Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilicorn  

959 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Ummm... yes. Alicorn Twilight is a bad thing. Why should you be convinced? Here's why: We want to see an exciting show about friendship struggles, not some boring, uneventful, cliché sellout starring some princess attending banquets and making decrees. That's completely missing the point of the show because it draws attention away from Twilight's friends. They deserve it more than she does. Without them, she was [and would still be] stubborn, unfriendly, clueless, and weak while the world burns down around her.

I know, I was just saying my opinion. That's all.

All i'm saying is that dont have a problem with alicorn twilight, but i also understand that some people will disagree.

I personally liked the episode and while there were too many songs (which were good) the show was still pretty good if not albiet a bit rushed. im kinda just curious as to what the creator is going to do now with Twilight now that shes an alicorn...will it mean we will see less of rainbow dash and the others or will they go with her on her journeys. Thats my only real question.

I've been a supporter of Twilicorn ever since I first heard she would become an alicorn princess. Usually in kids' shows when a character has gone through a change, the change isn't permanent and "everything goes back to normal" at the end of the episode. I believe that this permanent change has plenty of potential and is something fresh to add to the series. I have faith in the writers, especially when they say the fourth season is something that we don't wanna miss. I've got a feeling that season four will be the best one yet. 

What's wrong with being a princess? it's Twilight's destiny

Holy God, this. I thought about this, and how they tried to portray destiny in the episode. It caused a relapse.

I just cannot make heads or tails of what they were trying to say with destiny. On one hand, we've got the cutie mark issue, which ends in what I interpreted to be a message of "You decide your own fate, do not feel bound by a destiny (represented by the incorrect marks)." Then Twilight goes into spaceland, where she's told it's her destiny to be a princess, so she's going to be a princess. To me, this sent the message that "You're destined. Deal with it." These messages are polar opposites; they mean exact opposite things; they CANNOT coexist. Yet, the episode seems to send both across as a message. To me, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, making this all the more infuriating.

Do you need certain personality to be able to be a princess? no, if a very introverted kid is born in a royal family, it is OK to revocate his title just because he lacks the skills. No, you just have to teach him some ways, and that's exactly what Twilight has to learn about being a Princess. 

History shows that if you don't have the right skills or personality to hold that much power, you will likely fail epicly at doing so. Look at nearly any royal family ever, and that becomes apparent. You can't really "teach" how to be a king, queen, princess, or whatever. Again, if you don't have what it takes, y'ain't gonna do your job well.

Anyway, I'd much like it if this were to not evolve into a full-blown debate. Trust me, you ain't gonna change my mind. So I simply ask that we agree to disagree. 

• Brohoof 4

img-1386335-1-i_hug_that_feel.png

It'll all be okay. I can't stand the changes either, but I accept defeat, what's happened has happened and there's no turning back the clock on this. Its not worth fighting anymore, i've invested so much time in MLP and this one change isn't going to ruin it for me. People keep saying "its for the better, blah blah blah, natural story progression blah." my ass!The thing is, there's plenty of ways to progress the story;and this is NOT how you do it. Adding in new characters to liven things up, like they did with Cadence and Shining armor (and even Babs!), that's great! Resurrecting beloved characters like (discord and trixie) and expanding on them is even better! that scootaloo episode was one of my favorites, it gave scootaloo quite a bit of depth. Expanding on existing things is how you do it. Drastically changing already well-rounded characters is NOT how you do it! They are nowhere near "out of ideas". There's plenty of material to make episodes on, i wanted to know more about that Saddle Arabia place, the crystal empire, and the griffon kingdom? Where DID spike really come from? they just dropped that story arc, i really did want to know more. Spike could always use more character growth, the relationship between spike and twilight is one of the most heart warming in the series. they should flesh it out more. Or, How did Zecora end up where she is? What is the daily life of Celestia like? They could even bring up the most outrageous off the wall stories and involve the mane six in them. for instance... is Rarity secretly a ninja? img-1386335-2-wacko.png

img-1386335-3-gjAIR.gif

TL;DR: There's still plenty of material to work with, they didn't have to go and do.... that.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 4

Holy God, this. I thought about this, and how they tried to portray destiny in the episode. It caused a relapse.

I just cannot make heads or tails of what they were trying to say with destiny. On one hand, we've got the cutie mark issue, which ends in what I interpreted to be a message of "You decide your own fate, do not feel bound by a destiny (represented by the incorrect marks)." Then Twilight goes into spaceland, where she's told it's her destiny to be a princess, so she's going to be a princess. To me, this sent the message that "You're destined. Deal with it." These messages are polar opposites; they mean exact opposite things; they CANNOT coexist. Yet, the episode seems to send both across as a message. To me, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, making this all the more infuriating.

Huh... You know, I never really thought of it like that, and you make a pretty good point. Hopefully the season 4 premiere will touch on these points with Twilight questioning her destiny.

I'm actually wondering what people will say once season 4 hits if some people still don't like it. Let's say, six episodes in I still hate Twilicorn, and my enjoyment of the show is lessened, would people still be trying to convince me that I'm wrong? And if I stopped watching because I didn't like it, would people scoff at my decision and spout 'trust the writers' again? I'm actually curious...

• Brohoof 1

Technically, it all started with me asking Meghan McCarthy on Twitter, if Twilight will be immortal and forced to outlive her friends. She eventually responded with, "Twilight will not outlive her friends." In other words, either Twilight will die and join her friends (which will be unlikely in a children's cartoon), or her friends will attain their own immortality as a result of being the Elements of Harmony.

And then, there was the book, Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell. While its own friendship-lesson was obvious even from the start, it was, at the very least, satisfying to see Twilight learn. Technically, Twilight's friends make good advisers, and that even though they aren't alicorn princesses, they have as much, if not more of a say as to what goes in or out of Equestria as Princess Twilight herself.

So I guess, really, my problem wasn't that Twilight received a species and status-change. It was the fact that Twilight would be immortal and forced to outlive her friends. And, now that I know that either Twilight will die and join her friends in the pony-afterlife, or her friends will develop their own immortality from the Elements of Harmony, I've grown to not only accept, but also like Princess Twilicorn.

After all, it's almost always everyone's dream to run the lives of countless more people, whether as a CEO of a company, or president/prime-minister of a nation. However, in order to do something like that, they have to work their way to the top, and pour tons of blood, sweat, and tears doing so along the way. Plus, one of my favorite video game characters is Commander Shepard, who is almost the same way as Twilight: A powerful and influential leader to both his/her beloved friends, as well as the countless other people in the world/galaxy/whatever.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 6

Technically, it all started with me asking Meghan McCarthy on Twitter, if Twilight will be immortal and forced to outlive her friends. She eventually responded with, "Twilight will not outlive her friends." In other words, either Twilight will die and join her friends (which will be unlikely in a children's cartoon), or her friends will attain their own immortality as a result of being the Elements of Harmony.

Nothing like hearing it straight from the writer pony's mouth, eh? :D

I don't see what the big deal is, personally. I mean they had this stuff planned out over a year in advance. They knew what they were doing, methinks. :)

I still have an issue with Twilight's new status. Not that I'm against her being an alicorn princess but the timing of when she became one. It seems like something that should happen only for the VERY LAST episode of the show, ya know? I think her new status is going to do more bad then good in terms of her relationship with her friends.

• Brohoof 1

You know. I've always been against Princess Twiliot. Why? Because no one has brought up my concern yet.

My problem is, all the ponies bow down to the Princesses. This should be the same for Twiliot. If it is, she can't be around her friends all the time, because they won't be given the same treatment. Not to mention, quite awkward for the viewer. If not, it's contradictory. Now, you can make the argument that it'll only be once upon meeting, but, that then just falls into both categories.

Now, don't even get me started on the whole bit where she will have to attend to royal duties instead of going on adventures with her friends.

With how the show is set up, it's a bad idea that doesn't work. You can say what you want, but until season 4 airs, I won't be so accepting.

I still have an issue with Twilight's new status. Not that I'm against her being an alicorn princess but the timing of when she became one. It seems like something that should happen only for the VERY LAST episode of the show, ya know? I think her new status is going to do more bad then good in terms of her relationship with her friends.

You know what would be even cooler? If the VERY Last episode of the show was not about Twilight, but about somepony else. It could be about Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt. (And no, she did NOT become a wonderbolt in wonderbolt academy.)

This video is long but I think it's a good analysis. It speculates that Twilight still has quite a ways to go on her "hero's journey". Alicornhood is just the end of act one.

So technically, Twilight will eventually choose to return to her normal life as a unicorn-librarian from Ponyville, and that the whole thing will be temporary, after all.

And here, I thought I would accept and enjoy Princess Twilicorn, if only because she won't outlive her friends, either because she'll die of old age like her friends, or her friends will attain their own immortality as a result of their Elements of Harmony. Oh, and the fact she has tons of power, and that she can use it to benefit both her friends as well as countless other ponies living in Equestria.

So technically, Twilight will eventually choose to return to her normal life as a unicorn-librarian from Ponyville, and that the whole thing will be temporary, after all.

And here, I thought I would accept and enjoy Princess Twilicorn, if only because she won't outlive her friends, either because she'll die of old age like her friends, or her friends will attain their own immortality as a result of their Elements of Harmony. Oh, and the fact she has tons of power, and that she can use it to benefit both her friends as well as countless other ponies living in Equestria.

The video isn't very clear about the last few steps. Probably because they haven't happened yet. He never explains why Twilight will go back to being a unicorn again. It's just speculation. Also, you have to realize that the Hero's Journey was unintentional. Twilight will very likely stay an alicorn, so you can still be excited about it if you want.

Meh, I'm indifferent about Princess Twilight. I don't see why she was ever made a princess at all (outside of toy promotion). Celestia clearly does not need a successor, given that she is pressumably immortal, and even if she croaked, she has Luna would is very nearly just as immortal and just as old and wise.

The method of becoming a princess wasn't presented well enough in the show for me to care about her "achievement" either. If princesses are just the masters of a specific thing (Friendship, Love, the Sun, the Moon) can we infer there are princesses of things like cooking, gardening, mathematics, or falconry? Who decides if someone is proficient enough to become a princess?

I'm really hoping that the Season 4 opener can explain some of these things and convince me to care, otherwise I feel making Twilight a princess was nothing more than a cheap cash grab. It doesn't help that her title apparently changes absolutely nothing.

The video isn't very clear about the last few steps. Probably because they haven't happened yet. He never explains why Twilight will go back to being a unicorn again. It's just speculation. Also, you have to realize that the Hero's Journey was unintentional. Twilight will very likely stay an alicorn, so you can still be excited about it if you want.

Wait. The Hero's Journey was unintentional in MLP: FiM? Then how come it had all the tropes of The Hero's Journey, like the idea that Twilight has a mentor building her up to succeed her in the art of ruling a nation with friendship?

Wait. The Hero's Journey was unintentional in MLP: FiM? Then how come it had all the tropes of The Hero's Journey, like the idea that Twilight has a mentor building her up to succeed her in the art of ruling a nation with friendship?

Coincidence maybe? But even the video itself says it was unintentional. However, because it has come this far coincidentally, it could possibly continue coincidentally all the way to the last step. And if it does, that doesn't mean that Twilight will go back to being a unicorn. The guy who made this video was just speculating the last step of the Hero's Journey.

Coincidence maybe? But even the video itself says it was unintentional. However, because it has come this far coincidentally, it could possibly continue coincidentally all the way to the last step. And if it does, that doesn't mean that Twilight will go back to being a unicorn. The guy who made this video was just speculating the last step of the Hero's Journey.

Well, if this the case... then at the very least, Meghan McCarthy confirmed on her Twitter feed that Twilight won't outlive her friends. That means either Twilight will still age normally like her friends, or her friends become as immortal as her, if not alicorns.

After all, wherever Twilight's friends go, she follows them, just as much as the other way around, even if it might mean she dies with her friends, just as a captain goes down with his ship. Even as an alicorn, she's too much one with their hearts to stay immortal, which thankfully she isn't.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 1

You know what would be even cooler? If the VERY Last episode of the show was not about Twilight, but about somepony else. It could be about Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt. (And no, she did NOT become a wonderbolt in wonderbolt academy.)

Or the last episode would be all the mane 6's dreams coming true. Not just Twilight's. Heck, even the CMC may get their cutie marks. ...Well maybe that last part's a strech.

Edited by Tollhouse

Whether I accept it or not is going to depend on how it is handled in season 4, so far it has been handled poorly in the season 3 finale but there is still time to polish this turd.

And if I stopped watching because I didn't like it, would people scoff at my decision and spout 'trust the writers' again? I'm actually curious...

I think even it is handled poorly there will still be some people that like the change, the season 3 finale made zero sense whatsoever and yet alot of people liked it anyway. How many will like it though depends on how it is handled as there are also a lot of people that are neutral on this who could be swayed one way or the other.

• Brohoof 1

I really like your points on your opinion but, I think people really need to get over it. Since people can't adjust to change, we know they won't like it at all. But I find it quite hilarious that people overreact over change. But, I've adjusted to the change.