Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Do You Think About Alicorn ocs?

FemaleIntrovert1995

8 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

Most of them are bad, but then again most MLP OCs in general are bad, and most OCs that aren't for MLP are bad too. I don't understand why people make OCs, since it's not like that they are ever going to be a part of the franchise that they are based of off anyway. 

We mostly make them for fun! That's the whole point of OCs. To make an original character to play with. Not everyone who makes an OC wants it to become canon, anyway, so why does it matter to call them bad?

11 hours ago, Techno Universal said:

Uhh... Being mostly what you could call a gentleman that's quite unusually explicit with your language. :)

Hold on are you calling me a gentlemen or yourself?

FlutterDash should be an alicorn. And Rarijack and TwiPie, and Starxie. F**k it make veryone an alicorn. Every main character that is a pony, so that includes the CMC. Everyone is immortal and happy!!!!

Actually just GlimGlam, and alicorn oc's are pretty cool, a lot of people have them. Besides Twi's still an ocd freak despite being an alicorn.

Saw so many Alicorn ocs and i always cringed. The color of the fur is always dark with bright red,green or purple mane.

The best is always their oc storys:

-Alicorn Ocs with splitted personality or possessed by some demon.

-They saved the world multiple times and f..ked every mare in equestria.

-Overpowered and can't controll their power.

• Brohoof 2

Never understood the point of making OCs. It's the same issue with Sonic Fans making their own OCs as well.

Alicorn OCs are overrated and stupidly powerful IMO while Earth Ponie OCs are underrated and rarely if ever used.

Which is why I made my Earth Pony OC concept art at the Requestria forum out of sheer boredom. Just that there's something odd about my OC.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Never understood the point of making OCs. It's the same issue with Sonic Fans making their own OCs as well.

Alicorn OCs are overrated and stupidly powerful IMO while Earth Ponie OCs are underrated and rarely if ever used.

Which is why I made my Earth Pony OC concept art at the Requestria forum out of sheer boredom. Just that there's something odd about my OC.

Hey senpai:

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

I guess it's only fair I put on my link since you put yours @Tilgoreth,

Please note that not only was I bored, but probably lost my marbles to come up with my OC :lol:.

I love it. Fun trumps reality because realoty kicks you in the balls.

• Brohoof 1

So let's talk on oc's: it's not how powerful they are, its how they are used and written!  Not all freaking Alicorn oc's are holy than thou out of this world OPED to a point that it's just like Super Saiyan 1000000000000000 something.   Look peeps.  a oc and how they are used depends on the creator that made them and how they use them.   Yet the moment a person has a Alicorn oc even with faults and not OPED,  well get gained up in some ways.  Which is a little sad given it seems this oc is already black listed and thus may not be used via the person who could have put a lot of thought and rewriting into this OC.  Just based on how others view the oc.  

Now I know Alicorn oc's have become a bit of a bane in brony world, but as said in a song "give peace a chance."!   Just because a person has an Alicorn oc,  don't just throw them under the bus before letting this person use this oc and flushing them out a bit.   Hell, you could get an alicorn with no magic say? An Alicorn whose dream is to be a zookeeper and also not be some form of royale?  Hell, a alicorn whose dream it is to make it as the best baker without the use of magic at all?   Oc's are a window of our outlet in being creative and alicorns are no different depending on the person who makes them!

1 hour ago, Tilgoreth said:

Hold on are you calling me a gentlemen or yourself?

FlutterDash should be an alicorn. And Rarijack and TwiPie, and Starxie. F**k it make veryone an alicorn. Every main character that is a pony, so that includes the CMC. Everyone is immortal and happy!!!!

Actually just GlimGlam, and alicorn oc's are pretty cool, a lot of people have them. Besides Twi's still an ocd freak despite being an alicorn.

Uhh.. I believe I'm referring to myself as a gentleman but still my OC Techno is probably one of the most complex and advanced alicorn OCs ever created. :)

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Techno Universal said:

Uhh.. I believe I'm referring to myself as a gentleman but still my OC Techno is probably one of the most complex and advanced alicorn OCs ever created. :)

lol sorry but irl I do curse a lot.

On 7/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, Yamet said:

Since when does something have to harm anyone before people are allowed to express an opinion about it?  

I am sorry, what do you mean? If everyone is okay with it then it should be fine. If they don't allow it then don't use one.

Just now, Foxy Socks said:

I am sorry, what do you mean? If everyone is okay with it then it should be fine. If they don't allow it then don't use one.

I'm sorry, but what on earth are you talking about? I've literally no idea how the latter part of this has anything to do with my post. I was simply questioning the whole "but if it isn't in the show, why care? [Alicorn OC's] aren't harming anyone." part of your argument.  

• Brohoof 1

'Most' alicorn OCs are just one giant drawn out game of attempting to one-up those around them.

Why bother with originality and being creative? It is the same as superhero OCs who just copy paste Superman abilities on themselves and call it good. Why pick and choose pros and cons to create an interesting character with both merits and flaws when you can just have one who can do anything and then make sure everyone knows about it?

Now to be honest my alicorn OC Techno is literally a ponifide version of myself in real life. So he's basically exactly the same as me with his personality and he's actually me in the far future. He actually can be a really fun character to RP with in the correct storyline setting! :)

• 1 month later...

Allow me to posit you all a question.  What difference is there between making your character an Alicorn versus a...say, a Moose.

Both will stick out like a sore thumb and be clearly better at certain things. Sure, a moose may not have any magic, but several thousand pounds of muscle and a six to nine foot horn length is likely every bit as hard to cope with as a mare muddling minds.

Alicorns are not inherently "Mary Sues." If I can clarify, that term means specifically that the story molds around to cater to that one character. It's the Importance that most alicorn characters fall victim to. I mean, after all, who hasn't daydreamed of having superpowers like flight with wings or a telekinetic channeling horn? It's your character, you pick what you want because you enjoy it and like it! It's your story and Original Character, after all, it ain't on you to make it not a jumbled mess. 

It's that Importance that many young authors fall victim to. In the show, a lot of importance is placed on what alicorns we do have and we all want to feel important, right? But let's take a look at the examples we have. Twilight & Cadence's alicorn powers can be basically boiled down to just making others feel better. While we do have on record that Luna has Dreamwalking & Celestia has her prophetic dreams, that's not the limit of their capabilities. They still get bested (in fact, all of our alicorn mares have had their scuffed-up, bruised, battered & lying in rubble scenes...) and can't just immediately solve their problems by lowering their head, uncorking their horn and just lazerbeaming the foe right out the door. Sure, Luna & Celestia "raise" celestial bodies, but clearly they don't have to manually sit there and adjust it every hour on the hour, they merely get things going, if at all.

A starting writer can't see that complexity right off the bat. After all, the first thing you'd be libel to do is form your character first from the scattered ideas you're forming before forming the story around them. We see the power, the effects, but not the responsibility & after-effects. It's real easy to just see Celestia=Important Role=Everybody Loves Her= I want to be loved, therefore, I should also have importance!  ...but with importance comes a constant measuring stick to everything around you, no matter if everybeing obliges, its still a weight none the less.

The show can give off the impression that Alicorns are automatically granted a title & reverence, but there's intricacies under that. (Do note how I've avoided the Princess term.) I do love alicorns as a species, but not as a role. When you define a character solely by their role & Importance, you rob them of their will & motivations. That's why we love Celestia & Luna. We see them react to not just be reacted at. It's a common rule: Show, don't tell. It doesn't mean a bloody thing to us, the readers, if you just tell us your character is loyal or "motherly." But if you show us how they react, we can swallow your bait easier. But that's what most first attempts, first characters are. In fact, many published stuff or shows on television will even follow that trend. When we start out, we all want to be as clear, but awkward as possible. Just list off bullet points of what are character is while all the negative stuff requires more thought because we are so much more used to seeing faults in ourselves that we don't immediately leap to throw that into our creative recipes.

Going back to my Moose analogy. There's so many ideas you could come up with right off the bat, but that would all be about what that character is. Moose are big, scary, angry things or big, dumb animals. It'd be so easy to make one just be the big unstoppable brute that can smash through brick walls and is just unstoppable by everypony. But that's just abilities, how the world reacts to your character not how your character reacts to the world. 

Every first attempt is not bad, it just needs a neverending supply of work on it! No idea is inherently bad enough that it can't be worked around to leave a heart warming impression on its audience.

...now I really wanna make a cutsey, kids' show mascot that's a heartworm parasite. 

• Brohoof 1

Well really some alicorn OCs are actually really good like my OC Techno is really not actually a completely new character as he's really just a pony version of myself in real life! So he's got the same personality so in the end I somehow have a universal personality in real life so that's why Techno is so incredibly universal. It really just comes down to who I am in real life plus he's also highly modular so you can change quite a lot of things with him to make him fit into an RP! :) 

• 4 years later...