Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2017 movie Most likely poor box office? Evidence.

TheMarkz0ne

I think A LOT of parents are going to take their kids. Even though viewership doesn't seem as high, the merchandise and following of the show by kids have exploded lately, based on my own observations of going to playgrounds, schools and kid centric areas. I never noticed as much pony shirts and backpacks as a do now. In fact, I'm only a fan because of that reach into the children areas, as my daughter was given a Rainbow Dash doll and then BOOM here I am. If you have a kid, you know.....the ponies have popped up everywhere.

I'm from the UK and MLP doesn't seem to be that big here There's more kids into Peppa Pig than MLP it seems.

Yeah, that's why Avatar is the most successful movie of all time, because of it's critical success. *Sarcasm*

The logic is flawed. Sure, it has something to do with it. But it's only a part of it.

Avatar's 3D gimmick made it the highest grosser.

Avatar's 3D gimmick made it the highest grosser.

See? That's not a positive aspect for me.

You can sell anybody everything and it still makes money.

(edited)

I am making an estimation of a $15 million box office for the movie.  Seeing as how Discovery owns the show, poor advertising is no excuse. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

It really all depends on how much advertising it gets. I don't even think I ever saw a single advertisement or trailer for the Ratchet and Clank movie (the only reason I even know what that movie is is because of Black Nerd Comedy). It will be an uphill battle seeing as unlike any superhero movie, MLP doesn't have that general appeal outside of little girls and Bronies. 

• Brohoof 2

It really all depends on how much advertising it gets. I don't even think I ever saw a single advertisement or trailer for the Ratchet and Clank movie (the only reason I even know what that movie is is because of Black Nerd Comedy). It will be an uphill battle seeing as unlike any superhero movie, MLP doesn't have that general appeal outside of little girls and Bronies. 

Indeed. For example, "The Powerpuff Girls" Movie got decent reviews, but the marketing campaign was atrociously lacking, and as a result, it opened in ninth place at the box office and only just barely made up for its budget. I can't remember the exact reason why this happened, but I think a lot of it stemmed from no one knowing who to market it to. It wasn't exactly 100% family-friendly since it got really dark and violent in places, but it wasn't exclusively adult-oriented, either. And we can't discount the perceived "girl show ghetto" that plagued many cartoons at the time.

• Brohoof 4

In the end our expectations need to be measured; while there isn't anything wrong with expecting some success, we can't expect it to be the next "Inside Out" or "Kung Fu Panda." Honestly, even if it's marketed competently enough, I wouldn't go out expecting a media blitz for it. I doubt Hasbro and whoever helps with the distribution will have the budget that Disney or even DreamWorks have had.

That said, I'm not too worried about how successful it is for now. Not only is it too early for estimations or anything like that, but I'm more focused on the film itself. Really, my favorite animated film ever (Atlantis: The Lost Empire) was a box office failure, but I still love it dearly. <3

• Brohoof 4

I am making an estimation of a $15 million box office for the movie.  Seeing as how Discovery owns the show, poor advertising is no excuse. 

Remember, Lionsgate is involved, too, and Hasbro is a Fortune 500 Company. Chances are those two will advertise the film both inside Discovery Family and out.

• Brohoof 1

The point that I'm trying to make is that this film is not going to be the film (or even the animated film) of 2017 to anyone that isn't an MLP fan. If the MLP film makes a tenth of what Minions did, then it will be not only a success, but a phenomenal success. Success for this film will look very different to what success would look like for a huge budget blockbuster. I'm sure the film will be good, and I want it to be as successful as it can be, but lets be realistic, It isn't going to break any records on ticket sales.

No where in my statement did I imply the movie would do good, or even bad for that fact. It is impossible to know that at this point. If you read my statement again you will see I was simply saying that one people need to chill a bit because there is several threads on this sight alone saying something alone the lines of the movie will be bad or well do poorly.

Two I said I do not believe that Hasbro is going into this film expecting to make bank on it (I am sure if it does really well they wont complain though HAHA) but I am sure they look at it as more of an add, for whatever line they introduce for the Christmas season. Just like they do with the show.

(edited)

Pokémon movies did alright, why not mention those?

I'm going to stick to how they did in America for this one, if that's okay.

The first movie did good at the BO initially, but then Toy Story 2 came along. Then the following movies got increasingly smaller distribution and advertisement until they stopped being theatrically released in America after Movie 5. Since then they get television premieres, followed by a home media release. (Though some of the recent ones have gotten limited releases).

Though I'm afraid the situation has gotten bleak over in Japan, with each PokeMovie doing worse than the last at the Japanese BO (they're hoping the next one will help, but it's up in the air) :(

Edited by Jangobadass

Jangobadass, on 02 May 2016 - 4:51 PM, said:

I'm going to stick to how they did in America for this one, if that's okay.

The first movie did good at the BO initially, but then Toy Story 2 came along. Then the following movies got increasingly smaller distribution and advertisement until they stopped being theatrically released in America after Movie 5. Since then they get television premieres, followed by a home media release. (Though some of the recent ones have gotten limited releases).

Though I'm afraid the situation has gotten bleak over in Japan, with each PokeMovie doing worse than the last at the Japanese BO (they're hoping the next one will help, but it's up in the air) :(

Yeah but mlp might do better then EGs

(edited)

Yeah but mlp might do better then EGs

That wouldn't be hard to do, the first two were very limited releases

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The reviews drive people away. Guarantee you BvS would have grossed $1.5 billion had the reviews actually been good.

If this were true, then Transformers Revenge of the Fallen would have bombed at the box office (which it didn't, despite every critic and their mom telling us it was a bad movie; and it was a bad movie).  Bad reviews don't guarantee a flop, even if the movie in reality is terrible. 

Phantom Menace is often regarded as the worst Star Wars movie in the history of the franchise.  But what a lot of people forget nowadays is this.  When that movie first came out, people LOVED it.  They could not CONCEIVE of the possibility that there could be a bad Star Wars movie. 

Back in the late 90s when the Internet was younger, there was a group of reviewers called the Knights of the Dinner Table.  And there was a reviewer named Noah Antwiler (aka SpoonyOne).  And he tore the movie a new one, he was one of the few that was willing to not pull punches when it came to talking about Phantom Menace.  People attacked him for it, left and right.  There were actually people that sent him death threats because the review didn't agree with their own personal opinion of how the movie was.  Reviews didn't affect the fact that people went to see the movie and they loved it at the time.

Why is this significant?  Because nowadays, Phantom Menace is almost universally panned as the worst movie in the Star Wars series.

Here's the thing everyone forgets.  FiM has so much stigma associated with it, simply because it's My Little Pony.  Then you take the fact that there are about two closet Bronies for every one Brony that's open about it, and the closet Bronies aren't going to go see the movie.  Publicly admit to liking Ponies?  You really think closet Bronies will subject themselves to harassment from haters for this movie?  I seriously don't think so. 

Unfortunately, I don't foresee the MLP movie doing the numbers people think they'll do (at least, not at the box office).  I think what'll happen instead is DVD and Blu-Ray sales will be great, while box office numbers will be low (which is the same thing I predicted with the Ratchet & Clank movie).  It's easier to stay anonymous buying a DVD than it is to go to a movie theatre.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Like it or not, MLP still has a stigma attached to it.

Don't expect the theater to be packed opening day. 

Yeah, sad but true. Its both a blessing and a curse to hasbro, as MLP has instant recognizability as a Girls franchise for toy sales, but the blade cuts both ways: the fact that its a recognizable girls franchise makes people instantly write it off.

(which is no doubt why they're using the guardians of harmony name for the action oriented ones they're trying to sell to boys)

Or, you know, they thought the film sucked. Captain America and Iron Man were considered B-list superheroes, but Disney/Marvel has done a lot to make them big names.On the other hand, Batman and Superman are bigger names in the superhero world and are bigger money draws, but poor press and word of mouth ended up dooming the movie

Or, you know, it wasn't that good of a movie. If I remember correctly, there was almost zero advertising for the movie, which pretty much tells me that Sony didn't have much faith in it despite being a big IP for the Playstation brand. Also, there's been plenty of non-Disney/Pixar films that have been huge hits like most Dreamworks films and Despicable Me, not to mention there have been plenty of cartoons getting movies on the big screen and being successful such as Rugrats, Spongebob and the Simpsons. Also being a Disney movie doesn't always guarantee success, just look at The Good Dinosaur and John Carter

As for the MLP movie, whether its successful or not is all up to Hasbro and Lionsgate, but most fans can agree it's gonna be a uphill battle

Was there a Ratchet and Clank movie  :blink: ? I've never played the games, but at least I know WHO are they :fluttershy: . But I haven't seen a SINGLE ad about such movie  :lie:

Still, I hope the MLP movie will earn a realistic amount of it's gross, as animated movies outside of the big guys like Disney and Dreamworks are not known to be pretty successful, still, it's MLP, people at least know MLP :icwudt: . At least there are a couple of things in their favor:

-Assuming they still use flash (MAYBE a more elaborated art, but still in flash), will reduce cost compared to CGI

-As mentioned, it's not Disney, nor DW, but people know MLP

-If it keeps it's expectation in a realistic level, it might not be a disappointment many predict  

-They have to be a little aggressive with the ads, but I think the minimum is enough if they want to keep the minimum success 

It's main disadvantage lies in it's reduced audience, which consist mostly bronies, little girls, and their parents dragged to watch it  :lol:

(edited)

I am making an estimation of a $15 million box office for the movie. Seeing as how Discovery owns the show, poor advertising is no excuse.

Okay, now you're being ridiculous. Unless they totally nuke the marketing, this will make at least $200 million worldwide. Discovery has nothing to do with this movie.

See? That's not a positive aspect for me.

You can sell anybody everything and it still makes money.

It made money from outrageous ticket costs. Today the film wouldn't have even broken $1.3 billion. Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

(edited)

Okay, now you're being ridiculous. Unless they totally nuke the marketing, this will make at least $200 million worldwide. Discovery has nothing to do with this movie.

It is going against Thor III, a movie which will make over $120 million on that weekend. How can MLP even hope to make 1/5th of that, when you are going against a Marvel movie?

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

It made money from outrageous ticket costs. Today the film wouldn't have even broken $1.3 billion.

Oh really? Do you have some kind of magic machine to know that? Seriously, you make one assumption after another, without real evidence.