Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Being a Brony Changed Your Life? How?

jacibobsthebrony

203 users have voted

1. 1. Has becoming a Brony changed your life?

• Yes
    • No

It gave me another personality that I could adopt (one of more of a clown) and helped a few thought processes.

Plus this place just makes me happy, and everybody is friendly :P

• Brohoof 1

I owe the fandom my life because without the Brony fandom I wouldn't of ever founded the Ponygames Guild and without the support from my other members of the guild I probably would of hung myself in my Sophmore year

• Brohoof 2

I owe the fandom my life because without the Brony fandom I wouldn't of ever founded the Ponygames Guild and without the support from my other members of the guild I probably would of hung myself in my Sophmore year

That's powerful, thank you for sharing this.

For myself I'd never say that it "Changed" my life but it made me realize I had no friends and I lived a life of quiet desperation and almost no friends. I had 1 guy that I could call and do stuff with and He was my cousin. Now thanks to Twilight I have been going out to meet people and I have met many Bronys and Pegasisters at many Cons, local stores, events and even some yugioh players! I say Thank You Twilight Sparkle!

post-28932-0-91065800-1408334406_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Well, I can't say that it changed my life, BUT I can say that I have found a nice, close-knit group of people to be friends with. Honestly, I likely wouldn't have met some fine people here without ever watching the show. :)

• Brohoof 1

Before MLP I was failing school pretty bad because I couldn't really think of a reason to try, I felt pretty empty. But once I got into it I got friends quickly and that motivated me to do better, and I did. Of course with these new friends came new problems; new worries. Things I'm still dealing with now but eh..it's getting better, at least..so far. It's given me a new perspective on enjoying things and when I'm closer to someone I can be a lot less tense around them than before. It led to me learning more in a few months than I'd learned in all my years of school combined. It was an incredible experience and I've taken a lot from it. The good and the bad. I feel a lot more complete and I feel the desire to learn more, to be more. 

• Brohoof 1

The show lets me have back a piece of me that I've had to tuck away from everyone including myself. It's not always often that I get it back, but just enough so that I don't lose it. It hasn't helped me much with friends because I don't really go anywhere or do anything, but that's because (prepare for situational irony) I don't have any friends to do anything with. I really don't mind, but it would be nice. It also seems that I can't make friends because I don't have friends. Not going into too much detail about that. All that aside, life's okay for me. The people here give me something to do and people to talk to, and I enjoy having you here.

• Brohoof 1

The fandom change me for the better. Before I was part of the Brony fandom, I basically stayed to myself and the fact that I just wanted to watch the world burn didn't help. Right after I became a Brony, I basically opened up to people and became friendly towards others. 

• Brohoof 1

This fandom has changed my entire life. A little more than two years ago, when I first joined the forums, I thought the fandom was just a group of people who had similar likes and were able to make good art. They were like all the other fandoms like Phineas and Ferb, and other TV shows in that regard. There were lots of fans, but they for me weren't people I'd talk with much. When I joined the forums, I thought that I was going to just make a few posts about ponies and life in general and eventually leave the forums someday without having made much of an impact at all and vice versa. I was fresh off being addicted to an F2P MMORPG, so I knew I didn't want to be too attached to a forum at the time.

But boy was I wrong. I encountered people of all kinds on the forums, people who were open to talking about themselves and people who trusted each other and build each other together. Even though I didn't experience that until the 2nd year I was on the forums, it was certainly one of those moments where it's better to be late than never. I went through so much transformation even since I underwent a renaissance after coming back from a forum hiatus. There were three things in particular that the fandom taught me: organization and openess, writing skills, and love. 

First, there was the World Cup that took place two months ago. The fandom taught me organization skills as I prepared a tournament for the entire forums to enjoy. I had to organize the event with countless other people to make sure the World Cup ran smoothly and efficiently for everyone else to enjoy. There was artwork of all kinds, music of all kinds, and voters of all kinds who came together to vote for their favourite pony. During the event, I witnessed people who loved so many ponies and just how many fans there were on the forum. It encouraged me to be more open towards people who were different from me, and it taught me to appreciate the unity we had on the forums despite how diverse we were as a community.

Then there was roleplaying in general. If it weren't for the fandom, I would never have been introduced to roleplaying. I would have missed out on a world where I could use my imagination and express my ideas through writing. It's been very useful for me since effective communication nowadays requires typing/writing your messages, and that is much harder than saying your ideas. It also let me create characters who I could play with and have control over, a wonderful feeling to have when you need a break over the things you can't control. Doesn't mean you can abuse your OCs though!

Now this last point ties in really well with my second point since it involves love and friendships. In actuality, my closest friends were the people I roleplayed with. I actually have two people in particular who are very close to my heart (You know who you are if you're reading this! :P ), and for both of them, our friendships grew through roleplaying. We collaborated on ideas and played them out, and we laughed and cried over all the moments they experienced. Those feelings eventually transferred to our lives, and I managed to learn a lot of lessons about love from the people I've asked advice for. When I was in a rut about my failed attempts to get a girlfriend earlier this year, the fandom was there to cheer me up with the rest of my friends. In fact, I can argue that it's my forum friends who have picked me up a lot more than the friends I've met face to face. I just wanted to add as well that I met my closest online friend here, and that I'm excited about keeping in touch for the long haul!

So in short, The fandom's completely transformed my life for the better. I will certainly miss the place once I come here less often when graduate school starts in two weeks. Nevertheless, it's not like I'm leaing anytime soon, so that's not an issue is it? :P

Edited by Sterling Crimson
  • Brohoof 1

I became less of a stuck up weaboo hater jerk holier than thou white knight of the internet... honestly I was so bad I would make accounts on websites just to yell at people once and then never go there again. Heck the first time I saw a brony I was like I will smite you for defiling my anime convention!

edit: It also reignited my hope for western cartoons. After I got into anime and before mlp I wouldn't think twice about a show if it wasn't blessed by the holy hands of the asians.

Edited by Ami Mizuno
  • Brohoof 1

The fandom made me feel happy, it lead me to having some of the greatest friends anyone could ask for.

I couldnt agree more.........this fandom has made me happy and gain more friends than before b/c back in school, there were a lot of cliques that was just bad and thus bullying. Here, its much friendlier.

• Brohoof 2

A couple of things.

It instilled a sense of bitterness in me, for starters. Ultimately just my own personal problems,but initially upon joining this fandom I felt a lot of hatred towards it - and I've never been an anti-brony. I was excited for it, but then I get to the core and I was just an outcast. Hated that. It's caused me to grow a bit bitter and I don't quite have the sense of humor I used to have and I'm a bit high-strung because of all this shit I initially had to put up with because of who my best pony was. I talk to others about it and I'm told that most Rarity fans seem to have an "us against the world" mindset...but I wonder why that would be  :wau: 

Later on, though, I made many new friends that I love talking to every day. I'm slowly learning to not be so defensive and angry, but I'm not quite there yet. I love logging onto Skype every day to chat with them or playing games on Steam with them or having a Breakfast Club like gathering with the Rarity Fan Club :D I also really am just joyed at all the Rarity love on this site. It hurts me, sort of. I don't like it when people mindlessly hate the thing I love most in the world, because I ain't got much else, and that brings out the viper in me and I go from being friendly to being venomous. I'm slowly abandoning that side of who I am as a member of this fandom, though, so that's a start :please:

Ultimately, though, I've just made new friends that I cherish, even if my introduction to the fandom was a trial by fire :D The show is what ultimately made a huge impact in my life, though, but I went into that in a different thread :pout:

• Brohoof 1

I really don't think the show or the fandom has changed my life. I suppose the main reason for this is because my life is more changed by Christ rather than by talking ponies.

I love pony a lot. But my life does not surround it. I make fanart, music, and stories inspired by the show, but my life is not owned by the show. It has no power to truly change my life for the better. not even with it's moralistic approach to life would my life be made better: my soul longs for something more.

Don't get me wrong. I love the show. But to me, it's just a show. It has fictional worlds, characters, and scenarios that entertain me as a person. There is much artistic inspiration that can be drawn from it and I have even made my own stories from out of the universe of the show. But in the end, I live for something more. My life is devoted to a love even greater and that has changed my life much, much more.

• Brohoof 1

I really don't think the show or the fandom has changed my life. I suppose the main reason for this is because my life is more changed by Christ rather than by talking ponies.

I love pony a lot. But my life does not surround it. I make fanart, music, and stories inspired by the show, but my life is not owned by the show. It has no power to truly change my life for the better. not even with it's moralistic approach to life would my life be made better: my soul longs for something more.

Don't get me wrong. I love the show. But to me, it's just a show. It has fictional worlds, characters, and scenarios that entertain me as a person. There is much artistic inspiration that can be drawn from it and I have even made my own stories from out of the universe of the show. But in the end, I live for something more. My life is devoted to a love even greater and that has changed my life much, much more.

I think like that to so agree

I would say that becoming a brony has had two big effects on my life.

The first is that it's really boosted my self confidence. I used to be very concerned with what other people thought of me and I felt like  didn't fit in anywhere. Now I couldn't care less. I've decided that I'm going to do what I want and be what I want and nobody else is going to tell me otherwise.

The other effect is that it's really brought me out of my shell. I am very shy so it is difficult for me to connect with people and make new friends. I have been working on improving this for a while but it was very slow progress. Earlier this month I went to a meetup with other bronies and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. I felt much more relaxed than usual and like I could just be myself for once.

I'm definitely glad that I joined this fandom :)

• Brohoof 1