Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If My Little Pony: FiM looked like G1, would you still watch it?

NotInUse

If My Little Pony: FiM Looked Like G1, would you still watch it?  

52 users have voted

1. 1. Would you you watch MLP: FiM if it looked like G1?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Explain)

Let's say it's the same thing, just that the ponies look exactly like G1 (Generation 1) ponies and the show has the same video quality as G1 (Generation 1) and sound quality as G1 (Generation 1), would you still watch the show?

I personally think I would, I don't really think quality is what makes something great  ;)

• Brohoof 1

If it's still the same show but with a different style to it, I'll still watch it since it will still how show how I got into the show in the first place. The storylines and the characters got me into the show.

This is like videogames: the graphics doesn't make them bad. I watch it for the plot, like I play videogames for the story, the gameplay, etc. But I think G4 animation style is so much better.

Edited by Lugubrious Pony

It would probably have made it way more difficult to get into in the first place.

I FiM's writing very much, but it's all the little things that make it truly spectacular. Everyone at every level of the production has done their jobs so well that FiM is definitely much greater than the sum of it's parts.

Probably not. I am not a huge fan of the animation style. The character design is all that appealing either, they look more like real horses than ponies. Since I am an equestrian, I'll need to keep my two worlds separate, I might start talking to the horses I ride like they can understand me! But seriously though, part of why I like friendship is magic is because of the great animation and quality. If you take that away then that is one less brony.

I say yes lightly. I probably would watch it but not like it as much. There a 3 reasons I am a brony, 1 I like the characters and how they all have an individual personality, 2 I like the plot lines and such. 3 I think the damnation is fantastic! So if it looked like G1 I wouldn't like it as much but would probably still watch it.

NOPE.

Why? Well, the actual appearance of the ponies is what got me to watch the first couple of episodes, the visual and audio quality would be severely outdated, and a general eyesore to look at, and if everything looked like G1 from the get-go I don't think Bronies would exist.

I don't really think quality is what makes something great  ;)

Wot.

I can wrap this one up in one small sentence:

Hell to the no, son.

But i'll add more. 

I watch the show because the characters are fucking adorable. Not because of the other crap. Granted there are some humorous moments and whatnot, but for the most part, it's how adorable the lil' fuckers were that drew me into it. So yeah, brah. If the show looked like that namby-pamby nimby bullshit G1, I wouldn't touch it with the front of a 92' Geo Metro.

Notice, it's not the animation of G1 that makes me want to say "fuck off", it's the way the lil' fuckers looked. I couldn't envision one of those ugly things riding a shopping cart downhill at 400mph.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, maybe. One of the first things that I liked about this show when I watched the first episode was the animation. The animation was surprisingly good, I thought. It also appealed to the eye.

I don't really care for the G1 Pony designs. I could with it though, assuming the quality of the show (plot, voice acting, songs) was just as good.

Ehh ... probably not, knowing me. I mean I'm not one to judge based on appearance (like with video games for example), but the art style/appearance of the characters is one of the bigger reasons as to why I was drawn into MLP:FiM in the first place, the ponies just looked so ... so adorable! And I'm personally really not a fan of how the older ponies looked. Just my thoughts. ;)

Yes, I would I actually like G1 though not nearly as much as G4 and animation while it can help is not everything the story and characters are what ultimately drive a show.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

Likely not. If I did, I don't really see myself ever calling myself a fan.

The art, animation, flow... so much of the visual connection is what sold me on the show. Even characterization is portrayed pretty heavily through the character's movements on-screen. Briefly scanning over G1 vids... very briefly, the ponies look interchangable. Their designs and movement don't seem to really have a lot of character. G4 has it in spades.

Pinkie has bounciness to her animation. Apple jack is relaxed and has a few 'southern cowpony' bits. RD is confident, exaggerated, and active in both attitude and movement. Fluttershy is slow, closed, and dainty. Rarity has poise, and often utilizes movements that fall in line with her dramatic and feminine personality. Twilight, even, is expressive in appearance in ways I don't think I'll find in G1.

Losing the sound too would just add another large fissure into it for me.

The voices in G1 annoy me; they're really high-pitched, couldn't hear a tune, and while skimming I've even seen a scene where three of the ponies were supposedly crying.

Let me explain how they portrayed this. Two or three high-pitched "waa waah whaaa" sounded off messily while the three ponies, eyes partially lidded and downcast (and no tears to be seen), occasionally bobbed their heads or looked to each other. Their mouths didn't even move in the least, despite supposedly wailing and crying.

k9j85y.png

Yet G4 can accurately portray emotions in such a greater level of detail, and when they cry, their mouths actually move dang it.

I'm serious about the scene I took the G1 pic from; they just looked around while disembodied voices cried.

Animation quality + sound quality of G1 would ruin the show for me.

The G4 scene here... they don't look just sad, but genuinely hurt! Meaning, even variations of sadness work awesomely in G4, and even out of context you can kinda see it.

Out of context, G1 looks like the ponies are getting scolded, or watching something unpleasant/sad going on.

Even if I loved the show for the characters alone, I feel the characters would be ruined for me if they're portrayed through G1. If I loved it for the story, well, stories are often told through the interactions and impact on characters still. I'd dislike Romeo and Juliet if they were both selfish, annoying cretins, and the star-crossed lovers or end to fueding families through bloodshed would be fairly irrelevant to me because I couldn't bring myself to care a lot about these people or their world.

I love G4 for its characters, plot, and animation/sound, suffice to say.

**I'm sorry if anyone takes this badly, honest!

I think I'm just spoiled on G4, and can't really appreciate G1 without seeing all that I feel would be lost.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...