Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sites blocking people using Adblock

Legit101

For example:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

My reaction:

Posted Image

Unless your content is really good, I'm not don't going to your site anymore. I won't disable my Adblock so I can see ads that automatically play music and video that when I scroll over cover my entire screen.

If enough sites do this shit somebody will find a really easy way to get around it.

With complications come innovation.

What are your thoughts on sites blocking Adblock users?

Edited by Legit101
  • Brohoof 2

Either one of two things, most likely...

1) The website is cognizant of how prevalent AdBlock is and desires to block it for the obvious purposes (ad revenue).

2) It's a malicious website that desires to transfer malware onto your system and doesn't deserve to be trusted.

Edited by Private Pansy
  • Brohoof 2

Totally agreed, 99.9% of advertisements are responsible for slow pages and crashing. I use ABP for Chrome, and I'm glad I have it, cuz on MOCpages, a website, people as young as 10 use, has an ad saying, "Have a Roman Orgy today! Click to play this stupid MMO game to do so!"

Also got on the website without it rebelling against me, don't care.

All though turn adblocker off on Charity websites. ;)

Hosting a (good) website typically isn't free. Content on good websites (typically) is free... with that in mind I can't say I have an issue with sites blocking people that are using Adblock.

Price of admission, and all that.

As a side note... while I will agree that flash ads with autoplaying sound and video are annoying as hell, I honestly can't help but find blocking things like AdSense ads to be a bit asinine.

If a site wants to block me for having no interest in getting viruses from their ads, then I don't need to be on their site no matter how good their content is. The only times I disable my Adblock is when I'm on charity websites.

The ads usually makes the site better (Not in as Better better) but as in it helps funding :)

I agree. I let adds run on websites and youtube to help fund the sites.

• 4 years later...

I like to opt in to advertisements because they support the site, but I'm not OK with ads if they're constantly giving me pop-ups and videos that I have to look through my tabs for to turn off the sound. If a site does that, I won't use it, but I'm perfectly fine with banner ads on the page. Why not give the site a little support by letting some harmless ads show up?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

cuz on MOCpages, a website, people as young as 10 use, has an ad saying, "Have a Roman Orgy today! Click to play this stupid MMO game to do so!"

Hot damn where can I find that stupid game

----

Well that makes me laugh a bit. Nobody likes ads... any site that blocks you for trying to use a website without pop-ups getting in your face won't be missed by me. Until youtube starts doing it or something

Edited by Zyrael

(edited)

Some Sites go as far as telling me to turn off adblock repeatedly or prevent me from using the site unless I do, sure I want them to earn money but I don't want to see the ads.

Edited by Frannis

You have no idea how much I hate advertisements. Like anytime I watch a movie or TV show and I can't continue watching because of Adblock, that's when I put them in their place and decide to discredit website I'm on and find a different one.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I can disable it on certain sites. I can understand supporting them. The only sites I refuse to do it on, however, are sites that allow autoplay, malicious redirect, or otherwise bandwidth-hogging, obtrusive ads.

I proudly disable my adblocker on MLP Forums because I rarely, if ever, see that kind of stuff here. However, I don't do it on DeviantArt because of autoplays, and I think it's complete shit that KissCartoon does it.

The latter is a notorious pirate free streaming site that, for added bonus, blocks out your video with a Minions meme if you're detected using an adblocker, which is wrong in a number of ways. First off, it's piracy and I'd be supporting a technically illegal operation and people who had little to do with the production of the shows they stream. Second, the ads are full of bandwidth hogs and malicious redirects. Third, this anti-piracy ad just writes itself. Pirate streams are generally unreliable and unsafe compared to major streamers like Netflix and Amazon. I only pirate because I'm in dire straits financially. I wouldn't do it if I had the money. And I really can't wait until I have enough disposable income for a Netflix or Amazon Prime account.

Edited by Wind Chaser

As someone who doesn't use Adblock, I can't say that this really effects me in any major way.

However some in the case of some websites with their annoying pop up ads and autoplay ads and what have you, this is really bad.

If I like the content of the site and the ads aren't annoying, I do disable AdBlock when the site politely asks to do so.

What I really don't like is an excessive amount of ads, especially if it is flashy or video ads. Wikia is especially guilty of that, in my eyes, there are too many ads, almost more ads than content depending on the page. I don't visit Wikia without AdBlock, otherwise the ads are too distracting, plus they make the pages to take a lot longer to download.

I disable it only if the sites are not rude enough to give me popups to spam me with viruses. Sites like thewatchseries or whatever else throw ads in your face each click you make. They may plead you to turn them off, but I ignore it. You don't deserve them off if you're going to spam visitors. On-page ads only, and not if it as the cost of loading time. I swear the page takes so long to load exclusively because of ads that aren't even interesting. 

Ironically adblock slows down my browser a lot so I don't use it, but I am not against other people using it at all. The thing is, ads are fine, but so many websites now are deploying ad services that use the most obnoxious tactics for ads. Ads that auto-play, ads that intrude by going full screen or whatever for no reason, it is very obnoxious at times. These can also bog down someone's browser too, so that is another issue. People just need to stop deploying such horrible ads and maybe people won't block them.

I agree,

I hate ads that auto play music and video! or ads that cover the screen and ads the block the main content and have no way to get rid of them.

if they block me because of adblock i no longer visit that site,

• Brohoof 1