Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Do You Keep Going?

The Stranger

If I give up now, my entire family would be dragged down along with me to oblivion. Or course I can't do that, right?

I no longer have any dreams. All I want is a quiet, content life somewhere. No monstrous piles of cash is necessary, just me and my beloved. While I know there is a huge chance that even that will somehow screwed up beyond measure, I will keep going until my time is up.

• Brohoof 1

What keeps me going?
Well, I always swore to myself that I'd be published.  If I gave in and killed myself like I've wanted to once or twice, then all my life's work would be for nothing.  I'm mostly out of my suicide phase now, and in hindsight, I'd say that's what got me through.

So yeah, thanks muse.  You're a fickle hellcat, but you're also pretty cool.

(edited)

This topic left me at loss of words, there's gotta be a reason for why I haven't given up earlier, given how shitty my life can turn into at times, but there's no reason for me to every day smile at things and hope for the best.

Everyone has a reason to keep going. You write that you don't know what keeps you going but I know you know it's there. You feel it within but you just haven't discovered it yet. You will in time, everyone does.

Edited by Celestial Valour
  • Brohoof 1

The thing that keeps me going is, family & friends that still love me.

The huge amount of dreams, that I want to accomplish 1 day.

I'd have to say the last thing is, Hope & the friends I made on MLPforums.

• Brohoof 2

Even if I lost everything, my family, my eductation, EVERYTHING...

I would still go on.

Why?

This is the only life we get. You have to do the best you can with it. Plus, I keep my life simple. My daily routine is as follows:

> Breakfast

> School

> Socialize

> Home

> TF2

> Work

That's all there is to it. It's incredibly hard to ruin a simple life. That's why I respect our ancestors, they lived simple lives. You can't screw up a simple life (Almost). And I'm very content with what I have.

But what really keeps me going is my dedication towards goals. I will not die until my goal is achieved. The sheer amount of dedication I possess is, and will always be, enough to keep me going in life, forever.

• Brohoof 2

The description of Hope resonates best with me, especially with the way my life is going right now.

During the day, generally, my life is kinda sketch. Whether it's the general unfriendly attitudes of a lot of people at my school, the pressure success of school, the extreme embodiments of stress which are my parents.....or whatever....the day rarely fails to get me down.

But I always have faith that it will be all better. After my parents and everypony else goes to sleep, I can truly wake up and relax and enjoy life. I go on the ponynet, spend time with all of my friends (you guys :3), listen to some amazing poni music...and just generally have a great time living. Also, don't even get me started on how much i love to go out and watch stars on a clear night. :3

I have hope that gets me through each and every day.

You all give me hope. :D

• Brohoof 2

You know what? I just thought of another thing. The fandom of My little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This fandom has become something more than just what butthurt critics and haters think. We're all family, you fellow bronies and I, no matter what the circumstances are, there will always be other bronies to back you up. You guys are all fundamentally involved in a big picture, a beautiful one. A picture that makes me proud to be a brony.

• Brohoof 1

There are pretty much two things that keep me going:

1. My goals in music. I will not be able to rest until I am there.

2. Once I became an Atheist and accepted that the chances of an afterlife are infinitesimally small, I gained a sense of value for my life, and stopped thinking "Well, if I die now, at least there's something better afterward". This is all I've got. If I end it, my small sliver of existence is over forever.

I suppose there's a third one... For my family.

1. Helping people.

Seeing someone in a bad place and Making them feel better always makes me feel like theres a purpose.

2. Music.

My craft is my passion. As it were. When I was depressed I would sit and play guitar for hours trying to learn a song. I'd practice unti I had it down and play it some more. It seems to have gotten me to a better place because people have noticed the one scrap of talent I have in me besides math.

3. Surrounding myself with good people.

People look down on me and me freinds and aquaintences. As Wierdos and stoners.

We treat eachother well and recognise when someones feelin bad and help them out.

4. Positivity.

For me havinga good attitude in this fucked up reality has keps me strong and in good spirits instead of being in a place where you feel dead inside. 

5. Knowing there are people that have had it worse.

I'm fucking lucky and i know it. I got a damngood roll of the dice in this life. Being born into a good family with enough money to get what I need. 

Edited by yourmomsponies
  • Brohoof 3

I keep going with the knowledge that every day can contain a completely new experience. Every second of every minute of every day, an opportunity to do something different or important comes around. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. No two days have to be identical.

• Brohoof 3

I keep going with the knowledge that every day can contain a completely new experience. Every second of every minute of every day, an opportunity to do something different or important comes around. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. No two days have to be identical.

That, and bacon. Amirite?

Bacon is an EXCELLENT reason to keep going. I ate some this morning for the first time in weeks and it really set my soul right. I'm not even kidding :) (when you're travelling for work and you only just got a suite with a kitchen so you don't have to just have toast for breakfast anymore.... oh it's a great feeling!)

anyway, i guess if there's a serious part of this post, it's "enjoy the little things" :)

So what keeps you going? What keeps you from giving up and just letting your life slip away?

The reason is, that I already went through a lot since my first memory. If I surrender now, all my struggle, all my energy I used in order to keep on living through my own hell would have been for nought.

If I die for any other reason than taking my own life, so be it. At least I tried to stay alive - I didn't give up till the very end.

And the other reason is, despite my 26 years I didn't actually see and experience everything there is on this planet. That's why, until my time has come I'll keep on collecting experience and knowledge.

• Brohoof 2

What keeps me going?

I've realized life is all you have. And eventually, I just didn't care. I just lived life, and so far, it's been working out very well. Suicide would be pointless.

Why? I have no reason, to be honest. My family and "friends" don't much care what I do anymore. No longer do I have a reason.

I suppose the reason is that I just can't end my own life after my first failed attempt, and the false hope that maybe someone'll eventually care. I'm an attention whore, I guess.

I feel like I should be happy. I live in one of the richest countries in the world, and I've never lacked for water and other basic necessities, but the fact that people always say "you should be more grateful" makes me more unhappy since I feel I'm a failure due to my depression.

I want to feel cared about, and as much as I harp about hating humanity I want to like them too. My disorder makes it hard for me to connect with my emotions so I'm constantly being berated about being cold.

Ramble, ramble, ramble, that's me. So I guess I want to care and be cared for. I want someone I can really open up with and not be afraid or unhappy all the time. It hasn't happened for years and it probably never will.

Edited by Asuka Langley Soryu

Sheer stubbornness :P

Nah, in truth I've been lucky to find myself some very good friends who've stuck by me through some horrid crap over the last few years and a great fiancée (who happens to be a pegasister lol).

Outside of that I find my passion for street art and exploration keep the fire going in dark times. And when depression or anxiety rear their ugly heads I go traveling for a while, just drop off the radar for a few weeks and reappear somewhere completely different... its amazing how far you can get with just your feet and a thumb.

Everyone has a reason to keep going. You write that you don't know what keeps you going but I know you know it's there. You feel it within but you just haven't discovered it yet. You will in time, everyone does.

Well, there's no reason besides my stubbornness  I'm not the type to give up easily, and "giving up" seems like something a coward would do, the feeling of failure, and letting those around me now I can't handle what life throws at me is one of the things I hate the most, that being said, I won't let myself give up so easily,  and to be honest, it really serves me of no good but watching as stuff gets destroyed around me, I don't have such a big reason to give up, but I don't got much to look forward to anyways, I guess I just want to see everything around me crumble and fall. :V

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why? I have no reason, to be honest. My family and "friends" don't much care what I do anymore. No longer do I have a reason.

I suppose the reason is that I just can't end my own life after my first failed attempt, and the false hope that maybe someone'll eventually care. I'm an attention whore, I guess.

I feel like I should be happy. I live in one of the richest countries in the world, and I've never lacked for water and other basic necessities, but the fact that people always say "you should be more grateful" makes me more unhappy since I feel I'm a failure due to my depression.

I want to feel cared about, and as much as I harp about hating humanity I want to like them too. My disorder makes it hard for me to connect with my emotions so I'm constantly being berated about being cold.

Ramble, ramble, ramble, that's me. So I guess I want to care and be cared for. I want someone I can really open up with and not be afraid or unhappy all the time. It hasn't happened for years and it probably never will.

Every human life on this earth is precious. You didn't come into existence only to lay down and die later feeling empty and useless. You have worth and meaning just like anyone else. you may not realize it yet but every person including you has a reason to live. It's only a matter of time until you discover what that reason to live is. 

You want to be cared about? You want someone who you can open up to? This world is packed to the walls with different kinds of people. All you have to do is reach out and eventually you'll become good friends with someone you never intended to be friends with.  Not all is lost. You have worth and purpose on this earth. Have faith in yourself and in the future ahead. You'll be alright. 

Edited by Celestial Valour

It's questions like this that really make me think. I've been through hell in my life. I mean hell too. My mom passed away in September of 2011 and after that happened I began to spiral. I did things I'm not proud of. Then a bunch of drama happened and I moved in with my father whom I hadn't had a relationship with in years. Things have turned around. I have a job, and an amazing boyfriend. He helps me keep going. My new family helps me get from day to day. 

I keep going because there arepeople behind me supporting me and would be absolutely crushed if I gave up. 

Things are fine now, but there were a couple of points in my life (nearly flunking out of college at my first go at it, losing my first real job and going into long term unemployment, dealing with anxiety attacks because of OCD) where when I was at my worst, the only thing that kept me from contemplating swallowing a whole bunch of pills was that my family would be devastated if I went through with it. 

• Brohoof 1

For a long time I have had many difficulties in my life, sure, i have been lucky enough to have a computer, internet, a house, etc. but feeling good on the inside..? Well, this can't be answered positively.

In highschool i barely had anyone that spoke to me, most people never cared, I even got bullied many times by jerks who only wanted ''A little fun'' I remember one time when someone organized people to sing ''Happy Birthday'' to me on the wrong day on purpose, and also how some stupid douches told a girl to kiss my cheek, as part of a ''game'' of truth or dare, Kissing my cheek, was a fu... excuse me.. a bucking dare challenge, that destroyed my self esteem entirely.

I kept going thanks to my family, and the only real 3 friends i ever had, they make me want to continue at life, and i wont let people like the ones i mentioned to ruin it. 

• Brohoof 3

My whole life has been not so great what with my relationship with my family, more specifically with my father, being far less than stellar. What keeps me going however is that I know that one day I'll be above him, doing better things with my life than he ever could. And when that day comes, I'll pity him.

I also try my hardest to think of life as a gift rather than a burden. We sometimes take everyday things we get or see in life for granted. I try not to but I'm just as guilty as everyone else for it. However, I always keep in mind that things could be worse. I've been given a beautiful world to live in, even if it's incredibly cruel sometimes.

Edited by Lightning Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know...if I was gone my family would be sad for the rest fo their lives. That's pretty much the only thing that keeps me going. Day by day I'm losing hope and interest in wanting to keep living. I don't even know what the point of living is. I can't see anything good about it, and even when I do, the horrible things outweigh the bad all the time.

I often feel that my mind is in pieces. Like the "mature" the "little kid who never had friends", the "serious", etc. I mean it's not any kind of mental disorder, it's just that certain things trigger one of these...me-s to take over the rest.

the kid one is in charge a lot, and while I do have a lot of people to talk to (even if it's just over the internet), I mostly have fun with them and seldom do I talk about serious things with the ones I'm closer to.

Ambition to fulfil my dreams. Hope that I can leave this world much better with a legend that will live forever.

All the possibilities of having fun in the future, making friends, treating and being treated kindly.

All the good things that this world has to offer, all the places, so many activities, sports, games, experiences...

To help other people in need and to help people become better selves. Many of them is just lost...

Also my suicide would cause butterfly effect and world would change terribly...

Edited by ShadowSong
  • Brohoof 1

I keep going because I have worked way too hard too long and have accomplished too much just to give up, I am the most stubborn person you will ever meet I have losing I have a really hard time admitting that I am wrong and that has been both one of my greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses. And if my efforts can inspire at least one person than my life will have some meaning.

• Brohoof 1