Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Classic/retro gamer, modern gamer, or both?

SUPERFOX5

Classic/retro gamer, modern gamer, or both?  

71 users have voted

1. 1. Are you a classic/retro gamer, a modern gamer, or a bit of both?

• Retro gamer (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, anything 80's, 90's and a bit of mid 2000)
    • Modern gamer (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii)
    • Both (I like video games period)

I base how much I like games on how fun they are and not on how old they are. I grew up on the N64 and PSX, but I don't get a nostalgia boner from playing old games. Games like Super Mario 64 or the Final Fantasy series hold up, but games like Doom or Daggerfall do not. They are shit by modern standards.

If you say that modern games are just repetitive and uncreative then you are ignorant. Games like Civ 5, XCOM, Dark Souls, Bioshock, Skyrim, or basically anything by Nintendo are all innovative.

I like all games, not a huge 8 bit fan, to be honest when I see 8 bit now I think off hipster instead of retro games. I like 16 bit games like ff6 and zelda. But then we get to 3d games and im sold on any of them, my personal fav 3d game is Majoras Mask and the one after that is skyward sword.... I like zelda games! Don't think games should be judged on their age though so I like games of all ages! :)

I never really got into retro games until I got myself some NES games on the Wii like Ninja Gaiden, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Kid Icarus. Even though my first console was a Sega Genesis (Mega drive for non North America People), I still felt like I missed out on the majority what are considered retro games. Though I'm afraid the definition of classic/retro is very biased these days.

Both! If a game is fun, its fun! No matter when it was released. I mean I dug out a N64 and played the original super smash bros and had a blast, while later going to play BF3 on a high end PC and enjoyed that too. 

• Brohoof 1

I guess I should go with modern games because that's what I tend to prefer to play. When I go back and play some of the games from my childhood, they're never quite as good as I remember them. Honestly, I get tired of them much quicker than modern games despite the nostalgia rush. Retro games just aren't as enjoyable to me as modern games are.

I'm a fan of both really, I'm not that kind of person who's so filled with nostalgia that I hate everything modern xD I love both old and modern. Admittedly though, it sucks to see modern games nowadays have less creativity due to most companies wanting to play it safe with franchises like Call of Duty

Still, I love games today and back then like A Link to the Past

nfdzh.png

I'd say both. I enjoy some modern games, then I enjoy some retro games. Really, I can't say which era I prefer, although I kinda lean towards retro as back then, games didn't hold your hand the entire way and in a way felt more rewarding figuring out things on your own than the game telling you where exactly you need to go or throwing a long, narrow hallway with some enemies here and there to try hindering your progress. Achievements, to me, will never... well, achieve that same level of rewarding-ness. Also, less cash-in first-person shooters back then. I'm looking at you, Activision and EA...

That being said, Team Fortress 2 is one of my favorite games (duh), Super Meat Boy and Dark Souls are steps in the right direction for difficulty in video games and there are some really great modern, indie-developed titles such as Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and, as I said, Super Meat Boy.

Edited by Daring

Both, without question! I love a good modern game, because it's basically the same as watching a good movie or reading a good book. Modern games are always interesting because brand new innovative ideas and game types are being churned out every year, but you can't go wrong with classics, either. Modern games had to begin somewhere, and retro games are still just as much fun as when they were new. 

I might be excited for games like Watch Dogs and Dead Space, but that doesn't mean I won't consistently break out the Pac-Man or Space Invaders. 

Both I play new games but my favorite game is still shinig force resurrection of the dark dragon, no game can mach it at least not yet. I still remember the unboxing at age of 6 and the fun I had while playing it. Modern games are still nice ( most of them) like battlefield 3 and far cry 3 and countless more. Older games does usually have better quality for the time, (Innovation higher and more creative)

love the music in old games too. Old is gold or whatever they say.

I lived through almost all the game system(no intelivision i aint that old) si most the retro games people speak of i played so yeah definity both

I will literally play anything at least once. Old, new, difficult or easy it's all the same. Of course, I have preferences on some levels (can't stand most older RPGs because of their incessant need to make me grind, for example.) but in the end every game is my domain.

I have a painfully small collection which is comprised more of newer games than anything though. Most of my older games are on PC (very few there so far) and remakes and collections such as the Ultimate Genesis Collection that has over 40+ games on it from the Sega Genesis.

I don't know! I don't like Atari and am not in love with the NES. I like the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance okay. I love the N64, Gameboy, DS and 3ds. I don't like the Wii, Wii U, Xbox. I have a PS2 and the only game I have on it that I like is Sly Cooper so I'm not sure.

I have a mix, I like the middle game systems the best!

Whoooooa there, slugger. Back up for a minute. Mid 2000s games are in no way, shape, or form retro. Hell, the N64 is debatable as to which category it's in.

I'm a hardcore classic gamer. I can sequence-break the hell out of Super Metroid, I own a custom-made copy of Earthbound Zero, and I can beat Super Mario Bros. 3 without losing a single life(no warp whistles involved, either).

• 1 year later...

Well sometimes I play modern games sometimes retro game. I play mostly Nintendo modern games and I always have fun with them. But sometimes I like to take a break and go back to the basics. I still think retro games can still be relevant, I mean I feel a lot of SNES games in particular have aged really well. Any game can be great regardless of the age.

(edited)

Well, I don't really consider myself a 'gamer'. And I'm actually not sure I can really answer this question.

I can't really be considered to prefer 'retro', since SNES and before games are honestly rarely appealing to me, and it was only N64 and beyond that I really loved games. At the same time, about 2004, I went back to playing games very casually.

There have been many quality titles in recent years, even in series of which I loved (Animal Crossing New Leaf is the best Animal Crossing game, no contest, and Pokemon Gens IV - VI are all excellent) it's just that I'm sure if I could look at my playtime for the original Animal Crossing and the first two generations of Pokemon, those hours would blow any game from 2005 and beyond's playtime out of the water for me.

I enjoy today's games... Just for much shorter times. But retro games can not hold my attention.

So I sit somewhere awkwardly between. Very awkwardly. xD

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Depends on whether it's console or PC gaming.

For consoles, I'm more of a retro gamer. My favorite consoles of all time are the Super NES and Sega Genesis and most of the consoles on my Top 10 list are from the early 2000's or earlier, and I'm not really a fan of the PS4 and Xbox One for reasons that'll probably take me forever to list here.

For PC gaming, like most PC gamers, I'm more of a modern gamer, as most of the PC games I play and like are from the mid-2000's or above.

So, I'm just going to select both :P

Edited by Skarloey

Ooh!! My kinda threaddddd~ 

I'd say I'm more of a retro gamer than modern, I've definitely gotten use out of my SNES and Atari 2600, those are my two favorite retro consoles in my collection. However I do Enjoy playing a bit of Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, so I dabble in both I guess!! :yay:    

I am a modern and retro gamer, I love Call of Duty, but I also love Tetris and Pac Man, my all time favourite games, I still have my Super Nintendo and no matter how old it is, SNES is still playable, and enjoyable today as it was in 1991. PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 are my current consoles, and with an impressive library I always have something to play, plus I love the challenge of transitioning from modern games to retro one, remembering the controls and moves, the levels and tricks of the game, for me games I can play no matter what age, will always be played decades from now, the endurance of games is astounding.

I only got into retro games because of a modern game, and I enjoy many games regardless of when they're from. A few months before Smash Bros 4 came out and there was hype, I decided to try out Earthbound, because I had never played it and I liked Ness. I played it, and of course I absolutely loved it! Now I have played a lot of NES and SNES games, and a couple N64 games as well. Earthbound (and Mother 3), the Mega Man series, Super Mario Bros, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, adn F-Zero X are all really good games!