Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Flash Sentry?

Saddle ~ Arabia

I don't even buy the romance in the "human" world. A guy shows up, bats his eye lashes and suddenly you're head over heels in love? And as for her having a crush on the pony....why? The "human" version was from an alternate universe, what could they possibly have in common?

That questions means a lot more when you realize that Flash and twilight had awful chemistry even in the other world. Remember Star Wars, when Anakin and Padme were apparently in love, but the acting was so bad that you couldn't buy it for a minute? It's a lot like that, only blander. Flash brings nothing to the table besides apparently being cute, right? What common ground do they have, what interest do they share? Their love is so shoehorned and forced.

And It's kind of bad for Twilight's character as a whole when you notice that out of all the possible archetypes she could fall for, it's the "cool" kid with the jacket, the weird haircut, and the guitar that wins her over. Because that just says to me that Twilight must be as shallow as the grave. I always hoped that she would be interested in a fellow nerd instead of a jock, like that Einstein pony, because this just feeds this idea that all girls are attracted to the generic popular kid. I am so disappointed.

I think that what you fail to realize is that not all initial attractions to other people are developed because of common interests.

As a woman, I can attest to the fact that I have developed heavy crushes on guys based solely in the fact that they were kind to me when I needed to be treated kindly.

Twilight was infatuated with Flash Sentry. She was not in love with him like a wife is in love with her husband. But if people didn't develop crushes on people that they barely know, I am not sure how many people would have gotten together and gotten to know each other better.

Also realize that not all relationships need to involve people with a lot of common interests. While common interests are important to me in a relationship, they are not important to everyone, and honestly, I do not see common interests as being something that important to Twilight, considering that all of her best friends do not have that much in common.

Flash was in the movie for like 5 minutes. This is not comparable to the first episode of Star Wars because in EqG, it was obvious that they liked each other. But it's not a serious relationship type of romance nor was it ever meant to be. It's about a couple of people who just met each other and find each other attractive and they wanna try being with each other. That's all that it is in the movie. They didn't kiss, they didn't confess their love for one another, they didn't become boyfriend and girlfriend, there wasn't even a cheesy romantic goodbye when Twilight went back to the pony world.

The relationship only went through like the first two stages out of MANY in the dating realm. But you are trying to analyze it as if they have gone through more than that and you are interpreting their initial signs of attraction as Hasbro telling us that they are seriously in love with each other. The reality is that they didn't even have the chance to hit that stage yet. Which is why the relationship is left open-ended. They could get together, but they could also go their separate ways. It is one thing to have a preference, but it is another to believe that it's impossible.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 6

Flash was in the movie for like 5 minutes.

That's a failure on the movie's part. Besides Sunset Shimmer, he was truly the only new character that mattered. How can you only dedicate 5 minutes to him in an hour long feature?

The relationship only went through like the first two stages out of MANY in the dating realm. But you are trying to analyze it as if they have gone through more than that and you are interpreting their initial signs of attraction as Hasbro telling us that they are seriously in love with each other.

In reality, that'd be true. But in this kind of fantasy realm it's always love at first sight. Crushes almost always escalate into deeper relationships, even when no one asked for it. I realized that this was intended to be an actual relationship when the bombshell of Twilight even being remotely interested in a boy hit me, hit us. You really think that would happen, they would throw that little party favor in for shits and giggles and it meant nothing? The fact that he exist in the pony world too is what solidifies it.

They didn't kiss, they didn't confess their love for one another, they didn't become boyfriend and girlfriend, there wasn't even a cheesy romantic goodbye when Twilight went back to the pony world.

Might as well have been. Seeing as you already needed both hands to count off all of the cliches.

Above all else, I hate that they had no common interest. No he was just cool, and she was infatuated because of it. And since I am not a woman, I have no real idea of how that feels but from a story perspective, it was just lame.

• Brohoof 2

For me, I think Flash was a pretty good character. I don't understand why he have so much hate. I mean I know there are some Twily fans upset just because she has a crush on someone. There are many cartoons I've watched where some characters have a few romantic feelings here and there (ex. Sailor Moon, Adventure Time, Regular Show)

I think it's cute that she likes Flash imo. I admit I did fangirl'd a little when her friends started teasing her a bit after she bumped into a Flash and started to blush (I can't help it, it was adorable xD)

However since the show does focus on friendship, I think that's what the show should focus on. I don't mind if I see a few mild cute moments with Twi and Flash, but they should focus more on the friendship between the mane6 and this is coming from someone who ships FlashLight.

As for being a pony, I don't know but I think he looks better as a pegasus but that's just my opinion.

Like I said it's nice to see Twily have a crush but I think Flash does need a little more development though. But what I've heard he won't be in S4 so I guess it was nice to see Twily has a special somepony :3

Edited by Lunar
  • Brohoof 1

I really like him. While we might not of learned much about him, things like jumping at the opportunity to join "Helping Twilight Win Her Crown" and embracing her awkward dance at the end endeared him to me. I want to see more of this character. 

That's a failure on the movie's part. Besides Sunset Shimmer, he was truly the only new character that mattered. How can you only dedicate 5 minutes to him in an hour long feature?

I definitely agree that both he and Sunset Shimmer needed some more screentime. Heck, they could have, ya know, interacted, since they apparently used to date and all. But alas, time constraints for fitting the movie into a TV time slot probably ruined that moment. I wish that they could have animated deleted scenes. That would be awesome. Or at least have Meghan release the original script...

In reality, that'd be true. But in this kind of fantasy realm it's always love at first sight. Crushes almost always escalate into deeper relationships, even when no one asked for it. I realized that this was intended to be an actual relationship when the bombshell of Twilight even being remotely interested in a boy hit me, hit us. You really think that would happen, they would throw that little party favor in for shits and giggles and it meant nothing? The fact that he exist in the pony world too is what solidifies it.

I understand what you are saying. But I think that Meghan knew that there would be absolutely no time to have a movie about friendship defeating Sunset Shimmer AND having Twilight develop a romantic relationship with a new character. Perhaps if the movie was, say, 100 minutes long instead of 72, there would have been time for it. But again, we have what we have, and instead of actually solidifying the relationship, they made it open-ended. Was it all just for shits and giggles, and did it mean nothing? Not really sure at this point. If Flash Sentry isn't even going to be in season 4 then how could the relationship they had in the movie mean that they are an official and serious couple? Couples sort of need to, you know, spend time with each other in order to maintain the relationship. If Twilight isn't spending time with him in season 4 at all, then there just isn't a relationship to maintain at this point. It doesn't mean that the relationship could never happen, but it seems like right now that isn't going to happen. And that's why we can say, at this point, that their relationship only hit the very first stages of relationship-building, before things get serious.

Above all else, I hate that they had no common interest. No he was just cool, and she was infatuated because of it. And since I am not a woman, I have no real idea of how that feels but from a story perspective, it was just lame.

Not having common interests that we are aware of is something that you probably just have a bias against. Objectively speaking, they do not need common interests in order to have a fulfilling relationship, but no one is making you like the ship, even if the ship did become canon.

Like I said, common interests are EXTREMELY important to me in my relationship with my fiance. I don't think I could marry a man who wasn't Catholic (or at least Christian), who wasn't into anime or cartoons, who wasn't a general nerd, and who wasn't open enough to join me on my escapades related to any of those things. But I know several couples who do not have a lot of common interests. They make their relationships work regardless, because while common interests may not be important to them, other things might be (like having similar parenting styles, opposite personalities, shared values, and a whole slew of other things that I do not feel like listing right now).

But let me speak from personal experience about crushes, then. Upon reflection of past crushes that I have had on certain guys, all it really took for them to spark my interest was to be kind to me. As I got older, I realized that I would get these crushes because of an insecurity in myself.

Twilight was extremely insecure upon entering the human world, and she emotionally latched onto the first person in the new world to show her kindness. As weird as it is that she became attracted to someone from a species that she had only seen for 5 minutes, that crush was not formed simply because he was cute. In order to fill the plot hole, I would not only say that her humanness was seeping into her brain as she was getting used to her body so she could find humans physically attractive, and pheromones could also be at play. But it wasn't just his cuteness that got her attracted to him. It was the whole package. It was her bumping into him that lead her to confidence in the new world.

Think of it this way. Would Twilight have gotten a crush on him if he had ignored her, or if he had laughed at her?

I think the answer is no. Because cuteness alone doesn't draw in someone like Twilight. Because if that were true, she would probably have a crush on every boy~

A woman can be attracted to a man who can help her obtain security. It's not the only reason a woman would ever want to be with a particular man, but it's a strong one. Now, I am getting married in two months. I look back on the way that the relationship with my man started, and I have to say that the confidence that he has helped me obtain is invaluable. I was a wreck before he came into my life. I needed him to get me out of that rut, and I still need him, not because I would lose everything that I gained as a result of being with him (because I probably wouldn't), but because I know that there is so much more to be gained from being with each other.

An interesting question would be, does Twilight need Flash? It's debatable, for sure, and right now it doesn't seem like, as a princess, she needs him, even though she needed him in the human world, albeit shortly, but the moments where he did help her out are more significant on an emotional level than on a rational plot-forwarding level.

But who honestly knows at this point? There is so much potential going on for the two of them that it's hard to be certain about anything between them, especially if the show decides not to touch on that potential in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

I for one think he's a big old jerk store... why? because.. HE's going to take Twilight! ahhh! I cant let that happen! If it was one of the other mane six yeah I would be freaking the hell out still!

It's like come on dude there are a lot of ponies out there pick one but the mane 6 is off limits..... same with Celestia...

One thing I did forget to mention. I'm really, really glad Flash wasn't the extremely generic "football captain" type character. They labeled him as a "rocker" instead, and I have to respect them for that.

• Brohoof 5

Well he is definitely cannon. I can say that, since he did appear in the movie.

As for if he appears with Twi... I'm iffy there.

I'm still not sure what he'd be like, so I'd be interested, but nervous.

Is it just me or did Flash remind anyone else of Twilight brother Shining Armor just a little too much? kinda reinforced some of her issues from the wedding episode. dunno just seemed a little weird to me. if the pony incarnation of him gets a little more character development and he becomes more distinct from Shining Armor I'd be ok with that but as he is it just seems a little awkward.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind him, nor do I see anything wrong with Flash. I usually dislike it when they add new characters out of nowhere but Flash was pretty cool and he played a big part in the movie of course. I'm also pretty happy he wasn't a jock that would've turned my opinion on him ofc lol. It's also cute because you can just imagine Twilight searching through her library and reading up on books of love.

At first though, I thought it was a little weird that she blushed when she bumped into this guy who looked like her brother, Shining Armor. But that was my thoughts on the preview only. When I had watched the movie afterwards I had a sigh of relief  :lol:   

Y'know now that I think about it, Flash isn't THAT bad. Besides,some of you are over-exaggerating. Twilight had a crush. A crush. So what? It's not like she is getting married.

If you bronies thought about it from a Twilight or a woman's point of view, then you'd understand her crush. Every relationship starts like this. Twilight was attracted to him by his looks (and nothing is wrong with that because would you date someone you found ugly?), and then when he showed kindness towards her, sealing the deal. It's like some of you haven't had a crush before.

Would you date an ugly person who was very rude? Exactly.

Also, I noticed everypony is saying that Flash isn't a developed character. Hypocrite much? Who's the most "loved" pony? It's Derpy, isn't it? Derpy doesn't have a personality and wasn't developed. Yet everypony seems to love her (although I don't particularly like her).

Give him a chance. He's not that bad now that I rewatched Equestria Girls. Characters can't be developed in a few minutes. It's not like Twilight is getting married.

Ever had a crush on somebody before? How did you grow attracted to them? Looks draw you in. I had major crushes on tons of guys (and some girls :)) because I was attracted to them. Does that make me shallow? No.

When you like a girl, what do you do? You be nice to her and help her out. Flash was being genuinely helpful to Twilight and then started to like her. She didn't know anypony there. Flash was kind to her. If I met a guy like Flash, I'd probably crush on him too.

I'm not saying that he should be in the show. He could be in the show and not be major. I guess I kind of agree with RockinRarity. I ship Twixie, but Flashlight can make sense too. DoctorDerpy is extremely popular and neither character have development. Don't see anybody complaining, do you?

So stop for a minute, and think of a crush you once had, and how you fell for them. Guys are attracted to girls (and guys too <3) by their looks first and then want to get to know them. That's where personality comes in. Looks can't strengthen your relationship forever. Flash may have wanted to get to know the real Twilight. Sooner or later, you love them just for being themselves and not because she has a nice rack or he has a cute butt.

-ends rant-

Edited by FlutterDashie
  • Brohoof 2

Y'know now that I think about it, Flash isn't THAT bad. Besides,some of you are over-exaggerating. Twilight had a crush. A crush. So what? It's not like she is getting married.

If you bronies thought about it from a Twilight or a woman's point of view, then you'd understand her crush. Every relationship starts like this. Twilight was attracted to him by his looks (and nothing is wrong with that because would you date someone you found ugly?), and then when he showed kindness towards her, sealing the deal. It's like some of you haven't had a crush before.

Also, I noticed everypony is saying that Flash isn't a developed character. Hypocrite much? Who's the most "loved" pony? It's Derpy, isn't it? Derpy doesn't have a personality and wasn't developed. Yet everypony seems to love her (although I don't particularly like her).

Give him a chance. He's not that bad now that I rewatched Equestria Girls. Characters can't be developed in a few minutes. It's not like Twilight is getting married.

Ever had a crush on somebody before? How did you grow attracted to them? Looks draw you in. I had major crushes on tons of guys (and some girls :)) because I was attracted to them. Does that make me shallow? No.

When you like a girl, what do you do? You be nice to her and help her out. Flash was being genuinely helpful to Twilight and then started to like her. She didn't know anypony there. Flash was kind to her. If I met a guy like Flash, I'd probably crush on him too.

I'm not saying that he should be in the show. He could be in the show and not be major. I guess I kind of agree with RockinRarity. I ship Twixie, but Flashlight can make sense too. DoctorDerpy is extremely popular and neither character have development. Don't see anybody complaining, do you?

So stop for a minute, and think of a crush you once had, and how you fell for them. Guys are attracted to girls (and guys too <3) by their looks first and then want to get to know them. That's where personality comes in. Looks can't strengthen your relationship forever. Flash may have wanted to get to know the real Twilight. Sooner or later, you love them just for being themselves and not because she has a nice rack or he has a cute butt.

-ends rant-

Yeah right, just one question: where exactly was Flash helpful?

In just one scene where any of the huMANE 5 could have done the same thing. Even Spike, if he was human. For the rest he was there just to be flat-made love interest. And you seriously think that only because someone acts kind = love? Heck, your mind is pretty simple, i guess that everyone who acts nice is good person, is not like he just acts like that to foil you, it's not like there is that kind of people in REAL LIFE? Oh, wait...

People like Flash Sentry X Twilight just because they look cute, and that is the most materialist thing ever.

img-1752914-1-tumblr_lk2wgsHZRu1qc35m6.j

No, but seriously, pretty much what FlutterDashie said.

To those who call him a "Gary Stu," you must realize that we haven't seen much of Flash Sentry at all, and most of you are probably deeming him as such for his physical appearance alone (because, think about it, we saw him with a few friends in the movie, just like everyone else. And I'm going to state the obvious and mention how he was one of Demon Shimmer's zombies). Although Flash Sentry is not a favorable character to me, personally, he is not meant to be a serious romantic interest. He was created to look like a "pretty boy" and a nice guy to be Twilight's crush, and a tease romantic interest. Nothing more.

Also, it was mentioned that he was Sunset Shimmer's ex-boyfriend to help explain to the audience how he knew Sunset Shimmer was up to no good. Although I personally would've liked a different explanation, it still gets the point across.

However, despite what I've said, I honestly don't see the importance behind the whole FlashLight subplot in Equestria Girls. It, and Flash's character in general (because as @Azrael the alicorn said, his lone scene that could be considered helpful could've been  filled by anyone's shoes), really didn't contribute to the story much at all, despite the writers' attempt to do so with the (very brief) Twilight Sparkle framing incident.

Edited by Alkryn
  • Brohoof 1

In just one scene where any of the huMANE 5 could have done the same thing. Even Spike, if he was human. For the rest he was there just to be flat-made love interest. And you seriously think that only because someone acts kind = love? Heck, your mind is pretty simple, i guess that everyone who acts nice is good person, is not like he just acts like that to foil you, it's not like there is that kind of people in REAL LIFE? Oh, wait...

People like Flash Sentry X Twilight just because they look cute, and that is the most materialist thing ever.

Did you even read what I said? I didn't say kindness = good person. I don't even ship FlashLight. I said that Twilight crushed on him because he was genuinely kind to her. Why would he do all that for her if he was just going to hurt her. Twilight isn't dumb. If he were mean, she would have stopped talking to him. You are the one who is simple-minded. You refuse to believe that Flash is good. You are close-minded. Read the damn post before you make false accusations.

• Brohoof 1

Did you even read what I said? I didn't say kindness = good person. I don't even ship FlashLight. I said that Twilight crushed on him because he was genuinely kind to her. Why would he do all that for her if he was just going to hurt her. Twilight isn't dumb. If he were mean, she would have stopped talking to him. You are the one who is simple-minded. You refuse to believe that Flash is good. You are close-minded. Read the damn post before you make false accusations.

Why should Twilight get a crush when someone is kind? I can understand being friend, but love? That is kind of stretch, at least IMO. And you didn't understand my point.

You asked who had a crush in real life, and i reported that just cause someone acts nice it dosen't mean that is flawless like Flash Sentry was made. Is when you get to know a person better that you really find out if they are more that meets the eye. I, for my experience, can tell you that crush is pretty childish thing, and that Twilight is too smart to fall for that.

img-1752914-1-tumblr_lk2wgsHZRu1qc35m6.j

No, but seriously, pretty much what FlutterDashie said.

To those who call him a "Gary Stu," you must realize that we haven't seen much of Flash Sentry at all, and most of you are probably deeming him as such for his physical appearance alone (because, think about it, we saw him with a few friends in the movie, just like everyone else. And I'm going to state the obvious and mention how he was one of Demon Shimmer's zombies). Although Flash Sentry is not a favorable character to me, personally, he is not meant to be a serious romantic interest. He was created to look like a "pretty boy" and a nice guy to be Twilight's crush, and a tease romantic interest. Nothing more.

Also, it was mentioned that he was Sunset Shimmer's ex-boyfriend to help explain to the audience how he knew Sunset Shimmer was up to no good. Although I personally would've liked a different explanation, it still gets the point across.

However, despite what I've said, I honestly don't see the importance behind the whole FlashLight subplot in Equestria Girls. It, and Flash's character in general (because as @Azrael the alicorn said, his lone scene that could be considered helpful could've been  filled by anyone's shoes), really didn't contribute to the story much at all, despite the writer's attempt to do so with the (very brief) Twilight Sparkle framing incident.

I guess so. Just because someone looks ugly it dosen't mean that is mean. But for what we saw he IS a romantic Gary Stu. Sure, if the writer may focused a bit more into him i guess they could have made him very less flat. I don't think that the writer even had any idea of what to do with the character. The Sunset Shimmer ex-boy-friend thing is weird. They say it and is never pulled out again. Heck, we didn't even get to see Sunset getting jeleous or something like that. No wonder he is not gonna appear in the series.

• Brohoof 1

img-1638223-2-Flash_Sentry_crop.pnged68_n7_stripe_hoodie.jpg

I like his N7 jacket.

Seriously though, he seemed a bit shallow in EQG. Had a really "token boy" vibe present in lots of girl shows :lol: He just wasn't very interesting, and that's bad considering he had a thing with Twilight Sparkle, a main character.

• Brohoof 1

At first I plain old hated the guy, really everything about him I despised. Then I rewatched EQG a second time, and then I rewatched it a third time. After that I started seeing the art flowing in. By this time I've actually come around to him quite a bit. Though his human form is still a but awkward looking if you ask me. Still FlashLight is a really cute ship and I happily await more fanart of the two.

a_flash_and_a_sparkle_by_cat4lyst-d6864a

This image moved them WAY up the OTP list.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guy meets cute girl. Guy finds himself being very nice and helpful to said girl, always putting on his best face when around her. Yeah, he must be a "Gary Stu" because no guy would ever act like that.

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 1

Guy meets cute girl. Guy finds himself being very nice and helpful to said girl, always putting on his best face when around her. Yeah, he must be a "Gary Stu" because no guy would ever act like that.

No, you're right. The fact that he talk with her only few minuts at best, he just help her in one scene (where it could have been anyone else to bring the proof to the innocence of TS) and for the rest is all stares and blush stuff dosen't make him a boring character at all.

He is nice, act nice and looks nice, so he must be the perfect mate for Twilight, despite the little scenes he got.

Well he's bland serving as Twilight's "love interest" and doesn't really add anything to the plot. I'm not really a fan of him, but it's interesting what the fandom has came up with for him...

Flash might not even be Twilight's "love interest" given that Sunset has been cured. Those two may get back together, right after she wins the next Princess title but only if the school will allow her to run again. Rarity is going to win the next one and Flash will be knocking.

• Brohoof 2

Flash might not even be Twilight's "love interest" given that Sunset has been cured. Those two may get back together, right after she wins the next Princess title but only if the school will allow her to run again. Rarity is going to win the next one and Flash will be knocking.

Interesting theory, but they are seniors and will be graduating and heading off to college, so no more princess titles for anyone to win.

Flash may not even like someone just because they have the princess title. Even with Sunset being reformed he may not want to date her again. A horrible ex changing for the better does not always make it acceptable to get back together.

But, as I said in another thread, this is all speculation and headcanon. None of this can be proven true or false. All I am here to do is tell you that your headcanon is just headcanon and should not be proclaimed as truth.

He was mainly referring to the part where Flash was helping Twilight up her feet after she got away from the crowd of students after the bell. And I think most particularly when he helped Twilight clear her name when Luna was "interrogating" her. The question is why would he do that? I think most people are complaining about the fact that instance of him helping Twilight served much to her convenience. But what if, being her ex-bf, Flash knew Sunset Shimmer well enough to know exactly what kind of devious plan she was up to and decided he didn't want to see anyone else take a dip because of her? His actions make complete sense when you think of it that way imo.

Why should Twilight get a crush when someone is kind? I can understand being friend, but love? That is kind of stretch, at least IMO. And you didn't understand my point.

First off, why should someone not have a crush on another because they're kind to them? People develop a crush for may reasons, but I think when someone else is kind to them, that makes them far more attractive on top of looking cute or dressing well. Secondly, developing a crush is more akin to an infatuation or extreme interest rather than outright being in love. Twilight's certainly not in love with Flash, but she is really interested in him and thinks very highly of him to the extent where she wants to be close to him. Being one of those people from that world who has been kind to her and gotten her out of a tight fix, I find that it makes sense.

• Brohoof 1