Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Right now I'm finishing up reading The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff. It's based off the first person to undergo a sex change, Lili Elbe, and the woman she married before her reassignment.

It's really well written and good and aaaah it was the perfect book to get me back into reading ;v;

Right now I'm finishing up reading The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff. It's based off the first person to undergo a sex change, Lili Elbe, and the woman she married before her reassignment.

It's really well written and good and aaaah it was the perfect book to get me back into reading ;v;

You had me at hello. This sounds pretty great, I'ma goodreads it now.

Why yes I did just verb that noun.

(edited)

Trying to motivate myself to read Iskender (Turkish for Alexander), a book by this woman.

It's not that the subject is uninteresting, far from that. But I could never bring myself to read modern-day life stories, I'm too addicted to Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Edited by Feather Spiral

Fiiiinally got started on Inheritance. Started out in the middle of a battle. I accidentally spoiled something later though when I was flipping through the pages.

I learned that Roran dies. :(

Currently, I am finishing 'How to Think About the Great Ideas' by Mortimer J. Adler. If you are interested in philosophy and the debates that center around such topics as ethics and morals, truth and opinion, justice and punishment, or even how to read a book or what is considered art, you will not be disappointed. Even if you do not care for philosophy, this is still an enlightening read. Honestly, I think you could give this book to anyone and they could find at least one topic that they would be at least mildly interested in.

Now my problem is what to read next from my bookshelf.

(edited)

Le Syndrome du Titanic 2, by the French author/spokesman/journalist Nicolas Hulot. I think the title is clear enough that I don't need to translate it.

It's about how the Western culture (especially capitalism) has been degrading both the environment and people (namely the poor). Not to mention feeding its richer citizens with illusions of infinite potential, through abuse of finite resources such as drinkable water and fertile soil.

It's very well illustrated with examples from modern (at least recent) news, as well as places and contexts investigated by their own team of journalists.

Edited by Feather Spiral

• 4 weeks later...

Short stories by Edgar Allan Poe. c:

My copy of The God Delusion arrived today.

That reminded me of The Case For God. I forgot whom it was from, I have to find it and read it.

It's about how modern day fanatics and extremists (including rationalists) misinterpret religious texts. It pretty much says the same thing I keep hammering; that none of those sacred texts was meant to be taken literally, that the people who followed those teachings were having experiences very different from what we think they were.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

Short stories by Edgar Allan Poe. c:

That reminded me of The Case For God. I forgot whom it was from, I have to find it and read it.

It's about how modern day fanatics and extremists (including rationalists) misinterpret religious texts. It pretty much says the same thing I keep hammering; that none of those sacred texts was meant to be taken literally, that the people who followed those teachings were having very different experiences.

That sounds awesome.

:o

Edited by Rochambo

• 2 weeks later...

Found the book, author is Karen Armstrong. I should probably make a discussion thread on religion, using quotes from it to support and illustrate my points (my own thoughts, which I already had LONG BEFORE buying the book).

Until now, I've been reading Star Trek: Uhura's Song (French translation) for a day, and now I'm halfway through. It's interesting too, of course; ST authors always make a point of putting diversity among a given race.

The books I am currently reading right now is Edith Hamilton mythology I am obsess about mythology I am currently studying about it as well i'm mostly interested in learning about Greek mythology and Norse mythology and Egyptian mythology. Also I am reading Edgar Allan Poe. ( The Raven ).

• 1 month later...

Books, books, books.... Gotta love them! My personal favorites are Harry Potters. And The Bartimaeus trilogy.. :3

I feel kinda sad that reading isn't that "in" anymore... Less and less people read. Like in free time~