PC or Consoles? Which is better?

ZethaPonderer

PC or Consoles?  

38 users have voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• PC
    • Consoles

1 hour ago, Celli said:

GoG is amazing. The only thing is it's library isn't nearly as big as steam.

Yeah.  But it's starting to get there.  It managed to get 3 Bethesda games(Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Elder SCrolls IV: Oblivion), and then Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

But the main reason why I'm not a big console gamer as I use to be is that I'm believing that Consoles are no longer as much of a novelty as they use to be.  A Smaller form console has more appeal to me, as does a tablet.  The former because of its simplicity and its true reliance on plug-in-and-play, and the latter because I like taking games on the go.

• Brohoof 2

I don't care. I play on four different platforms. All of them have advantages and disadvantages.
Frankly, console fanboys and PC master races irk me.

• Brohoof 4

9 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

pc gamers should be playing their games instead of talking smack to those less fortunate on the interwebz

We can play our games, and have a music player, VOIP service, a browser with some ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) in the background, and have monitoring software open at the same time. AND, can tell everyone how awesome PC gaming is while doing so!

PC by far. I'm probably biased about this, but I find everything to be more comfortable to do on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am more into PC (if it wasn't because the most modern console I have is a Wii, and my PC is not very powerful). I don't have nothing against consoles, but gaming PCs, while more expensive, have better graphics and are more comfortable when playing some genres like FPS or Strategy. Just my opinion...

15 minutes ago, DayShadow said:

I chose PC because it is objectively superior.

There are certain games that are horribly optimized for PC, though. No matter how powerful PCs can be, too.

23 minutes ago, Jon the Bronynerd said:

There are certain games that are horribly optimized for PC, though. No matter how powerful PCs can be, too.

Which is a shame but that is the fault of the developers. Arkham Knight being a perfect example. 

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, Jon the Bronynerd said:

Consoles have poorly optimized games as well, look at Assassin's Creed Unity. Which brings us to what @DayShadow said, it's the developer's fault, not PC or console. 

In the yesteryear consoles and PCs were very different as there was almost no such thing as ports from one to the other so you kinda picked a side or brand and stuck to it. PC had far better graphics, video quality and mature titles than consoles in the 90's but were also considerably more expensive to obtain and upgrade for every new games requirements. Very rarely did you get a console port onto the PC and in general it was almost always inferior to the console it was made for.

Now at days the PC market is almost ubiquitous for the gaming market as consoles with games requiring a high number of commands like keyboards for MMOs. You cant comfortably play some classes on WoW on a console without a controller with upwards of 40 necessary commands beyond just navigating menus and inventory. Its also almost the be all end all of FPS controls. As well as PC upgrades being largely interrelated thus allowing a very wide variety of video cards to play a game were before only a specific operating system and brand CPU and graphics card were able to properly play a game without heavy crashing.

This may sound like PC shilling but this has also come with a major modern distinction. PCs are now heavily DRM regulated requiring several hoops to jump through just to launch the game. The general advantage of consoles is the lack of requirement to install and authenticate a game to play it. The data is on the disc as well as the DRM as such all you need to do is put the game disc in to immediately start it up. With a PC you almost always have to wait a good 15 minutes before you see the title screen so its not quite an instant gratification.

Honestly PCs allow far more adaptability, graphics and frames per second quality and add ons like mods. They are far superior to consoles after you get them working properly but that isnt always guaranteed with the countless pieces of individual hardware and software on a PC which easily causes crashes and blue screens that you dont see on a console. Its almost always guaranteed to work on a console thus making consoles more attractive to the general audience. But like I said once you get the game working properly the customization and add ons to games can make it a far far superior to consoles but getting past the cost and learning curve of getting games working can be a headache.

Back in the day however it was stupid complicated in the 80's and 90's to update PCs with very little internet reviews and support offered thus leaving you often with unbootable problems after changing hardware. I know of people who majored in computer science in college just to build a PC to play games.

• Brohoof 1

@SONICchaos Actually, DRM on PC has improved vastly over the years. You don't wait 15 minutes to see the title screen, more like 1 minute or less. Also, that will depend on your hardware, and internet connection.

Also, there are non DRM options like GoG, which is growing, not as big as steam, but still an amazing service.

Also, there are non DRM options like GoG, which is growing, not as big as steam, but still an amazing service.

I can only hope it catches on. With DRM like Sim City and Spore you feel like a criminal on a chain gang being supervised by the warden saying "You only get to have so much fun. Any more than that and we break your knees"

Just now, Sugar-Fable said:

Personally I prefer consoles. PC is fine if I like the game though. I do really dislike keyboard controls however so a controller is much better in my opinion. 

You can use a controller on a PC.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar-Fable said:

I know. I just meant I prefer to use one in general~

I don't see why preferring to use a controller counts as preference towards consoles.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Sugar-Fable said:

Personally I prefer consoles. PC is fine if I like the game though. I do really dislike keyboard controls however so a controller is much better in my opinion. 

Keyboard controls are a must for fps games and games that require fast response times, like MOBAs, RTS, and MMOs.

Just now, Celli said:

Keyboard controls are a must for fps games and games that require fast response times, like MOBAs, RTS, and MMOs.

Or, you can be like me and try to offload as many functions as I reasonably can onto the mouse. I have 11 buttons in total on mine, and I USE them.

Just now, Vulon Bii said:

Or, you can be like me and try to offload as many functions as I reasonably can onto the mouse. I have 11 buttons in total on mine, and I USE them.

That sounds like too much trouble tbh. Also my mouse has only like, 6 buttons.

Just now, Celli said:

That sounds like too much trouble tbh. Also my mouse has only like, 6 buttons.

I was mainly referring to using the side buttons. The standard ones are mainly unchanged (left click for fire, right click for aiming down the sight, and scroll wheel for switching weapons). The two buttons on the left side would usually be set to grenades and special abilities where applicable. One of the buttons on the left is set on the mouse as the DPI shift for use as a sniper button, and the other one typically is never mapped to anything. 

I have a G900 BTW. I was also counting the DPI up and down buttons, even though I never use them for games.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Vulon Bii said:

I was mainly referring to using the side buttons. The standard ones are mainly unchanged (left click for fire, right click for aiming down the sight, and scroll wheel for switching weapons). The two buttons on the left side would usually be set to grenades and special abilities where applicable. One of the buttons on the left is set on the mouse as the DPI shift for use as a sniper button, and the other one typically is never mapped to anything. 

I have a G900 BTW. I was also counting the DPI up and down buttons, even though I never use them for games.

I see. I have a steel series rival. It gets the job done. I mainly use the back and forward buttons for web browsing.

Also, you can't use a gaming mouse's buttons for games like World of Warcraft. 

1 minute ago, Celli said:

Also, you can't use a gaming mouse's buttons for games like World of Warcraft. 

Isn't that what the Corsair Scimitar, Logitech G600, and Razer Naga are for? They have 12 buttons just on the side. I know that if I was into MMOs or MOBAs, mice like those would be on my shopping list.

7 hours ago, Vulon Bii said:

Isn't that what the Corsair Scimitar, Logitech G600, and Razer Naga are for? They have 12 buttons just on the side. I know that if I was into MMOs or MOBAs, mice like those would be on my shopping list.

Actually, when playing games like WoW, you need all the buttons a keyboard. More than just 12.