Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is There Anyone You Look Up To?

Lucky Bolt

So is there anyone you look up to in life, someone you wanna be just like? Is it someone you know? Someone famous? A fictional charecter? For me, it's one of my cousins. Back then me and her were like two peas in a pod, hehe. We would do everything together, and we had a lot in common. She was ( and still is ) so much fun to be around, and she was always joking around and making me laugh...at times I thought of her as a big sister, not a cousin. We were SO close, but now that I moved away from where she lives we don't see each other really any more...we don't talk very much either. But, i still adore her though. <3 And Rainbow Dash, I look up to her too, but, really, who doesn't admire Rainbow Dash? 

I also admire Jimmie Johnson, he's one of the best Nascar drivers in history, and being a Nascar driver is one of my dreams. He's also a really kindhearted, humble and sweet person, everybody, even other drivers who compete against him say that everyone loves to be around him and he's a really likeable person. I wanna be just like him.

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I definitely look up to Ozzy Osbourne. Also I look up to Rainbow Dash as well. I also look up to Buddy Rich.

All for different reasons. Ozzy Osbourne started his life as he would describe "piss poor" and no one ever thought he would amount to anything. He was poor, in a poor community, and he was a fool, a clown if you will. But through the bonds he made with others he was able to make something of himself even with his lack of special abilities. He's no Whitney Houston or Andy Williams obviously, but he still goes out and sings with so much emotion.

Buddy Rich was kind of a living legend when he was alive. The greatest drummer of all time. Most people said he was when he was around. That's something awesome.

Rainbow Dash because of her physical ability really. She doesn't quit and is a freaken champion! To have that much perseverance is awesome.

• Brohoof 2

I've always been looking up at a strange system from my dreams called the Datanet. It's always talking to me in my mind about my future and importance here and even it tells me what to do to make sure that I go down the right path to discovering universal energy. Now my thinking has become so complex from the system evolving it into a computer/binery based system so now I can see my own personality logic and modify it if I need to. I now know who I am now because of the Datanet and I need to complete my mission that it's telling me about. :)

• Brohoof 1

Yes, there's a special person, which kept me from leaving my dysfunctional reality.

She's an example, eventhough I can't answer her request from an experiencial level.

The response involving harmful memory is far too overwhelming to perceive otherwise.

Our life perceptions are different, it hurts me to be subject to this dysfunctional experience.

Because had things been any different, I would be able share her interpretation of reality.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like I am one of the only people who don't really have any sort of idol, or people I really look up to.

count me in, I'd only look up to myself since I always try to make changes for the best.

I've always looked up to my parents as being ideal role models and this opinion hasn't changed at all. Sure, they may not be famous or anything like that, but they're always there to help me when I need it the most.

• Brohoof 3

I absolutely look up to Gerard Way. He's one of if not the only person I've ever actually wanted to be like. He's an amazing and insanely kind person who's really down to earth and sweet, and on top of being a wonderful person he has a lot of lovely talents. The fact that he's also super cute is really a bonus haha. He pulled through dark times, depression, and wanting commit suicide. If you look at the way he was during his depression and the way he is now its honestly amazing and it makes me so happy. And as an artist myself, I strongly look up to Gerard and his art. Everything he's done and everything he's doing now is majorly inspiring to me, both as a person and as a creator.

I think he's one of the best people to ever exist.

• Brohoof 1

I look up to my parents for working hard to be where they are today. The way they handle challenges has taught me a great deal about perseverance and integrity. My aunt is also a role model because she's been through quite a lot, especially in the past several years, but she's risen to the occasion every single time and handled her situations with grace and strength. She taught me a thing or two about taking the high road, and that you can't depend on other people to determine your value. She's challenged quite a few stereotypes as well, which is super empowering! :)

I also admire my friends. I look up to them for a variety of reasons, such as striving towards their goals, showing loving and compassion for those around them, and for their maturity. ^^

• Brohoof 3

Mentors: I have a few. I won't go into the details though. 

IRL: Some friends and family. A couple in particular. 

Online: @Lady Kiriness - I would say the appropriate terms would be look to perhaps. I give credit to few people online. She merits this - if you know her, you'll know why.

• Brohoof 2

I look up to my brother in law. I love the fact that he is willing to work as hard as he has to to succeed in life. He has done so much despite his setbacks and I love that about him. He is determined.

• Brohoof 3

It's really heart-warming to read how many people look up to those closest to them. I also admire those close to me. I have four best friends who are very different except for the fact that we all are constantly and tangibly working to better ourselves.

As far as cultural icons:

Senator Elizabeth Warren: agree or disagree with her views, that is one powerful, brave, outspoken leader. I love watching her give the business to people. I hope someday to be able to command attention and respect the way she does.

Yulia Tymoshenko: another powerful and even more controversial politician, this time from the turbulent Ukraine. I love how she refuses to make herself more masculine in order to play in the big leagues. And she has style!

I love old movie starts: Greta Garbo (my fave!), Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable, Yvonne de Carlo, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Louise Brooks, the list could go on but I'll stop there.

I love Albert Einstein for his focus. I also hyper focus when on a project and it's comforting to know that's a large part of what made him great and allowed for the clarity to develop his theory.

Gandhi for his discipline and magnanimous heart.

Oh! and Evita Peron. What an orator!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Superman, Batman, Captain Britian, Union Jack, The Flash, Sir Winston Churchill, Eric Cantona, Sir Bobby Charlton, Ryan Giggs, Captain America, Spiderman,  Rik Mayall, Sherlock Homles, Saitama, Rowan Atkinson, Patrick Stewart, Nigel Farage, The Punisher, Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson,  Isambard Kingdom Brunel,

Edited by Adam Burt

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

There were a couple of drill sergeants in my basic training that I really looked up to. I won't say their names... we'll just call them Drill Sergeant Beaver and Drill Sergeant Otter.

DS Beaver was your typical badass. Like, no crap, he's an action film character. Staff Sergeant, air assault and airborne training, special forces, had a job in counterintelligence, and deployed overseas to Afghanistan and Iraq. But aside from all that, he really seemed to care about the recruits that he was training. He'd take time to make sure you were squared away, not just yell at you. If you fucked up, he'd teach you over and over until you got it right. I really respect that.

The other was DS Otter. I look up to him because he's small, but exceptionally tough. The guy was maybe 5'5", but he was our combatives instructor. He could take down anyone, no matter how much bigger they were. He was fast, strong, had seemingly unlimited stamina, and taught me how to survive on 2 hours of sleep a night.

Yeh.

I look up to many historical figures. 

Nikola Tesla. A scientific genius who thought outside the box and could have revolutionized the world if he'd had more time and opportunity to do so. 

Werner Von Braun. He was all about the science and wanted only to explore the unlimited possibilities.

Walt Disney. A true artist and innovator. he wasn't about greed, but creating something artistic and beautiful. 

George Lucas. Another visionary film maker. He wanted to tell stories and push the boundaries of the tools used to bring them to his audience.

Donald Trump. A true fearless leader.

Lewis Carroll. A great author and man of honor. 

Roger Moore. Stylish, witty and charismatic actor. 

Fred Rogers. A man of great gentleness and decency. He brought children's programming to new heights and never wavered in his vision.

Fr. San Swiderski. Retired pastor of my church in the Midwest. I've never known any man with his incredible focus, clarity and well-spoken wisdom. 

Mother Angelica (EWTN). Another font of wisdom and common sense.

Jesus Christ. The Son of God. 

And now for a couple of fictional characters:

Yoda. Pure wisdom, focus and strength.

Barbie. Sweet, caring, compassionate and everything else I wish I was better at. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

Well, I suppose I look up to Senator Bernie Sanders. I'll just say there's a reason he's the most popular politician in the United States. He's among the very few congresspeople who HAS a soul. I may not agree with him on a few things, but he's actually quite genuine and admirable. He legitimately seems to care.

Leo Pellegrino. He's a really cool person, and he's the best saxophone player I've ever heard. He's insanely good. Every time I hear him, he's even better (which I didn't know was possible).

TooManyZooz_InvWindFact_KeithAinsworth.jpg.1e4ad4e879bffac1f5b926b16639945a.jpg

He pushes himself and his saxophone so hard that he completely wears out a new reed at each performance. I know people who use the same reed for an entire semester.

Field of Reeds (she's a recording artist and professional oboist/English horn player) - Unsurprisingly given my username, I have a long history of being envious of people more talented at music than I. However, with Field of Reeds, envy has never been the go-to feeling. Sure, it's still there. But, for once, I just straight-up respect her and her talent instead of being like "OMG why can't I be her?". Instead, all she did was inspire me, raising me out of a period of time where I had pretty much given up on music and school. I also admire her love and talent for all kinds of wind instruments. 

I look up to my cousin; she's a major game changer in my life. She came to my rescue when everything I knew was going down the toilet, and she showed me a more optimistic way to live. There's also a friend of the family that everyone seems to know, even though her exact connection is vague to me. She's kind of the fixer-of-all-things and all-around mentor. She isn't very old, but she's wise beyond her years, dependable, selfless and kind. 

Amazing people.

Edited by Narcissus

I have a hard time looking up to famous people who I don't know personally as much as I like a lot of them, and I'm not really the type to unconditionally look up to someone like my parents. Honestly my answer would be my close friends whom I've met here. I could give a different reason that I look up to each one which I absolutely love <3

• Brohoof 2