you growup, you have responsibilities.

Kids never realize what they miss, aslong as they remain kids.

• Brohoof 3

I know alot of kids who can't wait to grow up, because it sounds really amazing. You can stay up as long as you want, can watch movies and play games you usually can't and you can stay on your own, without any parents.

But once they growup, they suddenly realize how much they miss their childhood. You had no care in the world, your mom and your dad took care of you and food was always on the table. Now that you growup, you have responsibilities.

Kids think that being an adult means you get to do whatever you want. They couldn't be more wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, and subjecting herself to public humiliation for the sake of helping a pony get his cutie mark is easily the most thoughtful and generous thing Apple Bloom has ever done, so good on her for that. 

Totally agree with you on that. it was really sweet thing to do for him   :catface:  :wub:

Kids think that being an adult means you get to do whatever you want. They couldn't be more wrong.

actually, they are half right.

you get to do whatever you want, but get an up close and personal view of the consequences.

I really liked this episode.

It's a really nice take on facing the fears of stage fright which is very relatable to me when I was younger when I was performing piano and other arts in front of an audience. And also seeing how the CMC will continue to be relevant for the rest of the series. :)

Plus, I really liked Travis Turner's VA work as Tender Taps. He would continue to be great with VAing for sure. :D

Also, we finally got to hear Bulk Biceps speak full sentences for once!  :pinkie:

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 5

That's logical in a sense, but it's not like a cutie mark was the only thing separating them from childhood and adulthood. 

Edited by Cleverclover

Only 8 pages since the episode aired?

Is the fanbase shrinking?

Nah, the posts are just short for this episode, more posts per page cause of that. 

There's that, and the episode didn't really have all that much in the way of memorable moments and/or big discussion points other than the same things we've been saying about the CMC since before this episode.

• Brohoof 2

Alright so...

1. I ship Apple Bloom and the Genderbend Scootaloo that dances and I hope he returns

2. BUTTON MASH WAS ON THE AUDIANCE

3. Half of the episode reminded me of Story of the Blanks. Lemme explain:

Ok so story of the blanks is a horror game about blank flake grown up ponies and apple bloom find their village and bad thingies and hunting and boom. And on the cannon Equestria Map, there is a place called "Hollow Shades" which is literally a village on a forest.

And when Apple Bloom talked about her ideia of exploring the WHOLE Equestria...she problably included the village soooo...

Yeah, I think you got it. Plus, I don't really doubt it, since kids are growing up and getting more used to terror.

Anyways, back to the main point.

I really loved this episode! And funny how the window is literally the only light source on the whole club house. Plus, is it just me, or did Bulk Biceps got a bit more...bigger on this episode?

When excactly they have done something together that was completely unrelated cutie marks?

they went to go see the Hearth's Warming play together, and see the Summer Sun Celebration in ep.1
  • Brohoof 2

they went to go see the Hearth's Warming play together, and see the Summer Sun Celebration in ep.1

lol, they were probably trying to get their theatrical review cutie marks... : )

Broadway colt = Scoot's brother?

They look incredibly similar.

hundreds, probably thousands of ponies in Ponyville, seeing as how it's a decent sized town (likely bigger than Appleoosa in way of population), and out of all those ponies, no one's going to have an orange coat?

Are all black people related because they share brown skin and black/ dark brown hair? What about Asians? Caucasians?

No? Then how.much less would a magical pony whose genetics are sketchy at best, be?

• Brohoof 1

I liked the episode, but it has a few logic issues:

Something happened in this episode that I am almost as upset as some about Flurry Heart...The Baby Cakes still have old eye desings and act even younger than they used to! I was hoping for new character designs and it bothers me than they look younger than Flurry Heart despite being about 2 years old.

This is a big problem. The Cake twins look even younger here than they did in "Slice of Life."

I feel like this takes place immediately after Crusaders of the Lost Mark since they're still mooning over their marks despite having them for at least a few months by the end of Season 5

This is an even BIGGER problem. I refuse to believe the CMC have gone 11 months (the time it took Flurry to be born) without even once going back to discuss their new cutie marks.

Like you, it only makes sense that this episode is out-of-order with the season timeline and actually does in fact take place a day after "Lost Mark," maybe right after their Cutecenera.

Other plot issues include:

- It took too long for Apple Bloom to notice Tender Taps was missing his cutie mark.

- Apple Bloom goes from not being able to sing at all to doing her own musical number in a matter of moments.

On the other hand:

sig-4459669.sig-4459669.1128222__safe_sc
OK, WE GET IT, YOU WANT US TO LOOK AT YOUR BUTTS!!!Even Sea Swirl and Sassaflash seem uncertain how to feel about this

This is one of the most hilarious bits of background comedy we've gotten from the series. I had this voice of Tender Taps in my head thinking to himself, "Check out my butt! Isn't it totally awesome? Have you fine mares ever seen such a fine specimen?"

Meanwhile the look on Sea Swirl and Sassaflash's faces says it all:

"I think this colt is hitting on us or something, like maybe he wants us to rub his butt?"
"Ewww, what a little pervert! Let's just act natural and quietly get as far away from him as we can..."

:lol:

I'll have more comments about the episode after I watch it again, though I wanted to see the CMC go all Lesson Zero and try to create some cutie mark problems to fix. (Starlight's special talent might come in handy in that regard...)

• Brohoof 2

Don't forget about Flight to the Finish. The CMC's flag carrier routine had nothing to do with cutie marks, except for one joke at the end.

• Brohoof 2

I actually enjoyed this episode. Part of growing up can involve reaching a point where friends don't necessarily want to spend every moment together, and maybe what defined a friendship before has changed. It added up to a good character moment for Applebloom, and a decent first song of the season. I'm not huge on country, but I don't mind it in small doses, and I'm actually kind of surprised that we haven't really had a country ballad in FiM in spite of the Apple Family and Sweet Apple Acres being a huge part of the series. If I had one complaint it would be that it started off a little too similarly to I Know There's More That's Out There in Friendship Games. The rest of the episode is ok IMHO. It's more or less what I expected a typical CMC episode would look like going forward, but the character development moments definitely make this a good episode for me.

• Brohoof 4

This was a great episode, imo. It does a nice job of focusing on the coming of age; the CMC are getting into their "teenage phase" when friends don't always stick to you like glue, but still remain friends with you. This is something I think the Mane 6 can testify to; they don't spend every waking second with one another, yet, they're still inseparable where it counts.

Also...I see Button Mash in the audience. Hasbro don't tease me. I'm still waiting for his moment with Sweetie Belle  :unamused:

• Brohoof 2