Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people make their stallion OCs in the mare format?

CandyRush

I just want to know why people do it. Is it because the head doesn't look right or what? I just want to know. It does look better than the stallion heads. But I want your opinion.

Well, my OC is a stallion. But his head is a mare head. Some people don't like the blocky-style head of the stallion, so they go with the mare head. My reason was that he stallion head was too big for my OC'S body, so I used a mare head instead. If I used the stallion head, My OC would look like a bobblehead and be topheavy.

In order to keep him looking more like a stallion, I didn't give him any eyelashes.

Edited by Blue_Moon
  • Brohoof 4

My OC is a stallion, but he has a mares head.  I think it's just because the blocky style of the stallions head is very odd looking to a lot of people.  So I made him have a shorter mane style while keeping it long.

I think it kinda personifies the person. If you are the kind who is muscular and does work and shit (you know who I mean) you would probably choose the regular stallion format but if you're skinny and aren't very fit (such as myself) you would probably choose the mare format. Unless of course you just flat out like either of em and actually request it to the artist (cause lets face it how many of us can really draw?)

• Brohoof 2

Alot of people just find the style for a mare more appealing my OC was originally a stallion with a mare head then people mistook it and I just went along with it and now I have a Mare OC. But yeah I'm pretty sure its just because people prefer the style of a mare over the stallion. Hope this helped

My OC/ponysona is a sexy pretty boy so I needs to have a trim and slender babyface to win over the hearts of all the beautiful mares.

Don't ever change, XFizzle. 

Anyway, part of me thinks it's because some people aren't actually aware of the difference between mares and stallions. When I first watched the show, I wasn't really. I didn't notice that stallions had blocky heads. Honestly, it's something that's a huge pet peeve of mine. (Because I'm a bit of a canon nazi, particularly when it comes to OCs) It makes things super confusing and ambiguous, and looks far too feminine to be masculine. There's better ways to make your OC look a little girlier/slimmer. You could also make the blocky snout a little shorter, whilst still retaining the male part. In my opinion, it's like putting breasts on a human male drawing because you thought human dudes looked kind of ugly without them. 

• Brohoof 1

The reason alot of us use the style similar to mare's is that its the most attractive style arguably....

Plus its similar to the mane 6, and we all love the mane 6..well..most of us

Personally I really dislike the stallion model, way too blocky and muscular for me. I personally just find the mare one allot more attractive to look at in comparison, that's just me though preferring less muscular people. 

Plus its similar to the mane 6, and we all love the mane 6..well..most of us

True Story Bro derpy_emoticon1.png  

When I made my OC with that pony creator, I thought the head shape I gave my OC was a male shape until it turned out it's Zecora's head shape, but I didn't complain because it's basically the only one that actually looked masculine and didn't make my OC look ugly.

I have thought of this in the past, and I honestly have no idea. A lot of the people who already posted in this thread seem to just dislike the way stallions look like, so I guess that's what it is. I for one like the way stallions look so I made mine with an actual stallion body.

blizzardwing_by_lumend-d4zm0u9.png

My OC's a stallion and I stuck with the 'stallion' styled head because it just looks more masculine xP Although I can see why some people use the mare's type of head. But since it's their OC I don't think there's anything you can do about it xP I just like the way it looks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, at first it wa because I didn't know the difference (I had only seen one episode), but I kept the design as a little joke. My character is kind of a pony version of me, and I get mistaken for a girl a lot, so I thought it would be amusing. I've only made one other stallion that looked like a mare, and it was based on Shadowmere from Skyrim. And since I can't seem to find a clear answer on what Shadowmere is, I thought it'd be funny if no one could tell what my character is either. Every other stallion I've made looks like a stallion.

you think that's bad, have a headache from me; my OC is a hermaphrodite (has both sexual organs), identifies as a female, has a snout that's a cross between the mare-design and stallion design, and is long and slender!

viscra_pony___request_by_arylett_dawnsbo

but really, though, the blocky stallion snout is more fit for the more, erm, masculine stallions like Big Mac. maybe not everyone wants their stallion OC to give off that vibe. yay for gender-ambiguousness!

My stallion OCs both have the more Zecora/Celestia style muzzle, pretty much cuz neither of them are very muscular. Lightning is a pegasus so wouldn't want to bulk up as it would make him less fast, and Diego is a unicorn who wouldn't see the point of being muscular as he has his magic. I did make them on the maker with the afore mentioned muzzle rather than the mare one, as I just think it's better defined. All my OCs have that muzzle, haha; I just prefer it. XD And I made the mare OCs look definitely girly, so it's fairly easy to tell them apart. Need another clue? My stallions are both patched two colours in their fur.

I'm pretty sure mine has a more mate style head, although his muzzle is a bit more point then the mare style.

I personally really don't like how the head looks on the stallions, it looks really weird... Atleast on my Oc I think. That's my assumption why is that some people don't like it's design.

I usually just check the eyelashes and see if they have them, and if they do their female, If they don't there male. I don't pay attention to the head really. Eye lashes on a male pony would confuse me though, that seems like a feminine thing for cartoons.

I always use the stallion head when making a stallion OC. I have never seen a male with a mare head in the show, and I like to make my fan characters as close to canon as possible.

• 1 year later...

I used Pony Creator to make my OC initially. I really didn't like the look of most of the typical stallion headshapes that were seen in the show. (Sorry, Big Macintosh, but you have a weird-shaped head!) I settled on one that still had a bit of a cute upturned nose like the mares but was a little more angular and could pass as masculine. Between that and his colouration and lack of long lovely eyelashes, I think it worked.

Like the others have said, some people just find the angled look of the stallion-style head to be a little weird. I never really decided for my OC, I just give the artist colors and descriptions so Tenor's head shape tends to be at the artist's discretion. Most tend to go with a stallion-style head, and I haven't disliked any picture I've gotten done of my OC so far so I guess I'm not one of the people that finds it weird :P

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

Like the others have said, some people just find the angled look of the stallion-style head to be a little weird. I never really decided for my OC, I just give the artist colors and descriptions so Tenor's head shape tends to be at the artist's discretion. Most tend to go with a stallion-style head, and I haven't disliked any picture I've gotten done of my OC so far so I guess I'm not one of the people that finds it weird :P

That is essentially what I did for Pathfinder. I basically said I wanted a male point with this certain color scheme, and let the artist have at it. Like you; I've been happy with what I got. :3

The head for stallions in general looks a bit awkward compared to the more softer and somewhat more natural look of the mare head. It's not a bad thing, but being used to so many mares in the show it can be somewhat of a surprise when you see the stallion head.

Pony Creator doesn't really help that... :P