Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think there is such a thing as evil cutie marks?

Ruddboy Olaf

Do you think that ponies can get an evil cutie mark? If so, how would that work? To my knowledge, cutie marks are supposed to represent ponies'
destiny and are usually gotten as fillies/colts. So, if a serial killer were to get a bloody knife cutie mark, would that mean that their destiny was to kill people?

If murderers are too dark for this show, then try to imagine if Tirek were a pony. Would his cutie mark be something to do with conquering Equestria or would conquering Equestria be more of a hobby while something else got the representation?

(BTW, if there's already a topic like this, I'm sorry. The search function seems to be broken.)

Edited by Lord Princess Panzy
Don't like the way it looks
  • Brohoof 1

Evil is subjective. There is no good or evil, those are just concepts which are never final. There obviously has got to be 'evil' cutie marks if there are 'good' ones. I imagine Tirek's cutie mark to be a ball of fire, one that always wants to spread, always grow, like he must always feed and gain power. 

My perception of cutie marks is that of a defining sign of the experience that represents best the nature of a given pony.

The experience of murder of the other self is accepted by our reality, so, I don't see the issue with it being possible within the show, besides it being moderated by the social perception of children awareness and what not. Either way, such collective constructs are as artificial as the electrochemical thought of living organisms.

No I think there is not. Evil is just the way you look at things. Like the bone cutiemark from the Fault in our cutiemarks. They saw it as evil, but the CMC saw the good side of that mark.

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

My perception of cutie marks is that of a defining sign of the experience that represents best the nature of a given pony.

The experience of murder of the other self is accepted by our reality, so, I don't see the issue with it being possible within the show, besides it being moderated by the social perception of children awareness and what not. Either way, such collective constructs are as artificial as the electrochemical thought of living organisms.

giphy.gif

Uhh....From what I gather, you're trying to say that a bloody knife cutie mark doesn't have to represent physically murdering someone else, but rather murdering a
part of pony's personality?

3 hours ago, Hierok, Scoffer of Music said:

No I think there is not. Evil is just the way you look at things. Like the bone cutiemark from the Fault in our cutiemarks. They saw it as evil, but the CMC saw the good side of that mark.

I don't think you can compare a skull to a bloody knife. A skull could represent a lot of things. From being thick-headed, to being a doctor, a theater performer, a health teacher, or an archaeologist. A bloody knife could really only point to being a surgeon or a murderer. Not nearly as many options as a skull.

3 hours ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

What do you think they give the evil, edgy OCs?

I was talking about show logic, not OC logic, since OCs can usually have whatever cutie mark they desire.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Princess Panzy said:

I don't think you can compare a skull to a bloody knife. A skull could represent a lot of things. From being thick-headed, to being a doctor, a theater performer, a health teacher, or an archaeologist. A bloody knife could really only point to being a surgeon or a murderer. Not nearly as many options as a skull.

I don't think anypony ever had a bloody knife as cutiemark, but it could represent a Butcher, an horror actor. Just some random ideas.

Theoretically no. A pony's cutie mark appearing seems like an unavoidable natural occurrence, and I don't think nature, even in Equestria, operates with a morality.

In brief, I would say that as a cutie mark indicates a talent it is not inherently evil* - although certain talents might predispose a pony towards evil actions. To take the example of having a cutie mark showing a talent for murder, being good at murdering isn't inherently evil but making use of it to kill innocents fairly clearly is. This sort of comes up in the show in regards to Shining Armour - note that he has a shield as a cutie mark, and is in the Royal Guard. If his talent relates to protecting ponies through violent means, then some pacifists might consider that evil.

As an interesting thought experiment, consider a pony with a talent for murder joining the police and using using their talent to help solve murders.

*the question presupposes that good and evil exist and can be identified as such.

• Brohoof 1

There's no inherently bad cutie marks,

It's the pony who's became evil,

Nothing else,

But we don't know if anything has free will,

so how can we know if they're inherently evil.

nothing is inherently evil

Edited by Sherbert Music-Guard, Scoffer of Shortbread

I believe evil cutie marks can exist though it doesn't necessarily mean that such a mark is inherently evil. It does depend on the pony who possesses said cutie mark and their choice of actions that will determine the mark's true significance in the struggle between good and evil.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Lord Princess Panzy said:

giphy.gif

Uhh....From what I gather, you're trying to say that a bloody knife cutie mark doesn't have to represent physically murdering someone else, but rather murdering a
part of pony's personality?

I was talking about show logic, not OC logic, since OCs can usually have whatever cutie mark they desire.

Would never happen, a bloody knife cutie mark. A cutie mark is a pony's special talent and destiny. There's usually more to those people who murder senselessly. Not only that, but these people claim to hate themselves more than anything, and studies show that they hated themselves even more every time they committed a murder. Nopony would get that cutie mark. Nopony

No I don't think there is such things as an "Evil cutie mark". I believe this because there's not necessarily such thing as a "Good" cutie mark either. A cutie mark does not define if a pony is going to be good or not, it just shows their special talent. Like I could have a cutie mark of a train because I'm good at building model trains, but I at the same time could abuse fillies and start fights. Even things such as killing is not a "special talent" as anypony has the ability to kill. A cutie mark does not define how a pony will interact emotionally/mentally with the rest of the world, it only shows a task their good at doing.

An interesting question!:ooh: I personally would have to say there aren’t any good or evil cutie marks. Cutie marks define a special talent of the pony. Whether this talent is used for good or evil is completely up to the pony, if you ask me.

Cutie mark will only determine one's talent, while It's the pony's choice to either use it for good or "evil".

• 1 month later...
(edited)

well name one positive way Sombra's could be interpreted 

cause remember destiny is half of the mark, not just talent

and some are destined to be malevolent 

Edited by kaiser5578

i mean guys we have to remember for ponies while nature and nurture are factors we still have a third factor that is not existent with our world. this factor is destiny, now look at Twilight for example, she was destined to become the princess of friendship from the start, it was never her choice. so if our main character can be played like a harp by destiny to be one of the four (now five) most benevolent ponies in the country why can't it play them into becoming a power-mad tyrant?

Even Sombra realized it wasn't his choice by the end of the comic, he also saw that it was his fate to be defeated thus his attempts to hold it at bay, rather than stop it.

The way to go about this I think is in most cases ignore the pony's personality, or the first thing that comes to mind which would be your own opinion of them, and instead think of what they're good at. Sombra for example is regarded evil, but beyond that he's known for his use of dark magic. This could mean his cutie mark is representative of magic, power, or even something seemingly innocent at first glance such has the harboring of knowledge. An extreme example to consider would be a pony OC of Adolf Hitler, who by most westerner's is regarded as the most evil man to ever exist. These typically show a pale skin colored pony, sometimes red, (and a few blue ones that caught my interest since that's not a color normally associated with the man) and of course the cutie mark is a swastika. I wouldn't doubt that he'd pull something like dawning one over his actual cutie mark, like how Starlight had done with an equality symbol over her own but she still had a regular cutie mark so why not him. Perhaps he would having something harmless, like an easel or a podium. No one suspects the horrible things someone or somepony might commit during their adult lives.