Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What role did you play in the school play?

Reecejackox

During my infant school years, I played a shepherd during the school nativity.

Second year of infant school, I played the role of one of several mice in a play that I couldn't remember the name of.

In my final year of Primary School I played a peasant in The Perils of Prince Percy of Pomegranate. I only had two lines. One of which involved yelling out to cut off Prince Percy's head. Also, thanks to my classmate who was playing the role of Prince Percy, I had to hold my laughter on stage when he kept pulling funny faces with his costume's rubber nose from inside the cardboard box which was being used as the executioner's block.

We didn't have school plays ;n;

Instead I joined the amateur theater in town. We mostly pulled off stunts like playing Easter bunnies on a train and big egg hunt. Kids love me for some reason. 

Once we managed the local medieval fair and I was an angry peasant that got put into the well lol.

Another time in a musical I was a maid (Austrian alpine style) - probably my favorite! 

I performed in a few school plays, but the one role that stands out the most was a minor bit part - playing Nikola Tesla.

I was, what, nine?... and we were doing a play about Thomas Alva Edison, called 'The Electric Sunshine Man', and I was one of the laboratory assistants; the teacher told me I was Tesla - now, do realize, this was WAAAAAAY before folks knew the truth about Edison & Tesla, so the whole play was centered around Edison. 

Also understand that this play was a BIG deal for my teacher, who was known to be a bit of a perfectionist, so he'd been VERY PARTICULAR with us, and had it drilled into our heads that this had to go off without a single, solitary hitch.  And he was one of those guys who was really nice... until you pissed him off, when he became the guy who *seethes* at you for the rest of the day if you hit a wrong note or forgot a line.

My role was to stand on center stage as the teacher narrated (from Edison's point of view), and I quote 'play with the stuff we have as a lab onstage'.  What we had were a number of beakers, tubes, bottles and such, along with some baking soda and a cupful of vinegar...

Yes, those of you who know of the combination of those last two items have an idea of what's coming.

Right as it got to the section with my line, I decided this 'Telsa' fellow whom I'd never heard of was going to be an innovator (the irony, I know)... so, I sprinkled some baking soda into the biggest beaker we had there, and just as I said my ONLY line-

"And we just kept going, day and night, to find the one thing we were missing!"  (in reference to the creation of the light bulb)

-and poured the entire cupful of vinegar into the beaker, and PROMPTLY put the cork in it.  Which stayed put for all of three seconds, before shooting off with a rather loud >POOMP!< sound and sailing across the auditoruim, all the way to the back, where it struck a trophy case (and almost cracked the glass).

The audience was highly amused, and I got a number of laughs; my teacher looked like he wanted to strangle the life from my scrawny body... but the 'on with the show' rule saved my hide that night.

We got grand applause for the performance, but my teacher pulled me aside afterwards to ask what happened.  I told him I was just tying to look 'science-y', and that I didn't think it would have done THAT.  He seemed irritated with me, but I was NINE, for crying out loud... and he knew it.  He was obviously upset with me, but he didn't yell at or belittle me; he told me to think before I acted next time, and to practice any stunts I wanted to try BEFORE the night of the big play.

Since then, I had a few more roles, but none of them stuck out to me like that one did... especially, years later, when it became common knowledge about how Telsa had contributed to the scientific world.  And to think - the teacher called me Tesla, and I ended up disrupting the Edison play.  Spiritual revenge, maybe?

I'll accept it.  Makes the role that much more interesting, to me. 

• Brohoof 1

8th grade we have this Middle Musical School, I was the nerd. Not that I wasn't one already.. But I add humors to my character and everyone seems to like that idea. On my high school years we were doing a play about a Saint (don't remember who) and I was the guard. A mean one at that :laugh:  We also did Othello which I played as Iago. It was a bit challenging   since the speech was an old English so it was difficult to act as a character while trying to say the line correctly. But I was happy that I was able nailed the role at the end. 

Just now, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

Wait really? Wow? How did you get the qualifications needed to go into further education?

:confused: What do you mean? I'm only in a simple 2 year associate's degree college program. It ain't like it's Harvard or something. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

:confused: What do you mean? I'm only in a simple 2 year associate's degree college program. It ain't like it's Harvard or something. :ButtercupLaugh:

I actually have no idea on what it takes to get into college lmao. 

None of the schools I went to ever had a school play. I would assume it was due to budget reasons. *shrug*

In the first grade I played the lead as Anansi the spider in one of two plays about him from the books we were reading as a class, and in the fourth grade I played the mayor in a play called Captain Obvious, but I added too it by making him an old man, and I've never broken character since. :P

I acted in two elementary school musicals. In fifth grade, I was an ensemble role in Annie (orphan for one half, butler for the other). In sixth grade, I was Lewis in Pippin.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

In elementary school we did a play about the importance of brushing one's teeth. Basically this girl sues her dentist because she got a cavity or something, but she wasn't flossing or brushing anyway. I played the judge and was told I did an outstanding job.

It was all downhill from there! I peaked at the third grade play!

• Brohoof 1

I had in my elementary school once a christmas play and I played santa claus. I sadly cannot remember what the story was about ( I mean, I was something around 10).

The first play I got the role of Betty Parris in the Crucible because I was the shortest. :okiedokieloki:

Then I got Professor Willard in Our Town but couldn't go on because I got pneumonia and was out sick for 3 months.

Last one I got Abby Brewster in Arsenic and Old Lace, the most fun one.

(edited)

The only school play I was ever part of was "Annie" (Little Orphan, not Get Your Gun) in 6th grade. I was one of about 15 "street people" (homeless people) in three scenes - one where we were just supposed to act cold and like we were hiding from the police, one where we sang "We'd Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover", and then later where we sang backup for "NYC".

I tried out for a part in "Grease", and then later in high school, I tried out for West Side Story. Didn't make the cut in either one, though in WSS, I helped out with planning sound and lighting before someone else took it over.

Edited by Pixel Stick
Clarifying something

Well in elementary school I was going to play Rapunzel’s mother...

Spoiler

1B62AE77-50C9-4D2E-9048-935DD09C0408.jpeg.4128ce8945677d4bafd8d5e6b6a4677f.jpeg

No not that one. She wouldn’t exist until I was in college.

But yeah, I got sick and they had to replace me.

But in high school we did a production of Beauty and the Beast. I was an extra. I played a villager... and a cheese grater. XD