Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you miss most about older episodes?

ggg-2

I miss the emotional punch that episodes like Princess Twilight Sparkle, Twilight's Kingdom, Flight to the Finish, The Mane Attraction, Crusaders of the Lost Mark, and Amending Fences were able to provide in the last two seasons.

I hope season 7 can go back to this.

• Brohoof 2

There's a certain kind of innocent charm season 1 and some of season 2 had that's sort of...gone now. Everything now feels different, even when it's similar to what once was. I'm not fully sure how to explain the difference.

This doesn't mean I think more recent seasons are lacking, really. I think the newer seasons are great, 5 is my favorite after all. Just that the early episodes have a slightly different kind of charm to them. It's not really nostalgia either, though that probably adds to the feeling.

I don't think we'd have a lot of the great episodes we have today though if they kept trying to replicate that charm, so I wouldn't necessarily want it back, but it's sometimes something I miss.

• Brohoof 8

There's a certain kind of innocent charm season 1 and some of season 2 had that's sort of...gone now. Everything now feels different, even when it's similar to what once was. I'm not fully sure how to explain the difference.

This doesn't mean I think more recent seasons are lacking, really. I think the newer seasons are great, 5 is my favorite after all. Just that the early episodes have a slightly different kind of charm to them. It's not really nostalgia either, though that probably adds to the feeling.

I don't think we'd have a lot of the great episodes we have today though if they kept trying to replicate that charm, so I wouldn't necessarily want it back, but it's sometimes something I miss.

The quality of the episodes. The new ones feels tasteless.

This pretty much

Season 1 is the pinnacle of quality for the show

While there is the occasional season 1 tier episode, the seasons as a whole just can't seem to make that mark

• Brohoof 2

This pretty much

Season 1 is the pinnacle of quality for the show

While there is the occasional season 1 tier episode, the seasons as a whole just can't seem to make that mark

Well, like I said, season 1 isn't my favorite. As a whole I mostly think later seasons have improved on it.

But I can easily see why someone would have season 1 as their favorite, because that "Feel" it has is unique compared to all that came later for the most part. The show has a different style to it now that will bother some people, interest others, and other people...just wanna watch ponies, so they probably don't care.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Snarkle and crowd songs.

----

Then again there are things that weren't likely then but are shown to be true now like available mind control and removal of cutie marks.

Edited by silvadel

Clearly defined arcs for the main characters. The initial character growth set up in the first season is mostly over now, so a lot of character development has slowed down. 

• Brohoof 3

What you said. Season 1 and 2 had simpler stories (simpler in a good way) and we were just getting to know the characters. Nowadays the stories feel less simple, specially since the writers can't start ripping off old episodes so they have to think more about what an episode is going to be about. Also the mane 6 now have 100+ episodes of character development which can't be ignored, so the show feels more plot-heavy. 

• Brohoof 5

Nothing, I can watch them anytime I want to so I don't have to miss anything. Every season has some high and low points for me... I just don't see the show as declining or as improving, so mach as evolving into something bigger than what it started as.

I do miss the letters to Celestia sometimes... but let's be honest, she was running out of things to tell her that were not just rehashes of stuff she had already learned, and I much prefer the idea of a journal where they can write down their thoughts and experiences. Also I do miss how the Mane 6 may have been the main characters, but it felt like Ponyville and the residents within it had more life somehow, as if they breathed reality into an episode in a manner of speaking.... now they really do feel like background characters who are just sort of there.

• Brohoof 1

I miss unicorn Twilight Sparkle.  :twi:  There is something nostalgic in it.

I can't get over the fact that she's been an alicorn more episodes that she's been an unicorn.

The random songs.

It's not quite common as it used to be but then I just notice the opportunity for songs decrease.

I miss Pinkie's random short songs in the first episodes of season 1.

• Brohoof 3

More heart was put into the majority of episodes in the past. Said heart was only in a handful of episodes this season. I'm also certain most episodes this season would've either never got off the ground or would've been a lot better under the staff in past seasons

• Brohoof 1

Well... everything, I guess. I'm a huge fan of the first 3 seasons (yeah, I put S3 with 1 and 2).

Whether you feel this is a good or a bad thing you have to admit that the show has changed. It is not what it was. It went from being a funny, clever cartoon with intelligent characters that everyone could watch to a show that focused more on its story, characters and emotional impact than comedy and cartoon humor. It is, frankly (in my eyes) more mature and less innocent than it used to be. I feel it was a gradual slide that began in season 2, but it was season 4 that really took the next big step, and Seasons 5 and 6 have followed suit. The first seasons are totally different now and it's almost weird watching them side by side with the new.

But this was not a quality change per se. It was a change in direction. And like I said, whether the change was good or bad is up to you. I personally feel in between. I love the old, and I like what we're getting now. But what we're getting now is not what I originally began watching, so I miss what we used to have.

/End text wall

Edited by PonyMage
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

It was just cute ponies do simple things. Now the episodes seem to be a little bit more plot heavy, which I think has changed its appeal.

I do still enjoy it though, just in a different sense.

• Brohoof 1