Disappointed in S9 so far.

CastletonSnob

(edited)

I'm kind of disappointed by S9 so far. I was hoping for episodes that would tie up the loose ends, being the last season of the show and all. Instead, we're getting the same slice-of-life episodes we've been getting in previous seasons. 

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 6

What is exactly wrong with slice of life episodes? To be heavily honest with you, the only dissappointing episode this season for me was the previous one. I felt that they just forced a ship onto Yona and Sandbar and just went with it. The ponies were trying to make her more pony-like even though she is a... yak.

• Brohoof 5

How are the slice of life episodes "Filler"? The show has always been primarily slice of life, they aren't really filler.

6 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

The ponies were trying to make her more pony-like even though she is a... yak.

Just gonna point out, that's basically what Yona asked for. Rarity originally wanted to make her stand out but Yona requested help with "Fitting in" so that's what they did. It's not like they tried to push anything on her she didn't specifically want.

• Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Just gonna point out, that's basically what Yona asked for. Rarity originally wanted to make her stand out but Yona requested help with "Fitting in" so that's what they did. It's not like they tried to push anything on her she didn't specifically want.

I mean yes, but I still feel it could of been executed better. How could it be executed better? I'm not entirely sure myself.

6 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I mean yes, but I still feel it could of been executed better. How could it be executed better? I'm not entirely sure myself.

That could be said about almost anything really. Though I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you myself. Just I've seen a few people seemingly miss they were only doing what she asked and lay the blame for things solely on them.

42 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I'm kind of disappointed by S9 so far. I was hoping for episodes that would tie up the loose ends, being the last season of the show and all. Instead, we're getting the same slice-of-life episodes we've been getting in previous seasons. 

Can you give some examples of lose ends that need attention? I can’t really think of anything off hand. 

• Brohoof 3

When aren't you disappointed? Why are you still watching the show? Every season you're constantly doommongering, saying your getting ready to quit the show, yet you're still here

This isn't a fucking anime. None of these episodes are filler, 90% of the entire damn show are simple, slice of life episode

• Brohoof 7

28 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

When aren't you disappointed? Why are you still watching the show? Every season you're constantly doommongering, saying your getting ready to quit the show, yet you're still here

This isn't a fucking anime. None of these episodes are filler, 90% of the entire damn show are simple, slice of life episode

Yeah, this. This has never been the kind of show for gaiden style drama, it's a fantasy comedy show for kids that occasionally likes to stray outside its comfort zone. The show has always been like this, you don't have to watch it anymore even if you don't want to acknowledge the fact. You want to come back for G5 one day, that's good. However, let us see what the last of G4 is like before judging it based on not being what we expected so far. 

• Brohoof 5

Hasbro isn't interested in tying up loose ends seeing as Friendship is Magic isn't meant to be taken as a serious program. For them, it's all about getting as many toys sold and what better way than to introduce more new characters and have them involved in slice-of-life scenarios. Also, current characters get the same treatment. While I would love to see some more adventure styled episodes along with some meaningful resolutions, I've accepted the fact that this isn't the main focus. Season nine has been good from what I've seen though not everything turned out as well as what one hoped for.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Only episodes I didn't like so far were Point of No Return and Uprooted. The next one, Frenemies – I'm really gonna hate that one.

Edited by FirePuppy

Definitely. There should be a great gathering of forces to build a unified Equestrian army against the forces of Grogar. All the ponies charge with the Princesses at their lead and die gloriously, leaving nothing behind but destruction and mayhem, with a small patch of pretty butterflies flitting about a damaged flower to give the audience a little hope from the tragic drama of the Equine Condition. 

Spike's been doing pretty well so far, so I say the season is fine... for now.... let's see how far he could go!

But besides him, we had a pretty intense premiere, a special episode for the VAs, and Quibble's return! She's All Yak was a bit predictable, but it wasn't bad! It's one of my least favorite episodes of the season so far, but that doesn't mean it's bad! I'm not sure if you noticed, but episodes 8 and 9, the next two, they actually look pretty interesting!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I to am disappointed in season 9 so far with the exception of a few episodes. Sparkles seven, Commond ground, the beginning of the end are the only good episodes of the season for me so far. I don’t like how Starlight is barley around anymore it’s like she’s not even apart of the group anymore. I  also don’t like how the young 6 are getting all the attention again with the exception of Twilight. So far the only loose end we’ve tied up this season is spike relationship With Twilight, The mane 6 and shining armor.  Speaking of spike he’s been great this season let’s hope that he continues to be great. But other that we haven’t really gotten any other loose ends. I’m hoping the rest of the season isint gonna force Twilight being a focus in every episode. And the student 6 are cut back a little and Starlight gets more appearances at the school with the mane 6. That being said this isint the worst start to a season. In fact its premiere is my second favorite 2 parter. 

Edited by Fluttertastic 16

12 hours ago, This Whomps said:

Cause Senko-san and Isekai Quartet are seinen bloodbaths with extensive storylines. What's next? Gonna tell us that Disney princesses are too hardcore to be compared to Pony? Well, you'd probably be right.

Anyhow, the only true disappointment comes from Grogar being some grumpy old geezer. Where's the pizzazz?

So far the season is fine, its pretty much what I expected. Other then the premier and episode 200 no other episode was really mind blowing but I liked them, the only one I disliked so far was uproored. Talking about tying up loose ends, I too hope that they will tie at least the important and most discussed ones.  Like scoots parents, zecoras origin etc...

Spoiler

I think episodes 8,9,12,13, all look promising and I am confident at least some of them will be great, episodes 10 and 11 can turn out good too if handled right. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

It's been an amazing season so far for me!

And I'm sure the time will come eventually for the season to tie up loose ends because there have only been 7 episodes that have aired so far and there are 19 more to go, it's not even halfway through yet.

Edited by EpicEnergy

What loose ends are there to address? To the best of my memory, Spike's parents have never come up as a topic of scrutiny. His character isn't at all defined by his parents' status.

MLP's arcs are usually contained to a single season. Overarching closure is less an issue here than in, say, Endgame or Steven Universe. Seasons 1-3 culminating with Twilight becoming a princess was about a close as we came to narrative bookends.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I'm disappointed too. Not that I didn't see it coming from far away. I don't even expect them to tie up 'loose ends', because it would make a more of a mess. I prefer slice of life episodes more than any other kind of episodes, just focus on making good episodes. Besides, MLP is mostly a slice of life cartoon. I don't need or want an Endgame kind of a conclusion in MLP. I just wish they have been cared (and will care) more about the episodes themselves as a self-contained story, rather than the connection and continuity between them, aka season arks.

The season premiere was the extreme of the prime example of what I was thinking getting more and more problematic about more recent premieres and finale episodes. It felt like a self parody. The third episode was predictable, boring, uninspired, annoying, indifferent. The forth episode was nice, but to think of, it was a 200th episode special, and if they took extra effort to end up making an averagely above episode, what would normal episodes be like? She's All Yak was confusing, generic, unflavorful, predictable, boring episode as well.

Before we ask questions like 'what is Applejack's parent's autopsy report?' or 'what prison cell number is that Spike's parents are locked in?' or 'what more tragic past that Luna or Celestia could have had?' or 'how powerful Twilight's magic beam is?', we should also think about if it is a worthy subject that should be answered in the first place. Be careful what you wish for. Don't ask things that wasn't meant to belong in the show.

Right now, MLP kinda feels like The Last Jedi in a bad way. Failed to live up to past episodes, and failing to set up and develop new characters while wasting up old characters which people cared most of and was the primary reason why people cared about the show for this long in the first place. Hard to set up things for future episodes, and also hard to clean up (or ignore) all the mess they have made and conclude the story when things went this far. (fortunately, this is the last season and we don't have much to go on.)

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

18 hours ago, This Whomps said:

That's what every shitty owner says in Kitchen Nightmare.

I'm disappointed, but not because I thought the season would be good. Based on the last 2 seasons, I knew this season would suck. The reason I'm disappointed is because I thought the season would be a mess that I could laugh at or that would at least be interestingly bad. Like episodes with problems that are interesting to talk about and wonder why the decisions were made. So far, season 9 only has one episode like that: The premiere. Aside from that, the episodes have been mediocre. Not actually good, not interestingly bad, and not even bad enough to laugh at. Sparkle's Seven is an exception since it's actually good, but it's still not something that sticks in my mind and it doesn't do anything great.

Seasons 1-3 had a charm to them that no other show has captured. There's something about those seasons that makes them stick in my mind and makes them distinct from every other show I've seen. They're not better than every other show I've seen (not even close), but they stick out and I respect them for that. 

Nowadays, the show doesn't do anything really unique. The art style is somewhat unique, but the charm and cuteness has been washed away in favor of "funnie" faces. Both the story arc and slice of life episodes do nothing that hasn't been done better in other shows. And without that unique personality, there's nothing keeping me from watching those instead. MLP is just fine with hitting some story beats, having some generic jokes, and calling it a day. There is nothing that makes MLP stick out to me anymore. And that's a shame.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The only episode I felt forced was the last one with Yona and Sanbar.

Spoiler

There is a difference between wanting to fit in and be yourself and then somehow ending up with wearing uncomfortable dress and a purple wig that no one else is wearing it.

Spoiler

They probably should have made Fluttershy point out that Yona individuality is what makes Yona Yona, and if they did that then the episode would probably fixed itself

Edited by R.D.Dash
Added a spoiler warning
  • Brohoof 2

23 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

I agree with you 100%. I was hoping the episodes aired this season would entail answering some questions that have been left unanswered or the season having an overall story of the main characters dealing with Grogar and his plans. I don’t want to have to wait until the season finale to see Grogar in action. I know that we are still early in and things may change but right now, I am not very satisifed with the episodes. I will admit that I have high expectations for this season and I realize that they may be a tad too high, however...