Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Catchphrases (or phrases in general) you dislike or don't understand

skbl17

Do you have any catchphrases or phrases that you dislike or don't understand, be it from fiction or reality (it doesn't have to be from MLP or even fiction)? I have two from television series and movies, but this post does not imply that I dislike the particular work or its fans.

• "To infinity and beyond!" (Toy Story): Yes, I know that the following explanation will make me sound like a semi-bitter cynic, but whatever. Sure, the phrase sounds cool, but it never really made any logical sense. You can't go beyond infinity; it's impossible. In fact, Merriam-Webster defines infinity as "the quality of having no limits or end." Getting to infinity is tough enough, but going beyond? Impossible! Yes, I get the whole "with enough hard work, anything is possible" theme we hear nowadays, but there are some things (like dividing by zero, folding a piece of paper ten thousand times, and transcending infinity) that just can't be done.
  • "Love and tolerate!" (MLP:FiM fanbase): Unlike the previous example, this catchphrase is not from a particular work, but the fanbase surrounding the work (this one!). While the phrase itself has good intentions, specifically dealing with internet trolls, there are certain people, actions, and events that cannot be "loved" or "tolerated", whether small or large in scope and impact. Also, most of the time, the same people who speak of love and toleration then turn around and act much like the ones they seek to "love" and "tolerate", making him or her look hypocritical (I wonder if that will happen in this thread...). Thus, the phrase's implementation is flawed from the beginning.

Feel free to add your own thoughts or opinions below!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me"

I hate this so much. The right words to the right person can do much more damage than broken bones. Anyone who thinks that words can't cause any harm should look at how many people suffering from depression and other mental disorders because of things like bullying. (I realize that bullying can be physical too, but I'd argue that most of it is emotional). I feel like when people say this phrase, they delegitimize the problems people face when dealing with things like that.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 5

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me"

...I feel like when people say this phrase, they delegitimize the problems people face when dealing with things like that.

That isn't the intention of the phrase. The phrase is meant to empower someone who feels they've been hurt by words to try and not let it effect them, to not let the cold words said to them hurt them more.

• Brohoof 1

"Why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free?" - I hate this because I am a woman, not a damn cow.

"I'm not trying to be racist/sexist/etc, but..." - No, actually, you are trying to be racist/sexist/etc. And you are succeeding.

"No homo!" - Why are some people so insecure in their sexuality that they have to reassure themselves and others about it all the time? Like, just stop.

[when giving advice] "Just be yourself!" - Oh. I never thought of that. Thanks for the great insight /sarcasm.

"It could be worse." - Yeah, things could ALWAYS be worse. It doesn't mean I don't have the right to be upset about my current predicament.

• Brohoof 3

"I could care less". Well, I'm glad you care about it a little, then, even though I know that's not what you meant.

"Just saying." I know you're saying it. It doesn't make what you said any better.

"topkek." God dammit SCS.

• Brohoof 2

"Life isn't fair."

A favorite freaking excuse for mean people to run over others.

And holy hell OP, I was thinking of "To infinity and beyond!" too when I saw this thread.

Edited by Windseeker
  • Brohoof 2

"No offense, but..." - This one only bothers me when someone says something offensive after using this. What's the point of saying "no offense", then?

"There's always next time" - Maybe it's just me being impatient, but it still doesn't make up for the fact that I missed getting or doing what I wanted to.

• Brohoof 1

"I'm not trying to be racist/sexist/etc, but..." - No, actually, you are trying to be racist/sexist/etc. And you are succeeding.

My great uncle does this all the time. He'll say, "Now I'm not prejudiced" and will follow it up with some of the most racist things I've ever heard.

• Brohoof 2

"I could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you".

Honestly, which information is that important so you'd have to kill that person?
Yeah I know, it's just sarcastic, but even then it's just stupid to say such things to someone.
Not funny and disturbing.

Edited by Pinklady

"When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade." I know allot of people use this a metaphor for working with what life gives you, but it's so darn over used that DBZ Abridged did their own spin on it. I kinda find it funny, but it does get annoying after a while.

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer

"There's plenty of fish in the sea." Really? Then why was there a point in my life when I felt like I haven't caught any "fish"? It's only more irritating than helpful, especially in a break up when you feel like the only fish out there for you is that specific one you lost.

"There's always next time" - Maybe it's just me being impatient, but it still doesn't make up for the fact that I missed getting or doing what I wanted to.

Déjà vu. I was talking to someone about the last 2 phrases I've mentioned, and you listed the other one. I can't recall where I mentioned it. It's annoying for the same reason, especially when I was so close to success.

"Everyone else works/(whatever)" That doesn't mean I have to or should.

"Life is not fair" Okay. This despicable phrase should have never existed. Not an excuse to make it that way. By the way, that would be untrue if it wasn't made that way.

"Hey, watch this" Don't make me laugh at your stupidity later. It's insulting.

"That's gay" STOP IT RIGHT NOW! OFFENDING PEOPLE REASONLESSLY MAKES YOU LOSE AN OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF CREDIBILITY!!! Just shut your trap. I'll be rude until you stop, and utterly disrespectful, LIKE YOU!

"Love and Tolerate" It's a GOOD thing to live by, I agree. I personally do. But don't use it as an excuse for the unthinkable: hypocrisy.

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper

"Then I took an arrow to the knee." No. Shut up. Go away. Jump off a cliff into a big vat of acid. And then I hope a robot shark eats you. Which is then carried away by an eagle.

"Needs to be about 20% cooler/10 seconds flat." Seriously. Only Rainbow Dash is awesome saying it. Nobody else needs to say it. Nobody else sounds remotely cool saying it. Stahp. For the love of Celestia stop already.

It really bothers me when people say "whatever people do in private is their business", or something similar, when really what they mean is "I don't like what they're doing and they should keep it private and hidden so that I don't have to see it".

This is normally when people are talking about homosexuality and other things.

Ugh... So many phrases these days are just... Bad.

"Swag"

Why? Just... Why? This phrase seems to have no other meaning than "This is what is used to annoy people". It just is an all around bad saying. Although Shakespeare coined it, it has become something much worse than what Shakespeare intended it to be.

"YOLO"

More like YoNO. This phrase popped up as an excuse to live life to the fullest. However, it has become the reason people are acting like idiots. All that ensues from this phrase is chaos. This also goes for the next phrase...

"Hey y'all, watch this!"

There is one rule in my home, and it is NEVER say or do anything that begins with the words, "Hey y'all, watch this!" It always leads to disaster, and I hate it.

"... Tolerate!"

This is part of the MLP fandom motto "Love and Tolerate". However, the "Tolerate" part gets me. If we just sit by and tolerate everything, all that will happen is darkness and evil because we didn't stand up for what is right. Toleration, as defined by the fandom, means to accept everyone no matter what. This can be a problem, because it sometimes contradicts itself, and it will eventually lead to the acceptance of evil. However, tolerance is a good thing to a certain degree, so long as we understand that we cannot accept everything. You just never know when something is really a shadow pretending to be the light.

• Brohoof 1

"YOLO"

I believe in reincarnation, but that's besides the point. IN THEORY, this is a good phrase. The problem comes in when it's used to justify poor decision making.

"Overrated, Underrated"

Why the piss can't I just like or dislike whatever I choose without having to worry about how that opinion compares and contrasts to the opinions of others?

"Pretentious"

How does a game having a moral make it bad?

"(Given piece of media) is perfect and doesn't need to change one bit," and all variants.

No. It isn't. There's faults in everything, and everyone has a right to fair, constructive criticism.

Overuse of text speak: I don't mind the occasional LOL or something like that but some of the textspeak phrases like YOLO sound stupid and a lot of the time I don't even know what the hell the person is even talking about. It just makes people sound lazy and uneducated, I am not saying people need to speak the queens English 24/7 but do we really need to dumb down the English language to such an absurd extent?

Autism as an insult: I am not the PC police here and don't normally quibble over terms but with all the misconceptions about people on the Autism spectrum and everything they and their families have to go through making a mockery out of an extremely complicated issue by turning into another way to call someone an asshole really rubs me the wrong way.

"Stick and stones may break my bones...": This is absolute bullshit, words can hurt in some cases a lot more than sticks and stones can and I know this firsthand.

"Too long didn't read": Really? If you have nothing to say other than that than please kindly shut your mouth. I would much rather someone say noting than just say "oh shucks, I didn't read any of it" it is kind of rude.

"Then I took an arrow to the knee": I can't even begin to say how glad I was when this overused phrase finally died.

Racist, sexist and homophobe used as insults: Yes I know these things still exist despite the long way we have come to combat these things but I have really gotten annoyed at how they have been used as cheap insults to slander people who disagree with. It spits in the face of all the people actually suffering through this stuff and can sometimes make it hard to tell where there are legitimate cases of these things because of all the proverbial "boy who cried wolf" instances thanks to these knuckleheads.

• Brohoof 1

"Too long, didn't read" Then fuck off and die [at the right time according to your age and disposition/in a fire/immediately].

"No offense, but..." - This one only bothers me when someone says something offensive after using this. What's the point of saying "no offense", then?

"That's gay" STOP IT RIGHT NOW! OFFENDING PEOPLE REASONLESSLY MAKES YOU LOSE AN OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF CREDIBILITY!!! Just shut your trap. I'll be rude until you stop, and utterly disrespectful, LIKE YOU!

Oh gosh. I feel these. A lot.

--------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and I also hate the phrases "amazeballs," "awesome sauce," and "cray cray." They just sound goofy and weird to me. My brother says them all the time. Hearing them makes me cringe. X_____X

Another one: "I don't want any drama," or any variation of that. Usually people who say that actually get off on drama and welcome it into their lives on the regular.

• Brohoof 1