Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you like MLP?

Harmony Spark

The age old question I know, but I was recently chatting with a guy, who was very unfamiliar with the fandom, and he ask "why do you like MLP? I'm curious. it's an interesting think to like." So I replied:

Besides the great great writing, great voice acting, great comedy and great animation. I personally, really like how the show can take very mature themes like anxiety, fear, jealously, revenge, depression, addiction, insanity, over-working, etc. And compresses and simplifies them enough, that both children and adults can relate to them, understand and learn from the message that each episode presents about those themes.

There's probably been a topic like this with a similar question, but I want to know your guys opinion?

Why the hell are you still watching that ridiculous show, made for little girls?

Edited by DYLZAL
  • Brohoof 1

The age old question I know, but I was recently chatting with a guy, who was very unfamiliar with the fandom, and he ask "why do you like MLP? I'm curious. it's an interesting think to like." So I replied:

Besides the great great writing, great voice acting, great comedy and great animation. I personally, really like how the show can take very mature themes like anxiety, fear, jealously, revenge, depression, addiction, insanity, over-working, etc. And compresses and simplifies them enough, that both children and adults can relate to them, understand and learn from the message that each episode presents about those themes.

There's probably been a topic like this with a similar question, but I want to know your guys opinion?

Why the hell are you still watching that ridiculous show, made for little girls?

I man still watching this show the same reason I became a brony, its such a amazing show that teaches morals and the value of friendship you don't really see that type of stuff anymore and before I became a brony I was a rebellious ass hole and I was always angry or depressed and the show made me feel... happy more social and understanding and I've made many friends from it its just such a great community here to full of awesome people that are caring and will lend a hand in any time of need.

I guess I'm still here because its just great and its so easy to relate to the charictors and lessons that the show represents.

• Brohoof 4

Because I like good cartoons, and this show isn't a good cartoon...It's a great cartoon!

It's got well-developed and likeable characters with interesting personalities, some really great animation, a pretty simplistic but good-looking art style, great voice acting and wonderful music, some really well-presented morals, and some good comedy. There's nothing this show really does all that wrong in my eyes. Every aspect of it is either good or great and even sometimes downright amazing.

Sure. There are a few problems here and there. A bad episode or two, a song that doesn't quite match up to the others, or a silly little continuity error every now and then. But none of it has been bad enough to make me stop enjoying the show. I like every single episode. Even the ones I know are filled with problems are still enjoyable in some manner. The show makes me smile.

The community also factors in. Sure, we've got a few bad apples. Sure not everything we produce is golden. But I've seen tons of friendly and intelligent people in this fandom. More so than any other. Not to mention all the great fanfics, animations, songs, artwork, games and other projects this community has created.

A better question would be: "What reason do I have to not like this show for little girls?"

Edited by BasementPrincess
  • Brohoof 5

I like the show because it teaches kids how to cooperate with their friends in dire situations. It also teaches life lessons, such as being nice to the people around you and never judge a book by it's cover. 

Sure. There are a few problems here and there. A bad episode or two, a song that doesn't quite match up to the others, or a silly little continuity error every now and then. But none of it has been bad enough to make me stop enjoying the show. I like every single episode. Even the ones I know are filled with problems are still enjoyable in some manner. The show makes me smile.  

Yeah, there are a few songs and episodes I kinda disliked.

• Brohoof 1

If what was expected,

Became what always was,

And if what was predicted

Always occurred,

When what enjoyment would life hold?

The world needs to be reminded that practice and theory are different. If the world doesn't learn this lesson, then the world would be most boring, indeed. So that is what a simply action, demonstrating a tear away from conformity, can hold. And in this circumstance, does.

• Brohoof 1

i couldnt have said it better myself honestly.

besides the facts that you stated, it´s also just a welcome change for me to watch something what is just really light-hearted without any sort of violence or "mean spirit" in it.

Well because...I like it just as some adults watch Spongebob a lot of grown females collect or even watch the show of the previous generations (mainly G1) 

so yes I watch it because I like it in general it's heartwarming pretty funny and just makes me happy 

so yeah.

DAMN IT! Should of known that was coming!

Should have* ;)

Of course it was coming. Plots are fantastic, especially town hall-annihilating ones.

Edited by Derp My Life
  • Brohoof 3

Well, I think the notion of a show made for little girls or little boys is essentially dying out. Boys can like ponies and little animals just as much as girls can like giant robots and super saiyans.

In the end if something is good it will get the attentions of anyone regardless of sex, age, or whatever. I watch MLP for the same reasons I am watching Game of Thrones. The writing is good, the characters are great, the world & lore are thought provoking, and the music is excellent.

Really, what's not to love?

• Brohoof 2

Because it has better characters of my own gender that I can relate to than the majority of "adult" media.

It's also a good show all-around, and there's also the fact that I'll never grow up. I have watched cartoons/animation all of my life, and I still enjoy them, so why in the world would I stop now? Especially since I flat out don't like many of the TV shows that are supposed to appeal to my age and above. =/

• Brohoof 1

I watch MLP for the same reasons I am watching Game of Thrones.

Great comparisson.  I often tell people my all time favorite show is a tie between GoT and MLP.  It's true, but I also kind of like comparing them like that because I think it might help to dispell any stereotypes or misunderstandings that bronies must only like cute, colorful cartoons.  I like to point out to folks that people can like all sorts of things, and be very diverse.  I love both shows, and they're about as far apart as you can get.

In answer to the question, I watch MLP because of all the reasons already listed in this thread, but above all, because it makes me happy.

• Brohoof 2

My six year old neice loves Transformers. Take that gender specific marketing. :D

My interest in the show is completely a package deal (VA, animation, music, theme, story, fan works, community) and each aspect can result in hundreds of posts alone so I'll leave that be. That really isn't the question anyway, I suppose. So why do I like a show that is targeted for younger children? Well, for starters I grew up loving animation of all forms. Disney, Saturday morning fare, after school programs. I had the usual suspects like Transformers, He-Man, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Inhumanoids, etc. I would like to say that I never grew out of them, but that isn't really the truth. I almost did.

Funny, I mentioned this last week to @Simon in his ask thread, but I'll regurgitate. In the late 80's I found my tastes in entertainment changing -- I would have said 'maturing'. I wasn't as excited as I used to be while watching the exploits of Scrooge McDuck, Donatello, and the like. Cartoons started to feel hollow and devoid of real power. Complex narrative in film and literature is where I found my interests moving toward. In my own mind I was growing up, and ready to put childish things away as the verse says. Upward and onward to deeper pastures where my intellectual and emotional side could be appropriately challenged.  

It was during this transition that I saw an episode of a cartoon that I thought epitomized how I started to feel. It was Alvin and the Chipmunks. Truth be told I was only half paying attention, my mind drifting off to other activities that I wanted to do that day. The episode was called 'Cookie Chomper III', and the general jist of it was that the boys find a stray kitten and hide it from Dave who happens to be allergic. Pretty basic concept and any 5 year old could tell you how it would end, right?

:wau:

Not on you life. Somehow, as fate would have it, I paid attention during the third act. I was not prepared at all for how the episode resolved. I won't fully spoil it (I'm sure that you can read between the lines though).  By the time the outro song rolled I was speechless, and exhibiting other symptoms of emotional expense. That episode was like a shot of epinephrine to the heart. Never again did I judge any animated piece as below me and my sophisticated tastes. I took back out my childish things and set fire to that damn box I tried to put them in. I feel in love with animated story telling again. I have never looked back.

I was not a teen at that time, but since then I refused to dismiss a show out of hand because it was 'too childish' or 'lacking of depth' in others' eyes. My interest in MLP has taken an oddly long time to develop, but it was because of my view on animation that I never out and out dismissed the show.

TL;DR

That is why I like this show. Because I learned as a pre-teen that you can never outgrow a great experience regardless of your age.

• Brohoof 1

The notion about it being for little girls is just stupid. I hate it when people say that, cause to be honest girls and boys nowadays can like anything that they like. But I'm getting off topic here,

we all grew up with cartoons in our lives...at least some of us have, and you just don't see many shows today that you actually going to like (cartoon wise). SpongeBob while good just gets soooo old. Many cartoons now I just find stupid or just plain offensive. When a show meant for 5 year olds teaches them about...certain things they shouldn't be exposed to at that point in time then I just hate it.

MLP is able to tackle these types of things without coming across as bad for the kids. And let's not forget about the fact that you fall in love with the characters, the awesome script (most of the time), and the songs. Heck you get a blast from the past that still appeals to you. I mean Sonic, Powerpuff girls, and Phineas and Ferb are still good shows but they don't appeal to me anymore because they keep it to a younger demographic.

I'm just going to start off by putting this here regarding the title:

IdEm3lE.png

Then go on to say: High heels were originally made for butchers! So the blood would not seep into their shoes. So, that means when I wear high heels it is just as weird that men like MLP. Plus everything OP said.

Edited by Naomii

I'm not much of a G4 fan, so may I talk about G1?

Ahem...

It had a lot of effort put into it. Everyone behind the show/specials strived to make all of the viewers fall in love with it. What is there to say about it? It's amazing. Better than Friendship is Magic, even. The dangerous plots always took the ponies on some incredible adventure where they always meet some sort of villain. The writers always sneaked in some comedy, emotion, and even suspense at the perfect moments. The lessons that the writers came up with are amazing; in G1, the lessons almost blew me out of my seat - because I realized, kids can actually learn from that, it took real-life problems that kids often struggle with! For me, most of the "lessons" in G4 are often forgettable, and most kids in real-life won't learn from it because it isn't relatable; this goes for some, if not most of the lessons in G4 (that's just my opinion). Creativity is also a very big part in this; the plots, villains, and adventures were incredibly creative. Ponyland being turned into glass? Yes, that's creative. The "heart" of Ponyland being distrubed, causing everything in Ponyland to go hay-wire? Yup, that's awesome to watch (not to mention it's creative). A purple goo that's not only covering and ruining the ponies land, but it always ruins the mood of any pony it touches? Yup, that's awesome and creative.

The show/specials isn't the only good thing about G1, though. The G1 toys were AMAZING! Most of you Bronies only watch the G4 show, while thinking the G4 toys are bad. Which is a little odd, considering My Little Pony is a toy franchise. Anyway, back to the G1 toys; they were actually hand crafted. The crafters put every tiny little detail into the pony, and it ultimately worked out, because they are to die for! Not only do fans of G1 have fun watching the show, they have fun collecting the hand crafted toys. I also want to mention that G1 had good variations of the toys. Unlike G4, which has stupid variations like EQG, Ponymania, Pinkie Pie's Boutique, and Rainbow Power. G1 actually has good variations; Colorswirl Ponies? Great. Flutter Ponies? Great. Sea Ponies? Great. Brush 'N Grow Ponies? Super pretty! Baby Ponies? Great. Twice As Fancy Ponies? Great. So as I mentioned, the show isn't the only good part of G1, the toys are too!

• Brohoof 1

Thing is, if a show is well done on all fronts, such as the writing and the characterization and the storylines, then it doesn't matter who the intended audience is, it becomes a good show for anyone to watch. MLP has managed to become that kind of a show.

Pfft little girls. 

"You're dead if you only aim at kids. Adults are kids grown up anyway." -Walt Disney

I like to believe Lauren and the writers wished the show to be enjoyable by anyone, not just children. 

Anyway I watch it cuz it's awesome. The animation is awesome. The voice acting is awesome. The stories are awesome. It's cute, fun, enjoyable, funny and always puts a smile on my face when I watch it. Not only that but the fans are awesome too. So much fan work it's outstanding, and of good quality. Many fans are also very funny and caring like all you guys! :D Being is this fandom for almost 3 years now I've seen a lot, had many many laughs, had many good times, met so many wonderful people, and I've learned a lot from this fandom too. That's why I will continue to support the show and the fandom until the very end.

• Brohoof 4

What got me were the characters. They're so complex and relatable I found myself wanting to know more about them. It's like a really good book, you can't stop halfway or you feel like you cheated yourself and the characters. I'm stuck between knowing it has to end and wishing it didn't, but I personally can't stop reading until the story's over.

Because it's a good show, and I like it. Does there need to be a whole scientific equation behind why? img-2961959-1-mlp-tseriously.png

No, no there most certainly does not. While I'm a digger of things and love to analyze more than I probably should -- there is a lot to be said about just sitting back and enjoying the experience. That is not just for MLP, it goes for everything. I highly respect that.

• Brohoof 2