Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I can speak English and German. Even though English may be my mother tongue, I think I can speak German better, simply because I have been living in Germany for like almost my entire life.

I learned Latin at school, but it doesn't count as a language in my opinion because it is not spoken and even after all those years, I know nothing. :lol:

I once watched some Japanese fandub videos of ponies and ever since I have been in love with that language. :wub:

Edited by CloudsdaleCompanion

I speak American (English, but not quite) natively.  I'm from West Virginia Y'all.  I took a semester of Russian when I was in college in 1991.  I don't remember anything but Доброе утро, Как вас зовут, Меня зовут, and Спасибо.  I would love to learn Russian, and perhaps a few ancient languages.  I've thought about trying Rosetta Stone, but want to learn to read and write the language, not just speak it.

English is my native language, and the only one I know.

I TRIED to learn Japanese off of an iPhone app, but that didn't end well.

I'd like to learn Latin, but learning another language takes time, and I probably won't ever get around to it.

Technically, my first language is Hebrew, since I was born in Israel. I moved around a lot when I was younger, but I'm settled in England now and 3/4 of my family is English. Although English is my second language, I'm much more fluent in it now because I hardly ever use Hebrew, but use English all the time. (Although, my spelling isn't great...) My reading in Hebrew is pretty poor these days. I can still read, I'm just pretty slow and struggle a lot. I also find that I now stutter a lot and often forget words when I'm having a conversation in Hebrew, even if I know the words I'm trying to enunciate. On the plus side, I somehow have an English accent when speaking in English, and a a typical Israeli accent if I'm talking in Hebrew, so assimilating is easier.  :P

Languages I'd like to learn if I ever had the time and energy would be Gaulish, Norwegian, Finnish, German, and Japanese. 

I'm of German-Jewish herritage, so my dream is to be able to speak the Yiddish language fluently, so I can access the Yiddish culture as well.

Oh, it's easy to learn. Just add "oi vey" at the beginning of every sentence and your half way there.  :P

My mum uses Yiddish words sometimes... usually when complaining or insulting something.  <_<  

Edited by Hansel

Hehe well, English is my native language, and I can speak/read/write a little Japanese - though occasionally a bit broken I can usually make myself understood! Sometimes with funny results! Lol

I know some Spanish.  That is the only non-English language I studied in school and there are several bilingual English-Spanish speakers at work so I still pick up a bit here and there.  I also know a teeny tiny bit of Italian. 

In all honesty, I would really love to learn Japanese. The Japanese culture is quite erm... interesting to say the leaast xD I would really love to go there one day to maybe look into it further

• Brohoof 1

Technically, my first language is Hebrew, since I was born in Israel. I moved around a lot when I was younger, but I'm settled in England now and 3/4 of my family is English. Although English is my second language, I'm much more fluent in it now because I hardly ever use Hebrew, but use English all the time. (Although, my spelling isn't great...) My reading in Hebrew is pretty poor these days. I can still read, I'm just pretty slow and struggle a lot. I also find that I now stutter a lot and often forget words when I'm having a conversation in Hebrew, even if I know the words I'm trying to enunciate. On the plus side, I somehow have an English accent when speaking in English, and a a typical Israeli accent if I'm talking in Hebrew, so assimilating is easier.  :P

Languages I'd like to learn if I ever had the time and energy would be Gaulish, Norwegian, Finnish, German, and Japanese. 

Oh, it's easy to learn. Just add "oi vey" at the beginning of every sentence and your half way there.  :P

My mum uses Yiddish words sometimes... usually when complaining or insulting something.  <_<  

אל תדאג: אני בטוח שעם קצת אימון -- תוכל לדבר עברית בקלות!

אם תצטרך עזרה, כל עזרה שהיא: אני כאן בשבילך, חברי הברוני :)

But seriously now: If you need any help with improving your Hebrew: I'm here for you! B)

I can introduce you to Israeli music and media and to the Israeli web culture and main forums.

The Hebrew web community is quite big: I'm sure you're going to love it :)

-- By the way, I tried that at a Yiddish theater before. Let's just say that I won't be able to eat latkes anymore -_-

----------------------

My native language is Arabic.

My second language is English.

My third Language is French.

Need good site to Learn French for Beginners.

Maybe you can give About.com a shot.

It's always a great place to start, since somewhat professional teachers run the sections there.

There's also a lot of material you can use there. I personally use this site because a lot of the subjects I find there match the ones from our school syllabus.

The only disadvantage of this site, at least in my opinion, is that the material there is almost entirely article-based, meaning that it would be difficult to use it as a main source for your learning because the material is neither organized in a logical order, nor is it written in a summed up, easy to read pattern.

If you still want to give it a shot, the URL is french.about.com :)

Edited by SugoiDesu

My native language is Serbian (no shit).

It's the easiest language in the world to learn because each letter has only one sound (Ш = sh, Е = e)

There's no long A's or bullcrap like that.

I know English too (derp, really?).

And I know some German, but it's pretty rusty.

I currently speak ancient and modern English and Hebrew (modern Hebrew was only invented in 1910), European French (contrast to Québecois French),  and Yiddish.  I think Swedish would be a really interesting language to learn, and not just because of PewDiePie.  I would also like to learn Hungarian, so I can understand my dad's conversations with his mother.

זה תמיד טובה לפגש "ברוני" אחר/ת שמדבר עיברית! יום אחד, אני רוצה לאסוף כלכם ולעשות "פודכאסט" הברוניתי הראשונה! דעתך? :D Edited by ping111

My first language is french and because of all the translation I've done, I can write it almost perfectly.  Though, it's quite hard to learn properly because of all the exceptions.  I learned English on the internet (not because of school <_< ).  I'm pretty good at it.  I'm learning Spanish at school and I think I've got the basis.

For the languages I want to learn, since I want to be a translator, there's many.  German, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish ect.  The more the better.  I should be able to learn Italian alone though since it's basically a mix of French and Spanish.

Väliinpitämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän. I can't translate that lol.

Let me try to write a word as long as this.

Anticonstitutionnellement

Man, not even the longest word in the French dictionary can beat that...

English is my primary language, but I can also speak some basic Spanish.

I want to learn either French or Italian, and maybe even another language that's not Latin-based, like Japanese.

But seriously now: If you need any help with improving your Hebrew: I'm here for you! B)

I can introduce you to Israeli music and media and to the Israeli web culture and main forums.

The Hebrew web community is quite big: I'm sure you're going to love it :)

I feel proud because was actually able to read and that and understand it perfectly. It took me nearly a minute and a half, but we'll ignore that. :P

I'm a lot better at understanding the language then I am at speaking it. I think a lot of it has to do with pressure or nerves or something.

Oh, I actually listen to quite a bit of Israeli music... Just not so much the pupular stuff. *hipster glasses*

My mum's going to see some family there next week. She asked if I wanted her to bring me something back. I responded with "Halvah, grape juice, and chocolate milk".

Now... if I can only convince her to bring back some Falafal... I think I'll be set...  :ph34r:

-- By the way, I tried that at a Yiddish theater before. Let's just say that I won't be able to eat latkes anymore  -_-

That's okay, most people feel the need to put onion in them for some explainable reason.   <_<

Edited by Hansel

I would like to learn za Germans, it would be very wundabar.

Hidden white text incoming

Yes the german so i can go "Oktoberfeeest!" Like the medic..

but i do know basic german like greeting and stuff but mostly i wanna learn it because im 3/4 german if that makes sence.

Edited by Hydrogen Bond

I would like to learn za Germans, it would be very wundabar.

Hidden white text incoming

Yes the german so i can go "Oktoberfeeest!" Like the medic.... Ok ok im only in it to talk like the doctor >_>

I want to learn German just because I want to understand all the German Industrial/EBM music I listen to. :I

Also because I want to be able to compliment someone, and for them to run away in fear.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fluent in Dutch, English and German. I can speak and understand Russian, Able to find my way around in French and Spanish. I'm also learning to speak Japanese, I've almost hit my first year and I'm pretty good at it if I do say so myself.

• Brohoof 1

I feel proud because was actually able to read and that and understand it perfectly. It took me nearly a minute and a half, but we'll ignore that. :P

I'm a lot better at understanding the language then I am at speaking it. I think a lot of it has to do with pressure or nerves or something.

Oh, I actually listen to quite a bit of Israeli music... Just not so much the pupular stuff. *hipster glasses*

My mum's going to see some family there next week. She asked if I wanted her to bring me something back. I responded with "Halvah, grape juice, and chocolate milk".

Now... if I can only convince her to bring back some Falafal... I think I'll be set...  :ph34r:

Oh, really? What Israeli music do you listen to?

I don't like today's mainstream Israeli music too (Oriental Pop, yikes), but there are tons of Rock bands and stuff popping out of nowhere lately, so I don't complain. Though I mostly listen to bands like Hadag Nahash, Hayehudim and Mashina -- 'cuz I'm old-fashioned B)

And if you still want me to help you with being able to have a conversation, or if you want me to introduce you to the Israeli web, I can give you my AOL, MSN or Skype details~

You should ask her to bring you some red Bamba as well. It's awesome ;)

I currently speak ancient and modern English and Hebrew (modern Hebrew was only invented in 1910), European French (contrast to Québecois French),  and Yiddish.  I think Swedish would be a really interesting language to learn, and not just because of PewDiePie.  I would also like to learn Hungarian, so I can understand my dad's conversations with his mother.זה תמיד טובה לפגש "ברוני" אחר/ת שמדבר עיברית! יום אחד, אני רוצה לאסוף כלכם ולעשות "פודכאסט" הברוניתי הראשונה! דעתך? :D

אנגלית עתיקה, מה? נשמע מעניין. איפה מצאת חומר על השפה? :huh:

-- נחמד לראות עוד חובב שפות דובר בפורום כזה, ועוד צופה של מיי ליטל פוני!

איפה למדת לדבר עברית?

דרך אגב, אני חייב להודות: לא חשבתי שיש אי שם עוד אדם שמתעניין בשפה היידית. מה בדיוק הרמה שלך בשפה? כלומר: אתה יודע לכתוב ולקרוא, רק לכתוב או רק לקרוא, או שמה אתה עדיין לומד אותה, כמוני? XD

אני קניתי ספר ללימוד יידיש ברשת חנויות ספרים מפורסמת כאן בישראל (שמה "צומת ספרים"), ואני לומד ממנו כרגע.

זה ספר לא רע בכלל, כי הוא נותן מבוא טוב מאוד לתרבות היידית. יש שם בדיחות ביידיש, שירים ביידיש והרבה סיפורים קצרים.

בנוסף, אני תמיד מעיין במרשתת בחיפושים אחר חומר לימוד. האמת היא שיש לא מעט אתרים שמלמדים יידיש :blink:

דרך אגב, המשפט שאמרת נשמע קצת מוזר, לפחות בשבילי.

ככה אני הייתי כותב את המשפט:

"תמיד טוב לפגוש עוד "ברוני" דובר עברית! יום אחד, אני רוצה לאחד את כל הברונים דוברי העברית ולעשות את את הפודקאסט העברי הראשון לברונים! מה דעתך? :D"

-- J'apprends le français aussi! Où est-ce que tu as étudié cette langue?

** By the way, modern Hebrew was invented way before 1910.

Edited by SugoiDesu
  • Brohoof 1

@SugoiDesu (English time lul)

1. Modern Hebrew was established by Eliezer ben Yehuda in 1910, as he released a dictionary.

2. Ancient English is similar to how Luna speaks, only actually further back. So, if you wanted to say "He got on a donkey and rode to Bethlehem", you'd say "And it was, that he did mount upon a she-ass; and he rode until he was upon the gates of the city of Bethlehem." It's a very descriptive manner of speaking, and it tends to come from the absolutely direct translation of Hebrew (ויקרא והוא עלה אל-חמור; ורכב עד-שערי העיר,בית-לחםץ)

3. I learn Hebrew in school - it's a Jewish school, so we have a specialized curriculum.

4. I've been learning Yiddish for 5 years. I can read very well, write fairly simple answers to questions on texts and self, and carry on /very/ basic conversations.

5. I know, my Hebrew grammar has always been terrible. I'm much more confident in my conversational Hebrew than my formal. I'm always looking for people who can help me! ;)

6. Je suis canadien, donc c'est un règle que tous les élèves savent le français. Ma grammaire, c'est mieux que ma classe, parce-que mon parents sont du Québec (et j'suis un génie :P).

Swedish for me. It's a good language and a good country, if I leave America, which I plan too in the future, I think Sweden is the place to be.

Gonna have to agree. Sweden is almost crime-free, and I hear the weather is fantastic! I'm Canadian, so I don't mind the cold.

And not one PewDiePie or Ikea joke was made that day.

• Brohoof 1

Simple, self explanatory, fun.

I only know English, but I really want to learn Czech. Ever since I went to Prague last fall, I fell in love with the place, so now I want to learn their language.

You want to learn Czech language? Are you nuts? You don't want to learn that. The language is naprosto šílená věc. And it's kinda useless too.

Anyway, English, Czech, Slovak, German, partially French and Spanish, trying to start with Japanse and possibly Russian.

Edited by Jessper

German, English (I am Czech, so it is not a main language for me :D), little bit of Esperanto, now learning French, willing to learn Japanese. :3

Edited by thegoodhen

English, French, Spanish, Norwegian, and Swedish. They're seriously not that far off and I learned it in less than a year :3 Surprisingly enough English is my first language and Norwegian is my second, but I still speak them with the same fluency. Now I'd really love to learn Bengali... the letters and the writing looks so beautiful :o

Edited by Sarajevo