Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is Your Opinion on Work?

EpicEnergy

I've been browsing Reddit occasionally, and there's this subreddit called "r/antiwork". This is their "about this community" description:

"A subreddit for those who want to end work, are curious about ending work, want to get the most out of a work-free life, want more information on anti-work ideas and want personal help with their own jobs/work-related struggles."

This got me thinking about how MLP Forums members view work. Do you hate, love, or are indifferent towards work? Do you have any anti-work ideals?

• Brohoof 1

I have always disliked working. I go to work every day and can’t stop thinking about how much I’d rather be at home asleep, playing video games, and being lazy. I have had this outlook since my first job at 16 years old. I tell myself all the time that I wish I could get paid on a livable wage by just doing whatever the hell I want at home. I despise getting up early, hate having to use my energy on demanding tasks, and dealing with clients.

I love what I do and I am good at what I do, yes, but if given the option to get paid to sleep and be lazy? I’m taking that.

• Brohoof 1

I love working. It gives me something to do and I could give back to my community and put smiles on people's faces. Yes, there are jobs I wouldn;'t wanna do, but a great quote I stand on is "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". As much as I wanna stay home to make music or play video games or go different places, I love where I work because I get to serve people and see them succeed at what they do. I think the reason why people don't like their work is because of quite a few factors: the setting, the people around them, the customers they serve and the tasks that they are given. I actually miss my movie theater job. Yes, I was getting minimum wage, but I was always interacting with people and co-workers. It was such a great atmosphere. 

I nearly got dragged into a call center job and thanks be to God it didn't work out. Firstly, no one wanted to talk with me, even when I simply said hi. That right there was a sign and plus the fact that there were irate customers on a daily basis...nah, that would not work for me. 

So in the end, you gotta work to find the best workplace that fits for you, which adds to the fun of looking for a job. 

• Brohoof 2

I figured reddit wouldn't need that subreddit as I don't think anyone there works as it is...that isn't that "how to be a beggar-hobo" is it?

Anyways, I get extremely bored of not doing something, as in productive things which there's a 90% chance it would be called work, so that's my opinion on it.

• Brohoof 2

Work gives people purpose and enables people to uplift their socio-economic standing and provide for themselves and their families, whilst at the same time contributing to the economy. Of course it's a good thing. I know that specific jobs can suck due to a myriad of factors, but I don't think that's a valid defense of the "anti work" rhetoric often spouted on the internet these days.

• Brohoof 2

Work is work- as much as working is a huge drag and a pain and I despite working, it is necessary. I mean, I'm glad at the least that I have one right?  I would dread to go to work but I figured if I change my mindset on it and giving it a new 'purpose' beside just "making money"- it's actually less painful...sometime. If I don't have to deal with rude people. Also I might have become a bit of a workaholic over times since I started working at age 15. Even calling a day off would make me feel bad about it or I tend to work harder than I'm getting paid for. I grown to try not to think about work and money  like 24/7 and take it easy for myself.  Otherwise I might end like my dad. :sealed: Overall, work is a necessity but it all depends on your mindset on it and how you make out most of it.  Most importantly, don't overwork yourself. Because that's the main killer to ruining your whole working experiences.

Depends on the work itself. I enjoy working with my hands and creating digital art and getting things organized. A 9-5 job is just another system of slavery and a lot of people find themselves trapped in it. But some times you have to do what you have to do in order to get by - the trick is finding something that won't make you want to off yourself every time you clock in.

• Brohoof 1

I completely understand why societies have to incentivize people to work. So I'm not "anti-work", however, I do agree with some of the sentiments expressed on that Reddit. Largely that I think that our lives are far too work-centric right now. It used to be far worse, but even still the average work week being eight hours five days of a seven day week with little vacation is harsh. There needs to be a better balance in life, so we have more free time.

Work weeks are very rigid, and it can burn you out really quick. One thing I really liked about college (it has its own stresses, though, don't get me wrong!) is how varied you could make each day. You could have a couple of hours off one day that you didn't the other, it gave you time for a nap on those days. You could have your classes start later on some days, giving you some time to sleep in. Also, professors would have to take off some days, leaving you with open time that you didn't anticipate.

I know we can't make it exactly like college life, for obvious reasons... but we need to find some way to make it less rigid, and also have more free time - more time to live.

Welp. I'm currently doing 4 days out of 7, and I can say this way life is "more than just work" as I can focus on other stuff, be it leisure or school (gosh how I wish I could just finish that already...).

I can afford to do that though. Others not so much. You definitely save on commutes if you cram more work into fewer days.

Best case scenario, you like your job.

Edited by WWolf

I think work is important because it’s good to invest in yourself before you go out on your own. Like many others have said here, though, if you’re constantly burned out, you should consider finding a different job if you have the ability to do so. It’s also important to note that your work days do depend on your attitude as well as your wage, atmosphere, etc. If you have a crappy mood every time you clock in, that’ll affect your mental health and make other people react negatively towards you. You don’t have to be all smiles and giggles 24/7 but putting yourself in the mindset of “I really hate my job” is not a healthy mindset to have.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine most people want to work; people want to feel productive and contribute to society. The problem is that a lot of jobs have rude customers/coworkers, demanding managers, tasks that don't allow a worker to reach their full potential, or just an overall unhealthy work culture. If you like your job, you've struck gold. 

I'm at the point where I'm graduating college and looking for a full-time job, but I'm fortunate that I can afford to be picky. That means no overtime, coworkers my age, assignments I enjoy doing, and a flexible schedule. But many aren't so lucky and have to take whatever they can get out of desperation, it's sad.

• Brohoof 1

Work is ultimately necessary but the state of the job market and average working conditions are just horrendous. Its no wonder people are resentful of the mere concept. I watch my family work themselves to exhaustion every day without benefits and earning just enough to cover rent with a little extra on the side. And others have it worse! I think if general work culture changed and people earned enough to do more than just survive, a lot of people wouldn't be so averse to work.

• Brohoof 2

I work two jobs and oddly I do like working.  I'm good at it. My thing as a worker is to make a job worth it for the person.  There is a lot of toxic work places, which i also deal with too as a worker.  For me,  my coworkers are worth coming in,  its are so called management that makes our place a living hell at times.   My main job is in retail,  so yes I deal with a lot and its not always the best. My  other job is i work at a local restaurant,  its easy,  ppl are super relaxed and its  fun place to work.   I do like working at both my jobs,  they offer me different outlets in many ways, but its the work aura  t that will kill any work place. .

• Brohoof 2

Human effort in order to provide the necessities of life, ain't going away any time soon.  Fleeting dreams of idealistic people with little life experience notwithstanding. 

My opinion is unless you are one of the tiny fraction of ppl wealthy enough to not need to work, you might as well get used to the notion that you'll be working most of your life.   And if you are in that lucky class, you'll probably chose to work at something.

Might as well make the best of it.  Find a career you enjoy, or are good at.  Find places where you like who you work with.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work has a useful place as long as it doesn’t monopolize all of life. Leisure is just as important and both should have a proper balance. Work is a great way to train the body and mind to focus and accomplish things that don’t necessarily come naturally. Not to mention the fun of spending those paychecks (all 20 cents net income if ‘em!)

• Brohoof 1