2017 movie Most likely poor box office? Evidence.

TheMarkz0ne

It is going against Thor III, a movie which will make over $400 million on that weekend. How can MLP even hope to make 1/5th of that, when you are going against a Marvel movie?

Actually it's not. As of now it's going up against a Blade Runner reboot, and we all know how much people despise reboots of 80s movies.

Even if it was going up against Thor 3 it would still be able to make that much. Alvin and the Chipmunks was (unfortunately) able to do great business against Avatar and The Force Awakens.

And Thor will not make $400 million opening weekend. It's not even close to the hype that The Avengers and Civil War gets.

Actually it's not. As of now it's going up against a Blade Runner reboot, and we all know how much people despise reboots of 80s movies.

Even if it was going up against Thor 3 it would still be able to make that much. Alvin and the Chipmunks was (unfortunately) able to do great business against Avatar and The Force Awakens.

And Thor will not make $400 million opening weekend. It's not even close to the hype that The Avengers and Civil War gets.

Thor could make $450 globally, sorry that's what I meant after it's box office. But Thor III will make over $100m on the weekend.

Thor could make $450 globally, sorry that's what I meant after it's box office. But Thor III will make over $100m on the weekend.

$100 million opening isn't really that significant by today's standards of superhero films.

Oh really? Do you have some kind of magic machine to know that? Seriously, you make one assumption after another, without real evidence.

Avatar's hype was only from James Cameron fanboys. It made the money it did because one, the visuals were innovative for 2009, and two, 3D was unbelievably expensive at the time and it was perceived as a once in a lifetime expererience. Avatar does not stand out in this decade of filmmaking, plus 3D is a lot cheaper now, plus 3D is dying (again).

$100 million opening isn't really that significant by today's standards of superhero films.

Avatar's hype was only from James Cameron fanboys. It made the money it did because one, the visuals were innovative for 2009, and two, 3D was unbelievably expensive at the time and it was perceived as a once in a lifetime expererience. Avatar does not stand out in this decade of filmmaking, plus 3D is a lot cheaper now, plus 3D is dying (again).

so now it's only fanboys who go see certain movies? That's generalizing the movie audience and that's kinda stupid.

So is it about the critics now or not?

• Brohoof 2

so now it's only fanboys who go see certain movies? That's generalizing the movie audience and that's kinda stupid.

So is it about the critics now or not?

I said "fanboys" as in the movie didn't have an abundance of pre-conceived hype besides people who really like James Cameron. It's box office juggernaut was essentially a surprise.

And the Critics did like Avatar a lot. Now, I think the film is pretty meh, but the critics didn't. It got nominated for best picture.

(edited)

I said "fanboys" as in the movie didn't have an abundance of pre-conceived hype besides people who really like James Cameron. It's box office juggernaut was essentially a surprise.

And the Critics did like Avatar a lot. Now, I think the film is pretty meh, but the critics didn't. It got nominated for best picture.

You're still forgetting about the stigma that FiM has surrounding it.  There is so much negativity floating around the Internet and public regarding the franchise that many fans to this day are afraid to give even the slightest indication in public that they like the series.  You don't get this with Marvel or DC.  Even if they release a crappy movie, people can still go see it without fear of that stigma.  I can go out and buy a DVD of Sailor Moon, and grown men will go 'Yeah.  Right on.'.  But a DVD of FiM will get funny looks from those same people and some of them might think I'm a weirdo.  This is the stigma I'm talking about.

Because of this, Bronies are split into two categories:  Open Bronies and Closet Bronies.  Open Bronies only make up around a third of the fanbase (and that's being generous; I have doubts the number is that high).  These are the people that will go to see the movie (besides really young kids who actually learn about its existence and are fans of MLP, which isn't every kid in the nation, by the way).

And Closet Bronies make up the rest.  These people are the overwhelming majority of the fanbase, and are likely NOT going to go see the movie, because they don't want to publicly be associated with the franchise and harassed by others because of it.  They are the people that just don't want to deal with that kind of stress.  So they will likely refrain from seeing it.  These are also the people that will bolster DVD and Blu-Ray sales, since it's easier to stay anonymous when buying a DVD than it is when going to a movie theatre.

If you want to make a box office prediction with the slightest chance of having any degree of accuracy, this is not something you can ignore.  Especially since this is going to happen.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

2.) Your Batman v Superman movies... Warner brothers makes under $300 million, and everyone gives them bad reviews because Iron Man or Captain America aren't in it. 

No offense but Batman V Superman is a terrible example of this because of the fact that Batman V Superman had a ton of actual flaws which was the actual reason it got such bad reviews. 

Edited by Yamet

You're still forgetting about the stigma that FiM has surrounding it.  There is so much negativity floating around the Internet and public regarding the franchise that many fans to this day are afraid to give even the slightest indication in public that they like the series.  You don't get this with Marvel or DC.  Even if they release a crappy movie, people can still go see it without fear of that stigma.  I can go out and buy a DVD of Sailor Moon, and grown men will go 'Yeah.  Right on.'.  But a DVD of FiM will get funny looks from those same people and some of them might think I'm a weirdo.  This is the stigma I'm talking about.

Because of this, Bronies are split into two categories:  Open Bronies and Closet Bronies.  Open Bronies only make up around a third of the fanbase (and that's being generous; I have doubts the number is that high).  These are the people that will go to see the movie (besides really young kids who actually learn about its existence and are fans of MLP, which isn't every kid in the nation, by the way).

And Closet Bronies make up the rest.  These people are the overwhelming majority of the fanbase, and are likely NOT going to go see the movie, because they don't want to publicly be associated with the franchise and harassed by others because of it.  They are the people that just don't want to deal with that kind of stress.  So they will likely refrain from seeing it.  These are also the people that will bolster DVD and Blu-Ray sales, since it's easier to stay anonymous when buying a DVD than it is when going to a movie theatre.

If you want to make a box office prediction with the slightest chance of having any degree of accuracy, this is not something you can ignore.  Especially since this is going to happen.

That mainly applies to Male bronies and not female bronies though: Adult girls wearing or liking MLP in public is generally seen as 100% okay since its a girls franchise.

(edited)
That mainly applies to Male bronies and not female bronies though: Adult girls wearing or liking MLP in public is generally seen as 100% okay since its a girls franchise.

This is true.  But you have to understand that they are also open bronies.  Closet bronies still outnumber the open ones by about 2 to 1.  And I guarantee you there are female bronies among them that we don't even know about.

The point is, there are going to be a lot of people that will refrain from going to the theatres to see this, because they know the stigma that MLP gets and how people outside of the fanbase tend to treat bronies, and they don't want to deal with the stress.  This is going to negatively impact the box office numbers, like it or not.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Given how if you're not a Disney movie, you're movie is either going to fall into these categories.

1.) Performed modestly, it made more than it's budget, an actual profit.. Something like Creed, which got under $90 million, but is considered a financial and critical success.

2.) Your Batman v Superman movies... Warner brothers makes under $300 million, and everyone gives them bad reviews because Iron Man or Captain America aren't in it. 

3.) Absolute failure like the Ratchet and Clank movie. A movie faithful to the source material, made by people who care about the product... But it's not Pixar or Disney CGI so it is garbage. 

Digressing to avoid making this entirely an anti-disney thread(kind of is) I am making points as to why the MLP movie will not make much money and will get bad reviews from critics based on the fact it isn't the same routine. The routine for the box office is your 6+ super hero movies per year, the Disney ones get financial and critical dominance, the other studios get average or poor performance. 

If something like Ratchet and Clank, a fan base greater than MLP bombed, how can MLP even dream to make at least $10 million and get the review scores?

It depends on the Marketing mainly, Ratchet & Clack Bombed because for Poor Ads, I mean "Kick some Asteroids"?. Plus in terms of the Movie, there wasn't much that stood out from every other Animated film being released, maybe in the game it worked a lot better considering how much praise was given to that as opposed to the movie. I haven't seen the movie, but nothing about the trailer screamed I needed to see how it would be; I mean I'd really like to see Angry Birds of all things. I try comparing MLP to other TV-Based movies that did well and if South Park, The Simpsons Movie, and freaking Bevies and Butt-Head Do America of all things can get good review, MLP certainly has a shot to. Also the R&C Fanbase was hyped for the Game and not so much the movie, the film was mainly just an accessory of the game. MLP is making a Movie on it's own, granted it's still based on a toyline, but the show itself is too.

Also there are at least 10 million Bronies in the world, Multiplied by average ticket prices right now, the film would easily make around $85 Million in the Box Office (Not counted the fair amount of Bronies that would see it a 2nd time depending on how good it is.). While that doesn't say much about outside the fanbase, in terms of the film itself, It'll very well make a very modest success on the Fandom alone. I know Bronies are extremely passionate about the source material, and I can tell at least 4/5th of the Fandom will see it when it comes out (Note: this is all depending on the Marketing)

Remember, Lionsgate is involved, too, and Hasbro is a Fortune 500 Company. Chances are those two will advertise the film both inside Discovery Family and out.

Lionsgate is known for "hit or miss" films. They have funded a lot of crappy movies before, remember they made 7 (soon to be 8) Saw movies lol.

(edited)

This is true.  But you have to understand that they are also open bronies.  Closet bronies still outnumber the open ones by about 2 to 1.  And I guarantee you there are female bronies among them that we don't even know about.

The point is, there are going to be a lot of people that will refrain from going to the theatres to see this, because they know the stigma that MLP gets and how people outside of the fanbase tend to treat bronies, and they don't want to deal with the stress.  This is going to negatively impact the box office numbers, like it or not.

To be fair, that stigma is starting to fade about now with the movie coming out soon. "Starting"maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Animation100

(edited)

My Little Pony will be seen as awful by the vast majority of moviegoers, so they won't watch it. Anyone who thinks themselves as manly man/normal will not watch it.

Negative reviews by the mere fact it is My Little Pony.

Full grown men watching the movies will be negatively portrayed by the media. Bronies will be insulted and be compared to pedophiles and zoophiles.

Likely the sad truth.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 1

Also there are at least 10 million Bronies in the world, Multiplied by average ticket prices right now, the film would easily make around $85 Million in the Box Office (Not counted the fair amount of Bronies that would see it a 2nd time depending on how good it is.). While that doesn't say much about outside the fanbase, in terms of the film itself, It'll very well make a very modest success on the Fandom alone. I know Bronies are extremely passionate about the source material, and I can tell at least 4/5th of the Fandom will see it when it comes out (Note: this is all depending on the Marketing)

As a german brony, i can tell you that probably most bronies outside of english speaking countries will not watch this. Not just because some of them have not enough self esteem to go there, but also because they are getting redubbed for their particular language. And i for one don't want to see that, because the german dub just kinda sucks. I think internationally, this movie won't do good.

Besides, Germany is filly funtasia country and nobody gives a damn here about MLP.

• Brohoof 1

My Little Pony will be seen as awful by the vast majority of moviegoers, so they won't watch it. Anyone who thinks themselves as manly man/normal will not watch it.

Negative reviews by the mere fact it is My Little Pony.

Full grown men watching the movies will be negatively portrayed by the media. Bronies will be insulted and be compared to pedophiles and zoophiles.

Likely the sad truth.

I think the LEGO Movie proved that critics can like anything. I doubt they would purposefully give a negative review just because of it's name. And if they did then there will be controversy if non-biased critics end up liking the film a lot.

But I would bet the IMDB score will be slightly lower with losers rating it 1/10 even though they haven't seen it, similar to DC Fanboys against Civil War.

To be fair, that stigma is starting to fade about now with the movie coming out soon. "Starting"sig-4507164.maxresdefault.jpg

Keep in mind that the guardians of harmony toyline is completely unproven; it could be a massive failure. The EQG toyline's slump shows that not everything MLP related is a guaranteed success.

And this is a HUGE gamble.

A sizeable part of me believes there will be far more media press generated towards the brony audience, most of it ignoring how good the movie actually is. The brony boom of 2012/2013 may have ended, but I'm expecting a resurgence, and while it may stir up interest, it may not be the best kind. After all, we're stuck in an age where the evaluation of gender norms is closer to the center of national attention than ever before, if ever it was.

I'm not optimistic. TV cartoons had cinematic releases, but overall haven't done well. The G1 MLP movie, Transformers: The Movie, even something critically acclaimed like Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm, didn't do well at the box office. 

We might as well be talking two differ ant audiences in TV Show vs. Movie. One has a narrow focused, devoted niche following, while the other delivers a broad spectrum appeal to a mass market. 

Even the audiences of today's most popular shows alone, would not be able to push a movie to box office succsess. Movies make some money on the direct following, but for the most part it's made from everybody else. 

Us Bronies, the casual fans & the target demographic will probably be just enough to help this movie break even.  

Here's to being pleasantly surprised. 

(edited)

I'll be honest...I'm not going to spend much time here, but as someone said, you're comparing apples to oranges, not to mention giving me any real evidence as to why this movie will fail. There are no statistics and only one past use. By this logic, more than half of the top fifty grossing movies of all-time (not adjusted for inflation) shouldn't be there. Sorry, but, I don't see any grounds for this claim. Feel free to show me evidence, and I'll gladly change my standpoint if you provide some but...as of now, I'm just confused why and how you even came to this conclusion.

Edited by Tacoma
  • Brohoof 1