Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would My Little Rhino be just as appealing?

ManaMinori

Looking at the history of unicorns, I noticed that all they really were in the beginning was an artistic interpretation of a rhino, so it seems....magical properties being added later...so what if MLP was actually about rhinos, rather than magical artistically embellished horses with strap ons? Lol. Would you still be into the show?

Will we see such an episode in MLP with a rhino character breaking the 4th wall and status quo, and debating- like Quibble Pants- on the authenticity of unicorns?

• Brohoof 1

That would definitely be... interesting.

Brownie points if the rhino character calls mane 6 unicorns phonies, in Simpson meme parody, and discovers through genetic tests that they all do have rhino ancestry.

In b4 Sunburst's fat flank is due to her rhino heritage also

Rhinos are just not cute or sellable as ponies are.

I mean, who ever dreamed riding a rhino? :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't think so.

Rhinos aren't as visually appealing.

ponies are just too cute, not that rhino's aren't, but what about earth ponies? would they be.. hippos?

say what? I beg to differ. This looks pretty cute to me.

https://goo.gl/images/aV5Hvs

(Just googled "cute rhino cartoon")

Anything can be made cute with desired effort. Even poop, apparently

• Brohoof 1

say what? I beg to differ. This looks pretty cute to me.

https://goo.gl/images/aV5Hvs

(Just googled "cute rhino cartoon")

Anything can be made cute with desired effort. Even poop, apparently

In that case, i want to promote my own toyline.

6b0.png

My little snek. :D

• Brohoof 7

In that case, i want to promote my own toyline.

6b0.png

My little snek. :D

I would be lying if I said that wasn't cute and interesting with how their cutie marks are incorporated.

Still, rhinos are closer and the original magical "pony"

"My little rhino" would only be effective as a boy aimed show; Rhinos are a very male slanted species in how the public views them, so you'd need to make the show like Lionguard or something and aim it at boys.

Also, Rhinos lack hair to brush.

Oh hell yes I would watch a show about rainbow coloured rhinos! I'd feel the same way about triceratops if they wanted to go that route. Just give them a slightly large head and a round blobish body and some pastel colours. Simple instant adorableness.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Looking at the history of unicorns, I noticed that all they really were in the beginning was an artistic interpretation of a rhino, so it seems....magical properties being added later...so what if MLP was actually about rhinos, rather than magical artistically embellished horses with strap ons? Lol. Would you still be into the show?

Will we see such an episode in MLP with a rhino character breaking the 4th wall and status quo, and debating- like Quibble Pants- on the authenticity of unicorns?

Hi, as this topic is about a hypothetical series rather than the one we actually got, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner. That said, I got just as much of a chuckle out of this as the My Little Donkey joke in the 2014 Annual of the comics, so discuss away. I personally think Pony Tales would lend itself well to alternate animal species and contemplated what that series would be like if the characters were snakes, but that's mostly because that series doesn't need to star ponies since that seems to have been an afterthought to its writers. I think the mane cast being ponies actually is relevant to FiM on the other hand, so I don't think it would work as well if their species was changed.

<p>This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.</p>

• Brohoof 1

LOL, thinking about this, its hilarious just how NOT marketable this is for girl characters: Rhinos are viewed as having traits of Physical strength, large size, roughness and durability: all very masculine traits but not things that girls want at all (Specifically the "Rough and leathery but tough skin" part, or large size)

I mean, maybe you could make the animal themed Rhino show, but it would pretty much make an EQG spinoff impossible; "Rhino up!"-- I mean, what, would they like grow five feet or something? :P
There are many feminine horse traits for the girls to gain when turning into horsegirls, but the only real Rhino attributes that people would jump to for a rhino form would be "Big, muscular and having a horn" :P
Fine for a show about guys, but not really marketable as a fantasy series for girls.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, just not for the same reasons. Technicolour magical ponies are a long-established thing, whereas technicolour magic rhinos would be unusual and slightly surreal. It could easily have the same strengths, and after some time be seen as straightforwardly cute, but the simple fact that the characters are rhinos rather than ponies would inevitably make the show more surreal and less adorable. Which is, of course, appealing in its own way. 

sig-4629658.my_little_rhino_by_serpentin

Here you go, literally found this by googling "My Little Rhino," thank me later.

That is adorable. Guess they could get the "cute" part down. 

Ponies are cute, that's why.

Who ever dreamed of crushing a tiny horse with your own weight? Riding a rhino would be badass if it was trained.

Ponies are cute, that's why.

Who ever dreamed of crushing a tiny horse with your own weight? Riding a rhino would be badass if it was trained.

I agree

And examples in other posts prove rhinos CAN be cute

Considering that just about anything can be made to look cute in a cartoon, I can see it working. I don't think it'd be on the same level of cuteness as ponies or have the same appeal though. When you say "pony", the first thing that comes to mind is a small cute horse. When you say "rhino", though, large and intimidating come to mind first. :huh:

I'd watch that though, I'd love to see how all the horse puns would be turned into rhino puns. :P

• Brohoof 1