Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is one thing that would make you rage quit G5?

phantompone1148

3 hours ago, The Recherche said:

Anything that panders too hard to G4, basically. I do like G4, of course, but I really hope that Gen 5 can carve out its own identity, not just be the successor kissing G4's heels. I have seen one too many series who get sequels or reboots that basically only exist to praise the original entry, and not add anything new. Nostalgia in general is just a huge tar pit in our popular culture nowadays, if you ask me; I am more hungry than ever for some creativity and originality.

I agree. G5 needs to have its own identity without standing on the shoulders on G4. It needs to do its own world building now that it’s been an unknown number of years since season 9. Do I want to know what happened during that time? Of course but it shouldn’t be the mane focus (I see what you did there. :okiedokieloki:). G5 won’t be able to survive without standing on its own four hooves. I don’t envy the writers having to satisfy fans of G4 and new fans that are  starting out with G5

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, abrony-mouse said:

Seeing a few people say "politics" - gen 4 was so much bolder than any other generation in terms of getting into political stuff (ie the ponies do not avoid making judgements). If you want apolitical pony, then you'd think the older gens were much more your cup of tea...

If I may be so bold as to speak for the people saying politics would turn them off, what I expect most people mean is that we don't mind our entertainment exploring political themes, but we draw the line when it becomes blatantly partisan and reduces itself to nothing more than propaganda for one political party or the other.

That would certainly be the case for me. Other issues might be if they make the series look like a follow-on from G4 but then completely undo all of the lore that was established in the previous series. I'd like to see some continued world building that deepens the knowledge of Equestria that we already have.

The art style is also pretty important for me, and for that very reason I'm pretty much already out on the 2D series because I can't stand that bland, generic calarts style.  I am looking forward to the 3D series though, I really liked the look of the film and can't wait to see more like that.

• Brohoof 3

Do do do, the main show hasn't even started yet please call me back in several months when it has.

But seriously it's too soon for me to actually give you a definite answer. That and the fact that I'm such an open guy who sees the show like a roller coaster; witnessing the show through all its ups and downs I'd never fully rage quit

• Brohoof 1

I can't specifically pinpoint something that would make me rage quit, because it's really something that depends on context. If anything, I might put the show down if I grow uninterested in it.

• Brohoof 2

Probably the only things I can think of right now that would make me stop watching the show would be too much real-world politics or some crappy (to me) art style. Everything else bad would just probably make me lose interest over time.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

If I may be so bold as to speak for the people saying politics would turn them off, what I expect most people mean is that we don't mind our entertainment exploring political themes, but we draw the line when it becomes blatantly partisan and reduces itself to nothing more than propaganda for one political party or the other.

Indeed.  G4 dealt with some pretty sensitive topics in a decent way.  Zecora's introduction dealt lightly with racism, and the buffalo vs. homesteader ponies episode come to mind.  It's not the addressing topics, it's how they do it.   I thought the G5 movie is going well - they dealt with mob violence, charismatic leaders doing bad things, and deep racial divisions.  It was the movie kids needed after 2020 and '21, because we'd all lived through it.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Indeed.  G4 dealt with some pretty sensitive topics in a decent way.  Zecora's introduction dealt lightly with racism, and the buffalo vs. homesteader ponies episode come to mind.  It's not the addressing topics, it's how they do it.   I thought the G5 movie is going well - they dealt with mob violence, charismatic leaders doing bad things, and deep racial divisions.  It was the movie kids needed after 2020 and '21, because we'd all lived through it.

I thought hasbro was telling us bronies to stop acting like a sprout and making their jobs harder, since we weren't really their target and them trying their hardest to please us, which is a big mistake, cause the fandom is a pirate and barely even supports the product that would actually help the series?

:muffins:

Jokes are half meant and exaggerated truths.:derp:

Edited by Kujamih

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I thought the G5 movie is going well - they dealt with mob violence, charismatic leaders doing bad things, and deep racial divisions.  It was the movie kids needed after 2020 and '21, because we'd all lived through it.

Also, you can, for example, take the "angry mob" song of the movie to be against the extremists of either side, so it's more against extremism in general than against either particular side.

And yeah, despite my fears, the G5 movie was OK in regards to the amount of real-world politics. You cannot really avoid the politics completely (because a lot of things could be taken as political even if the creator had no intention for it), but there is a limit after which the show might as well be set in the "real world" instead of fantasy. In that case, just make the show be set in the "real world" (or an alternate universe) and go with it, no need to pretend it's fantasy.

• Brohoof 2

I am not sure if I will rage-quit, but if it turns out that Spike and the Royal Sisters are dead then I am going to be very frusterated.
Same with it turns out Spike isn't truly remembered.  Like if only the Mane 6 are known.
I mean, he should be truly part of the group now.

On 2022-03-24 at 7:39 AM, Concerned Bystander said:

I know what you mean. Happy to have sparked off a bit of a debate here :) I agree with much of what has been said.

That said, I would put the whole political/partisan thing a different way: forcing through your political view by using devices is poor writing first and partisan politics second. An example of such devices is the straw-colt fear of the Gen 5 earth ponies who are intolerant of other ponies for no genuine reason - if other ponies are genuinely a threat then they may have deserved to be feared at some point, but Gen 5 is equally afraid to contemplate such a fear, so it forces it to be merely invented.  

The reason we are happier with the FiM politics is because we can understand the problem and can respect the solution - eg the idea of pony/buffalo tolerance is definitely partisan from certain political perspectives (ie it is absolutely clear that the audience are meant to side with ethnic tolerance). As it goes, FiM in general is very partisan on ethnic tolerance issues, understandably, but we are happy fans because it generally did it in a way that made sense for the actors involved. Also the songs :3

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-03-23 at 10:29 PM, phantompone1148 said:

Nothing in G4 has made any fan rage quit the show. [...]

I... kinda did in 2017. Then I went back to finish it three years and a half later. The only thing that's MLP related I watched was the 2017 MLP film.

About the topic, I admit I have some concerns, but not because of anything they've done in the G5 so far (I think A new generation was neat), but because of some potential ideas an I don't want them to happen. Obviously there are people who don't want the Mane 6 (or one of them) to come back, but I think they won't. I think they were fine as little toys for Sunny, and this worked because these toys represented how beautiful friendship was, just in the same way that MLP:FiM represented how beautiful the show was in the past. So I don't think they're gonna come back.

My biggest fear, out of all of them, is that Starlight Glimmer would appear or be adressed in a way or another way (either as a character, a toy or something) in Make your Mark. I hope the new writing team isn't afraid of throwing out bad ideas of the past. Considering all the things she has done (this user explained it better than anyone else), I really hope she isn't even mentioned. This is why the only direct references to G4 we've seen were the Mane 6, because they were the real deal.

It's a random thought, but I think there's hope for generation 5 to be unique, fun and inventive without depending on G4 references.

Given what we got with the film...it's unlikely I'm going to keep following new MLP stuff, but it's not going to be a rage quit.  I simply do not have high hopes for the latest generation.  I will give the new stuff a chance to win me over, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.  I'm at a different stage now than I was when I was obsessed with FiM, so that could be part of it too, but yeah, I'm not expecting I'll keep up with MLP stuff too much longer.  With that said, I might stick around on the fringe of the fandom, but I'll have to see.  Who knows, maybe I'll be surprisingly impressed by the new show when it hits, and drawn back in.  I'm just not going in with high hopes as of right now.

The first thing that comes to mind is if G5 became solely human..took the EqG approach and stayed with it throughout.

• Brohoof 1

If they make the show feel "empty" when it comes to story and world building.  I would them to go back into the history a bit more! :Daydreaming: