Was Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn a good thing?

pleasedontcomeback

357 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilicorn is good or bad news?

• Good!
    • BAD!
    • Idk, as long as the show goes on.

Twilight going back to normal does sound like a good idea in
truth but she could also use the Alicorn form if things get out of hand say
with a foe or something.   Its like a
power up level just none saiyan like and minus the over done yelling.

What I hope they do is give us more look into the Alicorns themselves
and the sisters (also more Luna is a must must!) past.

Well, as others have said I think it can be good because it opens up new possibilities for the creators to explore. Of course we don't know if it's permanent yet and I believe that there are two more episodes in season 4 that are directly linked to this episode.

At this point I can't answer this question. Literally, I don't know. it depends on execution. If they go the "pretty pink princess" route, then with all likelyhood this was a terrible decision. On the other hoof, if being a princess is more a form of knighthood, and she's pretty much the same adorkable Twilight, just with wings and a title, then the show can pretty much go on as before.

At the same time considering the fact that this is a "3 parter," this could end up being temporary and a plot (:3) device to a bigger story, which I think might be a possibility. I just get that feeling given the pacing, like this was just a setup so they could just apply the plot device to her to be used at the beginning of the next season.

EVERYTHING rests on the S4 opener. I have a lot of theories. Like I said in a previous status, today's episode wiped away one pound of head cannon, but created ten tons more.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 1

Whether it is good or bad depends on if it is done well, unfortunately this episode was done very poorly and has not eased my worries in the least but the season 4 premier will most likely go into more detail about this so it is still possible to at least not make it completely horrible.

The reason I don't really like it  (I don't hate it, just don't like it) is because even though Twilight has recently become my new favorite, I realize that she is ridiculously overpowered and dangerously close to Mary Sue status, compared to the other main characters.  I feel like now she is even more awesome and the whole reason I liked her was that she was normal, but had a particular gift.  Now that's all turned on it's head and thrown out the window onto some very sharp rocks. 

• Brohoof 1

The reason I don't really like it  (I don't hate it, just don't like it) is because even though Twilight has recently become my new favorite, I realize that she is ridiculously overpowered and dangerously close to Mary Sue status, compared to the other main characters.

Exactly, Twilight has recently become my favorite as well along with Applejack and Luna who were my favorites from the beginning of course but there is no denying that even if done well this comes dangerously close to Mary Sue territory and that is what concerns me. Whenever I bring this up though alot of Twilight fans take it the wrong way and think I am bashing her as a character when the opposite is the case.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 4

On the other hand, how many seasons would it take for the same old formula to grow stale? While it is true that the show will more or less have to take on a new direction at this point, I think it's a bit premature to say if that new direction will be good or bad.

I'm of the same mind. I personally think that the show is just on the verge of staling and that a change was needed. I strongly approve of the overall theme of graduating Twilight and having her move on, even if I feel that alicornizing and promoting her to Princess was a bit overboard. But whatever. Minor details.

I'm not particularly liking the rumor that everything will simply go back to normal and she'll be de-alicornized. That sounds like a cop-out to me. At the very least, if crowning and deifying her is a spectacularly over-the-top epic event to cap off a series of other epic events, then dethroning her ought to be equally epic and spectacular. It shouldn't just be like "Eh, I don't feel like it."

I have to ask, where is your proof that she doesn't like the way the show is going. I don't recall hearing that she left the show on such negative terms. 

I believe that Twiliscael was referring to one of these:

post-1320-0-41019700-1361079126_thumb.png

post-1320-0-24716700-1361079138.png

I tried giving alicorn Twilight a chance, but after that mess, I firmly believe it was a bad idea. I really hope she changes back in season 4.

• Brohoof 3

attachicon.gif1361063999438.png

attachicon.gifeven faust hates this.png

I tried giving alicorn Twilight a chance, but after that mess, I firmly believe it was a bad idea. I really hope she changes back in season 4.

That's... sad actually D:

Becouse deep down we all know that she is going to be that way for the rest of the show. Damn... im kinda depressed now...

• Brohoof 1

I believe that Twiliscael was referring to one of these:       I tried giving alicorn Twilight a chance, but after that mess, I firmly believe it was a bad idea. I really hope she changes back in season 4.

Hmm... Interesting and sad at the same time, it makes me wonder why she left the show and what would have been the direction of the show if she had stayed.

• Brohoof 1

attachicon.gif1361063999438.png

attachicon.gifeven faust hates this.png

I do want to point out that the second tweet is partially false. The second line in that picture is clearly not from the original tweet.

https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye/status/296399665627271168

I still don't think a few sporatic tweets can properly judge the full situation behind her leaving the show. For us to be so certain that she is unhappy with the show from this just seems ridiculous. 

Edited by IHazTommyWiseau
  • Brohoof 1

I for one refuse to feel bad for liking alicorn Twilight and the last episode. Still I do feel like I'm already in a minority. I hope it doesn't come to the point where saying 'I like alicorn Twilight' is tantamount to saying 'I like Jar Jar Binks' at a Star Wars convention and having half the room pull out daggers. 

I've actually never had any major negative issues about Twilight becoming an alicorn. I believe it's for the better that this show alters its plot formula from time to time, in order to prevent the show as a whole from becoming stale. I still voted "Idk, as long as the show goes on.", since it'll be a quite a while before the next season begins and when we'll see how Twilight's new situation really unfolds. I'm just gonna let this fly (pun intended?) and keep my faith in the writers, 'cause they're still doing mostly top-notch jobs with the show's writing.

Honestly i dont really care, as long as the show goes on. I actually think its interesting they decided to go this route, seeing as it was obvious. But i digress, only time will tell if this was a good thing or not. Seeing how this generation is deep in plot and character development i think this will turn out good.

alicorn twilight is good and all but when you think about making making her an alicorn was kinda early this will either be good that they will ba able to think new episode for season 4 or bad that it will be hard for them now that twilight is royalty and will be far too busy to be with her friends and as for as im concerned the only thing that bothers me are there reactions why isnt twilight bothered by the fact that she will live a LONG time and her friends wont if that would happen to me i will be sad...

• Brohoof 1

It really depends on how the writers intend to bounce off this.

Making Twilight an Alicorn has great potential for a number of things,but it rests on the shoulders of the writers to use this potential.It can either make the show amazing,make it super mediocre,or impact nothing at all.Only time will tell.

img-1180714-1-tumblr_m5tyyiF5vN1qbcfk2.j

Faust has had nothing to do with the show since halfway through season 2. She didn't like how far they've deviated from what she originally invisioned and left. She hasn't even been able to bring herself to watch it since then because it's so different than what she wanted. She was reluctant to even be interviewed for the Bronycon documentary, even.

If I may be so bold: do you have sources for the assertions you made here? That Lauren left the show around Season 2 is undisputed; however, the reasons for her departure were never explicitly stated by any party. (The claim that executive interference from Hasbro led Lauren to leave is not entirely unreasonable -- though it remains conjecture, as far as I know.) And I have never heard Lauren ever state that she is reluctant to be interviewed regarding MLP. I had the distinct impression she was fine with interviews; the problem is that she cannot answer a lot of currently circulating questions because she is no longer involved in the creative process.

In any event, I'd be interested in seeing your sources for my own education on Lauren Faust's departure.

Was Twilicorn a good or bad thing?  Regardless of your opinion on the subject, I doubt this episode did anything to change anyone's mind.  People who didn' t like it will still not like it, people who did will continue to.  It's the same as it was before the episode.

I think it was a good thing.

I don't really understand what the big deal was.  I see it as a good way to advance the story.

To be honest, it's also a good chance to actually avert the princess cliche that everyone is so afraid of.  Remember, we haven't seen her for more than 10 minutes yet.  Give her a chance.

Also, to the people who want to see her turn back.

Sure, we say that the princess cliche is overused.

So uh...rather than them using this as an opportunity for advancing the story, you'd rather fall back to the even more overused cliche of "I'd rather give it all up"?

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

I think it's a bad thing. A bad thing for me, is that it doesn't make any sense! Twilight doesn't make any sense in being "Royal"! She's just a student of Celestia. Twilight herself, doesn't work, with being an Alicorn. I never understood this move of Hasbro, but i hope Season 4 will be something like "Twilight, Sorry, we messed up, you're not a princess, *Kicks her out*"

• Brohoof 5

I feel like the change gives an opportunity for new avenues in the story and life lessons about maturity, responsibility, and, probably, jealousy. It as if people forget about the part where Twi asks Princess Celestia if she will still be her student and is answered with basically 'yes, but it will be different'. I feel like that is a pretty direct way of saying, "don't worry everyone, everything isn't going to completely change". I guess I really don't mind the change, but if Twi gets reverted back...well, I wouldn't mind that either.

The only things I keep asking myself are: 1) How are episodes going to end/will they still end with lessons? 2) How is Spike going to fit in with Twi's new role?

Although it feels a bit sudden to me, in the long run i think it will be good. One of the reasons is just for more possibilities. If she stayed a unicorn, then the stories would also be limited by that, and eventually start to get repetetive.

It steers the ship in a new direction, and gives potential to freshen up the show with new ideas, which is  good (although I wouldn't mind another season with the same recipe). But I wish it would've been done another way.. 

• Brohoof 1

I think its a good thing cause it shows how strong her friendship is with her friends,and it also shows how good of a student she is.

The way I see it, friendship should not be rewarded. It should come naturally, without having to be rewarded. Her friends in that respect also did not recieve anything... I find it sad :(

• Brohoof 4