Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Advanced is Equestrian Technology? Is There an Equivalent Time Period?

Espionage

Tech level  

94 users have voted

1. 1. What tech level is right for Equestria?

• Renaissance
    • Industrial Revolution
    • Victorian Era
    • More recent
  2. 2. Needs more Steampunk?

• Yes
    • No

I too think that Equestria is somewhere before WWI, just based off the tech they use. Such as the computer that Twilight used, that was obviously based off the stuff in that era.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Well, it seems Equestria is an industrializing civilization due to the fact that the Steam Engine exists (the steam train running through parts of Equestria.) We've seen a portable camera with color photography, black and white film reel, flying machines (Pinkie Pie's flying machine), lights powered by some form of electricity (Cutie Mark Crusaders stage performance). Though we haven't seen refrigerators (unless I've missed it). My argument is that since Equestria has relied heavily on magic to go about daily tasks, there has not been much research and time spent into innovating technology. That is why there are no mobile vehicles run without magic and televisions. Though there are projectors? Now, I am guessing Equestria is set in 1900-1910 United States of America. A time in which technological advancement into the using industrialized products was finally coming about into the post-1910 era. We've seen Appaloosa represent the West, Canterlot represent the East and Ponyville represent the rural midlands/south. Griffon and Dragon territory is most likely North. Now I am comparing these areas to areas within the United States. What is everyone else's input? And about the lack of refrigerators? What exactly is preserving the food? How is Sugarcube Corner staying afloat as a prosperous business? Is it an "order a cake then eat it immediately" type of deal? I need to understand! I know there is something called "Pony Logic", but I feel there could be an explanation!

Edited by MallaJong1
  • Brohoof 2

I think the show plays fast and loose with it's level of technology. The most blatant example of this is the canonification of video games in the Hearts and Hooves Day episode, where a young colt is seen playing an arcade machine outside.

OUTSIDE. Meaning it isn't even hooked up to anything but the ground itself. Dear lord, are these ponies even more advanced then us? Then why do they still light their homes with lightning bugs instead of lightbulbs?!

(edited)

I think the show plays fast and loose with it's level of technology. The most blatant example of this is the canonification of video games in the Hearts and Hooves Day episode, where a young colt is seen playing an arcade machine outside.

OUTSIDE. Meaning it isn't even hooked up to anything but the ground itself. Dear lord, are these ponies even more advanced then us? Then why do they still light their homes with lightning bugs instead of lightbulbs?!

Solar Panels? It is possible that some pony invented a way to get a source of power from magic that is floating around, like a Tesla Coil, just on the receiving end.

Edited by F-22brony

Solar Panels? It is possible that some pony invented a way to get a source of power from magic that is floating around, like a Tesla Coil, just on the receiving end.

Whoa. This is an interesting theory. Someone could have created a device that uses an unlimited source of magic in atmosphere.

Well they do not exist within our universe or reality so therefore it's impossible to give them a time period based on our gregorian system of time.

I guess it is hard for me to accept the argument "Oh, it's a different reality, therefore their rules do not apply to us." because it seems the ponies still abide by very Western standards of living.

• Brohoof 2

They exist in a 1982 era. Simply because of that arcade game in the "Find a perfect stallion" song. Arcades were first made in 1982. Simple proof. Also, I believe that because Ponies would exist in an alternate universe where everyone is ponies....and the reason that tower that Nikola Tesla invented which would have given free wireless electricity all across the globe was cancelled because of greed....and ponies aren't very greedy from what i can tell.....NIKOLA TESLA (as a pony) EXISTED IN THE PONY UNIVERSE AND BUILT THIS MACHINE.

• Brohoof 1

They exist in a 1982 era. Simply because of that arcade game in the "Find a perfect stallion" song. Arcades were first made in 1982. Simple proof. Also, I believe that because Ponies would exist in an alternate universe where everyone is ponies....and the reason that tower that Nikola Tesla invented which would have given free wireless electricity all across the globe was cancelled because of greed....and ponies aren't very greedy from what i can tell.....NIKOLA TESLA (as a pony) EXISTED IN THE PONY UNIVERSE AND BUILT THIS MACHINE.

Nikola Tesla Pony! Somebody need to create a NIKOLA TESLA PONY! Nikola Tesla did exist in the Ponyverse!

Nikola Tesla Pony! Somebody need to create a NIKOLA TESLA PONY! Nikola Tesla did exist in the Ponyverse!

Posted Image

(edited)

They are in a 1960s post-nuclear idealist age.

You ever see that iconic image of 1950s/60s suburbia. Son is always shining, grass is always green, they blindly trust their leaders to protect them from the great threats of the world.

I dunno, just throw some pink flamingos on the ponies lawns and give ever male pony a pipe and every colt a propeller cap and there you go.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

Well it depends, when it comes to when are they, it's a seperate disscussion in my opinion because they have their own timeline. But when it comes to resemblance, I'd say the 1900's, because while not all is similar (or invented yet), it's the most fitting to the whole "Industrial but not so industrial" thing. (1960-70, sort-of)

To be on the safe side, I'll say it's the same sort of time period the Might & Magic series is set in. It's a primarily medieval setting with some technology scattered through the land.

To be on the safe side, I'll say it's the same sort of time period the Might & Magic series is set in. It's a primarily medieval setting with some technology scattered through the land.

This is a very interesting theory. The Apple family cultivates their farm with archaic technology, such as Big Macintosh pulling an iron plow, yet Twilight owns a machine that can somehow analyze Pinkie Pie's twitches.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is a very interesting theory. The Apple family cultivates their farm with archaic technology, such as Big Macintosh pulling an iron plow, yet Twilight owns a machine that can somehow analyze Pinkie Pie's twitches.

Well, techniclly it failed :P back on topic, the contrast between the two distant ages of technology is very intersting indeed, but it's not just the tchnology, we should also consider the phillosophy and behavior as a factor, sience people were alot more ignorant in acient times, and all the ponies in the show have at-least modern age knowledge and standerts. Edited by RiverBankNut

(edited)

I'm pretty sure it's in alternative timeline, after steam, after our discovery of electricity. Actually, I wouldn't hesitate to put MLP: FiM in new genre I just made up: Magicpunk!

Edited by thegoodhen
  • Brohoof 1

By itself, the timeline of that universe would be impossible to tell, because it's a fictional universe having no notable connection with our world, besides references and similar lifestyles.

In comparison to ours, I'd say they're a little bit less advanced then we are now. In transportation, if cars are not needed, which I think is the case, then I'd say they're pretty much up to date. Technology such as appliances and entertainment, a little bit behind.

As Ezio said, they aren't in out universe so it's hard to tell. I mean... This is a cartoon, there isn't really any set time period for it.

2010, quite obviously, and that is a point. Well, actually it's not a point, but it makes sense.

Right?

Well silly if it were 2010, all ponies would be in the ponynet

(edited)

Well, it seems Equestria is an industrializing civilization due to the fact that the Steam Engine exists (the steam train running through parts of Equestria.) We've seen a portable camera with color photography, black and white film reel, flying machines (Pinkie Pie's flying machine), lights powered by some form of electricity (Cutie Mark Crusaders stage performance). Though we haven't seen refrigerators (unless I've missed it). My argument is that since Equestria has relied heavily on magic to go about daily tasks, there has not been much research and time spent into innovating technology. That is why there are no mobile vehicles run without magic and televisions. Though there are projectors? Now, I am guessing Equestria is set in 1900-1910 United States of America. A time in which technological advancement into the using industrialized products was finally coming about into the post-1910 era. We've seen Appaloosa represent the West, Canterlot represent the East and Ponyville represent the rural midlands/south. Griffon and Dragon territory is most likely North. Now I am comparing these areas to areas within the United States. What is everyone else's input? And about the lack of refrigerators? What exactly is preserving the food? How is Sugarcube Corner staying afloat as a prosperous business? Is it an "order a cake then eat it immediately" type of deal? I need to understand! I know there is something called "Pony Logic", but I feel there could be an explanation!

Equestria is aplace in post appocalyptic america several millenia after a global nuclear disaster nearly destroyed all life on the planet... after several odd genetic mutations, the first sentient ponies arose. Edited by TheBronyHeart

Wait, I don't think ponies should drive cars without Magic.. 0.0 I mean think about it; If they tried driving with their hooves, they'd probably crash.. With their mouth? That wouldn't work either. It would hurt to look up, plus it would just be difficult..

Anyway, I don't think we should compare our time with theirs. My opinion though.