Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Doubt anyone has really heard much about it, but the Tunnels series, by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams. They are the best books I have read. I'm quite sad that it has all come to an end now. 

The books are about Will Burrows, who finds an underground civilization under England. They are threatened by an evil organization who live down there to, called the Styx. After Will's father goes missing, he decides to try and find him.

The books take you on a roller coaster of a journey. Interesting, amazing characters. Great settings, and brilliant descriptions.

There were 6 books in total: Tunnels, Deeper, Freefall, Closer, Spiral and finally, Terminal.

There are rumours of a possible film coming out in the near future. If that's true, I hope it doesn't ruin the series.

Edited by Raritas

I do not have a single favorite book. If I were to choose a favorite series, it would definitely be "The Horus Heresy" series. It's a great historical telling of the Space Marine legions in the Warhammer 40K universe. Several of the novels have reached the New York Times Best Seller list. I've finished 6 novels so far.

Edited by Sleipnir Rising

Its kinda hard for me to pick,but here it goes.If comic books count I would have to say V for Vendetta.Also I very much enjoy the works of Fredric Nietzsche more specifically the book he wrote called Twilight of the Idols.It was his last goof book before writing ,the Anti-Christ which when he was writing that book.He slipped into madness.Also Stephen King's book all dark no stars is a great compilation of short stories.  

Hmm. Picking a favorite book would be difficult. The Maze Runner series and the Hunger Games series were two amazing series, but I'd pick a John Grisham novel for a favorite, picking Runaway Jury.

Well I don't read a lot of books but out of those I have read, I must say that the Lord of the Rings books are the best ones I have ever read. I just love the whole world tolkien have created. It really makes me feel like I'm inside of another world ^^ I love the movies too. I have only read them once though... They are so long :V

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to decide, but my favorite books would have to be.  

1. To Kill a Mockingbird By Harper Lee, Probably the only book that I didn't want to put down.

2. Adventures of Tom Sawyer By Mark Twain, because it is a really good "coming of age" story.

3. Anthem By: Ayn Rand. This book, although short was filled with a lot of symbolism and themes relating to human individuality.  

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold: An excellent book that combines the gritty and saddening reality of suffering with family trauma and the spiritual, creative outlook on what awaits us after we pass on. Definitely one of my favourites.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: A beautiful novel that is elegantly written and truly magical. The descriptions are superb, and one of the few books including romance that I actually enjoy

The Divergent Series by Veronice Roth: A creative and enticing series, thouch some may say its too similar to other teen series such as the hunger games. I still really enjoy it

The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner: Again, often compared to similar books in its genre, and though the writing is not as elaborate, the plot makes you think and is very original

I, honestly absalutly love this book that is some what affiliated with MLP it's name is Pegasus I forgot the author's name but, it's about a preteen girl who finds a pegasus who crashed into her roof. It is in most libraries and has weird twists and turns.

• 3 weeks later...

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. It's about a woman Louisa Clark, that loses her job and must take a job as an assistant for a man Will Traynor who got his legs paralyzed in an accident. She's the girl who knows everything within about 7 miles in her little town in England, while he's the guy that used to have a life full of adventure. But they're just about to change each other lives. 

I know it sounds cliché and you might be able to tell what's going to happen. But this book is my favorite because the protagonist was easy to relate with and the ending was bittersweet. The book left me with a feeling of sadness yet hope for the protagonist. I realized just a little bit more how precious life was and that I possibly should turn my life around a little. And also for one of the first times in my life, I've been wishing to meet the characters and believe in a few seconds that they were real and not fictional.

And then comes The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Sophie's World by Jostein Gaader.

My favorite books are:

The Little White Horse (it's for younger people, but I don't care)

Les Misérables (amazing words)

The Secret Garden (beautiful, beautiful classic)

The Last Unicorn (classic fantasy - read it in my childhood, years before I even knew there was a movie - I wish more people knew it was a book!)

The Nancy Drew series (I own over 200 Nancy Drew books)

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (read it before the musical ever opened, and I love it hundreds of times more)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

1984 by George Orwell

The Chronicles of Narnia

Pilgrim's Progress 

& The Screwtape Letters

The Old Man & the Sea by Ernest Hemingway 

Those are some of my favorite books to date.

Edited by Ticking Timebomb

I think I posted here but...

My personal favorites are...

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton- Must read for Sci Fi fans.

the Warrior series by Erin Hunter- Amazingly well put together.

Watership Down by Richard Adams- must read of classic modern literature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any book in the Warrior Cats series. The action, the drama...and freaking cats <3

I am still in the second arc (I'm near the end though), and I was crying at part of it. That usually means it's good :lol:

Also, some old faves of mine (that I haven't read lately) are Dragons in Our Midst by Bryan Davis (and the sequel books), Dragons of Starlight (I think that was the name) also by Bryan Davis, and DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul.