Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If MLP:FiM came out when you were a child, would you have watched it?

Blue Moon

115 users have voted

1. 1. If My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic came out when you were a child, would your child self watch it?

• Yes
    • No

When we first watched My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, we had to give it a chance first. But now we love it. Which leads me to my question. If My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic came out when you were a younger child, would your younger child self have watched it or even give it a chance? Or would you have said it was girly.

I don't think I would have watched it out of my choice. But I might of end up watching it if my little sister watched it. Then I may have started liking it. I did watch a lot of my sister's favorite shows and liked a couple of them as a child.

Vote above and tell your reasons below.

Edited by Blue_Moon
  • Brohoof 4

I would have denied any sliver of liking it in any sense, but yes. I would have actually liked it. I loved the Powerpuff girls as a kid and considering this is about on the same level, but more badass of a show I totally would have watched it in secret.

• Brohoof 1

I think I would have. However like the poster above said I would have watched it in private, but this is only because back then I cared about what my friends thought of what I watched. Now I know they don't really care :).

Reasons:

-When I was younger I watched cartoons of all types

-I think that despite the shows girly nature I think I would have found it entertaining

pixdp7C.png

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 1

I like it as a kid. I am still a kid. Well, 14. But still, KID! I was introduced in 2010, when season one just ended. And, when I was 12, I loved it. Well, I had to be persuaded by my friend first.

Yes, I even growing up as a child put no faith or stock in society, their morals, or taboos. If i had seen it and enjoyed it as I do now i would have watched it regardless of how anyone else reacted to it. 

Oh hell no. I wouldn't even known it had existed, because I didn't go on the internet really until I was like 8. And even then, I didn't go on my first forum until I was like 12, so I wouldn't have even known about ponies.

And I never would have watched something I thought was for girls.

Well; considering I watched G3 when I was little; due to the fact that I horseback ride, and am a girl, yea. That said: Most definitely.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, I think I would've liked it.

But I would've hidden it because I'd be far too embarrassed to admit to anyone that I liked it.

I attribute that to a classic CS Lewis quote that I hold dear to my heart:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
-CS Lewis

That's why I know that if I was a kid, I would be too concerned about people thinking I'm girly or a frilly boy to actually admit to liking MLP.

Nowadays, I don't care. If people want to know more about the show, I tell them. Most people I know know I'm a Brony now, but I don't shove it in their face. If they bring it up, I certainly will talk about it.
  • Brohoof 4

yes i would of when i had the chance. for me its kinda like powerpuff girls. it was out when i was a kid and i liked it but my dad didn't like me watching cartoons in general. so i keep it to a minimum.blush.png lucky for me my dad is a truck driver and was away from home a lot so i still got to see episodes every now and then.ph34r.png

Yea, I probably would. But everyone's missing that there wouldn't even be any bronies if it came out during our childhood. Imagine how much it would affect it.

Yea, I probably would. But everyone's missing that there wouldn't even be any bronies if it came out during our childhood. Imagine how much it would affect it.

Well if it came out during our childhood, it could possibly turn our parents and grandparents into bronies. That would be an odd turn of events.

No. I couldn't bring myself to like it. It's the same stigma that surrounds the old shows that would prevent me from watching it. Unless I was really, really little (like 3 or 4.) Or unless I saw that it was something that was being picked up by the male population at my school. Then I'd be okay with watching it. I dunno, I'm weird like that. Even now, if it weren't for the brony population being mostly male, I might not have watched it (or denied doing so) even as an adult.

Probably not. Since I'd be a child, I'd be going through the whole "if it stars girls then it will suck" phase again, and miss out on a bunch of shows. That mentality made me skip out on shows like My Life As a Teenage Robot, Power Puff Girls, Kim Possible, As Told By Ginger, Cardcaptors, etc. Now that I've matured, I've been able to appreciate them more even though As Told By Ginger still sorta-kinda-really sucked balls, hell, now MLaaTR is one of my favorite shows.

Where I'm getting at is that if it came out when I was a kid, I probably would've done all I could to avoid that show, and I'm glad that it came out now since it also happens to be one of my favorite shows

what I find funny though is that even though I said all of the above, I really liked the Wild Thornberrys. I guess it was because it wasn't in your face with it's girlyness, girl power, and what not

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Haha, probably not. The idea of it being classified as a "girly show" would probably keep me away from it. I also wanted to be taken seriously as a child and watching something like that really wouldn't help.

• Brohoof 1

Yes I would have watched it.

Growing up I watched a lot of cartoons.

Most of the times I didn't care way the target audience was.

I watched all cartoons weither they where ment for boys or girls.

I was introduce to some girl cartoons by my cousin (who is female) and I liked them.

For me cartoons where cartoons.

It's as simple as that

(granted there were cartoons I didn't like, but that was on both sides, girl and boy cartoons alike).

Maybe, since growing up I watched a fair number or cartoons that were on the "girly" side, like Totally Spies (which I actually used to watch with my dad, lol!) and that live action show about those mermaid girls called H2O something (which I liked mostly for the powers and the mysterious stuff though) but since it would've aired on a TV channel here that generally broadcasts shows that are much kiddier than FiM, I would've never even found about it, because I never switch to that channel.

I'm 110% certain that if MLP:FiM came out when I was 7-13 years old I wouln't have watched it, never ever. Not saying I hate it now, or I would have hated it back then, I'm saying that I wouldn't have found it interesting + I'd probably would have been too shy to watch it anyway.

Edited by Freckle (#YIFF)

Not a chance.I was too busy watching Dragonball Z,Megas XLR,Dexter's Labatory,Martin Mystery,Invader Zim,and all those cool boy cartoons.I watched only an episode of Powerpuff Girls,Sailor Moon,and Totally Spies before deciding they were horrible and too girly for me.

Though I did like the Totally Spies/Martin Mystery crossover they did.

As a kid, I definitely wouldn't have given it the time of day.

Excellent animation, brilliant characters, and superb storytelling? Fuck that! 10 year old me just liked fart jokes and cliches. God, my tastes sucked back then.

• Brohoof 3

I would say yes.  I reflect back on my thoughts about watching the Chipmunks as a kid.  While it was always presented as a cartoon for a gender neutral audience, on the surface it looked more childish than contemporary programs like Transformers or GI Joe.  I also had a closer relationship with my mom than my dad.  I would be OK if mom knew I liked the Chipmunks, but I either hid it or downplayed it when dad was around.  When I recorded the Chipmunks on the VCR, I pretended to be recording the wrestling that was on the channel the TV was actually turned to.  I wanted to look like a boy in my dad's eyes. 

If MLP:FiM were on while I was a kid, I'm sure I would have regarded it the same way.  And anybody who feels a need to hide their interest in MLP:FiM from family members, I can totally relate with that. 

I watched Powerpuff girls as a kid, I watched Wynx club as a kid, I watched Sailor moon as a kid, I've even seen and enjoyed some episodes of a Barbie show/mini-series...

So of course I wouldn't have watched MLP if it had come out back then! Are you kidding!? That shit is way too prissy for a real boy like myself, I mean, seriously? Candy coloured ponies? Ha! Cool joke bro.

In reality back then I would have been more receptive than I am even today. Back then I would've loved seasons 2 and 3 unconditionally just as much as I do for season 1 today. Heck, back then I would've watched gen 1 or 2 if we had it on TV over here because back then I was optimistic and could find "something awesome" in every single series I was presented with. Maybe I wouldn't have watched every episode, because I never particularly cared for "following" a show before I got into anime, but I wouldn't have had to be drawn into it by a third party as much as ended up being the case.

I've watched re-runs of Jem while younger. I saw a handful of episodes of the Powerpuff Girls, and I absolutely adored Totally Spies. I think it's a safe bet I'd watch MLP: FiM. Especially since lots of girls my grade school classes enjoyed MLP themselves.

Yeah, I gave G3 a go. Problem?  

I would have to think more about how I would start watching it. I might've saw my sister watch it one day and wonder what it is she's watching, because that was usually how I got into cartoons like the Powerpuff Girls.

Considering this, I might've enjoyed it, but just knewing it's meant mainly for a young female audience wouldn't really work unless I knew a lot of other males who enjoy it.