Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anybody here actually ridden a Horse and/or Pony before?

Sholem Itzhak

Unfortunately no. I have always wanted to ride a horse, but never had the opportunity. There was a guy who lived near my home one time who raised horses. I would always see them when making trips to Lafayette. Such majestic creatures.  :catface: 

Yeah I've been about 5 times: first time was when I was about 5 on Holiday in Cornwall, and the last time I went was about a year or two ago: I even wore my MLP T shirt and nobody seemed to notice xD

I rather like horse back riding: I went last time inspired by the show, although I wasn't given a pony only a horse and it didn't feel very 'brony' it felt more like I was a cowboy or a knight or something in my imagination lol

I have 3 that I ride all the time, I love my horses! I can actually shoot my bow off my horse and be pretty accurate, I sometimes do horseback hunts :) Those are tons of fun

Edited by Stealth
  • Brohoof 1

My grandpa owns a ranch up in Texas, and I've ridden his horses a few times, at least. He even has one named Sweetie Belle, but it's a total coincidence. He doesn't even know MLP: FiM exists.

I don't like riding horses that much though. I get to thinking about what might happen if I slipped off and got trampled, or if there was a situation where I slipped off of the horse and then my foot would still be wedged uncomfortably in the stirrup while it dragged me along the ground. That's never happened, but I'm just paranoid is all. I've watched the Final Destination movies too many times xD

I wish! I love horses, even though I haven't actually been around them all that much. I would love to learn to ride, but I don't know if that will happen.

I've ridden an elephant and a camel, though ... haha.

• Brohoof 1

We tried to bring in some mini-horses last year to our Con, but the hotel wouldn't let us because of "insurance issues" -- I think they were afraid we'd leave pony-poop in the parking lot.

That being said, I used to ride and I've friends who still ride and show, including show-jumping.  Florida is well known for its horses. 

That's marvelous to hear that you tried to get some mini-horses at your Brony convention; I think you should try to do it again for another convention. As a suggestion, perhaps you should plan a future convention to take place outdoors at a park, nature preserve, or anyplace similar that has no problem with the presence of horses and ponies.

I think an outdoor Brony convention which includes Horseback Riding and/or Pony Drawn Carts and/or Horse Drawn Covered Wagon rides (such as this:

) and/or other real Equine related exhibits and activities would be praised by Bronies alike and would be well remembered and cherished. I’m certain children would also love those outdoor activities very much. :lol:

If you do decide to take my advice and try to plan abother Brony convention with real Equine related exhibits and activities, I would love to hear all about your efforts. :)

• Brohoof 1

That's marvelous to hear that you tried to get some mini-horses at your Brony convention; I think you should try to do it again for another convention. As a suggestion, perhaps you should plan a future convention to take place outdoors at a park, nature preserve, or anyplace similar that has no problem with the presence of horses and ponies.

I think an outdoor Brony convention which includes Horseback Riding and/or Pony Drawn Carts and/or Horse Drawn Covered Wagon rides (such as this:

) and/or other real Equine related exhibits and activities would be praised by Bronies alike and would be well remembered and cherished. I’m certain children would also love those outdoor activities very much. :lol:

If you do decide to take my advice and try to plan abother Brony convention with real Equine related exhibits and activities, I would love to hear all about your efforts. :)

Yes, I am sure people would enjoy it, but perhaps not a whole convention, as those usually involve panels and dances, and I don't think the two would go well together. However, maybe at one of our next meet-ups or fundraisers we could do this. I'll put out a poll on our FB and see how the response is.

Thanks!

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've ridden some. ^.^

Once, it was under constant vigilance by someone, considering the horse wasn't exactly 100% tame. It went reasonably well even though I didn't do anything (not even steer it or anything). However, I was kinda bothered by that constantly flopping thing between the legs. ._.

The second time, I was handed the reins and could move it and what-not. It went well, except for when it was spooked for some reason I assume is not my fault. It went off-road at a faster pace (not too fast, though), but I managed to get it back on road. That part was quite the thrill, in my opinion well needed considering it was kinda boring.

But yeah, when something happens it's a thrill. When nothing happens it's, eh, still okay.

Well, yeah. Im from texas!

Lol JK. It doesn't count cause i was a kid and an adult was leading the horse of course. when i rode a horse ;)

If i ever have the time and money, i would actually love to buy some property outside city limits, take riding lessons, and get a horse. I also realize they are expensive and require alot of maintainence/experience, so its unlikely to ever happen.

Edited by crazitaco

Well, yeah. Im from texas!

Lol JK. It doesn't count cause i was a kid and an adult was leading the horse of course. when i rode a horse ;)

If i ever have the time and money, i would actually love to buy some property outside city limits, take riding lessons, and get a horse. I also realize they are expensive and require alot of maintainence/experience, so its unlikely to ever happen.

Well as far as I'm concerned, doing that all by yourself would be expensive and require a lot of responsibility and effort; however, I wouldn't recommend anyone do anything like that alone anyway. As a tiny suggestion, perhaps what you'd want to do instead is get together with other people who also have the same vision as you do (purchasing property, acquiring a couple of horses and take riding lesions) and from your own Cooperative in which you and your partners acquire an Equestrian property that you all share and tend to your horses together (instead of alone).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thank you everybody (and "every-pony") for making this my most discussed subject on these Forums yet. I’m so very ecstatic to see many Bronies interested in riding horses and/or ponies and/or have fond memories of it. :D:yay:

I’d like to no continue this discussion by asking everyone a new and related question in a new subject: http://mlpforums.com/topic/81359-who-would-like-to-try-riding-a-ponyhorse-drawn-vehicle/

Looking forward to seeing everyone there. If you haven’t shared your thoughts on this subject yet, feel free to do so (I want to see this subject keep going as well). Be certain to also check out my other posts as well (such as this one: http://mlpforums.com/topic/79246-idea-a-star-for-mlpfim-on-the-hollywood-walk-of-fame/).

“Stay ‘Pony’ My Friends.” ;)

Edited by Sholem Itzhak

Yeah, my sister used to be part of the girl scouts and for one of their activities/outings they went horseback riding and I got to go because I was too young to stay home alone by myself at the time. It was quite the experience and I'd love to own horses of my own someday  :D

I have not ridden a pony, but I rode a horse at a YMCA camp once when I was like 12. It was okay. It wasn't my favorite thing to do, but I had fun at the time. That could just be because I'm not a big on animals, though. 

Oh definitely  ^_^ . At the age of 5 me and my bro and my mom along with our friends went to this zoo and the zoo has this horse ride. I can still remember it all clearly, I chose a black horse -- I love black horses. But I just made it walk instead of galloping, not that I don't know how to make it gallop, it's just I was too afraid... and not to mention whipping the poor horse  :(

Yes I have ridden horses. :) I had a few trips inside a fenced off area on a pony or a miniature horse as a kid. An aunt and uncle of mine own a farm, but they didn't keep horses themselves. However a neighbor of theirs had horses and I was invited to ride Tonka a few times. He didn't trust me at first but we soon became good buddies.

I should add though that I don't trust horses in general. Stallions in particular have a mean streak and will bite unprovoked. But that is simply their nature whether we like it or not. One of the first things you learn on a farm is that all unneutered male livestock have aggressive tendencies.

I also got to ride on an elephant as a child. :)