Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite season premiere & season finale

DJ Wolfe

25 users have voted

1. 1. Season Premiere

2. 2. Season Finale

Season Premiere: "The Cutie Map" (Season 5). I think it's one of the cleverest episodes in the entire series. I remember comparing it fondly to Star Trek when it came out because of the exploration of a new land, the social allegories, and the ambiguous ending. My only regret is that the conflict with Starlight Glimmer didn't carry across the entire season but only manifested in the finale.

Season Finale: "A Canterlot Wedding" (Season 2). The plot certainly has plenty of holes in it -- but man was it a lot of fun! The finale felt like a perfect crescendo to an immensely entertaining season that introduced two memorable villains (Discord and Chrysalis). There was also "This Day Aria", one of my favorite songs in the show.

• Brohoof 1

Best premier: Return of Harmony. With a great villain as the anchor, this is the only two-parter that focuses on the Mane 6 instead of the super powerful unicorn with bad socialization skill as is the case with so many other two-parters.

Best finale: The Best Night Ever. For a very similar reason, the only finale that focuses on the Mane 6, and gives them all moments to shine instead of being damsels in distress with the slim possibility of having some Dues Ex Machina role that tries to say that they're all important but really just gives them a scene while the previously mentioned unicorn does pretty much everything else. Also it finishes up an arc that was building throughout season 1 as well as being a nice slice of life episode. And the song was pretty great! 

• Brohoof 2

I loved the premier of Starlight glimmer. They had worked their way into a bonefish villain after sunset and the dazzlings..then they took that villain and just ruined her.

Finale? The Canterlot wedding where we learned we can't just do a captain planet everything we need to stop a big bad villain :)

Though it loses some points for true love conquers all :P

• Brohoof 1

Season 4 had both the best premiere and finale! It was the only premiere that ended on a cliffhanger of some sort! Yes the season 5 premiere had that with Starlight returning in the finale, but it wasn't that obvious or as interesting as the chest! I mean the chest held a bunch more mysteries than Starlight did! And that epic finale that season just summed everything up! It would've been a good series finale as well if the crew didn't want to continue the arcs for Rainbow, CMCs, and co.

Best premier: Return of Harmony. With a great villain as the anchor, this is the only two-parter that focuses on the Mane 6 instead of the super powerful unicorn with bad socialization skill as is the case with so many other two-parters.

Best finale: The Best Night Ever. For a very similar reason, the only finale that focuses on the Mane 6, and gives them all moments to shine instead of being damsels in distress with the slim possibility of having some Dues Ex Machina role that tries to say that they're all important but really just gives them a scene while the previously mentioned unicorn does pretty much everything else. Also it finishes up an arc that was building throughout season 1 as well as being a nice slice of life episode. And the song was pretty great!

This. You just saved me typing!

Best Night Ever used to be below Canterlot Wedding, but over time it overtook it by virtue of being a phenomenal ensemble piece with a positive (and realistic) moral. The satire, the seamless display of flaws and virtues, and a culmination of a season long arc makes it my favorite closer.

Return of Harmony is just kickass.

• Brohoof 2

Hard to pick a favourite premiere, because aside from S3's and especially S4's, my opinion of them is pretty level. In general I think "The Return of Harmony" is the most memorable, although "The Cutie Map" definitely competes for the title, and both the pilot and "The Crystalling" benefit from just how fresh they are. Hard choice, but S2.

My favourite finale is easier to pick, because "The Best Night Ever" is just a near-perfect episode. Only finale to be just one part. Only finale which doesn't try to be "epic" at all. Only finale which is focused on the goals and quirks of the mane six. And, because of all of that, still the best. Would love another finale like this.

Plus, "The Best Night Ever" closes a genuine season-long arc. Not the tickets, but the mane six's growing friendship. That whole season you watch them bond, and the final scene of the season is really a culmination of that. So satisfying!

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

Premiere: The Cutie Map. That episode was near-perfection and by far the best of the bunch. Clever villain. Clever symbolism. Clever (dark) humor. And the best villain song of the show.

Finale: The Best Night Ever. Unlike the others, it's not bombastic or loud. But it doesn't have to be. Oftentimes, the simplest stories can be the best, and this is no exception. Fantastic moral. The satire is absolutely hilarious. At the Gala is great. Some of the best production in the show. Best storytelling pacing of ANY episode. It's the Magic of Friendship in its purest form. TBNE: The show's best episode.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Favorite Season Premiere: Season 5's The Cutie Map. Bar none, the most ambitious premiere in the entire show. The storytelling and humor was unlike anything that we had ever seen the show attempt to do before. I absolutely adored Starlight in this episode. So cunning and manipulative :D

Favorite Season Finale: Season 5's The Cutie Re-Mark. I had to go with S5 once again. Starlight's performance here really cemented this finale as my favorite in the entire show.

favorite premiere was season 6 premiere becuase the introduction of flurry heart and sunburst. unlke other premieres it picks up with starlight and starts the healing process,so to speak for starlight.

my favorite finale was season 4 due to twilight facing a god like figure such as tirek. she was on her own and was loyal to both equestria and her friends

Ha ha ! That's an interesting question, but it's really hard to answer.

My favorite premiere would be The Crystal Empire. I guess this place picked my interest at the time. I don't know why but I did like the idea to go on an adventure to this place. 

My favorite finale is a hard pick to be honest. But since I love alternative universes, I might say the season 5 one.

The premieres and finales have always been strange in the sense that while you can normally count on them to crack the top ten for each season, the second episode is almost always better than the first. The only times where I think this has been the exception include Friendship Is Magic, where the first half is far superior to the second because of the character showcases and set-ups and surprisingly To Where And Back Again, where I believe the first half barely edges out the second which really is no slight because the second half was a very enjoyable, if not unorthodox outing for the secondary characters.

Summarily though:

Favourite premiere: The Return Of Harmony, followed by The Cutie Map

Favourite finale: The Cutie Re-Mark followed by Twilight's Kingdom