Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Your real personal pilgrimage?

Steel Accord

1 hour ago, Steel Accord said:

I find that, "interesting" but praiseworthy.

Never say never. The soul makes its own horizons. Those are all really good marks to hit in terms of destination stop points. Searching for rich culture.

What, because I'm a nonbeliever? Beautiful architecture is beautiful. The best example I can give for a believer is.. Look at the ancient Greek temples. You don't have to be a believer in the Greek pantheon of deities to find that beautiful.

I sincerely doubt I'll ever be able to go to Europe. Having that kind of money would require me either working hard for decades (not likely to happen with my conditions) or stumbling upon riches suddenly, like winning the lottery. Also no happening. lol

3 hours ago, Envy said:

What, because I'm a nonbeliever? Beautiful architecture is beautiful. The best example I can give for a believer is.. Look at the ancient Greek temples. You don't have to be a believer in the Greek pantheon of deities to find that beautiful.

Certainly not. (And who says I don't believe in them?) That's not the reason why I found that "interesting" but I'd rather not divulge the reasoning in this thread for risk of derailing the topic. Which was already a problem when I first started it if you read some of the earlier posts. Totally my fault though.

3 hours ago, Envy said:

I sincerely doubt I'll ever be able to go to Europe. Having that kind of money would require me either working hard for decades (not likely to happen with my conditions) or stumbling upon riches suddenly, like winning the lottery. Also no happening. lol

You never know, and hard work comes in all forms and can payoff long term.

Edited by Steel Accord

I'd love to travel to Japan, Italy, Southern France and a whole lot more, but I don't really have a unifying theme to connect them beyond the fact that they're pretty and I want to see them. So, to give a more clear cut set of destinations and itinerary, I'm gonna go tourist here and try to hit every Disney theme park worldwide. They're popping up all over and each has so many things I'd love to experience, so that would be a great way to go. And while I'm at it, I'll take a Disney Cruise to get me from one part of the world to another as needed (and as available). That's me, synthetic entertainment all the way. :D

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I'd love to travel to Japan, Italy, Southern France and a whole lot more, but I don't really have a unifying theme to connect them beyond the fact that they're pretty and I want to see them. So, to give a more clear cut set of destinations and itinerary, I'm gonna go tourist here and try to hit every Disney theme park worldwide. They're popping up all over and each has so many things I'd love to experience, so that would be a great way to go. And while I'm at it, I'll take a Disney Cruise to get me from one part of the world to another as needed (and as available). That's me, synthetic entertainment all the way. :D

Fair enough with working within my restrictions. At the same time though, what about those places compels you to them? You say "they're pretty" and I'm sure they are, but what about their beauty is enough to compel visitation at such cost? And I mean this question sincerely. For me, a place must have more to offer than sight seeing. So I'm curious why one would consider the "quest for beauty" a worthy pursuit?

Just now, Steel Accord said:

Fair enough with working within my restrictions. At the same time though, what about those places compels you to them? You say "they're pretty" and I'm sure they are, but what about their beauty is enough to compel visitation at such cost? And I mean this question sincerely. For me, a place must have more to offer than sight seeing. So I'm curious why one would consider the "quest for beauty" a worthy pursuit?

With Japan, I'd want to learn more about their amazingly diverse culture. I want to taste the different foods, see the unique geography and try to understand what makes such a culture all gel together the way that it does. France and Italy are very much for the scenery. When I go on a vacation it doesn't really need to be a lot more that that, as many a traveler will tell you. Beauty is compelling and to behold something like that in person and not in a photograph may be expensive but that's why people travel anywhere rather than simply watch a Youtube video. Seeing a unique part of the world, smell its smells, taste its foods and meet a few folks is all part of basic sightseeing and they broaden the perspective even if there's nothing more specific to it that that. I've seen travel shows about these places and just wanted to be there, in many ways for the reasons I'll become aware of once I get there rather that any preconceived ideas about what I expect to find. Sometimes it's best to just let the destination justify itself on its own terms and enjoy what surprises they may have in store.  

• Brohoof 1

One day, I plan on traveling by car to every major NASCAR racetrack in America, that's actually one of my biggest dreams, to visit every single one, as well as visit every single state here too. Yep, travel by car and stop at hotels and rest areas along the way, and make a real road trip out of it. But I wouldn't want to do it alone, I'd like to take a friend or two along. Yes someday, I'm totally gonna do this. Unless I become a NASCAR driver first, then I'll always be at every track xD

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I would travel around Europe seeing some of the places my family is from. There are several stories I have had to listen to about certain places in France, Italy & Germany among others that I would love to travel and see for myself. And I really would like to go to the Netherlands to see somethings my mother always talked about and wished to see but was never able to go see in real life. Other than that, I would like to travel around the US if not the world taking pictures and documenting interesting & unusual places.

As for moving and living. As a few above me have echoed, I would like to live near the sea. 

• Brohoof 2

@Steel Accord

My first order of business would be to fly to Istanbul (Constantinople) and visit the beautiful Sultanahmet and the magnificent Süleymaniye, two of the most beautiful mosques in the world. I would then travel by ground from Turkey through Syria and Lebanon respectively, perhaps alongside some Tuareg tribesmen. I would then stay in Beirut for a couple of days and have a tour through some of the older districts and try some of their world famous icecream. 

- My ultimate goal would be to see Jerusalem and Petra.

Edited by Guest

I would love to travel to at least one country of each continent (except Antarctica) within my life-time, so this would be the perfect pilgrimage for me:

https://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=C814A

I'd love to go to Australia because of the Great Barrier Reef and the exotic animals. Indonesia because the rainforest is the most beautiful natural place on Earth, in my opinion. Egypt because Ancient Egypt is a very interesting subject of mine. Various European countries listed there, because of all the historical attractions. I've never even been to the East Coast of the U.S. yet, other than Florida! And don't get me started on South America. New Zealand seems like an awesome place to visit too, because I always loved islands like Hawaii and the Caribbean, and the unique bird species there are interesting too. 

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

Kind of did one already; as an aviation geek, I went to the In N out Burger right by LAX international where plane spotting is incredible and probably unrivaled :o . Here's a pic I took.

As far as more serious pilgrimages, I dunno :wacko: .

image.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just so I sort of follow my own advice, I also have a desired personal pilgrimage that I wish to undertake one day. It's ambitious so I will have to save a lot of money and really dial into my training. One day though, I'm going to go on a martial arts world tour. Travel to different parts of the world and spend a couple of weeks studying under different masters. The destiantions thus far are:

-Brazil: Capoeira

-Haiti: Machete Fencing

-The Philippines: Escrima

-Japan: Kenjutsu

-China: Shaolin Kung Fu (my base style is Kung Fu actually)

-India: Kalaripayattu

-Egypt: Tahtib

-Rome: Pankration (yes, I know the style is Greek, but I've already been to Greece and I want to see the Coliseum again!)

-Germany: German Longsword

Obviously I'm not going to visit ALL of those but you get the idea. Imagine all of the places I'd go! The cultures I'd mingle with. The people I'd meet. You can even sort of follow my theoretical route around the world by mentally tracing the places in the listed order. I also intend to visit Israel on this quest but NOT to study Krav Maga actually. I confess, I'm not a huge fan of the style. No, it's just to visit the Holy Land. The Temple Mount, the Wailing Wall, the Holy Sepulcher. See, my pilgrimage is just that, a pilgrimage. A religious journey of mine. Call me crazy, but I believe God calls me to the martial arts and their related faiths. It's why I keep coming back to training, bettering myself. Physically yes, but more what I'm looking for, spiritually. Maybe by the end of this quest I'll be where I'm meant to be in my soul, maybe it's just another step, if a big one. But it is something I feel I have to do.

Edited by Steel Accord

I've read a lot about walking the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail. Also in Japan there's the Shikoku Pilgrimage where you walk all the way around the island visiting 88 Buddhist temples. I think all of that is beyond me but it sound like a great adventure.

Even more impractically, I've dreamed of living on a boat for a few years, taking a world tour literally traveling all the way around the world's coasts ending back in the same place.

• Brohoof 1

Mine would have to be an aviation pilgrimage. I would love to go to the European Alps and try my hand at ridge soaring and to travel around the entire Australian coast line by plane :wub:

• Brohoof 1