Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Cool Games You Can Play With A Crappy PC.

remove p l e a s e ?

Http://reddit.com/r/lowendgaming

Awesome subreddit for exactly this.

Anyway, any fan of RPGs should try Morrowind. It's one of the best RPGs ever made, and it has a still active modding community. It'll run on just about anything, and if you do have a high end machine, you can get super awesome graphics mods for it that make it look as good, if not better, than Skyrim.

(edited)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

F.E.A.R 1, F.E.A.R Extraction Point, F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate.

Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, Fallout 3.

DOOM 3, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil.

Quake 4, 3, 2, 1.

Far Cry 1.

Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4.

BioShock 1.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 1.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Rainbow Six Gold.

System Shock 2.

Thief Gold, Thief 2.

Mafia.

Max Payne 1, Max Payne 2.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Half Life, Half Life Blue Shift, Half Life Opposing Forces.

Oblivion.

Morrowind.

Project Eden.

Blitzkrieg, Blitzkrieg 2.

Diablo 1, Diablo 2.

Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2.

Red Faction, Red Faction 2.

Deus Ex.

SWAT 3, SWAT 4.

Solder of Fortune 1, Soldier of Fortune 2.

Hidden & Dangerous 2.

Rogue Trooper.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

etc, etc..

Edited by Guest

A forenote: to all those using Windows 8 who feel all up to date and cool, the start overlay is severely limiting your performance. Unless the machine running it is a well-built computer meant to deal with the extra stress, it won't play youtube videos well (frame skipping), games run slower, and everything overall gets hung up by this useless feature. It just doesn't make sense to limit the entire machine like that. It's like turbo buttons on computers. Look it up.

On my potato, I can play Dota 2 okay, TF2 runs fine, Terraria, and possibly Starbound.

Yeah, I hate Windows 8. I don't see why they would make an already weak Gateway SX (Reminder: Don't buy from Gateway EVER AGAIN.) have even more pressure thanks to a bloated GUI.

Is there anyone around here who knows how to remove or tone down the thing?

Yeah, I hate Windows 8. I don't see why they would make an already weak Gateway SX (Reminder: Don't buy from Gateway EVER AGAIN.) have even more pressure thanks to a bloated GUI.

Is there anyone around here who knows how to remove or tone down the thing?

You can get Linux. Or find someone who can get you a free (but illegal) copy of Windows 7 to download. Linux is a great operating system, but most programs aren't written for it. Windows and Mac formats are usually a priority for games and such, but most Steam games are supported by Linux.

I actually did, everything down, including the resolution.

Roblox's community isn't really that bad, it's just filled with ODers, hackers and annoying spoiled brats. But there's actually some people who are friendly :P

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would want to be playing a game filled with ODers, hackers, and annoying spoiled brats.  :unsure:

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing back an old thread here.

XCOM: UFO Defense is an awesome game. 

What!? You want to get an ultra powerful PC just to play the new Enemy Unkown!?

WELL SCREW YOU! UFO DEFENSE IS BETTER!

UFO Defense is just a plain masterpiece and holy crap is it hard! I'm only starting to play at the easiest difficulty and one-by-one my soldiers die left and right.

Get it on Steam, NOW!

• Brohoof 1

Warcaft III: The Frozen Throne [RTS]

Starcraft: Broodwar / SC 2 [RTS]

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors [RTS]

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War (Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm) series [RTS]

Unreal Tournament 2k4 [FPS]

Disciples II [Turn based strategy]

Sacred: Underworld [RPG/hack'n'slash]

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne [RPG/hack'n'slash]

The Elder Scrolls series: Morrowind; Oblivion; Skyrim [Action-adventure with RPG elements]

Devil May Cry 3; 4 [Action/TPP]

Disciples II [Turn based strategy]

Neverwinter Nights I & II [RPG]

F.E.A.R. (1 & 2 at least) [FPS]

Command & Conquer series (Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, Generals, Red Alert 3, Tiberium Wars etc) [RTS]

Mount & Blade [uh... TPP action rpg?]

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast [TPP/FPS/TPS action]

Star Wars: KOTOR I & II [RPG/TPP]

Prince of Persia series (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, The Two Thrones) [TPP action]

Halo series (Combat Evolved, 2, 3 etc, don't know much about the series) [FPS]

Aliens vs Predator 2 [FPS]

Black & White 1 and 2 [...unique RTS]

Star Wars: Republic Commando (this one is a MUST) [FPS]

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts/Tales of Valor [RTS]

GTA series [TPS/FPS... but there's more to it]

Amnesia [Horror Adventure]

Stronghold: Crusader [RTS]

Homeworld 2 [RTS in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE]

Heroes of Might and Magic III, V, maybe VI [Turn Based Strategy, fantastic one]

Aquaria [2d Adventure, Shooter, Fantastic again]

Red Faction series (least 1&2) [FPS]

Left 4 Dead 2 [FPS/Online FPS]

Far Cry 1&2 [FPS]

Half Life (Blue Shift, Opposing Force), Half Life 2 (Episode One, Episode Two) [FPS]

Max Payne 1&2 [TPS]

Soldier of Fortune 1&2 [FPS]

Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 2 (most brainless shooters ever, but really entertaining) [FPS]

Star Wars: Battlefront II [TPP/TPS]

The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King (rpgish one), The Lord of The Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II: Rise of the Witch King [RTS]

Bolded are the ones I recommend personally.

Bolded and underlined is a one which is heavily underrated, but EXTREMELY well made game which I believe ANYONE should play if he likes FPS.

Almost any Source engine game...

I don't know how, but games run on Source can run almost on all computers and rigs,

The loading times will be kinda long... but the 3 minutes is worth it.

Other games are 2D games, 2D games can run a PC really quickly and (unless it's lock) have a decent frame rate..

Games like...

Battleblock Theater

Castle Crashers

Papers Please

FLT: Faster Then Light

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Scribblenauts Unmasked

Awesomenauts

Bastion

Terraria

That's about it...

What is your graphics card?

Any Call of Duty until MW1

GTA San Andreas

Unreal tournament (I think the Third will run on Low Settings)

Left 4 Dead (Lowest Settings)

Counter-Strike 1.6,CZ,Source (Source with low settings)

Half-Life 1,2 and the 2 episodes

Any source engine game (e.g. Team Fortress 2, Portal series, Left 4 Dead series, Half Life series)

Fallout 3

Fallout New Vegas

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Super Meat Boy

Game Dev Tycoon

Hotline Miami

A-hahahaha!  My computer probably couldn't handle the majority of games in this thread lol.  It's so very, very sad.  Heck, my comp can barely handle these forums. xD

BUT, I can sorta play some games (some only when utilizing DOSBox):

Drakkhen - Never heard of it?  That's okay. xD

Arena - The 1st Elder Scrolls game.

Daggerfall - The 2nd Elder Scrolls game; Morrowind would likely be asking waaay too much lol.

Diablo

Diablo 2 (in theory)

Puzzle Quest

Warcraft 1 / 2

SimCity 2000 (the BEST SimCity)

Hexen

Minesweeper lol

Roms, but nothing 3D beyond Nintendo 64 (heck those may not even run lol)

^ Not that I, er, necessarily OWN any Roms because I'm an upstanding citizen of the internet blah blah blah (actually I own several physical copies of 8-bit and 16-bit games and BUY classics via the digital stores).

L4D1 (Small community, not too welcoming to new players)

Terraria (DEFINITELY play this one)

Dota 2 (with heavy use of configs and mods)

League of Legends

Counter-strike

OSRS ($7 a month to play, I fucking love it though)

and basically every emulated 80s and 90s console game

Deus Ex Goty 2000 is a classic you should play.

Age Of Mythology also. These games can run on a toaster but if you don't care about amazing graphics the gameplay and soundtrack is top notch.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

Terraria, unreal tournament 99, Warcraft 1-3, Diablo 1-2, Need for speed most wanted.....

I have all these games and I can run them off of any functioning computer, though Terraria is my favorite listed.

Freedom Planet.

Excellent 2D platforming that takes elements from older games, but also has the common sense to alter said mechanics sufficiently enough so that it all ties together beautifully.

What more could you ask for?

...Okay, yeah, you could ask for better writing, but the games still really good.

Terraria, unreal tournament 99, Warcraft 1-3, Diablo 1-2, Need for speed most wanted.....

I have all these games and I can run them off of any functioning computer, though Terraria is my favorite listed.

You ever play 'edge of space'? I was massively disappointed with the game and wondered if Terraria was like it.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

System Shock 2. It was released in 1999 and a toaster could run it.

Circuit_Shodan_II.jpg

The storyline is immersing, there's a lot to explore aboard the Von Braun, and the atmosphere is immersing enough to make you want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Scariest part about that last part is that it's a game that can make a grown man soil his pants - it's just so immersing and frightening, you'll often find yourself pausing out of fear or sitting with your back against the wall so nothing can sneak up behind you. If you think you're brave, you haven't played this game yet. 

It starts off as being a bit of a fair kind of scary - you get jumpy and shake it off, thinking "holy shit, they got me good" to just being an unfair kind of scary, where you can't sleep at night. You'll feel your palms getting clammy and sweaty as you play, pressure will build up inside of your chest - you'll want to move, but you can't. You want to leave the game, but at the same time, you don't. It gets batshit intense as it goes on and I have been on the verge of crying out of fear more than once. It begins to screw with your mind in ways that videogames never have before.

Also, think of it this way - it's the spiritual successor to the Bioshock series AND was the main source of inspiration for the Dead Space series, so without it, it's very likely neither of those two series would have even existed. It's a hybrid between the two in terms of gameplay, and it messes with you in a way that just gets you on such a psychological level you can't help but enjoy it.

It also requires a degree of strategy and plays itself like an RPG just as much as it plays like an FPS.

Seriously. Put Half-Life and QUAKE aside and buy this game as soon as you can. Anything can run it (I ran it on a machine running P4 with 1GB RAM, for christ's sake) and it's something that's far ahead of it's time. 

You're really missing out if you don't buy this game.

You ever play 'edge of space'? I was massively disappointed with the game and wondered if Terraria was like it.

The building/construction is just about the same, but the few minutes I've seen I think they are still two completely different games.

Edge of Space is still in early access too, so it may or may not get better....

Terraria

Actually, as someone who's tried running Terraria on a crappy PC, that's not true. It doesn't require a lot, but the same computer that couldn't run Terraria was able to run Mount & Blade: Warband and Star Wars: Battlefront II :please:

I'm able to run it smoothly on the machine I have now, but before this, I had it sitting in my Steam library, completely unable to play it :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I have one: Sub Rosa.

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF SUB ROSA!?

Well, it's a game made by one guy, and one guy only. It's similar to Counter-Strike, but with a voxel art-style. It's pretty fun to play with friends.

Because of the simple models, textures, etc. It's a friendly program towards your toaster. It might not work on old crap PCs, but it definiteley works on new crap PCs.

To make things better, it's also is nice towards people with bad internet. 

But there's one problem... NOT MANY PEOPLE PLAY IT. There are like eight servers with only three other people on each one. 

So please, spread the word about this game, tell all your buddies.

Also, my brother had luck with Zeno Clash on his Gateway SX. It ran at about 20FPS, but hey, Ocarina of Time ran at 16FPS at low! 20FPS is the absolute lowest you'll ever need. It's a pretty nice game, might pick that up on Steam as well.

Edited by Kilobyte_Writer9K