Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Inaccuracy of the MLP toys

Dr. Frasier Crane

Yeah, that's true, I mean, there have been some pretty amazing custom ponies on the internet, particularly on the older generation toys. But still, with people who may not have the talent to customize them professionally, such as the younger fans, they are going to have to pay loads more for someone to do it for them.

I know it can be hard to want to fork out a lot of money for some of the customs (and I totally agree that some artists over charge) but just remember that by buying their art is helping them put food on their table instead of feeding some greedy higher up CEO.

• Brohoof 1

the people who decide stuff like what color the toys are and how the hair should be probably dont even know what the mane 6 look like in their own show. some of the toys are so bad its like someone described a pony over the phone and that was that. Its all about spending as little money as possible to make as much profit as possible.

That's basically it. Sadly as long as there's a huge wad of pretty neon coloured hair attached to a colourful plastic pony for them to comb then little girls want it and hasbro profits from it. Edited by ShikariLukari
  • Brohoof 1

I just want to say that is the most terrifying toy ever. "You're beautiful!" "Let's fly to the castle" are her more common catch phrases. It doesn't even sound remotely like her.

I could go on all day about how crap that toy is......... so I will. Thinks that are wrong her hair is the wrong style length and color, her wings are the wrong shape and color, her body is the wrong color. her jewelry (her crown and stuff) is the wrong color and and has the wrong details, her cutie mark is the wrong color and not in the right place, her horn isnt long enough.

now the list of things they got right her eye color and the spelling of her name...... thats it wow.

this toy seems to get worse every time I look at that picture but my biggest problem with it is the fact shes pink but in the show and even on the box this toy comes in shes white. whos bucking idea was it to make her pink idiots :(

Hang on- found the advert for that Princess Celestia figure- Wow, just wow. No wonder people dislike bronies if this is all they've seen. :/

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZsKLjU4tg

lmfao "she comes as shown" Im guessing that is a warning so you wont be disappointed when you get it out the box and you are met by that pile of recycled industrial waste.

Posted Image

Celestia is not pink, as said above. Posted Image

Even further, on this one, Luna has the figure of a normal sized pony. She is actually larger and has bigger wings. Her mane colours are wrong, they're either light blue (s1) or dark blues (s2). Luna's crown is wrong. She has a dark blue/black crown behind her horn, and finally, on the toy, Luna has no shoes. Posted Image

What the hell is this? Wrong coat colour, wrong hairstyle and very wrong hair colour. I agree that the fanmade merchandise is 10x better.

Posted ImageThis is amazing. They even make background characters, OCs and characters from previous generations with great accuracy.

• Brohoof 1

A lot of the time, it's because of miscommunication between the show department, and the toy department, hence why Celestia was pink, not white. I personally wouldn't bother that much about this sort of thing, as it really doesn't bother me, and I don't purchase the toys anyway.

The inaccuracy is REALLY bothering me, but I don't buy MLP toys. Nonetheless, I try to rethink my little obsession when I see them, because regular people think we are PLAYING with those toys or worship them.

• Brohoof 1

The inaccuracy is REALLY bothering me, but I don't buy MLP toys. Nonetheless, I try to rethink my little obsession when I see them, because regular people think we are PLAYING with those toys or worship them.

Yeah, that's what anti-bronies suspect the older fanbase does sadly. :/ Hopefully Hasbro will consider updating their original style for the pony toys, because let's face it, as soon as Friendship is magic came around the whole My little pony style was broken forever.

Apparently the idea of making Celestia pink was a business decision, based on the retailers idea that pink would sell better than white ("Make her white and I'll order 5, but make her pink an I'll order 50!" kind of thing, you know).

Frankly, the way I look at it, the toys weren't meant for us in the first place.

Third party merchandise is usually better than official when it comes to toys and collectibles. I don't know why, it's just a pattern I've noticed, being a collector.

Agreed. I don't think hasbro are aware of our side of the fandom to be honest, but then again, all they see in My little pony the show is still just a 20 minute long advertisement for their products. Shame, really.

The problem is the Hasbro toys are made by different people than the show which isn't DIRECTLY produced by Hasbro. So there's that.

wait... we're not suppose to play with them? maybe its for the best then since last time i played with mine, Rainbow Dash and Rarity got in a huge fight and now they wont stand on the same shelf anymore. guess i could always play with the Hot Wheels instead. im going drifting!

• Brohoof 1

I'm with you on the plushie thing, man. The only problem is they have a tendency to be really expensive, which I can understand since a lot of time was put into making them, but still.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the toys Hasbro sells "based" on the show either.

I have some of the toys, and it is not a huge deal to me that some things are off, but they could at least make Celestia the right color, or Dashs mane color correct. Maybe even give them a slightly more accurate hair cut? At least the Hasbro made plushies are slowly (maybe) getting better...

• 2 years later...

I just searched Amazon to see if any new giant brushables were out.  Get a load of this.

post-26336-0-02353500-1433167585_thumb.jpg

The f*ck is this?  The f*ck am I lookin at right now?  Did I miss some episode where Rainbow and Twilight did a Vegeta/Goku fusion?

I'm sorry, I just can't get over this.  It's not like we ever see a Superman action figure with blonde hair labeled "Thor", so how does sh*t like this even happen?

I don't buy the brushables. They don't appeal to me at all. I think I bought a Sunset Shimmer one once, but then I have her away later because I didn't like how she looked.

Ya the deal with the manes and tails is sucky. They just don't convey the real characters. But then, the manufacturers are also following some semblance of the original pony figures, plus, what are they gonna do, redesign the whole thing and redo the simple hair plugs and make them harder to make? No they will sell as they are, whether they are true to the cartoon or not.  Cuz four year olds probably don't care. 

Why can't they just redo their Pony bases?

It's not that hard to do; just go up to a good 3D artist and say, "Can we hire you to give us a few show-accurate bases we can copy for mass production?"

It's not like Hasbro's anywhere near being strapped for cash or anything.

Ya the deal with the manes and tails is sucky. They just don't convey the real characters. But then, the manufacturers are also following some semblance of the original pony figures, plus, what are they gonna do, redesign the whole thing and redo the simple hair plugs and make them harder to make? No they will sell as they are, whether they are true to the cartoon or not.  Cuz four year olds probably don't care. 

That, and I think they'd prefer the brushable hair. It's a selling point, since the kids will be brushing and messing around with the hair (and eventually learning that it doesn't grow back when it's cut). Think about it, how many dolls have molded hair?

Speaking of which, I think the brushable manes are more costly and difficult to make, since some of the cheapest toys have molded manes, but brushable tails.

I'll also say, styled brushable hair looks way better than molded, it just takes a little effort, is all.

I'll agree with anything brushable or covered in cutie marks, but items like funko vinyls (Not POP!) blind bags, blind boxes, and at the very least the beanie babies (which I will admit half of them don't look right at all) but all it takes is a little sorting through the bad ones to find a good one. As for styling the manes, the few that I did get actually looked show accurate without any tending, all I needed was to add a hat and some red ribbon to applejack and she looked fantastic!