Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Whats your opinion On Silver Shill?

Mywas

What did you think of him?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike him?

• He is cool
    • He was boring

He's the worst key character. He's quite annoying at the end of the episode Leap of Faith, and doesn't have an interesting interaction with Applejack, unlike the other characters (Fluttershy and Seabreeze for example.)

• Brohoof 1

I could say he was the least interesting character of all the rainbow key givers. Kinda needed more screen time, but at least a new VA joined the pony world XD, who happens to be the voice of Megaman in the animated series (love it, or hate it, that's how I knew of the franchise in the first place  B) ). He's also the father of Sweetie's VA

• Brohoof 1

He was really boring, and didn't have much interaction with AJ compared to the rest of the key givers

I could say he was the least interesting character of all the rainbow key givers. Kinda needed more screen time, but at least a new VA joined the pony world XD, who happens to be the voice of Megaman in the animated series (love it, or hate it, that's how I knew of the franchise in the first place  B) ). He's also the father of Sweetie's VA

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT! BUNANAAAA! MEGAMAN!

I am neutral, I don't think his character was at all "boring" as a lot of people are saying, I am not saying he is the most exciting character either but I don't think he was intended to be. Silver Shill was intended to be your average work a day pony that got involved in the Flimflam brothers latest scam as an Applejack fan I have often pointed out that an average character dosen't always mean a boring character but average characters do take a bit more time and development to stand out which is a bit more difficult to do albeit not impossible in just one episode. It didn't really get into the how and why Silver Shill got involved with the Flimflam brothers and it perhaps could have gone into more detail but I believe that Silver Shill served his purpose as a character. The Flimflam brothers got him to work for them because he wasn't the type of pony to stand out in a crowd and thus perfect for their latest scam because he could convincingly pretend to be injured and then cured on multiple occasions without anypony recognizing him thanks to this and lots of disguises. He reminds me a bit of Coco Pommel in a way because like Coco he saw ponies getting ahead through dishonest and cutthroat means and while they reacted to their situations differently with Coco not trusting anypony and Silver Shill swindling ponies they both eventually did the right thing thanks in part to Rarity and Applejack eventually doing the right thing.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I'm surprised there's so much dislike of him.  I really like him.

I find him to be a nice example of a character who's in conflict with his own weakness of will.  I couldn't help but wonder about his backstory and why he joined the Flim Flam Brothers in the first place.  And both despite his weakness of will and his subsequent overcoming of it, there's an even stronger character turnaround for him at the end compared to many of the others, which to me made the minor-character inspiration that is common to all of the key episodes quite a bit more convincing.

Oh, and Rarity had less actual interaction with Coco Pommel than AJ did with Silver Shill.  (And actually, the two are really similar in their circumstances.)

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer
  • Brohoof 3

Silver Shill felt rather dull in my opinion, but maybe he was written that way on purpose. While it would have been nice to have every single "key" character given the same treatment as Cheese Sandwich (plenty of screen time and a backstory to flesh out their character), that just seems unrealistic.

Some people have compared Shill to Coco Pommel in that both of them faced the same dilemma of watching someone get ahead through any means possible. The difference is though is that Coco's ending felt much more natural and rewarding then Shills.

Coco quit her job and gave Rarity the 1st place trophy. She also gave her speech to Rarity in such a way that it didn't feel like she was force feeding us viewers the lesson (which I'm very glad for :D).

While Shill essentially did the same thing as Coco, it's his speech to AJ that really kills it for me. It was worded very poorly and just amounts to an exposition dump of what AJ already explained early on in the episode.

Silver Shill had the potential to be an interesting key-character but I feel that he just falls flat in every way. If you want more proof, you can check out my topic on "Who are your favorite and least favorite key characters" to see what more people think of him. And not surprising, he has yet to have a single vote from anyone for being their favorite "key" character. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't dislike his character, but I'm also pretty far from saying "OMG, Silver Shill is best pone!"

He was a minor character who was there to serve the needs of the story. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not every character needs tons of fleshing out.

Not much more can really be said.

• Brohoof 1

From when AJ and Applebloom cornered him to the end of the episode I felt that he didn't really have much character outside of being a plot device for giving Applejack her key.

I'm not saying he's a bad character, there just wasn't enough to get me invested in him.

Okay, he's boring, but I put he's cool. Mostly because this dude made a bad decision, and at the end of the episode it was Applejack that helped him realize it was a bad move. Don't hate on the guy just because he didn't know he was doing wrong. Now that he knows, he's a cool dude in my book. (\

I didn't hate him but he was the worst key giver of them all. Let's say he is a genuine 'boring' character, still he didn't help the episode and I hate to say this, but instead of blaming the storyline of the episode, I blame the writing.

Silver Shill seems to be empty, so empty on the inside that he is uninsteresting to watch or care about. In these 'key' episodes, the key giver always have an important role. In this case with Silver Shill, it was the opposite, I've never thought he would give the key to Applejack because he didn't even have enough interaction with her.

When AJ chased him, he ran and looked for protection in Flim and Flam, then at the swimming competition he believed not being honest was the best policy after not interacting with AJ at all about it, and at the end, he was nowhere around and he randomly appeared and learned a shiton stuff about honesty and gave her a coin that he should have returned to the original owner, that part seemed so forced to me, it actually annoyed me.

It seems that anyone that approaches Silver Shill again into doing something 'bad' will be succcessful at it, because he lacks character and individuality. Leap of Faith was very dissapointing, I was looking forward to AJ's key episode.

• Brohoof 1

A useless rushed key character that probably should have never existed. Seriously? Running out of ideas? Might as well jump in a canoe filled with frickin sharks with frickin lazer beams on their heads.

• 3 months later...