Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you hate more Alicorns in the show?

Motion Spark

from season 2 ending to the entire lenght of season 3, we could see that alicorns are not always omniscient legendary gods that never grows old and that are perfect in every way and sense. We thought that of Celestia and Luna.

Then we get Cadence, a princess (Crystal Princess) with normal mane and tail, and apparently she can age (so she's not inmortal) and is married to Shinning Armor, a common unicorn (with a bigger horn). And we have Twilight, whom converted herself into an alicorn princess by decoding the magic of friendship (?)

Now, we know that alicorns in the show are not 100% perfects and it's possible for them to born as alicorn (I think, in Cadence's case) or become one (Twilight's case), or just exist forever (Celestia and Luna). My question is, would you hate the idea of discovering more alicorns characters in the show, and how many of them would you tolerate?

Like, what if alicorns are not so rare as we think they are, and they live pretty damn chill in a unexplored area of Equestria, should they really be tied up to royalty? what if each major sector in Equestria has their own princess but we just don't know yet.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

Having more alicorns without a reason is akin to everybody in Star Fleet being an officer. Yeah I never got that either. Too few worker bees in a world that needs worker bees. The current princesses, yes even Twilight, have a good reason for existing. New ones would need a good reason too.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 4

I don't think there should even be more allicorns then Luna and Tia, as none were mentioned other then them.

Since there are: I really could care less.

I think that if many more were added (without explanation) it would somewhat devalue the uniqueness of the species. I wouldn't particularly be opposed to a couple more if their existences made sense in the context of the plot. If Celestia and Luna's parents appeared, whether in a flashback or in present time, I'd actually be very excited.Ultimately it depends on whether it feels like it's expanding the mythology of the show through a cool new character or if it feels like they're throwing in this person just to have them there.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

honestly, I think there should be an alicorn for every magical element in life, like the greek and roman gods. There was the gods of day and night, god and goddess of love, even a god of Twilight and dawn, so i think it would be interesting to play with. Is there an Alicorn with powers over nature, or wind, or fire? Maybe and alicorn that controls all four elements, or like Persephone's mother, Demeter, who controled the four seasons. A god of good harvest, a god of the sea. So far we have a god or goddess to match each Alicorn, and I'd be interested to see what other alicorns bring to the mix. I also DO NOT think Alicorns are OP! They bear a mark of completion. I don't think Cadence was born an Alicorrn, and i actually think it's recent canon that she was actually a pegasus at one time. 

A high schooler with a diploma is not OP, is he? A college graduate? The CEO of a developed corporation? With more Alicorns brings more wisdom, so I say, bring onnnnn the Alicorns!

<3

Edited by SkyeRibbonPwny

(edited)

Well it depends. 

Maybe having one or two more alicorns isn't bad. After all, there's always gonna be relatives or ponies worthy enough to become one! Plus, with all the bad guys, a couple more alicorns isn't a bad thing. tongue.png

However, if they keep introducing new alicorns frequently, it will get old. Hopefully they don't use any more alicorns for marketing schemes, IF that's what they were intended for. Twilight becoming an alicorn made sense, because she totally proved her worth enough times. However, I won't really be that happy if every single pony becomes one. Otherwise it'll get pretty repetitive. XP 

But yeah, I guess having one or two more couldn't hurt. The show will always be awesome, so what's the worst possible thing that can happen? biggrin.png

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 1

DashForever and Chaotic pretty much nailed down how I feel about this. I wouldn't hate the idea myself, but it would supremely devalue Alicorns in general and make them feel a lot less special than they currently are. I was actually okay with Cadance because of how awesome the two parter she appeared in was, but now that Twilight is an Alicorn as well, I honestly feel like they should stop. There really doesn't need to be anymore Alicorns at all.

I personally think alicorns aren't that rare, if you pay close attention to the Hearts and Hooves Day episode you'll see that another alicorn princess existed, as far as current alicorns go I would only accept it if the alicorn was a villain (or male).

• Brohoof 2

The current four alicorn princesses have some good reason for existing. They represent Sun, Moon, Love, and Friendship. Adding Love and Friendship to the table was already a teensy bit of a stretch, but they're here to stay and I really don't mind them. Adding more alicorns wouldn't terribly dissapoint me, but I'd like some clarification from the show at some point: Celestia and Luna appear to be immortal, and Cadence does not. I say this because Cadence looked younger in the flash back of foal sitting Twilight while in every flash back with Celestia she looks exactly the same. What are these god-tier alicorns? Or will Cadence soon be immortal too, and she'll just stop growing old at a certain point? That would certainly imply that Twilight is now also immortal, which just brings up the whole 'watch all of my friends die' thing.

The current alicorn situation has the potential to get rather messy very quickly, so throwing more into the pot would likely not help.

Shinning Armor, a common unicorn (with a bigger horn)

post-761-0-57319600-1365466416.jpg

I think more alicorns in the show would be kind of silly, it seems like there shouldn't be that many because if there were a whole bunch of them, then they wouldn't be very special.

I wouldn;t mind if we saw more Alicorns, but i would mind if they are all in Equestria. I would like to see alicorns from other places in the world. As Equestria sounds like a country due to chrysalis seeking Equestria for love to feed upon.

So more alicorns for new reigons could be cool. All of them clumped together together wouldn't be cool imo.

(edited)

Personally if they added more Alicrons then the meaning becomes pointless

Celestia and Luna where originally ment to be the only alicorns (save for Twilight)

This made them special

If we add more alicorns then we may as well make a lost Alicorn nation where all ponies are alicorns.

Edited by Phoenix237

No, in fact I would enjoy it so long as it is done correctly and with a deeper purpose aside from, "Heres this character to appease the fans,".

To be honest, I've always hated and rejected the notion that alicorns are these almighty, next to divine beings. It would be interesting to seehow the creators make them into something other than "uberly special ponies".

Before Cadance, I wouldn't have liked to see more alicorns.

Now, I see them as mixed-race and not necessarily more powerful than others.

I see Celestia and Luna having powers that are not related to their body. I wonder if there are other, equally powerful creatures from other races. I prefer to entertain the idea that Celestia and Luna are yin/yang, though.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't hate the idea, but I wouldn't love it either. I'm so-so xP Adding more alicorns wouldn't make it so special anymore, at first Celestia and Luna were the only two alicorns in the show and they were a pretty big deal in the show, adding Cadence was just a bit of a surprise for me since I thought there were only two immortal Princesses in the entire show.

I think they should just leave the number of alicorns as it is now...

I'd prefer they didn't put any more in now. Alicorns are meant to be really special and rare, so adding more would just be annoying. 

Unless it's Shining Armour and Cadance's child. I'd be cool with that. :D

• Brohoof 1

Not excited for the idea at all. I like alicorns being rare and kind of mythological creatures (even by pony standards), but to add more would mean that it's not so rare. It might work if we find some kind of Alicorn Kingdom in an unexplored area of Equestria where ponies never really get in (except for Pinkie Pie, she can break the fourth wall, so it'll be possible for her to get there).

Speaking of alicorns, they seem to have super natural powers (most of them, anyway) so... Can Pinkie Pie become an alicorn? I really thing she might become one O_O

From a worldbuilding perspective, more would be fine, if they can be justified. But from a storytelling perspective, adding more alicorns would force the show to devalue them in order for the Mane Six to be the go-to group in a crisis. It'd also play havoc with continuity; was Nightmare Moon or Chrysalis or even Discord that big a deal if every neighboring country or metaphysical concept also has an alicorn overlord who could be called in to help? Heck, it takes handwaving and fan explanations to justify not using the power that's already on call.

princess_macintosh_by_docwario-d5ubrgi.j

Nah, it's cool. Let's do this.

I don't really have an opinion either way. It would all depend on the context of how each alicorn was introduced.

• Brohoof 2

While it would be nice to see more alicorns in the show, they need to have a VERY good reason to become one. Otherwise people will get a bit annoyed to see alicorns EVERYWHERE (Although i wanted that to happen tongue.png )

Other than this i don't really care at all.