Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is something that has scarred you?

Kitty Cat Moonshire

When I was around 7 we would go to my friends pool at his house. If you have a pool in your backyard you might have a vacuum machine on the bottom of the pool called a barracuda. It was a long tube connected to what looked like a saw blade and it was used to clean the bottom of the pool. As a small kid that thing scared the crap out of me and even today I still feel uneasy about those machines. 

Also, I find it very hard to eat cupcakes after reading the fanfic Cupcakes. I remember this one time I was at youth group and my friend was standing there. I walked over to him, and I noticed that he was eating a rainbow coloured cupcake. My eyes were suddenly drawn to it, and I stared at it for quite some time. My friend thought that I wanted the cupcake, but I told him that was the last thing that I wanted. He asked me why, and I told him it was a long story so we just moved on. I never liked cupcakes that much anyway. 

Youtube comments.

Okay, seriously. I guess it would be my rather cold and sheltered religious upbringing. You're bad, you're a sinner, don't show weakness, don't bother anyone with your little problems, you should be ashamed of everything you enjoy or you'll go to hell, etc. I still have problems expressing myself and relating to others, especially IRL. The fear is always there.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

This happened quite a while ago. When I was sleeping with my arm was against the wall, I felt something crawling across my arm and immediately freaked out. It turned out to be a cockroach and my brother noticed how badly I freaked out. He told me that it was trying to lay eggs in my mouth. Now, I have no idea what cockroach eggs look like, but I can tell you that the mental image was not pleasing. I've slept with my mouth covered ever since. 

Oh, and also...

(o_o)    <(reeeetuuuurn the slaaaaab...)

~~|~~

/ \

Those who were affected by this will know what I am referencing...

Ramses, the man in gauze! The man in gauze! 

I loved that show as a kid.

Unfortunately, I suffer from Achluophobia, (fear of darkness).

Yes, it is childish, but I can't help it! :(

Ever since I was 6 and my sister scared me in my room, while the door was locked, curtains closed and lights off; I've been horrified by darkness.

~Luna

This is what scarred me, for the rest of my life.

When i was 4 years old, my dad used to work on his car in our garage. He used to keep a trashcan full of

rags covered in oil. The fumes of the oil in the rags got so bad it stunk up the entire house. At night, when we were all sleeping. My mom woke up and woke my dad up to tell him that she smells gas. Me, my mom and my
sister went to our neighbors house across the street, just to be safe. I remember when i was walking across the street i heard  my dad screaming and my entire garage was engulfed in flames. He was trapped in the garage, while i heard him screaming burning to death. I was 4, so i didn't know what to do. I remember my mom screaming not knowing what to do. Then i remember sitting on the curb across the street watching my house burning, then the fire department got there and put out the fire. The house was burnt to a crisp, but it was still standing. I lived with my friend for a few months then i moved to my grandpas house. My dad died in the hospital 1 day after the fire. If your wandering about how the fire started, its like having a stove on without the fire, but letting the gas come out. The rags in the trashcan in the garage were letting off fumes which acted like airborne gas. When he turned the light on, the electricity triggered the fumes, thus causing it to ignite. I still live in the same house, its just remodeled. But i can still remember the sound of my dad screaming...

Edited by KToadstool
  • Brohoof 1

Two things for me. Frisbees and insects .

I don't know what it is about a thin plastic frisbee flying at me through the air that terrifies me so much. Whenever i see a frisbee flying at me I go out of my way to avoid it. Bugs terrify me more than anything. Anything with a stinger will make me run for my life.

• Brohoof 1

Wasps......  I was climbing in the bushes when I was in 5th grade, and found myself face to face with a huuuuuuuge wasp nest. The thing was just a big, crawling mass of wasps inches from my face. Then some landed on me and began crawling around on my clothes. I ended up not getting stung at all, but the thought of wasps still makes me shudder..... 

• Brohoof 1

Anger and the dark have scarred me.

The dark has just always been a fear for me. Only pitch black darkness when you cant see a thing, anything ever just slightly lighter is fine and even slightly soothing. If I cant see, I flip my shit.

And my family has always had anger issues, especially my dad. I find myself getting terrified even if some one just raises their voice. I guess I've always been around anger. I went to a horrible primary school where all the teachers would yell and scream, and my father choked me once. I've been aware that anger can turn nasty since I was little. Its even worse when you have anger management problems yourself. I hit my late girlfriend in a blind rage once, and it scarred me more than her. I'm scared of myself now and I will always try to find an alternative to anger. Anger just doesn't go down well with me.

Well.....lots of things....some of which I don't want to share right now soo I will share the one I am most comfortable sharing

I was in a very bad car accident when I was 15, my grandmother was driving. I got a lot of whiplash, seatbelt burns, bruised muscles and I have perment upper back problems due to the wreck. My grandmother wasn't wearing her seatbelt and it crushed in her chest, she passed away on the way to the hospital.

I have worked really hard on my anxiety about driving and riding in cars. I still get really anxious when I wake up and drive to class in the morning and I will only ride in vehicles with people I feel have excellent driving skills. Long car rides are hard because I do have panic attacks if they last more than 3 hours.

On a much lighter note, I AM TERRIFYED OF SCORPINS, and cetepieds and millipeds. They really freak me out,

• 2 weeks later...

When I was four years old, I remember my father clear as day yelling "What the hell is wrong with him!? That's NOT MY SON!!" because my motor skills weren't very good and I was more of a thinker and creative type of pony then an athlete. I still think about it from time to time... Thankfully I grew out of it and have developed enough to be decent at sports :) and another time would be when I was around six years old, my sister threw me into a 9-foot deep swimming pool when I was scared and had no idea how to swim. I tried to grab others pleading for help and was kicked and knocked down deeper and deeper into the pool with chlorine filling my eyes and lungs. The lifeguard saw this and saved me from drowning basically. I've never gone near a large body of water ever since and have a deathly fear of tsunamis and floods.

My mind scares me. I am currently out of town, in a rural area babysitting 2 dogs for my aunt and her husband who went to Jamacia for holiday. I've never been here before, and never alone in unfamiliar territory. So naturally I feel a little jumpy on my own. but sadly for me i have an active imagination, and it likes to wander. so if i hear ANYTHING then i start thinking on what it could of been.

It starts out as "Oh it was probably the dryer. I turned it on so my clothes would be ready for wear tomorrow". but then my mind wanders to "What if it wasn't the dryer, and it was someone trying to get in?" then my mind keeps wandering ~.~.

But it is much better here now, I've gotten use to it and i listen to music to fall asleep so I don't hear anything. It helps keep my mind at peace.

When I was about seven I was in a hospital lobby and a little girl was rushed in missing her entire lower jaw. For my age it was way too much to handle.

I...lots of things. Mainly my friends picking on me in 2010. That was sooooo fun. Then we have all of the other stuff that I've had to go through since then. Mainly just trying to quell fights between people. Not fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat afriad of spiders, though I'm usually a "kill on sight" unless it is a mile away. But some really scary things are

-When I went to get a pizza out of the oven and my oven mitt slipped and I had my arm slam on a 500F rake. Arm bubbled a little, which scared me.

-Escape from Nevara. Black Ace is seriously the scariest sob I've ever seen.

(edited)

Something that has mentally scarred me?  To be honest it was

this show

and I have no idea why.  It's like it makes me happy and sad at the same time.  I want to feel the same way I did when I first saw it yet I know that it will never happen, and it's just a piece of my mind that always feels depressed as a result of it.

Oh yeah and also, I'm terrified of alarms and bells, whenever I hear one I tense up and get severe anxiety.  You know the one, the loud blaring one that's on most alarm clocks.

Edited by Soduh_Man

I saw the aftermath of a guy who had jumped off a 34 story building. It took almost 2 tarps to cover it up. Ever since then, I have been haunted by it

When i was 19 i told my friend to kick me through a window, he did, i dropped around 15 feet onto a car... my back was fine but damn, lol, it scarred me because i remember how stupid i was back then... 

post-14701-0-83098500-1367893252_thumb.png

What am I not afraid of honestly?

I guess as far as stuff I'm afraid of I can provide an explanation for I'll have to go with my fear of public speaking I guess? Its really not even that bad anyymore, but I'll go ahead and tell the story anyways.

So back when I was like 11-12 or something I was in a public speaking class, and we had to give speeches, ok cool, only real problem was I was a shy person generally, but I could talk in some cases. 

So I wrote my speech and had to give it, the first time with my paper there, ok easy and simple I gave the speech and was ok. 

Then came the part where I had to memorize it. Now I spent so much time trying to memorize it, you don't even know. And I had it pat down, I could've easily recited it from memory normally.

However when I went to give my speech to the class my nerves kicked in and I started to forget everything and couldn't think straight,  I only gave like the beggining of my speech, then I just forgot, my mind was blank. I looked at all the faces eyes fixated on me, and I started to feel nervous, and my face even turned red. I kinda just sat there turned away for a minute and started to cry, then eventually my mom in the audience took me out and I cried some more, we didn't go back there.

The thankful part is it was a group of people I didn't know, so i didn't get any real lifelong embarrassment towards them exactly.

However, I couldn't do public speaking in front of people well for a while, ironically I could do skits and acting and stuff which I did a couple of random ones for different things, but no public speaking.

I guess the public speaking made me nervous due to the eye contact of everyone and not being sure where to look idk. 

Anyways, while I can now kinda give normal public speeches  I still hate them, and my face still turns red giving them, and heck sometimes when I'm simply asked a question. Its annoying, sometimes I don't even really feel nervous. But my face I can still feel heat up and get red.

So yeah, probably the most mentally scaring I can think of for a fear I have. Most of my other fears are from unknown things, or boring stories or something.

I also don't think that public speaking class helped my shyness, nor my public speaking skills for that matter..

• Brohoof 1

This is the part where I show up, read about all the "terrible" things you people have experienced and just shake my head.  I really hope you realize how good you have it, living in a first world paradise where movies and minor accidents/injuries are the worst things you've ever experienced.  I really hope you can see that.

cockroaches. Once when i was like in 3rd grade i went to put on my shoe, but i felt something inside. Thinking it was just a rock, i reached inside to grab, and as i was pulling out i tried to squeeze it a little to see if it was actually a rock. It didnt feel like a rock, so when i pulled it out wouldn't you know, it was a freakin' squirming cockroach in my little 3rd grader hand. I'm terrified of them since that day.

When I was very young one of those gigantic black hairy bees (carpenter bees, I believe they're called) landed straight on my nose.  It didn't stop buzzing its wings even though it had landed, so all I saw was this big black, strangely fuzzy blob in the middle of my vision that was buzzing incredibly loudly.  It may have only stayed on for a second or two, but I'm still terrified of bees (and any other flying insect that can bite, sting, or whatever) to this day.

To be honest, a few of my dreams had REALLY shaken me up.Both happened about a year apart, starting in '09. The thing that really freaked me out was the fact that I could only hear and feel 'em. 1st one, I could hear screaming and next thing I knew, pain in the chest. The 2nd one I could hear a little girl I knew telling me that "she liked to try new things", then a big rig horn and another pain in the chest. That's how my weird fascination with death began.

One day I was all alone when I was 14. That day it was superbly hot, and I needed to get outside ASAP. I went outside to go sit on our lawn and cool off, grab an Arnold Palmer (note I was not spoiled, I used to drink the Arizona Arnold Palmers like they were a part of my blood stream) to cool off. After a while, I noticed this bush devoid of any coloration. It was just... black.

That moment, I swear to god I saw a large black shadow fly right over me, and there was suddenly a pair of red eyes in that same bush.

I ran back inside and called my friends, telling them about my story. It may sound like a stupid delusion of a stupid kid, but I swear I saw what I can only describe as creepy sh*t.

This is the part where I show up, read about all the "terrible" things you people have experienced and just shake my head.  I really hope you realize how good you have it, living in a first world paradise where movies and minor accidents/injuries are the worst things you've ever experienced.  I really hope you can see that.

To be fair, this thread is about sharing one's personal emotional scars, not a contest to see who has experienced worse in life. Dunno about you, but one of my many philosophies is not to measure other people's experiences by my own.

I honestly don't know if I've ever had any earth-shattering, traumatic event happen that I can say has deeply scarred me. I guess the worst thing that comes to mind was getting the news that my biological dad had died, and later having to attend his (open casket) funeral. I never shed a tear at the time, that's how much I hated him for abandoning us.

But these days, for reasons I can't quite explain, I am full of regret for never trying to make amends in any way. I often wonder what he would think of me now - to see the sissy, doughy little crybaby of a son he always mocked, transformed into a real man...a better man than he was. For someone like him - who played country music perhaps to lament his own abused childhood - to see his own son turn to heavy metal for the very same reason. Only other difference being, I have the conviction never to repeat his mistakes with my own future children. I will resolve be the best damn father my bloodline has ever seen.

And now, I need a drink. Cheers, everypony! :)

• Brohoof 1