96 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• THIS EPISODE WAS JUST AS BAD AS CUTIE MARKS!!! :eww:
    • I really didn't enjoy this episode... :sunny:
    • This episode was...meh.. :mellow:
    • I thought the episode was good...not great tho... :grin:
    • I JUST GOT MY CUTIE MARK IN EPISODE PRAISE!!!! :yay:

29 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

Here's what I adored about that Sweetie Belle bit... we got to see her inner "Rarity-freakout" coming out! :D  Seriously, how many Rarity freakouts have we seen that were just like that? :yay:

I think its a little more generic - even Flutters freaks like that :D

Kettle Corn got her cutie mark! For her, a quill for writing!

I think it's the first time someone got a mark completely unrelated to their name.

TL: Well, you're still going back tomorrow. You can't be a blank flank forever.

Rumble: *smiles evilly*

*turns on receiver* Everypony, prepare your instruments. We got a song comin' up.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Decent episode. I really enjoyed a few if the gags and scenes and the overall message. Dig a little deeper and there is some clever stuff there. One such moment is when Kettle Corn continued to paint when Rumble stated that everyone should stop doing activities that might earn them a cutie mark. This was a subtle nod off support of the overall theme, yet it was done by someone who was still on the "Blank Flank" side of the debate. It was a purposefully designed moment for sure!

Also May Chan is another Avatar TLAB/Voltron writer. =D

The song is really interesting. Not sure if you all pay attention to modern Broadway and off-Broadway stuff, but current songs tend to to fuse old sensibilities from musical theater with modern ones ... and this felt like something along those lines. 

I liked Rumble quite a bit in this one, and I suspect many fans will find a kindred spirit in him. 

That said, something keeps this from hitting all the same notes the best episodes hit. I can't quite put my finger on it, and probably need to watch it again few more times. It's a solid 4/5 using this system. Letter grade maybe a B+ 

• Brohoof 2

Nice episode, although I’d like to see more blank flanks that we already know, and in this episode there were only two of them. The circle filly was cute though. But I still hope we’ll see Dinky and Button Mash in future CMC episodes. Rumble’s behavior at the camp was so relatable – it’s exactly was I used to do at my school’s summer camp. I guess I could really get a cutie mark for being bored back then.

My favorite part – Sweetie and Rumble’s shout-off. Gags like this never get old.

One more thing. Apple Bloom mentioned Olde Ponish. Does it mean that the language they speak now is called Ponish?

Edited by Oleks

This episode was sooooo good. Totally loved Rumble's development and yay we finally have two new ponies who can talk! Being well-rounded is important. As much as I love hanging out in the music section and composing music, I also love sports, cars, games, sci-fi and more. Love the homage to Starlight's little thing. Gave me a feeling of nostalgia. 

Overall, excellent episode!!

I felt Rumble came off as being a huge jerk despite his perspective on things being accurate to a degree. He didn't quite infuriate me as he did to other people according to their thoughts but he wasn't what I would call a character one could relate to. I did like how he called out Apple Bloom regarding what she said about how she continues making potions with Zecora only to not have done so in an unspecified amount of time. It showed the CMC have been spending a bit too much time focusing on what their cutie marks represent and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, they could stand to do other things that interest them.

Thunderlane... When did he become a Wonderbolt? I feel like this should have been explained rather than it happening off-screen as it turned out to be significant when it came to Rumble's attitude. Granted, Thunderlane wasn't perfect as he came off as wanting to dash Rumble's hopes of becoming a Wonderbolt and he didn't try to understand how his little brother felt. I have a feeling that time constraints prevented an explanation to his new status as a Wonderbolt--they really need to fix that issue on of these days.

Best moment without a doubt was Sweetie Belle completely losing her cool and resorting to yelling. We've seen her do this in the past yet this has become especially memorable because she said that the CMC needed to resolve things in a calm manner yet she completely went overboard. Way to follow your own advice, Sweetie Belle. The song itself was pretty good but because it was shown during a clip at Hascon, we all knew it was coming so it wasn't much of a surprise. I was surprised that Vincent Tong voiced Rumble--I really need to recognize his voice better as I'm failing miserably--yet what was even more surprising was that none of the main voice cast were featured in this episode unless I missed one.

At least we got to see new characters as well as returning ones who got major character developments that will no doubt result in new fanfiction being created--also new fanart. That one pony who speaks in haiku... I've got to give her props for being so consistent with it. Did I enjoy this episode though? It was okay though it wasn't the best episode I've seen this season. Rumble's overall presence is what will make or break this one for people.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

That one pony who speaks in haiku... I've got to give her props for being so consistent with it.

The pony forgot one important thing though. Every haiku must end with the sentence "it's snowing on Mt.Fuji" :P

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Hey, Thunderlane's a Wonderbolt now!

Yeah, you saw him in uniform in Parental Glideance too. Nice early nod to that. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, guess I'm gonna be the party pooper here. I found this didactic and tedious. I never cared about Rumble, and his characterization - which amounts to little more than envy and childish projection - isn't what I'd characterize as endearing. Moreover, exposition does not equal strong characterization, and I felt this explicitly stated its main ideas a lot. And I really wish this was way funnier, because that would have done a lot to stave off boredom for me. 

Review to come later. 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Buttonmash1973 said:

I agree. This might had been the last change for DT and SS in  a big role after Lost mark.

I want to say you're being pessimistic about that last chance but looking at Chantal Strand's IMDB it does say "MLP:FiM-2011-2016" I guess that's it for the vocal appearances of not just DT but Spoiled Rich as well (I was just starting to warm up to her persona).

Farewell "speaking" Diamond Tiara you'll still be my third favorite character and live on in all your great antagonistic roles of yesteryear.:(

12 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

I want to say you're being pessimistic about that last chance but looking at Chantal Strand's IMDB it does say "MLP:FiM-2011-2016" I guess that's it for the vocal appearances of not just DT but Spoiled Rich as well (I was just starting to warm up to her persona).

Farewell "speaking" Diamond Tiara you'll still be my third favorite character and live on in all your great antagonistic roles of yesteryear.:(

Editable though; if they choose to hire her for some DT eps in S8, IMDB can be updated.

About Rumble's Voice:

Well whoever said his one line all the way back in S2's "Hurricane Fluttershy, you won't find the kid's name in the credits there. However, it's clear that several years must have passed in-universe given Rumble's now voiced by Vincent Tong (No wonder the voice sound familiar;)), as well as the fact that Zippowhirl's pet, who was a puppy in Season 4's "Filli Vanilli" is now a grown dog in S7's "Forever Filly". Puberty obviously must have hit both of those characters in all that time.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Well whoever said his one line all the way back in S2's "Hurricane Fluttershy, you won't find the kid's name in the credits there.

According to the MLP Wikia, it was Ashleigh Ball -- of all people.