Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Can't Discord just like snap his fingers and destroy any antagonist?

Unity

So, I dont remember if there was a reason for this, but I really haven't seen Discord in most of S7 for what I can remember. But, couldn't the Mane 6 just have  asked Discord to turn Stygian into a frog or something?

I feel like discord could just snap his fingers and he could teleport an antagonist away.

Is there a reason for him not to?

plot convenience

Sombra terrorizing the Crystal Empire? Let's have Discord snap his fingers at him!

Chrysalis attacking Canterlot? Let's get Discord on it!

Starlight Glimmer? Discord!

Storm King? Discord!

see? why even have a suspenseful 2-parter if you just toss Discord at every problem?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

Well, he'd have to show up to do this first. He usually only appears when he feels like it. Then they'd also have to actually convince him to help. Remember the Season 4 premiere? The most useful thing he did was give cryptic hints and annoy Twilight into following her friends again. Maybe if they got Fluttershy to ask him really, really nicely he'd stop the bad guy, but otherwise he'll probably just sit back and enjoy with a bucket of mango flavored popcorn or something. Discord might be "Reformed" but he's still not really a "Good guy" in that way.

Plus, if he ever does actually show up in a two-parter or movie again, they'll probably find some way to nerf him, like Chrysalis's throne, or Tirek sucking his magic out. It's kind of necessary to keep him from breaking everything.

Because, contrary to popular belief, Discord is not Thanos. Q maybe, but not Thanos.

Also, "Where would be the fun in that?" Sure, Discord could solve all of life's problems with a snap, he just doesn't want to because it's boring.

I would think so....? Actually, yeah I can see that. "MLP Finales:How It Should End. "

On 2018-08-28 at 2:53 PM, PoisonClaw said:

Also, "Where would be the fun in that?" Sure, Discord could solve all of life's problems with a snap, he just doesn't want to because it's boring.

He's addicted to complexity, not unlike The Riddler.

Edited by Castle Bleck

12 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

It’s why the writers had to find a way to nullify his powers at the end of season 6. It would have been over way too quickly and Starlight wouldn’t have had her character arc. 

Exactly.

Same thing when When Disney's Genie became a free Genie, his Phenomenal Cosmic Powers became Nearly Phenomenal Semi-Cosmic powers to avoid having every conflict Aladdin faces be resolvable in a few seconds. 

37 minutes ago, Unity said:

So, I dont remember if there was a reason for this, but I really haven't seen Discord in most of S7 for what I can remember. But, couldn't the Mane 6 just have  asked Discord to turn Stygian into a frog or something?

I feel like discord could just snap his fingers and he could teleport an antagonist away.

Is there a reason for him not to?

And Stygian himself is NOT evil. The Pony of Shadows itself was using him as a host.

1 minute ago, Will Guide said:

Exactly.

Same thing when When Disney's Genie became a free Genie, his Phenomenal Cosmic Powers became Nearly Phenomenal Semi-Cosmic powers to avoid having every conflict Aladdin faces be resolvable in a few seconds. 

Right. That would beg the question though. If Jafar was freed from his lamp, would he retain his genie powers or would they go away since he was originally human?

It's probably because they never used their own military force n it's full potential, lack of letal weapons included. It never occurred to them not even to Discord to use violence in such a way that they would wipe out the opponent with a snap of the claw.

Edited by R.D.Dash

that's not Discord's way, even when he can just snap his claws and do anything, he usually uses overly complicated ways and subtle hints to get what he wants, it's more fun this way, and he may be reformed, but he is not their puppet, or a weapon to be used whenever ponies need him, it would be more troublesome to convince Discord for help than actually defeat the vilains themselves in most cases

"He [Discord] could take on the entire Changeling army by sneezing if he wanted to." - Starlight Glimmer, To Where and Back Again - Part 2

Besides, "Where's the fun in that?", it's also worth pointing out that it is something the creative team is self-aware of. More worth pointing out though is that the main characters are not out to "destroy the bad guys". Not only are they more powerful together than Discord, but they fight against the villains to prove that their way, the way of friendship, triumphs over the power of evil.

I will give you more or less the same answer real Discord would give you, feel free to read in John de Lancie's voice: "I could... but where's the fun in that?"

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Passion said:

I will give you more or less the same answer real Discord would give you, feel free to read in John de Lancie's voice: "I could... but where's the fun in that?"

This is the best answer. It's not in Discord's interest to solve everyone's problems.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I will share my opinion as well and you can disagree with me if you want to. As far as I can guess, Discord's powers/magic is also limited, I mean he can do so many feats, but not everything. "Where's fun in that?" Discord from the perspective of a pony/human and such creatures might seems like having endless powers but even he has his limits.

I mean did you ever notice that he:

Can't destroy/face elements of harmony (Return of Harmony)

Can't cure himself/prevent himself from desease (Three's crowd)

Can't even guess the intentions of his enemy from miles away (S4 Finale)

Effected by magic-reheblitators such as dark stone at Chrysalis' throne (To where and Back again)

There is so much he can't do just by the snap of his claws. Just as he can't solve every problem.

He's just an ancient creatures with a powerful form of chaotic magic. That's all.

Edited by Totally An Admirer

And I think he may actually chime in if Equestria was going to be destroyed.

But also I didn't really think, he is the element of Chaos, not kindness.

Can he? I mean, he cannot even unravel a simple spell. Ethereal form status effect is far less complicated than the magical meshwork of a living creature ... is what I would like to say. Discord is just one in the long line of mistakes that will never get defined due to FIM not being an actual fantasy world but a stage for peddling lessons. One could use lasagna as an entire argument and none of you would be able to prove that that is not indeed the case. So here it is: It's cause bucking lasagna. Peace!

11 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Can he? I mean, he cannot even unravel a simple spell. Ethereal form status effect is far less complicated than the magical meshwork of a living creature ... is what I would like to say. Discord is just one in the long line of mistakes that will never get defined due to FIM not being an actual fantasy world but a stage for peddling lessons. One could use lasagna as an entire argument and none of you would be able to prove that that is not indeed the case. So here it is: It's cause bucking lasagna. Peace!

Why you think so? So, I say prove that your lasagna argument exists, otherwise you're wrong. Now, how you're gonna prove yourself right?

Edited by Totally An Admirer

If Discord had been able to do that, a lot of events in the show either wouldn't have happened or they would have except in a completely different manner. Perhaps Discord simply doesn't want to destroy an antagonist simply because it would be too easy for him. Plus, he'd be denied the opportunity to cause his usual chaos just to get ponies annoyed with him. Then again, there might be some restrictions as there are some things in Equestria whose power is beyond even his.

They use Discord for jokes and gags. Not an inherently bad thing, bit it is the same arguments you see with Trek fans and Q. Q continued to make appearances because the actor was fun and he was a fan favorite, but how his powers worked were always nebulus by design.  

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Totally An Admirer said:

Why you think so? So, I say prove that your lasagna argument exists, otherwise you're wrong. Now, how you're gonna prove yourself right?

Such magic would cause his lasagna to overheat and he would die.

Just now, Totally An Admirer said:

Okay, now I am confused, what exactly you're referring as lasagna here? But please try to stay on the topic.

His internal organ, of course.