Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How To Prevent The Internet From Taking Over Your Life: A Collection Of Tips

NomDeSpite

I remember when I was 13 and I stayed inside literally ALL Summer and say on the computer

I did not leave my house once to do anything social.

My parents even restricted my time on the internet. However, when Summer ended, I felt like a complete idiot!

Today, I'm over any kind of internet addiction XD

I'm 19 and I know when enough is enough,

Even when I'm in my own, I still sometimes get the sense that I've been on the computer far too long and need to go do something else. Guess its residual from when my parents only let me use the computer for an hour a day (dear god it was horrible).

Also, and I think most people would agree, once you get a smartphone, its damn near impossible to go back. Its just so incredibly convenient. Need GPS? Smartphone. Want to go to a movie after work but don't want to drive all the way there only to find out nothing you like is playing? Smartphone. Some piece of info is really bugging you and you need to look it up or go insane? Smartphone. Need to take a note but don't have pen/paper on you? Smartphone. Need to post on MLPF but don't want to boot up your computer because you're leaving in a few minutes? Smartphone.

I just don't think I could willingly give up that much convenience.

Also, and I think most people would agree, once you get a smartphone, its damn near impossible to go back. Its just so incredibly convenient. Need GPS? Smartphone. Want to go to a movie after work but don't want to drive all the way there only to find out nothing you like is playing? Smartphone. Some piece of info is really bugging you and you need to look it up or go insane? Smartphone. Need to take a note but don't have pen/paper on you? Smartphone. Need to post on MLPF but don't want to boot up your computer because you're leaving in a few minutes? Smartphone.

I just don't think I could willingly give up that much convenience.

Smartphones are a powerful, powerful tool. But their existence makes so any things easier, not considering their potential as huge time wasters. If you're lost, you now have a free map at your hands. You can get reviews on local restaurants, figure out new places to eat. You can take notes anywhere without pen and paper. I think the important thing is to refrain from using the smartphone wastefully, as in, for stuff that doesn't have an actual purpose like games when you have more important things to get to.

By extension, the Internet's a powerful tool in general, you just need to know the times to use it and what to use it for. Only do 'fun' stuff when you have downtime to burn.

I try to remind myself that I have an actual life outside of the internet, despite how boring and simple it is. And if I'm unhappy about my own life, instead of spending my time on the internet, I try to remind myself of that I'm in control of my own life and I can decide what I want to do despite my circumstances and life. 

There are many different ways to make the real life interesting. I think that a good way is by trying new experinces ( for example travel around the world )

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of ironic that this is on the internet

Not really. I did recommend people print this list out in my first post. Also, posting it on the internet guarantees that people who use the internet too much and want to cut down can see it. ;)

I'm bumping this thread because I found an article I found that I really like. Joshua Fields Millburn, writing for the website TheMinimalists.com, removed all internet service from his apartment and now claims that "Killing The Internet At Home Is The Most Productive Thing I've Ever Done". He still uses it, just in public places like the library, or where there's Wi-Fi.  Here are some of the benefits he lists:

• My time at home is more peaceful now, as if my home is a sanctuary.
  • I do more meaningful things with my time.
  • I have more time to read.
  • I have more time to write.
  • I have more time to think.
  • I have more time for friends.
  • I have more time to exercise.
  • I have more time to walk.
  • I am less distracted.
  • I am less stressed.
  • My thoughts are clearer and less fragmented.
  • I no longer crave the internet like I once did.
  • My mind is more focused on meaningful things.
  • I don’t have an internet bill, and that saves me money

He says, quite bluntly, "you don't need the internet at your house" and unless your job requires it, that's probably true.

• 10 months later...

This is a very helpful thread. I somewhat struggle with this issue and I want to partake in more activities than just spending time on the Internet.

I would love to have a job, but I haven't received any callbacks for the places I've applied to (I always check to see if they're hiring before I apply). *Sigh* I guess I'll keep trying.

Oh my gosh, I HATE it when people use their phones while I'm talking with them. It's like they care more about their stupid game than an actual conversation. Use your phone when you're not with someone please!