Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Disinterest in going to any brony convention?

Octavia Heartstrings

I definitely feel similarly, though I've been to a few smaller meetups in the past. It's just the idea of an entire convention for bronies that puts me off somewhat. Even though I often enjoy interacting with the fandom online, I don't feel comfortable doing so in real life. Even the meetups I've been to weren't completely comfortable and I couldn't relax even when I tried.

It's not weird, it's totally normal. Conventions are not for everyone. Even if you have the money to travel to one for something that you have a true passion for, you also have to be the kind that doesn't get homesick and doesn't mind being around large crowds most of the day.

• Brohoof 2

It’s not strange at all. Some people are more comfortable with interacting with others online rather than in a large setting like a convention. There are those that doesn’t like large crowds either.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2

Unfortunately, most brony conventions aren't near me. There used to be one in my area, but it is no longer being held. While I'd love to go to one, I think it's a little too late now; if I had been a fan back in 2012 or so, I would have had a lot more options. I'd like to think I could make it to the final BronyCon, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I wouldn't say that it's weird. Everyone has their reasons for not wanting to go to a convention--it doesn't matter if people understand/accept them or not--and so they shouldn't be called out or looked down upon by their respective communities. I wouldn't go to one because I'm not very comfortable around crowds and I see myself as more of a casual fan rather than being full-blown obsessive.

• Brohoof 2

I made some tweaks to the topic title to invite a more open ended discussion about disinterest in convention attendance. 

• Brohoof 5

Financial reasons usually kept me away from any convention, and distance. Even if I had the money a lot of the conventions are held pretty far away from where I live.

Not to mention i'm not a big fan of people, so theres that.

having none nearby makes it too much of a challenge to attend one, and i'm not interested enough in it to undertake that task, interacting with the comunity through the internet is good enough for me i guess

• Brohoof 1

I'm also not interested in attending a convention. I'm not a very social person, so a crowded environment isn't really my taste.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Yeah, conventions aren't for everyone, but even with my sometimes extreme shyness, I'm practically desperate to go to pony conventions. After years of trying to find a way to get to one, (mostly money problems and the fact that I wasn't an adult yet) I finally made it to Everfree Northwest this past year. That's my closest convention other than ones in Vancouver, and it was still over a 10 hour drive. Too bad my depression issues got the best of me while I was there and degraded the experience quite a bit for me. Now I'm trying to find a way to get to Bronycon, even though I'm starting school next year and going into student debt. I don't know why conventions fascinate me so much, they just do. :twismile:

My disinterest would be from the notoriety of bronies being too overbearing for most people at conventions. I would go to one if I had the money and time, but alas, I have neither.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's because you're... Shy.:D

Don't worry, I was pretty shy at my first convention as I don't like being around crowds. But I like going to conventions as there aren't many bronies where I live. And for the pony merch. It's just like a meetup for people that are weird as us, and have the same interests. :twismile:

• Brohoof 2

It depends somewhat on how well the convention was put together. I've only been to one convention (a Star wars one) and it was terrible; staffed by costumed idiots throwing their weight around and acting as though the fans, who spent big money to be there, were a tiresome annoyance. The lines were long, you couldn't take a picture of anything (ridiculous right?) and most of the exhibits closed long before their scheduled time.

If it was handled well, a pony convention could be fun, but I don't really want to socialize in person or do meetups (after another bad experience). Basically, I'd rather enjoy my interests from a safe distance and save my money for something else.