Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your "quiet pleasures"?

Discordian

(edited)

What I mean by a quiet pleasure is something that you love to do but don't feel the need to talk about it with people. We all have our things we love to talk to others about and things we love to brag to be a part of at times but sometimes we just have something that we do that we don't feel the need to talk to others about very often even if we like it a lot.

For me it's Spongebob. I probably like Spongebob more than I do any other TV show. As a cartoon enthusiast I love to talk about what shows I watch but in Spongebob's case I just watch the show in blissful quietude and don't really talk about it with many people.

Edited by Discordian

Most things as I'm quiet in general. But I guess it would be that I like history, it's not the most interesting subject for most people. Also cartoons, it seems like it isn't really expected at my age to enjoy cartoons as much as I do. Though it doesn't stop me from talking about it, but still. Then it's anime it seems like it's still not really known. Or people have misconceptions about it, but when I speak about it I try explaining. Like one time I was talking about cartoons, they said most newer cartoons suck compared to the older ones. Though I agree that most of the older cartoons are great I can't say the newer ones suck as there are many good ones still out there.

• Brohoof 3

I'll assume that "guilty pleasures" are similar to "quiet pleasures ". In which case, Xanadu (the musical) would probably be the biggest one, then for the sake of not getting to personal, I'll leave out the other ones.

Generally, outside of the instruments I love to play, and being in orchestra (plus past band/orchestra experiences) I'm pretty quiet about my interests. Sometimes I'll go into detail about my tastes in music. Generally, I just avoid anything past that, though.

Several years ago I would have been a lot more open.. Proudly displaying which video games, anime, cartoons, and music (in more detail), I enjoy. However, eventually I began to realize that people being outward about their fandoms becomes annoying, like those friends of mine on FB who only post fandom stuff. I wanted to avoid becoming like that, so I just stopped talking altogether. lol

Nevertheless, if somebody brings up video games/anime/cartoons/music, I will be vocal about it. But the only thing I will ever flaunt is, of course, my instruments and ensemble playing. lol

• Brohoof 2

I'm pretty vocal about the things I love on the internet, but not so much in real life. If I had a lot off really geeky friends it might be different, but I'm always the geeky one in my social circles. If I were to talk fandom, my friends wouldn't have a clue what anything meant.

One thing I never talk about in real life, despite it being very important to me, is my original story. A lot of the art I draw and the characters I write about are part of a world I've been building for years, which I one day plan to turn into a series of some sort. Either a graphic novel, or more likely, an illustrated book. A lot of my creative energies get poured into that world, those characters and their stories. I share a lot of it on Tumblr. But to speak to me in real life, you'd never know. (Unless you catch me drawing my OC's. And even then I'll usually just say "oh, I made him/her up, his/her name's x" and leave it at that.)

• Brohoof 5

• 9 months later...

I'm not the most vocal of people, so everything is a quiet pleasure for me :P But, I guess going for long walks is one of mine; I used to walk an hour to Sixth Form and an hour back later on, even with a bus service perfectly available and the soles of my feet with blisters at times :)

Sitting down in my room in silence when no one is home and thinking, letting my imagination wander where ever the hell it wants, just going to my own worlds I have developed in my head, doing this before bed also helps to have a chance at influencing my dreams so that is a plus, but yeah my 'Quiet Pleasure' is being alone to think.

• Brohoof 2

Me singing. I like to sing on my own time but would never do it in front of others. I also never bring it up cuz then people will be like "let me hear you sing" And I'll be all  :blush: "No-no it's alright" 

• Brohoof 4

As much as I like MLP, I don't really like to talk about it. Especially the show. I try and avoid the show discussion section as much as possible.

There are few topics that I feel compelled to comment on there.

I also don't talk about it in person, except for meetups, and even then not much.

• Brohoof 2

Anaerobic exercise is something I engage in as a personal  interest and not something I typically discuss with others. Meditation often coincides with this afterwards and that is typically a quiet activity. 

Hmm, I really like long, steady walks alone, preferably with my MP3 player, maybe after dark on and some good tracks- my imagination just runs wild and it's incredibly enjoyable- when I get offered a lift to, say, Sixth or somewhere and there's no good reason to turn it down, I get a bit antsy 'cos I miss out on the walking time.

Also, writing. I know, I know, It's in my sig and I take pride in my Fimfiction (40:0 Likes:dislikes on my best, woot!) but there's different sorts: There's the writing you do for people to read, then there's the writing you do that you don't write for anyone but yourself. Sounds odd, I guess, but it's often really creative, or interesting, or trash, and It's just...Nice. I'm not saying I don't enjoy writing for other people, but It's just as good, and a little more 'private'.

singing mlp songs when  there noones home  :blush:

singing mlp songs when  there noones home  :blush:

I wish I could sing in my room at all. I have to sing in my car since I live in a dorm room :(

I'm pretty vocal about the things I love on the internet, but not so much in real life. If I had a lot off really geeky friends it might be different, but I'm always the geeky one in my social circles. If I were to talk fandom, my friends wouldn't have a clue what anything meant.

One thing I never talk about in real life, despite it being very important to me, is my original story. A lot of the art I draw and the characters I write about are part of a world I've been building for years, which I one day plan to turn into a series of some sort. Either a graphic novel, or more likely, an illustrated book. A lot of my creative energies get poured into that world, those characters and their stories. I share a lot of it on Tumblr. But to speak to me in real life, you'd never know. (Unless you catch me drawing my OC's. And even then I'll usually just say "oh, I made him/her up, his/her name's x" and leave it at that.)

Same here, except my story sometimes haunts me... which means I gotta be doing something right. Plus, what's great about writing, there is no limit, of course. You can never stop!