Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Immature kids today!

JeanHover

I hated middle school. Glad I'm a senior now. Even in my senior classes there are very immature boys. For example: Today in my govt class I over heard the boys laughing in the room and I looked over to see what they were laughing about. They were making gun noises with a banana. A banana! I was so done and I still am.

Where to even begin?

Middle School is commonly the most hated portion of a person's education. Period. Kids are just plain at their meanest and cruelest during Middle School. It's probably due to a combination of factors, maturity, puberty, and impressionability being the three highest ones. Not to mention that kids are very concerned about fitting in and becoming popular, leading many to mimic the behavior of what they see in media in order to attain said popularity.

I do not think it's alone the parents' fault, however. If that was the case, then all bad behavior and immaturity could simply be blamed on the parents, tracing all the way back to their parents and their parent's parents and their parent's parent's parents.

No, it's a combination of the parents', our society, the child's, the education system's, and a million other things that spawn the immature kids we are gifted with today.

Unfortunately, exiting high school and entering your adult life doesn't fix this problem. There are just as many immature adults as there are kids, and so the rest of your life will feel like you're eternally in high school.

Luckily, we all have ponies in our lives. And that alone makes me feel better. 

And my pipe of course. Can't forget that.

• Brohoof 1

I blame the media's attention to this. On the news, where we're supposed to be being informed about our day and times in the world, we're being told that this girl slept with who and that this guy said this and how 836927 people were murdered today and how this celebrity has been caught in a sex scandal.

Yeah seriously, and even what you could argue is real news is not much better. It is all complete and total propaganda based on fear mongering, half truths and complete lies all repeated to us over and over again ad nauseum as if they are the gospel truth. It is about republicans vs democrats when they are both bought and paid for, it is about hiding away from the world like a hermit crab or bombing everyone into oblivion instead of using common sense and talking and trading with people and minding our own business.

It is about giving all of our rights to be "safe" or having the terrorist boogeymen kill us all instead of treating it like a law enforcement issue which is exactly what terrorism is. It is all the same bullcrap spewed to us from the same handful of big corporations that want to shove their corrupt greed fueled agenda down our throats.

Don't blame music at all for this. Music has been a prevalent piece of media in society since the invention of the radio. While we have "Eminem and heavy metal" those before us had Black Sabbath and N.W.A. That's not to say that I do see the effect that mainstream music and it's lyrical content has had, but that is not such a strong point, especially since the artists who sing about this stuff had to have been influenced by it at some point, most likely THEIR own childhood which just creates a never-ending circle of logic.

As a musician and listener I find most of todays "music" to be incredibly boring. It is completely lacking in any creativity or originality, it is just the same corporate drivel repacked over and over again. It is not that there is no talent out there, there is plenty of it but the sad truth is that it is a symptom of a society being dumbed down. Most of the songs I liked are either old or are from video games, movies, anime and cartoons.

• Brohoof 1

Its quite normal really, seems like a vast majority of people my age guys mostly really, are quite imature. Even being Freshmen in Highschool. Infact normally they don't even get mature until atleast being a sophomore. Alot of the other freshman guys need to grow up.

Middle school was alot worse though for maturity. Which is why I also hang around girls a good bit, I hang around guys sometimes especially when they invite me to sit with them or they start chatting with me, but to be honest sometimes they are really immature acting and I just have to shrug it off. Thankfully I'm shy so it doesn't come off as that strange when I don't answer them or anything and just fakely smile. But yeah.

I dunno why but girls seem to have a higher level of maturity then guys do overall from the guys I know, of course theres plenty of immature girls to, but they seem to be more consistently mature.

Not to mention they're not all worried about you being the tough guy all the time, and aren't nearly as judgmental as guys are to other guys, may be due to be being a guy, but regardless I almost feel more comfortable around them then other guys.

Although most of the guys end up getting more mature once they're no longer freshman. Seems like most of the non freshman guys are pretty mature for the most part.

I don't really find the humor in dirty jokes and stuff to be honest, It just doesn't seem rational to find something dirty like that to be humorous. So I don't care for them, sometimes i'll fake laugh to not feel awkward or whatever, but its annoying sometimes.

I don't exactly mind cursing per say, but some people think they're so cool for it. The only time I ever curse is when I'm really ticked off at something. I don't do it to be cool or because its apparently funny. I suppose depending on the context it can be funny, but just flat out saying it isn't really funny.

I'm not a particularly big fan of my generation to be honest :P.

Edited by Zygen

Speaking as a 23 year old young adult (emphasis on the young please), I'd just like to take the time to point out that there's no point in complaining that kids these days are immature. They've always been immature. That's what being a kid is all about. You only become mature once you take on responsibilities like providing for a family, paying taxes, and flushing the toilet after use.

Complaining about kids being immature today is like saying fish these days are too wet and slimy, or that dogs are too....doggy.

• Brohoof 1

I would say that influence from video games, rap, and TV have to do with this. I am a freshman in High School and I am surrounded by ignorant people who decide to listen to rap, play 17+ games, and watch shows like Family Guy and Jersey Shore, etc.

I just think its wrong to have all this available in society.

People shouldn't be talking about pot, guns, and sex in Middle-High School.

I am 14 and a freshman.

I have noticed this in our world.

Nobody in our school gets it.

Be a good influence, and always be appropriate.

Welcome to the human society, half of the population doesn't know how to spell anymore, you will be judged on your clothes, actions, and personality. Enjoy your stay.

(Or go to Equestria instead)

I felt the same way in Middle School.  I didn't fit in with the guys too much, so most of my friends were women, or were older than me.  It gets better as you get older though, and it also helps if you find the right group of people to hang out with. 

Millions of us agree with this.This is why middle school sucks in today's world.Learning isnt cool when there's immature kids around.Maybe this is why we hate school.Because of the lack of discipline kids give in public.Back in middle school,you cant eat a corn-dog without someone calling it "Dick on a stick".

This happens to even younger kids too.A teacher told me that her husband is a bus driver for an elementary school,and he heard a kindergartner say the F-word. 

''Immature kids''

Well what the fuck do you expect from them?! They're kids! Ofcourse they're immature. Not like you never acted immature as a child.

i have been finding kids to better behaved then high school students. i work at a pizza place and for lunch we get a huge rush of high school student and the about 30 min later we get a smaller rush of younger kids. as far as i have noticed the younger kids are way better behaved and surprisingly tend to clean up after themselves but the high school students are a totally different story. i find that they almost never pick up after them selves and sometimes i believe they strive to make as big as mess as possible. once i found that a whole cheese shaker was opened as spread across three different booths and napkins and stuff will be stuffed into the most random places. 

If anything I'm more sick of people who find there way onto forums and complain about a small group of kids and then blame the entire bloody generation for it. 

Don't be a butt bro be chill.

Clearly you didn't read my entire post. I am one of these kids, as I am in middle school. I am complaining about what I see around me, what I see my peers doing, which I clearly do not agree with. Clearly I am not blaming the whole generation, rather just the ones in this generation who aren't like me and don't realize what they look like.

Don't be a butt bro be chill.   Clearly you didn't read my entire post. I am one of these kids, as I am in middle school. I am complaining about what I see around me, what I see my peers doing, which I clearly do not agree with. Clearly I am not blaming the whole generation, rather just the ones in this generation who aren't like me and don't realize what they look like.

I agree with most of the veiws on this thread, but personally I believe the blame rests not with one generation, for my generation is just as filled with Ignorance and idiocy as yours and I'm assuming the ones before, but society. It's become acceptable for the base and crass language we find today. 

We idolize idiocy and narrow minded-ness in our media and pop culture. Now i'm not saying these issues are limited to the last couple of generations... but they become more prevalent with every passing year. and society as a whole does more to encourage such idiocy than it does to curb it. I've been rather irked about these issues myself for sometime if you've guessed.

I know the feeling. I was the only one seemingly in school who actually tried to learn, not only that, but I was always respectful and obeyed the rules right up through graduation and I can honestly say I've never seen anyone else who went to school here do that. Then again I did grow up in an extremely small town.

• Brohoof 2

''Immature kids''

Well what the fuck do you expect from them?! They're kids! Ofcourse they're immature. Not like you never acted immature as a child.

Well I'm 12 and I act more mature than those pathetic exuses for people! They'll never be as cool as us ponies!

RAINBOW DASH FTW

Sometimes I feel like I'm this crazy mess of a person. A combination of middle aged maturity, preschooler energy, young adult work ethic, and a teen body.

Basically, I'm no more a teen than a model wearing a leather jacket is a cow.

When any given teen subscribes to fanciful notions of what teen behaviour qualifies, that's what creates problems. Being a teen at its most basic level is growing as a person and slowly entering adulthood. Aspects such as a rebellious streak and immaturity are certainly common, but aren't always an indicator of adolescence or a general adolescent attitude.

Looking at teens that way, I feel less like an outsider and more like an alternate solution to the growing up puzzle. A solution that, unfortunately, not many of my peers feel like pursuing.

Edited by Warkipax
  • Brohoof 1

Whenever I see people at school not even trying, people who do anything to get out of doing work, people who think it's cool to cuss like there's no tomorrow or do stupid things like disrespecting others or doing drugs and drinking at such an early age, all I can think is this.

b73.gif

• Brohoof 2

Whenever I see people at school not even trying, people who do anything to get out of doing work, people who think it's cool to cuss like there's no tomorrow or do stupid things like disrespecting others or doing drugs and drinking at such an early age, all I can think is this.    

THAT is the most amazing and accurate description of how I feel on a semi-daily basis I have ever seen O.o

Plus its the funniest thing ive seen all day 

I've actually noticed this trend too. Keep in mind I'm in my early 20's but I'm hearing stories of kids in grade 3 smoking marijuana and kids in grade 8 getting pregnant! I do think that their upbringing has something to do with it as well as exposure to these things through their peers. It's definitely a nurture aspect as opposed to nature. Unfortunately since it's becoming more popular for trends like profanities, sex, and drugs to occur at a younger age, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse :( 

In terms of sex and drugs, perhaps these kids could do with some health teaching about what they're doing to show how these things aren't appropriate for kids their age. I remember in Gr.3 we watched a video about smoking and it scared the crap out of me. To this day I can say I've never touched a cigarette because that video had such a great influence on me. 

Anyway the point I'm trying to get across is that unfortunately, I think it's only going to get worse unless the younger generation does a 180 in terms of showing what is cool and what isn't. 

Well I'm 12 and I act more mature than those pathetic exuses for people! They'll never be as cool as us ponies!

RAINBOW DASH FTW

That's the whole reason I posted this, because I see around me my peers acting in stupid ways. Not because I think everyone my age is like this. Now, I wouldn't call them pathetic excuses for people.

I agree with most of the veiws on this thread, but personally I believe the blame rests not with one generation, for my generation is just as filled with Ignorance and idiocy as yours and I'm assuming the ones before, but society. It's become acceptable for the base and crass language we find today. 

We idolize idiocy and narrow minded-ness in our media and pop culture. Now i'm not saying these issues are limited to the last couple of generations... but they become more prevalent with every passing year. and society as a whole does more to encourage such idiocy than it does to curb it. I've been rather irked about these issues myself for sometime if you've guessed.

Yes, and I have been irked as well. However I am only saying that children today, not in the past, are obnoxious. I'm stating that I hate how ignorant many of the kids today are, in the sense that they don't realize what they are doing. I'm just disappointed by the fact that they seem to have no conscious whatsoever. They literally just stare at the media and act like just because they're half as old as the people doing things on there doesn't mean they can't do it too. It's mindless and idiotic. Kids my age are losing their virginity because they think it's fine to emulate Nikki Minaj. Everywhere I go, I can always find a group of disobedient, naive, foul-mouthed elementary schoolers talking about sex and drugs. They aren't even a bit quiet about it. All I wish is that common sense was existent.

All I wish is that common sense was existent.

Unfortunately, its exists only within a small population, sometimes of which is hard to find or see in others as well. i can tell you ever since I was 12 I have only made friends with those that HAVE the above current average intelligence and wisdom to use it. While that has made my circle of friends ludicrously small I am happy to report that I don't have issues as long as I avoid those that do exhibit the traits you have mentioned :P

The only upsetting thing about this is that I am not optimistic about anyone's abilities to bring such things wisdom into the lives of most people :/ Either you were born lucky enough to be intelligent and raised well enough to become wise. or not. At least that's the way I usually see how these things become the way they are 

Welcome to my grade.

Everyone in my grade is a little immature, including me, but some people take it a lot farther that is nessisary. They say crazy, mean, racist, disturbing stuff and make sexual jesters that give my school a bad reputation.

Nah, it doesn't ever get better. I could lie to you and say it does, but it doesn't. You will have to deal with idiots the rest of your life. It sucks, it's terrible, but it's true. Of course, sometimes there won't be as many idiots, but there will still be idiots. Idiocy will change over time, but that doesn't make it less stupid. You need to learn to deal with idiots to operate in the world. Also, never think that there was a time without idiots, because there isn't. The world has always, is, and will always have tons of idiots. Just deal with it.

Edited by aperture_tech

A lot of people here seem far too happy to want to place the blame on a particular generation of people (and of course it is never that persons generation).

Seems like you really missed the mark. Did you miss the countless posts in this thread in which people expressed disdain for their own generation?

Anyway, I feel the same way; my generation is terrible. Sixteen-year-old here, and it's not much better from where I am. I struggle a lot with making friends and being social, so you can probably imagine how I felt when this person next to me shouted I love penis! is Spanish before receiving a hug from from some girl that thought that was hilarious.

Or that time a guy in the school's library left his laptop open to use the bathroom, and people brought up images of male underwear models. They all shared high-fives, because that's apparently what passes for humor for my age group.

Or those countless times the guys my age walk up behind somebody and start thrusting their hips, before sharing a high-five with the person they were thrusting at.

I look at my generation as if I were a self-aware dung beetle in a colony of regular dung beetles. A significant amount of us are deserving of nothing but disdain and contempt.

I, myself am in Junior High moving onto High School next September and one thing that I've gotta say is that I've made loads of inappropriate jokes in my times so far, and one thing to remember about them is that those people are still in their consciousness and they do have the smarts, they just like to giggle around a whole lot. Which is absolutely fine, there is nothing wrong with having a laugh at inappropriate things, honestly if you ask me everyone from the age of 13 and up has an immature side to them, and if you ask me about this whole thing, I guess it depends on how inappropriate it is and where they say the jokes, if it's in school then they should wait until later to tell those jokes, and if they're just laughing when someone mentions "boobies" or "penis" then just let them be, they aren't doing anything wrong, they're just giggling and laughing at how inappropriate it is. Honestly it's not like this isn't normal, it's something that they'll grow out of, just like I did, so let them be.