Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unconscious habits.

SkyDream

Or maybe unconscious habits that are actually kind of conscious but you just don't care.

There are these spots on top of my fingers that are really really really really really really smooth, and I can't help but stroke them with my other assorted fingers whenever I'm bored or idle or breathing or existing at all. It's an unconscious habit.

I think I have also adopted flufflepuff sounds. I *pop* fairly often nowadays upon completion of a delicious liquid treat, and none are the wiser. Unless they too join in the popping, and we pop long into the night. Popping. Popping until we're pooped. From popping.

I also have a slightly less than unconscious habit of hiding my sex and my gender online. Sometimes I let it slip that I am in fact one with the female side of the universe, but other times I just can't hide it that I am male, even though that directly contradicts the first half of this very sentence. I am completely okay with this, and it just makes it easier to be a dog on the internet.

• Brohoof 1

I often bite my nails, unconsciously. (Ew, gross am I right?) I just really can't help it.

I have a bad habit of cracking my knuckles, that's something I do a lot.

I have a habit of holding guitar picks in my mouth, like that's where I always have it, when I'm thinking. (Don't accept a pick from me)

That's really all I can think of right now...

• Brohoof 1

Some unconscious habits of mine include:

Biting my nails. I do this way to much, not just when I am nervous. I bite my nails so much that I rarely have nails except on the tops of my fingers. It just sorta happens without me realizing it usually.

Popping fingers. Again I do this all the time. I also pop my neck. It's kinda comforting actually. Like I do it because it makes me feel at ease, but I still do this quite a bit.

Bouncing my leg. Now this one really does happen without me realizing it. I will just be sitting there then suddenly my leg is shaking and until someone says something I don't realize it.

These are just a few.

(edited)

I tend to 'mimic' whatever song is playing at the moment by tapping my fingers (or, my nails, usually) on the desk, or whatever other surface is available (even my face sometimes ... I don't know why). Even if it's a song I don't really know, I'll still do it, although with less complexity/intensity. :P

I also have a constant habit of cleaning out the underside of my fingernails. :blink:

Edited by Sir Jackleberry
  • Brohoof 1

I still check for exits in buildings without thinking. First thing I do when walking into a room or building is automatically check or another exit. I also still get really jumpy at stop lights/signs and will begin looking around erratically.

I'll also fiddle with things constantly. When sitting around for lengthy periods of time I will begin just grabing things at random.

• Brohoof 1

These movements are called "subconscious movements"~

Ah I just caught myself doing one after typing that~ I lace my fingers together and start rubbing them against each other. It's very soothing. 

Other ones I do, is caress my thumbs and index fingers. 

And another one that freaked out my grandfather-in-law a long time ago, is I stroke my legs or rub my knees while sitting down and don't even realize it part of the time. 

I grind my teeth, bite my fingernails and am an uncontrollable fidgeter. My hands always need to be busy/have something in them (this sometimes is a problem because I end up rolling the edges of important papers or doing other unconsciously destructive things).

Hm. Well I tap my foot, or just shake my leg a lot sometimes.

I also change the position of my legs alot, many times when i'm sitting I put them up on my chair close to me, because idk. But the position changes pretty frequently.

I peel off my fingernails sometimes, I try to cut them before I do so, but doesn't always work.

I tap on stuff sometimes like a drum when i'm bored.

I make random noises sometimes when I'm bored if that counts.

I clean out the dirt from under my fingernails a lot, because for some reason it always gets in there, and I always feel compelled to get rid of it.

I often bite my nails, unconsciously. (Ew, gross am I right?) I just really can't help it.

I have a bad habit of cracking my knuckles, that's something I do a lot.

I have a habit of holding guitar picks in my mouth, like that's where I always have it, when I'm thinking. (Don't accept a pick from me)

That's really all I can think of right now...

I end up finding myself using my guitar pick to clean the dirt from under my fingernails. Ever since I started learning guitar that is ;p. For some reason they work quite well for it too.

I bite my fingernails. That seems to be a classic thing that people do.

Another thing, I always walk with my arms crossed behind my back. I just cannot keep them alongside my body.  

I tap my foot and shake my leg, especially when I'm nervous or in class.

I tend to bite my lip without noticing to the point of it bleeding. I also lick my lips as well when I'm stressed.

Playing with my hair, like I literally don't even realize I am doing it most of the time.

I say "like" "ohemgee" "What the what?" "What the huh?" and a bunch of other words way too much.

If I get really stressed out I'll start chewing on pens, it's rather unsettling. I used to chew the erasers off of every pencil in sight when I was younger.

I bite my nails, and shake my nails when I get bored.

I try to mimic music by tapping my fingers every time I listen to music.

Whenever I feel stressed or depressed, which surprisingly happens a lot, I just start running my fingers through my hair.

I always fall asleep and somehow wake up with my hands in my pants.

just to list a few.

• 5 years later...

I have a bad habit of chewing the fingers on my left hand (that's right, the actual fingers, not just the nails) at times when I'm both concentrating very hard on something and on edge about that thing. That's why all of my left hand fingers are swollen while my right hand is perfect lol

anxiety is not a good thing

I have a lot of nervous habits because, you know, anxiety. That includes pacing, tapping my fingers on whatever hard surface is in front of me, tapping my foot, bouncing my leg up and down if I'm sitting....all pretty common habits really. 

Oh, and eating ice is another big one. I also used to twirl my hair a lot when I was younger but I suppose I grew out of that. 

I'm consciously aware of my unconscious habit, which is having a habit of scratching anywhere from my neck to my face. Mostly on the chin. 

Whenever I'm out with people like in the mall or something I like to hold their hands. If we're just at my house watching TV, I like to cuddle.

I never really notice when I actually do it, though.

But I also don't care.

10 hours ago, Emerald<3 said:

Whenever I'm out with people like in the mall or something I like to hold their hands. If we're just at my house watching TV, I like to cuddle.

I never really notice when I actually do it, though.

But I also don't care.

Why is that cute

Here's a list of mine.

• I bite my lower lip whenever I feel troubled
  • If I have a disagreeable thought I will randomly yell out "HA!" or "NO WAY!" in an attempt to dispel it from my mind
  • I rest the side of my head against my fist when sitting at a desk/table
  • I rock side to side on my stool when listening to music
  • I steeple my fingers when sitting at a desk/table while contemplating something, often resting my nose against my index fingers
  • I make a perfect triangle shape with my thumbs and index fingers and rest my forehead against the tips of my index fingers when trying to calm my mind down
  • I try to bite my nails when something is going according to plan (often become concious minded enough to stop myself)
  • I hold my right arm behind my back and lightly rock back and forth
  • I randomly start pacing about when I'm thinking about something
  • Brohoof 1