Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overpowered characters you think should be depowered down?

cider float

Nopony, Discord and Starlight are fine. Discord's ridiculously OP powers are half the fun of him, as we get to see him play with reality as if it's nothing but a big playground for him, and Starlight's as powerful as she is probably because, like Twilight, she's dedicated her life to studying magic.

Their powers typically aren't a big deal in Slice of Life episodes, and during adventure episodes Discord more often than not simply won't appear, and if he does he can still be temporarily depowered. Starlight can also be depowered, not appear in an episode, or the villain can simply be strong/smart enough to defeat her.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I actually have an opposite thing in mind. Celestia isn't powerful enough for being the co-ruler of Equestria along side Luna. Other than The Crystalling, lately we've been just seeing Celestia get pushed aside. Ever since the season 2 finale, Celestia has been useless, and she needs a Professor Dumbledore moment like near the end of number 6 when he took out all those zombie-creatures with that huge storm! Celestia needs an epic moment to prove to us that she deserves that leadership role, because lately, I'm thinking Twilight should be the ruler of Equestria instead of her.

• Brohoof 1

and Starlight's as powerful as she is probably because, like Twilight, she's dedicated her life to studying magic.

Sunburst dedicated his life to studying magic, too, yet he still can't actually perform most of it.

• Brohoof 4

Sunburst dedicated his life to studying magic, too, yet he still can't actually perform most of it.

Two people both dedicate their life to Baseketball, Person A get's into the NBA and becomes a star player, Person B does their best too, but despite trying just as hard as the other person they don't get good enough to get into the NBA. What's the difference?

It could be any number of things, but this isn't unrealistic. Two people can put just as much effort into something and it's entirely possible one of them will still end up leagues above the other. Why is Starlight the one who got so good and not Sunburst? I dunno, why's Person A better than Person B?

Also, Sunburst despite not having much magical power is pretty darn knowledgeable. He knew just how to fix the Crystal Heart and calm the baby's magic even when Twilight and Starlight didn't, so it's not like his efforts to study magic went to a complete waste.

Edited by BasementGlimmer

Starlight is the absolute top of this list for me. Her immense power has no justification whatsoever. Simply saying "I studied it forever" doesn't answer anything really. Starlight in season 6 was pulling random spells out of her flank that honestly didn't make sense and most of her episodes seemed to exist to make her look so powerful with no real point. This is the thing that makes me dislike her character and I hate that, because her actual character has gotten a lot better.

Then there is Flurry Heart, simply because she is a born alicorn that already has immense magic right from the start. I really don't like that in the slightest. I already hate the idea of a born Alicorn like that but I hate it even more when she doesn't have to do anything to be magically godlike.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight is the absolute top of this list for me. Her immense power has no justification whatsoever. Simply saying "I studied it forever" doesn't answer anything really.

What justification does it need? She's naturally talented at magic as we've seen in the past, and then she also spent her life studying and working at growing her talents. I just don't understand why that's not enough?

Why was Rainbow Dash able to perform the Sonic Rainboom as a filly? That's totally ridiculous, she's a filly with like no training pulling off one of the most legendary stunts ever! There's no justification for this, except "RD is super talented!". What makes Starlight different?

Starlight in season 6 was pulling random spells out of her flank that honestly didn't make sense and most of her episodes seemed to exist to make her look so powerful with no real point.

The only time she pulled super powerful spells "Out of her flank" in season 6 was in "Every Little thing she does", and there was a lot more of a point to it than just showing how powerful she was. Sure, we hadn't seen those spells used before, but they came from books, if Twilight had looked through books to find them, and then cast them, would there be a problem?

• Brohoof 1

Starlight Glimmer really should be nerfed. Nothing in her first appearance indicated that she would be somehow stronger than a freaking alicorns princess who was the former element bearer of an special talent is magic, and has been trained in magic by Princess Celestia for all her life. But than again Starlight's back story has always been laughably weak.

• Brohoof 2

I think Starlight Glimmer is fine. She's been training and researching magic for pretty much all her life, and she's really good at things now. Makes sense to me.

I'm not sure about this, but didn't he neglect the actual magic part of his studies? Like, he only did the theory part of magic?

What about Maud Pie? She's just way too strong not to mention she can somehow intimidate ponies with just a stare like Fluttershy does with animals?

Celestia isn't powerful enough for being the co-ruler of Equestria along side Luna.

Well, she is very powerful. But in the sense that she is a powerful ruler. She just doesn't use her powers to defend the land but perhaps reserves that role to others.

I don't think any characters should be de-powered just because they possess tremendous magical powers. With Discord, he usually uses his power mainly to bend reality to his will just to prove a point or wanting to liven things up by doing something unpredictable to the annoyance of others. Starlight is powerful, yes, but I attribute that to her dedicating herself to focusing on magic since she chose to not seek out additional friends after Sunburst. Sure, Starlight is on equal footing with Twilight in terms of magic, yet she doesn't use her magic as often as she wants since she has taken up friendship lessons.

What about Maud Pie? She's just way too strong not to mention she can somehow intimidate ponies with just a stare like Fluttershy does with animals?

Oh, Maud Pie. Yeah, i can't even take her seriously. So ridiculously cartoonish. It's like Maud Pie doing a push-up, then she isn't lifting herself up. No, she's pushing the earth down!!! :-o :umad:

Edited by Swifty

Starlight needs to be nerfed, badly. I could maybe buy her being able to match Twilight in The Cutie Re-Mark since otherwise she wouldn't be as big a threat, but she's been shown to be more powerful than Twilight now, who may I remind everyone was implied to be immensely powerful before becoming an Alicorn? 

• Brohoof 2

Starlight Glimmer really should be nerfed. Nothing in her first appearance indicated that she would be somehow stronger than a freaking alicorns princess who was the former element bearer of an special talent is magic, and has been trained in magic by Princess Celestia for all her life. But than again Starlight's back story has always been laughably weak.

BUT SHE HAD A FRIEND MOVE AWAY! How can you not see how heartbreaking and tragic that is?!

Oh, Maud Pie. Yeah, i can't even take her seriously. So ridiculously cartoonish. It's like Maud Pie doing a push-up, then she isn't lifting herself up. No, she's pushing the earth down!!! :-o :umad:

The only issue I have with situations like that is its hard to take the characters level of strength seriously in that it only seems to really be present in comedic situations: so you have a hard establishing if she's really able to do stuff like that at will or "Just when its funny".

Its kind of like how Pinkie's cartoon antics should make her virtually unstoppable if she got into a fight, but since its explicitly only for "joke purposes" the viewer ignores her actually "doing" what she's doing in those comedic moments.

Starlight Glimmer for obvious reasons

I'd want her to be depowered, but the problem is, the djinn is out of the bottle now. that would have been something to have been done earlier but its kind of "done" with now. If they'd tried to play off her success in the S5 finale PURELY as her using starlight's spell to be a few steps ahead of twilight for her edge, they could have dropped her power levels down without people objecting that she should be more powerful. But now? Even if they stopped using her as being so powerful, they just KEPT SHOWING her being god tier powerful in S6, so that'd it'd seem out of character for her to be less powerful now.

They COULD do a plotline where she gets her magic stolen or something, but THEN we'd have an entire plotline about her having her power stolen, and that's kind of making things worse by revolving an entire plotline around her :P

They COULD do a plotline where she gets her magic stolen or something, but THEN we'd have an entire plotline about her having her power stolen, and that's kind of making things worse by revolving an entire plotline around her :P

To Where And Back Again was way ahead of you.

Edited by A.V.

To Where And Back Again was way ahead of you.

That wasn't her specifically having her magic stolen though, that was an anti-magic field. It wasn't a permanent thing that was affecting her like a plotline about her being depowered PERMANENTLY would be. :P

Get baffled by all these changes!

-All non-alicorn ungulates have their mana pool reduced by 40%

-All non-alicorn ungulates now have a unified mana pool max limit

-Channeling and teleportation spells’ cost increased by 20%

-Chaos now decays over time unless channeled

-Magical defenses that do not specify a tethering process no longer root you to local objects

-Non-magic CC now goes through shields and barriers (lasso can still drag you along inside your barrier; a giant boulder can still shake your brains from collision)

-All ponies have base armor reduced to 0

-All physical ranged attacks have their range increased by 30%

-All physical melee attacks have their charging speed damage bonuses increased by 20%

-Nighttime sight radius of all creatures has been reduced accordingly

-Special talents no longer grant you superpowers

-Hard work and dedication no longer increase your damage, mana pool, mana regeneration, or survivability beyond your max limits

-Black market, drops, and resources have been reworked: less drops, more items, no refunds

-Creatures no longer glitch out of combat amidst dialogue or when taking damage

-Creatures now use their respective abilities more often

-Tartarus now has a bounty board

-Memes and Twitch emoticons added as cutie marks

Do you know what happens to a flying unicorn that runs out of mana? Now it doesn’t matter if a powerful pony uses powerful spells since their costs are fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Two people both dedicate their life to Baseketball, Person A get's into the NBA and becomes a star player, Person B does their best too, but despite trying just as hard as the other person they don't get good enough to get into the NBA. What's the difference?

It could be any number of things, but this isn't unrealistic. Two people can put just as much effort into something and it's entirely possible one of them will still end up leagues above the other. Why is Starlight the one who got so good and not Sunburst? I dunno, why's Person A better than Person B?

Also, Sunburst despite not having much magical power is pretty darn knowledgeable. He knew just how to fix the Crystal Heart and calm the baby's magic even when Twilight and Starlight didn't, so it's not like his efforts to study magic went to a complete waste.

You're missing the point.

I'm saying that if life-dedication to magic-study is the reason for Starlight's unusual power, then Sunburst should logically be even more powerful.

So now we're right back at just "because potential," a.k.a. "born lucky."

Edited by A.V.

I hear a lot of people say they wanna see Starlight nerfed or removed.

Pretty sure the writers could do better.
Have her be the one pony powerful/magical enough to find Starswhirl.

Or at the very least find out what happened to him.
(Did he die? is he lost/trapped? etc)

And Maybe even user her as a means to introduce him into the story proper.

Because good God to people wanna know about Starswhirl.

Two people both dedicate their life to Baseketball, Person A get's into the NBA and becomes a star player, Person B does their best too, but despite trying just as hard as the other person they don't get good enough to get into the NBA. What's the difference?    It could be any number of things, but this isn't unrealistic. Two people can put just as much effort into something and it's entirely possible one of them will still end up leagues above the other. Why is Starlight the one who got so good and not Sunburst? I dunno, why's Person A better than Person B?   Also, Sunburst despite not having much magical power is pretty darn knowledgeable. He knew just how to fix the Crystal Heart and calm the baby's magic even when Twilight and Starlight didn't, so it's not like his efforts to study magic went to a complete waste.

Person A got to the match on time

Person B got eaten by a zombie on time.

But seriously now, it depends on how good you actually are. If you were not very good to begin with, you have a limit to improve, and that's it.