Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overrated/Underrated Characters?

TwiForLife

(edited)

Overrated: Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. Maybe a few backgrounds.

Underrated: Granny Smith (I REALLY want more Granny Smith), Rarity (she's only had a few Rarity based epis) and AJ (who's had lots of epis but is totally unloved D:). I'd also like more Fancy Pants, Hoity Toity, Cheerilee, and Photo Finish.

But def Rarity. She doesn't get enough lovin' and she's one of the most developed and complex characters. AJ just needs more love XD

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 3

Well of course Overrated would HAVE to be TRIXIE! loljk

In all seriousness I like Trixie and I find some people's zealous obsession with her awesome!

You go Trixie fans! Twilight might have showed Trixie up with the Ursa Minor, but she'll never have Trixie's showmanship! :D

So overrated? Pinkie Pie! Strange I love Pinkie Pie, but lately in season 2 she seems to be less funny and more annoying. But still Pinkie gets all my love anyway. Plus she does have the best Pony song! :)

Underrated? Tootsie Flute Applejack. Strange how being one of the Mane 6 but still gets less fandom attention than some BG Ponies like Vinyl Scratch and Derpy.Even if admittedly she is my least favorite of the Mane 6, she still deserves more love.

I'd also add Sweetie Belle needs more love, but I may be getting a bit biased.

Visually; Vinyl is one of my favorites, however she is outrageously overrated. She is in the frame for MAYBE 5 seconds the entire show, and everypony is going about her as if she is a legitiment background character. Fan art, I see nothing wrong with because she is visually appealing. Never the less, I would love to see more of her! xP

Next up, my underrated, Discord. Ahhh Discord, I could talk about just how underrated this character is for hours, but ill keep it short and sweet. First of all, seeing another Discord episode would make my alter ego pony life complete! The 2 part episode was nothing short of fantastic filled with plot twists, and just plain greatness. The overall plot, riddles, tricks etc. make the episode give off a feeling I have yet to comprehend. I would not expect an episode like this from a show like My Little Pony! x3

In conclusion,

Underrated: Discord

Overrated: Vinyl Scratch

• Brohoof 1

Visually; Vinyl is one of my favorites, however she is outrageously overrated. She is in the frame for MAYBE 5 seconds the entire show, and everypony is going about her as if she is a legitiment background character. Fan art, I see nothing wrong with because she is visually appealing. Never the less, I would love to see more of her! xP

Next up, my underrated, Discord. Ahhh Discord, I could talk about just how underrated this character is for hours, but ill keep it short and sweet. First of all, seeing another Discord episode would make my alter ego pony life complete! The 2 part episode was nothing short of fantastic filled with plot twists, and just plain greatness. The overall plot, riddles, tricks etc. make the episode give off a feeling I have yet to comprehend. I would not expect an episode like this from a show like My Little Pony! x3

In conclusion,

Underrated: Discord

Overrated: Vinyl Scratch

I really want another Discord epi too!
  • Brohoof 1

I agree that some of the characters are very overrated, especially background ponies like Trixie and Vinyl Scratch; however, part of it is like what Doctor XFizzle said: although they didn't appear much in the show, the fandom has turned them into something great.

I think that both Applejack and Twilight Sparkle are under-appreciated characters. Nobody ever says that Twilight or Applejack are their favs.

I also have to wonder what exactly fanfiction writers have against Rainbow Dash; "Cupcakes," "Rainbow Factory," "Rocket to Insanity," etc.

Overrated: Rainbow Dash. I dunno, I just really can't connect with her personality.

Underrated: I'm tempted to say Pinkie Pie, but overall I don't think that there are any underrated ponies. ;)

Overrated:

Fluttershy. I like her, but gets alot of attention mostly due to being shy.

Celestia. The whole Trollestia thing is plastered everywhere, and is mostly what makes her popular.

Trixie. I just dont know why she is popular.

Underrated:

Applejack. I don't hear alot of reception from her for being one of the Mane 6.

Spike. Spike is a really good character, but like AJ, not alot of attention for him.

• Brohoof 1

Overrated:

Fluttershy. I like her, but gets alot of attention mostly due to being shy.

I wouldn't say that makes her overrated, as shyness is something people can relate to.

If anything, Fluttershy is only overrated by the fans who like her just because she's cute.

Over-rated- Fluttershy. How many times can they make her cry before her crazy fans realize that the developers are over-exaggerating her faults. but i still luv her

Under-rated- Rarity. Rarity can be HILARIOUS in the right moments, such as with the Diamond Dogs. She is definitely under rated

Well of course Overrated would HAVE to be TRIXIE! loljk

In all seriousness I like Trixie and I find some people's zealous obsession with her awesome!

You go Trixie fans! Twilight might have showed Trixie up with the Ursa Minor, but she'll never

have Trixie's showmanship! :D

And Trixie's horn is noticeably larger than Twilight's :P
  • Brohoof 1

Under-rated - Applejack. I mean, I don't even know why, she's such a cutie. Is it because she's Southern :huh: ? I dunno.... :(

Over-rated - Fluttershy. And this upsets me even more. I can see why people like her so much, and I respect that, but come on! She's afraid of almost everything and is a wimp at a lot of stuff. The only time I really like her is when she is yelling :angry: , one way or another, and YOU know how rare that is http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png. I also don't like the fact that she reminds me the most of a G3 pony. I guess that's why I dislike her -_-

• Brohoof 1

I don't really see how Fluttershy can be overrated when she's the most likely to be listed as "overrated" in these types of threads, something this exact thread is showing...

Over-rated- Fluttershy. How many times can they make her cry before her crazy fans realize that the developers are over-exaggerating her faults. but i still luv her

Fluttershy has faults?

Over-rated - Fluttershy. And this upsets me even more. I can see why people like her so much, and I respect that, but come on! She's afraid of almost everything and is a wimp at a lot of stuff. The only time I really like her is when she is yelling :angry: , one way or another, and YOU know how rare that is http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png. I also don't like the fact that she reminds me the most of a G3 pony. I guess that's why I dislike her -_-

I don't know about anypony else, but I don't think being timid is a good reason to not like a character...just because she's not as brave as someone like Rainbow Dash doesn't mean she's overrated.

Actually, i'd say she's brave to an extent...she did stand up for her friends in Dragonshy, and overcame her fear of being humiliated in Hurricane Fluttershy...

• Brohoof 1

I don't really see how Fluttershy can be overrated when she's the most likely to be listed as "overrated" in these types of threads, something this exact thread is showing... Fluttershy has faults? I don't know about anypony else, but I don't think being timid is a good reason to not like a character...just because she's not as brave as someone like Rainbow Dash doesn't mean she's overrated. Actually, i'd say she's brave to an extent...she did stand up for her friends in Dragonshy, and overcame her fear of being humiliated in Hurricane Fluttershy...

I said almost, not everytime. I knew about her standing up to that dragon in "Dragonshy" and that manticore in the first episode, but I still stand by my point that I don't really like her in the long run. I don't hate her (Here occasional cuteness saves her from that), yet I can't really like http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

(edited)

Overrated:

Trixie: Why is she liked so much? She is a boaster, a jerk and a liar!

Fluttershy: I don't see the appeal. Ohhhh suuuure shes cute but I really don't see the appeal.

Mediumrated:

Pinkie Pie: She has a rather large fanbase but she isn't overrated.

Rainbow Dash: As a Rainbow Dash fan I will say that there is a nicely large fanbase like Pinkie but I wouldn't call her overrated.

Celestia: Again, She has a nicely large fanbase but she isn't overrated.

Underrated:

Applejack: She needs more love!!!!!!

Twilight Sparkle: She needs more love!!!

Rarity: She IS underrated but I still hate how she joined the flying contest when it was RAINBOW DASH who wanted to join and win and impress the wonderbolts! What a dick move!

Spike: I seriously don't see why this dragon has such a small fanbase!

Edited by SuperX46
  • Brohoof 2

This is a recurring thing I just noticed.

Overrated is almost always Fluttershy, underrated almost always has Applejack in it. Its nice to see sympathy for mah girl and less for mah least fav. Sorry Flutts, but I just do not like your type :mellow:

I might get a ton of crap for this, but I totally agree with anyone else who thinks Trixie is overrated.

She's kind of.....the villain.....and only appeared in one episode, where it was revealed that she's actually just a dud. WHY does a dud have such a large fanbase? Luna and Twilight could do much better than her, and Twilight (although I'm certainly not a Twilight fan) should have a larger fanbase than Trixie. Luna is probably slightly overrated, but she's not as big of a deal as people make Trixie out to be...

Then again, I'm a staunch Fluttershy fan, and I admit she's unbelievably overrated, so go ahead and take my words with a grain of salt....

• Brohoof 2

Overrated: Trixie. *ducks from inevitable tomato throwing* While she does need more air time (as do all one-time characters, like Flim, Flam, and Discord), I'm not sure she deserves to be a central character. Maybe more like a personal nemesis to Twilight as Flim and Flam were to AJ.

Underrated: Zecora. We need more Zecora as Consuela needs more lemon Pledge. [/familyguyreference]

• Brohoof 2

From the mane 6:

Overrated - Fluttershy

Underrated - AppleJack

Just from who gets the most attention and who gets the least. I think the terms overrated/underrated aren't the best to use. There's a reason Fluttershy is the most popular with the fanbase and also why AppleJack is least popular IMO. Doesn't mean they are deserving of anything different. Although ideally they'd all have strong fan followings I guess.

Overrated: Trixie.. Maybe more like a personal nemesis to Twilight

Like Blue is a nemesis to Red?

Red - MUCH better Pokemon Trainer then Blue.

Blue - Much worse then Red at Pokemon training Yet still insists that he is the best Pokemon trainer.

Sound familar?

• Brohoof 2

Overrated: Trixie. I don't quite understand why she has been so popularized aside from her obnoxious attitude.

Underrated: Rarity. I get the impression there are fans who see her as little more than an obnoxious snob. She has terrific one-liners ("Et tu, Gabby Gums?") and some of the best pony-centric episodes in the series ("A Dog and Pony Show", "Sisterhooves Social").

• Brohoof 1

Underrated: Rarity. It always seems that her good deeds are overshadowed by that of the other ponies'. For example: her construction of the gala dresses. Those were absolutely beautiful and yet this feat isn't recognized too much for anyone's liking. Also, she has wonderful lines that are often times very humorous... not to mention the fact that Tabitha St. Germain manages to convey these lines into Rarity's character masterfully!

Overrated: DJ Pon3, albeit only slightly. I understand that while she's only been shown for about 3 seconds throughout the entire show, (and because of this, she apparently needs more love), it's now getting to the point where all this attention upon her greatly affects the perception and popularity of the other ponies. The same goes for Octavia even though she is my favorite "other pony".

• 4 weeks later...