Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to know the date of your death?

GhostPony750

epic banana  

68 users have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Continue to live normaly.
    • Greedily grab the 50 million and die in pain seven years later.
    • Neither (trelele)

(edited)

To be completely honest, my 18 year old self would probably not believe I'd even live to be 25 (well, she didn't believe it, actually). So if you guaranteed myself at 18 seven more years of life and money, well, there'd be no way I could say no.

Perhaps that sounds humorous, but I'm being serious. I don't know what I'd say if I knew I was going to live to be 25 naturally. Actually, I would say no... Because I've been given a future event to look forward to. I have to live a few more years.

Edited by Envy

(edited)

Money has no hold upon my life. It's materialistic anyways (so why die for something that cannot follow you?)

As far as the question in general...it's a hard decision to make:

If I was told the day of my death:

I would probably become very very depressed because I have not come to terms with the simple fact that I am going to die eventually anyways. But I think I'd come to terms much quicker if I knew the day and after  I get over such hurdle;

I would not take every moment with my husband for granted which is so easy for me to do. I would cherish EVERYTHING!

I would do all I can to live ALL I can. I think I would treat everyday like the last day of my basically.  I would do everything  I could to seek solace in God. I would read all I could, learn all I could and basically carry the cross PROPERLY.

If I was not told the day of my death (i.e. right now):

I will always struggle with the fact I'm going to die eventually, I will always struggle with my thoughts on God, I will take the time I have with my husband for granted and not treat him the best I possibly can some days. I will always live in fear, but I'd be ignorant and thus thus my happiness is based in my ignorance.

Actually, upon further reflection through typing this post...I would want to know...because life would be worth living, and I wouldn't have to fear the unknown of that inevitable day....

Edited by Treble Bolt

If you've heard about the Nocebo effect, you'll know that this whole "knowing when you're going to die" thing is really a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm going to stay ignorant about when I croak because I think that'll ultimately be better for me physically and emotionally.

This is a paradoxical question indeed. Let's consider this. Would your date of death change if you knew your date of death? For death can occur in so many different ways. Would your method of death change depending on how you reacted on this knowledge?

• Brohoof 1

Not Discord's proposition, no.

One of my main life goals is to somehow bargain with God, so that I get to live until 1) Equestria, the Poke'mon world, or both are recreated on some other planet, or 2) I reach the age of 2287 (this would kill me in 4287, which is my lucky number), whichever comes first. In the realm of reality, I'd prefer not to know the actual date of my death, though I have a funny feeling I'm going to go to college in four years and forget to eat.

(edited)

People who don't have money don't believe that money doesn't make you happy.  It helps certainly but my designer clothes don't hide emptiness inside.  Although I am long past the age being discussed here, if I was younger, I still would not take the road to riches and a timed and painful death. 

Interesting that painful is a part of this equation though.  I wonder how many people would choose the money if they knew that on a designated day they would just fall asleep and never wake up and there would be no pain at all?

But I like most feel that if I knew the date I would obsess on it constantly.  I already think how fleeting time is every year when Christmas comes again.  I know I don't have that many Christmases left in the grand scheme of things.  I think I'd rather not know.

Edited by Diva Pony

This question is asking for a generic answer. Surprisingly, 8 to 33 people would take the money!

I'd live normally (unless my life permits me from living past 25 or 30). I don't need 50 million to be happy. I would only fear every passing second of my life knowing my death is nearing, rather than enjoy the money I have.

Seven years of my life left for $50,000,000? BUCK YEAH.

I'd rather have seven amazing years than 60 mediocre years.

What if you fall in love (or are in love) before you are 25? Would you really care that you have all that money? I say this as an example since love is something I highly regard. Edited by Super80 Wolf

On 2014-03-09 at 9:20 PM, Super80 Wolf said:

What if you fall in love (or are in love) before you are 25? Would you really care that you have all that money? I say this as an example since love is something I highly regard.

What if you're celibate anyway?

Edited by Even Evil Has Standards

Knowing the date of your death would most likely be counter-intuitive. Most people, when time got close to that date, would start to panic, looking for some way to prolong their life.

Someone who didn't take that deal, however, and was approaching the time of their death, would be blissfully ignorant.

• 5 years later...

Dropping dead at 25 wouldn't be a great option, even if I did get 50 mil from Discord to spend. There's a lot of life beyond 25 and whether it's electrifying or mundane, there's still lots to be learned and experienced. I would like to know the date I'm slated to check out, but I would hope it's beyond mid-twenties. 

And what about those who are already 25 or beyond? Do they still get the money? How about half the cash? I wouldn't be picky! 

• Brohoof 1

it's a matter what you can do in the time between, I personally think that would be useful and knowing that you have an exit signal and it will pressure you to do as best as you can so you can go with no regrets 

• 2 years later...

While that is a lot of money 25 is too soon to die.Not only that it would be a painful death. I’d continue to live normally. 

Now if it were to die at 25 and have a painless death I’d consider it. With it being painful and at 25, no.

• Brohoof 1